Flights, London

Various

Know about this? Rate It!

collage of photos on this flight
    by cochinjew
  • Marpessa's Profile Photo

A Long Flight to London

by Marpessa Updated Jan 8, 2006

Onboard Singapore Airlines

I flew to London from Melbourne, Australia (via Singapore). It is about an 8 hour flight from Melbourne to Singapore, then I was in transit and waited at the airport for about 3 and a half hours, then from Singapore to London it took about 12 hours. On such a long flight you really want to fly with a company that is going to keep you comfortable (especially when flying Economy Class like I did).

Singapore Airlines was fantastic, the staff were very friendly and helpful. Service was excellent and I never had to ask for anything. In every seat on your arrival is a pillow and blanket, but there was also a little travel case, with socks, a comb, a toothbrush and toothpaste. The seats are comfortable and adjustable.

The meals were good and differed on each flight, they cater to Vegetarians and Vegan (although you have to organize this when buying your tickets as it comes under ‘special’ meal).

But the best thing about Singapore Airlines is the entertainment – KrisWorld! They have a selection of over 100 programmes (movies and TV programmes from all over the world), over 200 music CDs (of all genres) as well as video games, the flight plan of your plane and much more.

I have flown over to Europe and back twice, and of the two airlines I’ve flown, I found Singapore Airlines to be the better company.

To view photos I took on the plane while flying to London, please check out my Pictures From The Air!!! travelogue from my homepage.

• Study Abroad

• Maximilian21's Profile Photo

Flight BA

by Maximilian21 Written Apr 8, 2005

Ive flown many airlines to London. British Airways, Air Britanica, Thai Air, KLM, Luftansa, Air France.
    I honestly the flight, regardless of what airline you fly, when your in economy class for almost 30 hours from Sydney it can be like torture.

• Pravatti's Profile Photo

Cheap flights

by Pravatti Written Mar 9, 2005

If you're not afraid of planes then you should go to london by ryanair or some other cheap flights companies.and I booked 2 months earlier so the price was ridicilous.Price doesn't include food or drink in plane and the baggage limit is 15kg.

• ZanieOR's Profile Photo

Coach class let down

by ZanieOR Updated Feb 19, 2005

All the peons in coach class!

On the way back to Portland, the flight was somewhat of a let-down as we not upgraded and traveled coach class, which of course is what we paid for.

I kept saying, "Where's my little TV set; I want my little TV set." When we were in business class I particularly liked when they showed images of where our flight was in relation to the countries as we approached Europe.
    However, at least we had side seats instead of in the wide middle aisle.

Lufthansa also let us down in Frankfurt, and we almost missed our connecting flight to Portland.
    Instead of taxi-ing to a terminal and unloading, we stopped a long way away with a bunch of other planes, and we waited and waited and waited and they wouldn't let us off. It turned out there was a computer problem affecting the shuttle bus that was supposed to take us to the terminal. They finally let us off, and then we waited some more, watching busses pass us by.

There were some pretty upset passengers!
    A bus finally did come, then of course we had to go through security etc. Luckily they held our plane, as there were other passengers too.

Flying to London is more fun than flying home, for more reasons than one!

• Women's Travel

• ZanieOR's Profile Photo

Business class on Lufthansa!

by ZanieOR Written Feb 19, 2005

Business class above Lufthansa airlines.

We flew round trip from/to London from Portland, Oregon, aboard Lufthansa airlines, which flew non-stop to Frankfurt, German (I've been in Germany!!), and then we changed planes in Frankfurt for the relatively short trip to Heathrow.

It was my first international flight and a long one, but it was made immensely more enjoyable by the fact that at PDX airport in Portland we were upgraded unexpectedly and for no reason from coach to business class.
    What a difference! Special menus, more space, little amenities that I'd never before experienced (a little travel bag with such things as eyeshades and stockings). I really enjoyed having my own little television set attached to my seat.
    Coach cost was $831so I don't know what the business tickets would have cost.

I couldn't help but go back and take a photo of the poor peons in coach. Of course on the return trip, that was us and an entirely different story (see next tip).

• belgrade03's Profile Photo

Fly with British Airways

by belgrade03 Written Dec 8, 2004

with BA above the clouds

I flew with BA for the first time last month to London and found their service excellent. People are very kind and smiling, everything is just perfect both on board and at the Heathorw airport. Look forward to flying with BA again.

• adventerrtravel22's Profile Photo

Getting there from USA

by adventerrtravel22 Updated Sep 8, 2004

American Airlines L1011

I flew American Airlines from JFK to London-Heathrow. They have about 6 flights a day going and coming from Heathrow. They leave about every 2 hours. Good flight with no delays and plenty of security.

• Pakistaniguy's Profile Photo

Flying from London to Iceland

by Pakistaniguy Written Sep 8, 2004

Nowdays there are some interesting offers from Iceland Air for flying from UK airports to Iceland. Such as you can fly from London to Keflavik Int'l (KEF) by paying 164 GBP return including taxes. These are special non-refundable restricted fares. So if u are interested then you should book it on opodo.co.uk now ;-)

• AngelAmanda5546's Profile Photo

Airline to take- Virgin

by AngelAmanda5546 Written Sep 4, 2004

This is the greatest airline that I've ever been on. You get free goodybags:

º backpack
    º pen
    º tissues
    º facial wash cloth
    º purse/pouch

Kids also can get FREE K-ID backpacks with goodys in it(as well as the goodybags)

They give you free drinks and refills
    The food is great
    It has TV's in the back of each seat that include:

º Movies(more than 40)
    º TV Shows(all ages)
    º Video Games(latest ones like Mario)
    º Kids stuff
    º Sky Map(shows you where you are)
    º Radio
    º CD Albums
    º Learn Spanish
    º Audio Books(that are read to you)

That is all just in Economy. If you want to fly premium economy or upper class you get all that and more goodies.

Premium Economy:

You get checked in faster, the seats are bigger, you get more gree goodies.

Upper Class:

º You get a suite inside the plane where you have your own sleeping area, dinning area, and work area(all seperate).

º Bar

º You get your own private driver to pick you up, and drop you off to and from the airport

º Massage's

Virgin Atlantic has the Best Service Available

• wjstallings's Profile Photo

British Airways

by wjstallings Written Jun 7, 2004

We took a British Airways flight and thoroughly enjoyed it. We rode in the Club World section and the seats were excellent. The seats reclined flat and we had footrest. Each seat had a divider between seats.

We were constantly being offered food and drinks. Great flight!

• A2002's Profile Photo

By air.

by A2002 Updated Jun 7, 2004

I realise many VTers arrive in London from Europe or will be travelling around Europe from London. So I will put this tip here:

Low cost airline:
    www.easyjet.com
    www.bmibaby.com
    www.berlinair.com
    www.germanwings.com
    www.ryanair.com
    For the low cost airline, if you book near the dates or on the spot, it gonna be more expensive than the normal commercial airline.
    British Airways, British Midlands, KLM and Lufthansa seems to have slashed their prices from UK to Europe. It is worth checking them out too.
    Virgin has a low cost subsidiary too and they operate within Europe but not from UK.

For other deals:
    www.bargainflights.com

• Rahel's Profile Photo

Not two hours

by Rahel Written Feb 4, 2004

From Zurich to London it only takes you only a flight of one hour and a half. A comfortable way to get there. Getting to the airport, check-in, check-out, getting to the hotel etc. takes you longer than the flight itself. But no deal, we go there anyway.

• morgane1692's Profile Photo

a great way to get btwn London and Europe...

by morgane1692 Updated Aug 8, 2003

FREE onboard mag!  woohoo!

The biiig drawback here, for convenience's sake, is that Easyjet doesn't serve Heathrow itself. This makes using it as a smooth connection from North America just about impossible. But if you're already in Europe, or London for that matter, check this carrier out for some fabulous online deals...it all depends on how popular a route is, how far in advance you book, yada yada yada, and you do have to remember taxes are an addition to the initial quoted fares...but the prices can be amazing, nonetheless...

• martin_nl's Profile Photo

Flying to London from Amsterdam

by martin_nl Written Jul 15, 2003

To get to London it is easiest and cheapest to choose on of the low-budget companies like Easyjet or Ryanair. We chose Easyjet, as I live near Amsterdam Airport and Ryanair doesn't fly from here. Easyjet will fly from Amsterdam to Luton and Gatwick, to fly to Luton is cheaper on most flights. I paid around 100 EURO's, which is quite expensive for an easyjet flight to London, because I booked relatively late. The fare for a single ticket can start already at 14.90 incl. taxes!

Recently Basiqair also started to fly to London. Basqair flies to Stansted and fares start at 9 EUR one way excl. taxes.

Ryanair flies to London Stansted from the dutch airports Eindhoven, Groningen and Maastricht.

BMI flies to Heathrow from Amsterdam....return fare as low as 112 EUR incl. taxes.

• Sharon's Profile Photo

Flying to London ?

by Sharon Updated Jun 30, 2003

The National Company is British Airways, though you can surly fly with most of others companies.
    London and the area got few Big Airports:
    Heathrow (the National Airport), Gatwick, Luton & Stansted.
    Its very easy to get to London from most destination just be aware that from the other airports it can be a bit more difficult to catch a train sometimes.

For checking flights with British airways:
    www.ba.com