Flights, London

Various

Know about this? Rate It!

collage of photos on this flight
    by cochinjew
  • Flights
    by cjg1
  • Flights
    by cjg1
  • angiebabe's Profile Photo

a great base for flights around europe!

by angiebabe Updated Oct 19, 2007

One of the major highlights of living in London is the access to great priced flights to so many destinations around Europe - with some great competition we have some great bargains available, particularly now that everyones online - so for those coming to see London bear in mind the itineraries you can create before you leave home!

Flights can be linked around Europe. Check out the websites & click on their maps of their destinations to see what links can be made, also calendar/price tables so that you check what prices on what days as prices change from day to day.
    and certainly the earlier is usually the better but from time to time prices drop closer to the flight time.

Recommended Budget airlines: www.easyjet.com fly to great destinations including Moroccco and Greece and way up to Riga and Tallinn in the Baltics.

Check out British Airways www.ba.com who run a lot of routes in competition with these budget airlines and some great deals can be had with them along with nicer seating, inflight meals and drinks still included. esp routes to Spain and Gibraltar.

Moroccan company www.atlas-blue.com do some great deals to Morocco and around Europe such as Italy, France, Switzerland, the Netherlands.

www.ryanair.com are very budget airlines tho expensive close to flight departure times and are NOT able to be booked online on day of departure ie only at the airport for a set £180 one way- which they do not make any effort to warn of. Take care that you do not miss the 40 min checkin deadline as they have no mercy - and take care too they take the checkin number off the boards so you dont know where to go if youre running close. but great for flights to usually expensive destinations such as Sweden.

www.skyeurope.com
    Lovely airline www.thomsonfly.com
    www.norwegian.no do some great deals to their destinations in norway and the baltics.
    www.wizzair.com and www.germanwings.com.

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo

Only on a Clear Day

by scottishvisitor Written Feb 25, 2006

Flying over Father Thames

We flew from Aberdeen to London Heathrow with bmi you can choose between three airlines British Airways are usually the most expensive bmi & easyjet offer cheap flights but be aware easyjet flys into Luton, not Heathrow, so if this is your choice, be prepared for a longer onward journey.

• ZanieOR's Profile Photo

Business class on Lufthansa!

by ZanieOR Written Feb 19, 2005

Business class above Lufthansa airlines.

We flew round trip from/to London from Portland, Oregon, aboard Lufthansa airlines, which flew non-stop to Frankfurt, German (I've been in Germany!!), and then we changed planes in Frankfurt for the relatively short trip to Heathrow.

It was my first international flight and a long one, but it was made immensely more enjoyable by the fact that at PDX airport in Portland we were upgraded unexpectedly and for no reason from coach to business class.
    What a difference! Special menus, more space, little amenities that I'd never before experienced (a little travel bag with such things as eyeshades and stockings). I really enjoyed having my own little television set attached to my seat.
    Coach cost was $831so I don't know what the business tickets would have cost.

I couldn't help but go back and take a photo of the poor peons in coach. Of course on the return trip, that was us and an entirely different story (see next tip).

• ZanieOR's Profile Photo

Coach class let down

by ZanieOR Updated Feb 19, 2005

All the peons in coach class!

On the way back to Portland, the flight was somewhat of a let-down as we not upgraded and traveled coach class, which of course is what we paid for.

I kept saying, "Where's my little TV set; I want my little TV set." When we were in business class I particularly liked when they showed images of where our flight was in relation to the countries as we approached Europe.
    However, at least we had side seats instead of in the wide middle aisle.

Lufthansa also let us down in Frankfurt, and we almost missed our connecting flight to Portland.
    Instead of taxi-ing to a terminal and unloading, we stopped a long way away with a bunch of other planes, and we waited and waited and waited and they wouldn't let us off. It turned out there was a computer problem affecting the shuttle bus that was supposed to take us to the terminal. They finally let us off, and then we waited some more, watching busses pass us by.

There were some pretty upset passengers!
    A bus finally did come, then of course we had to go through security etc. Luckily they held our plane, as there were other passengers too.

Flying to London is more fun than flying home, for more reasons than one!

• Women's Travel
    • Business Travel

• Dabs's Profile Photo

RyanAir nightmare

by Dabs Updated Jan 14, 2008

I was fully aware of all of the pitfalls of Ryan Air before I booked, to be able to offer the low fares that they do, they are absolutely no frills and they charge you for everything. Want to check a bag (with a 15kg limit)? Slap on a L5 fee. Want to pay with a credit card? Slap on a L2 fee. Want preferential boarding? You guessed it, fork over some more dough! Don't even think about getting a snack on board without coughing up some cash.

Add to this 2 gate changes with a mad crush of people trying to get to the front and an hour delay and I'm still thinking "well, it WAS a cheap ticket".

But what happened next would never happen on ANY airline in the US, the pilot decides he can't land in Venice because of an electrical storm, says he's getting low on fuel circling the airport and diverts us to Trieste. He says we'll have coaches waiting to take you to Venice in Trieste but it very soon becomes clear that not only are there no buses but there's also no public buses, no taxis, we are 129km away from Venice and the Ryan Air staff LEAVES the airport! The airport staff is franctically trying to keep the mob happy and offers to take us to nearby hotels or the train station which is where we go for a 4:30am train to Venice. I'm out 135E for a hotel in Venice that I didn't use plus 14E for the train tickets AND I've got a very jetlagged husband who didn't enjoy Venice at all.

We did challenge the Ryan Air charge on our credit card and while it took a couple of phone calls and a letter, our credit card did refund the charge. Ryan Air then had the audacity to contact us via email to get us to pay the charge, after a couple of scathing emails that my husband (who enjoys this sort of thing) sent, they stopped contacting us. I'm pretty sure we are now banned from using Ryan Air!

People who use Ryan Air routinely understand the pitfalls of using Ryan Air and swear by it but for someone who has to be somewhere at a particular time, this is NOT a good option.

• Sharon's Profile Photo

Flying to London ?

by Sharon Updated Jun 30, 2003

The National Company is British Airways, though you can surly fly with most of others companies.
    London and the area got few Big Airports:
    Heathrow (the National Airport), Gatwick, Luton & Stansted.
    Its very easy to get to London from most destination just be aware that from the other airports it can be a bit more difficult to catch a train sometimes.

For checking flights with British airways:
    www.ba.com

• morgane1692's Profile Photo

a great way to get btwn London and Europe...

by morgane1692 Updated Aug 8, 2003

FREE onboard mag!  woohoo!

The biiig drawback here, for convenience's sake, is that Easyjet doesn't serve Heathrow itself. This makes using it as a smooth connection from North America just about impossible. But if you're already in Europe, or London for that matter, check this carrier out for some fabulous online deals...it all depends on how popular a route is, how far in advance you book, yada yada yada, and you do have to remember taxes are an addition to the initial quoted fares...but the prices can be amazing, nonetheless...

• Marpessa's Profile Photo

A Long Flight to London

by Marpessa Updated Jan 8, 2006

Onboard Singapore Airlines

I flew to London from Melbourne, Australia (via Singapore). It is about an 8 hour flight from Melbourne to Singapore, then I was in transit and waited at the airport for about 3 and a half hours, then from Singapore to London it took about 12 hours. On such a long flight you really want to fly with a company that is going to keep you comfortable (especially when flying Economy Class like I did).

Singapore Airlines was fantastic, the staff were very friendly and helpful. Service was excellent and I never had to ask for anything. In every seat on your arrival is a pillow and blanket, but there was also a little travel case, with socks, a comb, a toothbrush and toothpaste. The seats are comfortable and adjustable.

The meals were good and differed on each flight, they cater to Vegetarians and Vegan (although you have to organize this when buying your tickets as it comes under ‘special’ meal).

But the best thing about Singapore Airlines is the entertainment – KrisWorld! They have a selection of over 100 programmes (movies and TV programmes from all over the world), over 200 music CDs (of all genres) as well as video games, the flight plan of your plane and much more.

I have flown over to Europe and back twice, and of the two airlines I’ve flown, I found Singapore Airlines to be the better company.

To view photos I took on the plane while flying to London, please check out my Pictures From The Air!!! travelogue from my homepage.

• Study Abroad

• Marpessa's Profile Photo

Another Long Flight to London

by Marpessa Updated Jan 8, 2006

My plane at the airport in KL

My second trip to Europe I decided to try a different airline and went with Malaysia Airlines from Melbourne, Australia to London (via Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia). It took about 8 and a half hours to get to KL, and then about 11 and a half to get to London from there.

Malaysia Airlines was good, and I have to admit that the food was a bit nicer than it was on Singapore Airlines (they also cater to Vegetarians and Vegans, but you must arrange this when booking your tickets).

The seats were comfortable, but on my flights between Melbourne and Kuala Lumpur the spacing of the seats was not comfortable. The usual seating goes: 3 seats - aisle - 4 seats - aisle - 3 seats. On these trips it went: 2 seats - aisle - 5 seats - aisle - 2 seats, and when you're in one of the middle 5, it is not very comfortable.

Also, especially on the flights between Melbourne and KL again, the entertainment was good, but very limited. The selection for music was very good, and you could follow the flight plan of the plane.

• Study Abroad

• filipdebont's Profile Photo

Cheap flight

by filipdebont Written Feb 19, 2003

Ryan Air

Cheap flights from Charleroi airport (Brussels South) to London Stansted.

I paid 0.99 euro per flight + airport taxes, so that was about 37 euro for a return flight to London, not bad, he.

The flight was only 40 - 45 minutes, and on time.

• morgane1692's Profile Photo

*THE* way to travel!

by morgane1692 Written Feb 16, 2003

CHEERS, indeed!

the nicest way to get to and from London Heathrow and the US is a 777; if you can, try to be in the First Class cabin...the bedsuite seating allows you to be totally prone when you wish, and the UA service and food and beverages and space, they're all very, very nice and posh...

• seamandrew's Profile Photo

Flying into London

by seamandrew Written Nov 15, 2002

United Flight 906-Boeing 777

Flying into London from the United States limits you to 4 airlines. They are British Airways, Virgin Atlantic, United Airlines, and American Airlines. Some silly law prohibits other airlines from flying to and from the USA to the UK. There has been talk recently about allowing more carriers like British Midlands (BMI) and others to have there own routes. We'll see how that turns out. Many other international airlines service London. You'll be hardpressed not to be able to find a flight from wherever you are in the world.

• Dabs's Profile Photo

Flying within Europe from London

by Dabs Updated Jan 8, 2007

I've been reading for years that if you get yourself to London that you can fly cheaply using some of the smaller no frills airlines such as Ryan Air, Wizz Air, Easy Jet which sometimes have ridiculously low promotional fares like .99p to other European cities. What they don't tell you is all of the surcharges and taxes that get added on....

I wasn't lucky enough to find a .99p fare, I found a flight from London to Venice for 29.99GBP, add in taxes of 23.48GBP, surcharges of 3.50GBP to use my Visa and 3.50 GBP to bring on a bag and I'm at 60GBP!!! Ljubjlana to London for 23.99E sounded pretty good until you add in the taxes of 17E and the Visa booking charge of 7.50E. Still compare that to what British Airways is charging and it is a bargain!!!

• lina112's Profile Photo

Plane

by lina112 Updated May 26, 2007

back to m��laga

There are daily flights from Málaga to all london airports with most airlines. This time i went to Easy Jet for 130 euros return to london Gatwick and time flight was ok 10.45 am going out and 20.45 going back on sunday, i could spend more time in London.

Hay vuelos diarios desde Málaga a todos los aeropuertos de londres con la mayoría de compañias aereas inglesas o de bajo coste. Esta vez volé con easy jet a Londres Gatwick por 130 euros y la hora del vuelo era la ida a las10.45 de la mañana y la vueltaa las 20.45, así que aproveché bién tanto el día de ida como de vuelta.

• Singles
    • Women's Travel

• Pravatti's Profile Photo

Cheap flights

by Pravatti Written Mar 9, 2005

If you're not afraid of planes then you should go to london by ryanair or some other cheap flights companies.and I booked 2 months earlier so the price was ridicilous.Price doesn't include food or drink in plane and the baggage limit is 15kg.

Instant Answers: London