Madame Tussauds and Planetarium, London

Marylebone Road, NW1

• Madame Tussauds and Planetarium
    by sparkieplug24
    making a waxwork of hand
  • Madame Tussauds and Planetarium
  • Turska's Profile Photo

Huge disapointment to me

by Turska Written Nov 19, 2009

Many of my friends ahd told,that we shouldn´t visit here-it sounds more fun than it is.But I didin´t listen them.And I wanted to "meet Sting".I´ve been "huge"fan of his,since I was 8! ( Yes,I do listen also other kind of music than metal and gothic ;D )
    So we went.I bought the tickets from the net before we went,and they were much cheaper than bought at the museum.

Why I was I disapointed?The place was so much smaller than I thought,there was allmost none of any intresting people I had waited-and they even had taken Sting away!!!!

So for me there was nothing special.I could see royals close,and many actors I have no idea who they are and so on.My husband liked it little more,because he does watch movies.I don´t.Or maybe sometimes,but there was no-one interesting at the time.
    But-now I have seen it,and don´t need to think should I have seen it..

Some of them is my husband.. Diana and William Is this Samuel L.Jackson?I��m not sure.. I don��t remember the name :D This one I know!But I think you know also!

• MM212's Profile Photo

The London Planetarium & Madame Tussauds

by MM212 Updated Oct 12, 2009

One of the oddest looking structures in London, this bulbous green dome was once known as the London Planetarium. It opened in 1958 and presented astronomical shows to its audiences for decades. Although it was a separate venue, it was owned by the neighbouring Madame Tussauds wax museum. However, in 2006 the London Planetarium was taken over by the wax museum and renamed the Star Dome, accessible only through the museum. Madame Tussauds itself is the original wax museum that in recent decades opened branches globally. Prior to that, visiting the museum was one of the exciting things to do when visiting London, but nowadays, the experience is dampened by the fact that many other cities, from New York City to Shanghai, have their own Madame Tussauds. Still, it is worth stopping by the museum, particularly those who may be travelling with children, to see the life size replicas of world famous characters.

The London Planetarium Madame Tussauds

• apbeaches's Profile Photo

Madame Tussauds Wax Museum

by apbeaches Updated Oct 12, 2009

Marie Tussaud, born Anna Maria Grosholtz (1761–1850) was born in Strasbourg, France. Tussaud created her first wax figure, of Voltaire, in 1777. In her memoirs she claims that she would search through corpses to find the decapitated heads of executed citizens, from which she would make death masks. In 1802, she went to London. As a result of the Franco-British war, she was unable to return to France, so she traveled throughout Great Britain and Ireland exhibiting her wax collection. For a time, it was displayed at the Lyceum Theatre and then she settled down in Baker Street, London, and opened a museum. One of the main attractions of her museum was the Chamber of Horrors. This part of the exhibition included victims of the French Revolution and newly created figures of murderers and other criminals. The name is often credited to a contributor to Punch in 1845, but Marie appears to have originated it herself, using it in advertising as early as 1843. Other famous people were added to the exhibition, including Horatio Nelson, and Sir Walter Scott. Some of the sculptures done by Marie Tussaud herself still exist. The gallery originally contained some 400 different figures, but fire damage in 1925, coupled with German bombs in 1941, has rendered most of these older models defunct. The casts themselves have survived and be seen in the museum’s history exhibit. The oldest figure on display is that of Madame du Barry. Other ancient faces from the time of Tussaud include Robespierre, George III and Benjamin Franklin. In 1842, she made a self portrait which is now on display at the entrance of her museum. She died in her sleep on 15 April 1850.

Madame Tussaud's wax museum has now grown to become a major tourist attraction in London, incorporating the London Planetarium in its west wing. Today's wax figures at Tussauds include historical and royal figures, film stars, sports stars and famous murderers. I was particularly impressed with the demonstration area that presented how the wax figures were made.

Royal Family in Wax

• bjakobss's Profile Photo

Madame Tussauds

by bjakobss Updated Aug 30, 2009

I went there with my 13 year old son, but after five minutes he asked how to get out.....

Slideshow with more photos

• oRi_5's Profile Photo

Madame Tussaud's

by oRi_5 Written Jul 20, 2009

My husband and myself visited Madame Tussaud's in July 09. It was my first visit to London and I had been hearing so much about it that it was the first place I wanted to go. It wasn't what I expected. But I enjoyed it anyway. You basically just wander around from room to room looking for the next celeb you want to take your picture with - after waiting your turn to take the picture obviously. Although it was crammed with people, most were quite civilised and everyone waited patiently to take pictures with the wax celebs. They do quite a good job on most of the models...and you can get a 'professional' shot with some of the popular ones such as Michael Jackson, Obama and the Royal Family which you can buy later.

For those who don't get too scared, there's also the museum of horrors in the basement which shows famous murderers, etc. such as Guy Fawkes. ....Be careful....there are 'actors' hiding behind every corner waiting to come out and scare you!!!

• jusdenise93's Profile Photo

Not just Waxes

by jusdenise93 Updated Jul 18, 2009

Life-size sculptures of celebrities and famous personalities, Marie-Antoinette to Pope John Paul II to Michael Jackson.

All of them are here, it's like getting a VIP pass at a hollywood party.

I have been here twice and they continually update their collection depending on "who's famous" today, they put in different exhibitions and themes.

Last time I was there they had a Big Brother special where you can go inside the Diary Room and seat in the gold chair, where some voice talks to you and then they snap a picture that you can pick up at the photo desk :)

Also, there's aother photo experience with Her Majesty the Queen. ( you can go pick that up at the photo desk). :)

But it's not all waxes, there's also SCREAM where you go in a dark maze and real live people (with costumes and make-up) try to scare you. Mind you I got scared, then again I was only 12. Oh, yeah the minimum age requirement is 12.

But if you're not up for that, you can hop on a black cab and experience London history. It's called the Spirit of London ride. It's worth a ride, especially for kids.

P.S. Don't forget the Planetarium!

Mr. Jack Sparrow and William Turner Marie-Antoinette, Louis XVI and kids Spiderman, Spiderman H.M Queen Elizabeth II Infamous gold  chair in Big Brother House

• Madame Tussaud

by Riaiff Written Jul 14, 2009

Not quite what I expected. Actually I am not sure what I thought I would find visiting this place. It was totally overcrowded, have these people not heard of crowd control? The wax dolls you could only see in a distance, the few that you could get close to was the one's that no-one wanted to be photographed with. I did enjoy the car ride through old London though.

• clueless83's Profile Photo

See the stars!

by clueless83 Written Mar 22, 2009

If you like your celebrities then Madame Tussauds is always fun to do. I have been here about 3 times and it has been different every time. You can mix with famous faces from the past and the present. Some rooms are themed and some of the exhibits have extra touches (the second time I went David Beckham had a heartbeat. The next time I went he didn't but poledancing Britney Spears was breathing).

Some of the waxworks are outstanding (Johnny Depp for example). Some are not (in my opinion the Jennifer Aniston waxwork wasn't too successful and Simon Cowell was boss-eyed). You can mix with faces from movies, television, music and politics. There are also sometimes special exhibitions, we went into the Big Brother diary room and spoke to "Big Brother" which was fun.

There is also a Chamber of Horrors which I think has an age restriction on entering here because it contains gory waxworks in a terrifying atmosphere not suitable for children or people with heart conditions.

Another addition to Tussauds is The Spirit of London ride where you sit in a seat shaped like a taxi cab and are given a tour around London through the decades.

You can see stars of a different kind at the planetarium. In the planetarium you sit in an auditorium and look up to the animated show on the ceiling. The planetarium visit is alot shorter than Madame Tussauds.

Lastly, you can purchase combined tickets to several London attractions. We bought a ticket online that gave us entry to Madame Tussauds and the London Eye. I can't remember how much we saved but if you're planning on doing both then its worth it.

P.S. Don't forget your camera!!!

Captain Jack Sparrow! I think I made The Hulk angry... Riff raff mixing with royalty
    • Photography

• Luchonda's Profile Photo

Visit madame

by Luchonda Updated Feb 21, 2009

A wax museum - located at many places in the world like Amsterdam, Las Vegas, Hongkong and Hollywood, Berlin, London etc. and showing, reproducing living or deseased personalities from the sports world, political and social world and not to forget the show world. The last wax personality must be Obama.
    It is rather expensive to visit the museum of wax rebuilded personalities, but it is a happy site and theme park for families and children.

Madame tussaud Exterior contact
    • Theme Park Trips

• gugi66's Profile Photo

Madame Tussauds

by gugi66 Updated Feb 15, 2009

Everybody knows what Madame Tussauds is but for you who dont know it is waxcabinett with copies of famous people in real size made of wax. They are so well made that sometimes it´s hard to see if it´s a real person or a wax doll. There is a Horror chamer 'the chamber-live' it´s real people who walks around in dark rooms and passages and scares you, not recomendet for people who is easyly frightend or have a week heart, it´s really scary.

This is a place you must go to when your visiting London, here you can take a picture with your favorite superstar.
    *SEE MY VIDEOS AND TRAVELOGUES OF MADAME TUSSAUDS

You can order tickets on the web (it´s a little cheaper, save 10%) and you dont have to stay in line when you get there. You go directly to Priority Access entrance and show your ticket from the web. But ofcours you can buy ticket when you get to Madame Tussauds but the lines to can be wery long.

A ticket to Madame Tussauds costs. Adult 24.47£ (about 30 Euro), Children 20.55£ (about 26 Euro)

Angelina and Brad Ooooooops Britney Spears Golf lessons by Tiger Who is smarter

• DunaKal's Profile Photo

Madame tussaude Museum

by DunaKal Updated Sep 2, 2008

This museum is like no other,it has all the celebrites you can think of,politicians,Artists and sports heroes.....but only made of wax!!
    That`s in the upper level and at the lower level you get to see how England was in the dark ages.
    Best of all I got to hug Nicloas Cage,& John Travolta, my husband didn`t even mind ;-)

My daughter with her favourite celebrities

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

Too Clogged for a Wheelchair

by grandmaR Written May 4, 2008

We got our tickets for Madame Tussaud's (and also the Tower of London) from the Original Bus company. I bought them because I thought my grandson might enjoy it. When our time on the bus ended, we got off at Madame Tussaud's stop.

I asked for a wheelchair, but this was probably a mistake, as the crowds (and the guide said it was an uncrowded day) refused to let the wheelchair through. My grandson said he couldn't really see anything, and neither could I.

I was also disappointed in the figures that I did see because I didn't see people that I expected to see and my grandson said none of his music people were in the music section. He didn't want to do the live actor horror section which you pay extra for, and I wasn't interested in that at all. There was a tram ride through London history that was interesting and my grandson liked the little film at the end.

Queen Elizabeth I from the train My grandson by a French revolutionary (eye move) Street view of the building One of the mannequins (don't know who she is) Disappointing musical section
    • Disabilities

• Jim_edmonds177's Profile Photo

Madame Tussauds and the London Planetarium

by Jim_edmonds177 Updated Dec 20, 2007

come and enjoy the royalty goods at this awsome museum, little ol' Dennis felt like a king, it was like he had never been in museum before. Well I couldn't blame him, he felt really happy about being there. It's nice though cause we got get a feel for some of U.K's idols and celebrities along with tons of other famous people, it's so interesting when you see one and you're "ooh there's Elvis" I love it!!! and we only paid about 15 pounds for our whole tour, it was just awsome to see so much that exists in England that we don't usually hear about. One of the guides there was really mean, I actually remmember his name still (Charles something), not only did he not give us any info but he shrugged poor Dennis away like he didn't even exist. I doubt he still works there but there are several nicer guides and they'll give you all the info that you need.
    Awsome place!

• yurxlnc's Profile Photo

waxworks

by yurxlnc Updated Nov 15, 2007

I visited Madame Tussaud's many many years ago,as a young student on my first visit out of Africa. It was amazing , but expensive . It doesn't seem to have diminished in popularity as every time I go past there are queues to get in.
    Some of the exhibits were positively gruesome, but the celebrities at that time were interesting for a young person to see, if not in the flesh.

Madame Tussaud's

• mazzap's Profile Photo

An Old Favourite!

by mazzap Updated Sep 30, 2007

The last time I came here before today was 20 years ago - possibly more!

Things are much the same but with updated themes. Still lots of pushing and shoving from eager tourists as you wind your way around the halls displaying wax models of world famous people - everyone trying to get their photo taken with the stars! My son had a great time as you can see in the pics!

Entry to the Planetarium is now included in the entry ticket price - but is just so uncomfortable it's hard to enjoy! Neck-ache is inevitable if you do go to the (fortunately) short show. Sit as far to the back of the dome as you can for least discomfort!

The chamber of horrors is still as popular as it ever was - see next tip! An additional payment allows you to access the 'Chamber Live' - a 'scary' experience with a few serial killers on the loose! Have made a return visit recently...there is no longer a charge to access the 'Chamber Live' exhibition! But the overall entrance price was around £25 per adult / £21 for children, which I considered to be extortianate!! If you can get a '2 for 1' voucher before you go, then best to do so!

You will find all the usual amenities - refreshments, disabled access, souvenir shop etc. at Madame Tussauds.

A useful tip - get pre-booked tickets - or prepare to queue for a LONG while!! A familiar sight alongside the outer main building!

Familiar dome of Madame Tussauds and Planetarium Crisp thieves! Josh, Becks & Posh! 3 world leaders? The Royals & Josh

Instant Answers: London