Madame Tussauds and Planetarium, London

Marylebone Road, NW1

• Madame Tussauds and Planetarium
  • Madame Tussauds and Planetarium
    by sparkieplug24
    making a waxwork of hand
  • oRi_5's Profile Photo

by oRi_5 Written Jul 20, 2009

My husband and myself visited Madame Tussaud's in July 09. It was my first visit to London and I had been hearing so much about it that it was the first place I wanted to go. It wasn't what I expected. But I enjoyed it anyway. You basically just wander around from room to room looking for the next celeb you want to take your picture with - after waiting your turn to take the picture obviously. Although it was crammed with people, most were quite civilised and everyone waited patiently to take pictures with the wax celebs. They do quite a good job on most of the models...and you can get a 'professional' shot with some of the popular ones such as Michael Jackson, Obama and the Royal Family which you can buy later.

For those who don't get too scared, there's also the museum of horrors in the basement which shows famous murderers, etc. such as Guy Fawkes. ....Be careful....there are 'actors' hiding behind every corner waiting to come out and scare you!!!

• jusdenise93's Profile Photo

Not just Waxes

by jusdenise93 Updated Jul 18, 2009

Mr. Jack Sparrow and William Turner

Life-size sculptures of celebrities and famous personalities, Marie-Antoinette to Pope John Paul II to Michael Jackson.

All of them are here, it's like getting a VIP pass at a hollywood party.

I have been here twice and they continually update their collection depending on "who's famous" today, they put in different exhibitions and themes.

Last time I was there they had a Big Brother special where you can go inside the Diary Room and seat in the gold chair, where some voice talks to you and then they snap a picture that you can pick up at the photo desk :)

Also, there's aother photo experience with Her Majesty the Queen. ( you can go pick that up at the photo desk). :)

But it's not all waxes, there's also SCREAM where you go in a dark maze and real live people (with costumes and make-up) try to scare you. Mind you I got scared, then again I was only 12. Oh, yeah the minimum age requirement is 12.

But if you're not up for that, you can hop on a black cab and experience London history. It's called the Spirit of London ride. It's worth a ride, especially for kids.

P.S. Don't forget the Planetarium!

• Madame Tussaud

by Riaiff Written Jul 14, 2009

Not quite what I expected. Actually I am not sure what I thought I would find visiting this place. It was totally overcrowded, have these people not heard of crowd control? The wax dolls you could only see in a distance, the few that you could get close to was the one's that no-one wanted to be photographed with. I did enjoy the car ride through old London though.

• clueless83's Profile Photo

See the stars!

by clueless83 Written Mar 22, 2009

Captain Jack Sparrow!

If you like your celebrities then Madame Tussauds is always fun to do. I have been here about 3 times and it has been different every time. You can mix with famous faces from the past and the present. Some rooms are themed and some of the exhibits have extra touches (the second time I went David Beckham had a heartbeat. The next time I went he didn't but poledancing Britney Spears was breathing).

Some of the waxworks are outstanding (Johnny Depp for example). Some are not (in my opinion the Jennifer Aniston waxwork wasn't too successful and Simon Cowell was boss-eyed). You can mix with faces from movies, television, music and politics. There are also sometimes special exhibitions, we went into the Big Brother diary room and spoke to "Big Brother" which was fun.

There is also a Chamber of Horrors which I think has an age restriction on entering here because it contains gory waxworks in a terrifying atmosphere not suitable for children or people with heart conditions.

Another addition to Tussauds is The Spirit of London ride where you sit in a seat shaped like a taxi cab and are given a tour around London through the decades.

You can see stars of a different kind at the planetarium. In the planetarium you sit in an auditorium and look up to the animated show on the ceiling. The planetarium visit is alot shorter than Madame Tussauds.

Lastly, you can purchase combined tickets to several London attractions. We bought a ticket online that gave us entry to Madame Tussauds and the London Eye. I can't remember how much we saved but if you're planning on doing both then its worth it.

P.S. Don't forget your camera!!!

• Photography

• Luchonda's Profile Photo

Visit madame

by Luchonda Updated Feb 21, 2009

Madame tussaud

A wax museum - located at many places in the world like Amsterdam, Las Vegas, Hongkong and Hollywood, Berlin, London etc. and showing, reproducing living or deseased personalities from the sports world, political and social world and not to forget the show world. The last wax personality must be Obama.
    It is rather expensive to visit the museum of wax rebuilded personalities, but it is a happy site and theme park for families and children.

• Theme Park Trips

• gugi66's Profile Photo

Madame Tussauds

by gugi66 Updated Feb 15, 2009

Angelina and Brad

Everybody knows what Madame Tussauds is but for you who dont know it is waxcabinett with copies of famous people in real size made of wax. They are so well made that sometimes it´s hard to see if it´s a real person or a wax doll. There is a Horror chamer 'the chamber-live' it´s real people who walks around in dark rooms and passages and scares you, not recomendet for people who is easyly frightend or have a week heart, it´s really scary.

This is a place you must go to when your visiting London, here you can take a picture with your favorite superstar.
    *SEE MY VIDEOS AND TRAVELOGUES OF MADAME TUSSAUDS

You can order tickets on the web (it´s a little cheaper, save 10%) and you dont have to stay in line when you get there. You go directly to Priority Access entrance and show your ticket from the web. But ofcours you can buy ticket when you get to Madame Tussauds but the lines to can be wery long.

A ticket to Madame Tussauds costs. Adult 24.47£ (about 30 Euro), Children 20.55£ (about 26 Euro)

• DunaKal's Profile Photo

Madame tussaude Museum

by DunaKal Updated Sep 2, 2008

My daughter with her favourite celebrities

This museum is like no other,it has all the celebrites you can think of,politicians,Artists and sports heroes.....but only made of wax!!
    That`s in the upper level and at the lower level you get to see how England was in the dark ages.
    Best of all I got to hug Nicloas Cage,& John Travolta, my husband didn`t even mind ;-)

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

Too Clogged for a Wheelchair

by grandmaR Written May 4, 2008

Queen Elizabeth I from the train

We got our tickets for Madame Tussaud's (and also the Tower of London) from the Original Bus company. I bought them because I thought my grandson might enjoy it. When our time on the bus ended, we got off at Madame Tussaud's stop.

I asked for a wheelchair, but this was probably a mistake, as the crowds (and the guide said it was an uncrowded day) refused to let the wheelchair through. My grandson said he couldn't really see anything, and neither could I.

I was also disappointed in the figures that I did see because I didn't see people that I expected to see and my grandson said none of his music people were in the music section. He didn't want to do the live actor horror section which you pay extra for, and I wasn't interested in that at all. There was a tram ride through London history that was interesting and my grandson liked the little film at the end.

• Disabilities

• Jim_edmonds177's Profile Photo

Madame Tussauds and the London Planetarium

by Jim_edmonds177 Updated Dec 20, 2007

come and enjoy the royalty goods at this awsome museum, little ol' Dennis felt like a king, it was like he had never been in museum before. Well I couldn't blame him, he felt really happy about being there. It's nice though cause we got get a feel for some of U.K's idols and celebrities along with tons of other famous people, it's so interesting when you see one and you're "ooh there's Elvis" I love it!!! and we only paid about 15 pounds for our whole tour, it was just awsome to see so much that exists in England that we don't usually hear about. One of the guides there was really mean, I actually remmember his name still (Charles something), not only did he not give us any info but he shrugged poor Dennis away like he didn't even exist. I doubt he still works there but there are several nicer guides and they'll give you all the info that you need.
    Awsome place!

• yurxlnc's Profile Photo

waxworks

by yurxlnc Updated Nov 15, 2007

Madame Tussaud's

I visited Madame Tussaud's many many years ago,as a young student on my first visit out of Africa. It was amazing , but expensive . It doesn't seem to have diminished in popularity as every time I go past there are queues to get in.
    Some of the exhibits were positively gruesome, but the celebrities at that time were interesting for a young person to see, if not in the flesh.

• mazzap's Profile Photo

An Old Favourite!

by mazzap Updated Sep 30, 2007

Familiar dome of Madame Tussauds and Planetarium

The last time I came here before today was 20 years ago - possibly more!

Things are much the same but with updated themes. Still lots of pushing and shoving from eager tourists as you wind your way around the halls displaying wax models of world famous people - everyone trying to get their photo taken with the stars! My son had a great time as you can see in the pics!

Entry to the Planetarium is now included in the entry ticket price - but is just so uncomfortable it's hard to enjoy! Neck-ache is inevitable if you do go to the (fortunately) short show. Sit as far to the back of the dome as you can for least discomfort!

The chamber of horrors is still as popular as it ever was - see next tip! An additional payment allows you to access the 'Chamber Live' - a 'scary' experience with a few serial killers on the loose! Have made a return visit recently...there is no longer a charge to access the 'Chamber Live' exhibition! But the overall entrance price was around £25 per adult / £21 for children, which I considered to be extortianate!! If you can get a '2 for 1' voucher before you go, then best to do so!

You will find all the usual amenities - refreshments, disabled access, souvenir shop etc. at Madame Tussauds.

A useful tip - get pre-booked tickets - or prepare to queue for a LONG while!! A familiar sight alongside the outer main building!

• Jenniwa's Profile Photo

Wax Everywhere

by Jenniwa Written Apr 19, 2007

That's probably one of the "must do's" while your in London!

Believe me, even though it is quite expensive, you will not regret spending the money!
    If you always wanted to see the Beckhams, take a picture with Robbie Williams or meet elvis - this is the place to go!

• School Holidays

• anaglenny's Profile Photo

Hanging out with old friends!

by anaglenny Written Apr 14, 2007

Hanging out with Angelina and Brad

I wasn't really excited about visiting Madame Tussauds' but I ended over there on Sunday afternoon when I didn't have anything else to do. It was actually fun! Some of the "stars"look real...others not so much...But it was worth it to see my friends' faces when I told them that I have met some of these celebrities in London.

• Eirin's Profile Photo

Madame Tussauds.

by Eirin Written Mar 7, 2007

Madame Tussauds.

Okay, so you really cant go to london for the first time, and not go to madame tussauds. Its a very well done museum, the planetarium left something to the imagination, but the wax figures were very good.

The only problem with madame tussauds - the price! Definitely not recommended for people travelling on a budget! When i went it was 20 pounds PER PERSON to get in! (being from canada, at that time the current exchange rate would have made that 50 dollars, just for admission!)
    I dont know if that was because of the time of year it was (july) or if its always that pricey, but definitely research the price before you go. The wax figures are only worth it, if you REALLY love wax figures.

• ginte's Profile Photo

by ginte Updated Oct 23, 2006

Finally I've visited it during my second stay. My boyfriend and I had lots of fun there. It's really worth a visit. And don't forget your photo camera!:)

You'll find here wax models of famous singers, actors, monarchs, sport stars and many others. And don't forget to visit the Chamber inside the museum...:) Although it is not allowed for people under 18. It can be scary at some moments:)

Instant Answers: London