Flights, London

Various

Know about this? Rate It!

collage of photos on this flight
  • adventerrtravel22's Profile Photo

Getting there from USA

by adventerrtravel22 Updated Sep 8, 2004

American Airlines L1011

I flew American Airlines from JFK to London-Heathrow. They have about 6 flights a day going and coming from Heathrow. They leave about every 2 hours. Good flight with no delays and plenty of security.

• Orkaena's Profile Photo

PLANE FROM BUENOS AIRES TO LONDON

by Orkaena Updated May 23, 2013

BOEING 777-200, SUCH A PLANE!

After a deep investigation about airlines, taking in account our journey planning (cities we want to visit), flights timetables, service quality and prices, finally we choose Air France.

In first term London was our primary option (first stopover), and Paris the second stage of the journey. This decision by itself filtered a lot of companies, having only two options at last, British Airways and Air France. Then, prices got the command, Air France is cheaper than British for a round trip Buenos Aires-London (up flight with a stop), London-Paris (by Eurostar) , and Paris-Buenos Aires (down direct flight).

The service on board was really good, I mean, kind flight attendants even speaking spanish, good meals, abundant french cheeses, and excellent red wines and champagne!!
    So, I recommend this airline for a trip of this intercontinental characteristics (almost 14 hours flying...). otherwise, if your plans are different (for sure they are) I recommend you make a selection process similar to the mine.

• martin_nl's Profile Photo

Flying to London from Amsterdam

by martin_nl Written Jul 15, 2003

To get to London it is easiest and cheapest to choose on of the low-budget companies like Easyjet or Ryanair. We chose Easyjet, as I live near Amsterdam Airport and Ryanair doesn't fly from here. Easyjet will fly from Amsterdam to Luton and Gatwick, to fly to Luton is cheaper on most flights. I paid around 100 EURO's, which is quite expensive for an easyjet flight to London, because I booked relatively late. The fare for a single ticket can start already at 14.90 incl. taxes!

Recently Basiqair also started to fly to London. Basqair flies to Stansted and fares start at 9 EUR one way excl. taxes.

Ryanair flies to London Stansted from the dutch airports Eindhoven, Groningen and Maastricht.

BMI flies to Heathrow from Amsterdam....return fare as low as 112 EUR incl. taxes.

• kelnsha's Profile Photo

Malaysia Airlines Infant Bassinet Dimensions

by kelnsha Updated Apr 4, 2011

Bassinet onboard Malaysia Airline flight to London

Malaysia Airlines infant bassinet dimensions are 29.52 inches x 13.38 inches x 8.8 inches and the infant maximum weight allowance is between 11kg and 15kg depending on the infant size.

We paid SGD1066 per adult and SGD376 per infant for the return air tickets (SIN-KUL-LHR-KUL-SIN) by Malaysia Airlines during UOB credit card promotion (SGD668+++).

We flew from Singapore (14 Oct 06 at 0650hrs) to Kuala Lumpur (14 Oct 06 at 0750hrs) by MH8 [1 hr]. Departed Kuala Lumpur (14 Oct 06 at 0900hrs) to London Heathrow (14 Oct 06 at 1510hrs) [13 hrs 10 mins].

We departed London (28 Oct 06 at 1800hrs) to Kuala Lumpur (29 Oct 06 at 1325hrs) by MH7 [12 hrs 25 mins]. Departed Kuala Lumpur (29 Oct 06 at 1540hrs) to Singapopre (29 Oct 06 at 1635hrs) by MH605 [55 mins].

• belgrade03's Profile Photo

Fly with British Airways

by belgrade03 Written Dec 8, 2004

with BA above the clouds

I flew with BA for the first time last month to London and found their service excellent. People are very kind and smiling, everything is just perfect both on board and at the Heathorw airport. Look forward to flying with BA again.

• Krystynn's Profile Photo

I highly recommend taking...

by Krystynn Written Sep 12, 2002

I highly recommend taking either QANTAS (the Australian Airlines) or SINGAPORE AIRLINES. I've taken BRITISH AIRWAYS a few times already... and so far, they have disappointed me in terms of their service. :-(

Cabs in London are VERY expensive. The journey from Heathrow Airport to Central London costs approximately GBP30 (depending on the traffic condition also) and should take about 20 minutes. The fare quoted is based on my early morning arrival (6.00AM).

One important tip (for first time tourists visiting London): Don't look lost and have that clueless look on your face.

On my FIRST visit here several years ago, the cab driver took full advantage of my inexperience (then) and didn't stop the meter from running even though I had reached my destination! He took his time to remove my luggages from his cab... then slooowly brought it to the Reception Desk of the Hotel that I was staying in.... went back and THEN STOPPED the meter! He even conveniently took GBP2 for himself as tips! Can you believe such dishonest cab drivers exist?? Since then, I have been VERY wise and alert!! And I'm delighted to announce that I have never faced such a problem again on my subsequent visit.

You can also take the Airbus to Central London. It will make crucial stops within the city. The only snag is that you'd have to lug your luggages right to the doorstep of your hotel or B&B..... since there'd be no porters around to help you. But it sure is cheap compared to taking a London cab and being fleeced by one! ;-)

• davidjo's Profile Photo

FIRST CLASS SERVICE

by davidjo Written Jan 21, 2013

The Flight Centre is a long established company which has expanded over the last 30 years and i have bought tickets there on several occasions. The staff are friendly and highly skilled at finding the flight for you. They now have almost 100 shops throughout the country. Use the website to find the one nearest you.

• islaazul's Profile Photo

Fly Virgin

by islaazul Written Aug 17, 2007

On my last trip, I flew American to London and Virgin on the way back. Although I had economy tickets (premium economy on Virgin) for both trips, the difference was huge. I think most people are familiar with American, so I won't go into details there. On Virgin, you pick from an entire library of movies, a toiletry pouch that included socks and a toothbrush, as many blankets as you want, all you can drink champagne, wine, and even brandy, two full meals plus two snacks, and flight attendants with cool British accents.

• Luxury Travel
    • Work Abroad

• cochinjew's Profile Photo

Virgin Upper Class to Miami

by cochinjew Written Feb 11, 2008

collage of photos on this flight

Flight taken on 11th february from LHR to MIA. wonderful flight. smooth. excellent Lunch. great champagne.
    Virgin has to be one of the best service oriented western airlines.
    a bit longer than normal flight today, 8 hr 30 minutes. scones and tea for afternoon before arrival.
    saw a wonderful japanese movie on board: invitation to cinema orion. enjoyed that very much. watched a bit fo BrickLane by Monica Ali.

a nice chenin blanc from coastal south africa, salmon and cream to begin, tagine de poulet with couscous and meditarranean vegetables. goat cheese.. this was the lunch

• Gwynneth's Profile Photo

Qantas 747b ... the only way to fly in the 70's

by Gwynneth Updated Sep 25, 2002

Qantas 747b

This was the most fabulous and modern way of going overseas in style back in the 70's.
    The Qantas 747b was the most advanced 747 version produced by Boeing. It stood as tall as a 6 storey building at the tail, and it's wings streched nearly 70.51m from tip to tip. The aircraft weighed approximately 345 tonnes fully laden and ready for take-off and had a cruising speed of 920km/h@10,666m.
    London Taxi Cab was the only way to go until we worked out the 'Tube' or the 'Underground' as I remember people calling it.At home we were used to a small and quiet RAAF based tropical city called Townsville, up in North Queensland Australia. As kids we got around on our push bikes and would come home when the sun went down... it was a great way of living. In London we could hardly understand what we were seeing thru the throngs of people and organised caos that greeted us... but we didn't want to miss a thing!London was a gobsmackingly whirl of cars, double-decker red buses and thousands of people massing at the trafficlights waiting to cross the road...All I wanted to know was, 'where had all the horse and carts gone'... and 'when were we going to see the Queen'.

• Tamara77's Profile Photo

Best (and cheap) way to get to...

by Tamara77 Updated Aug 26, 2002

Best (and cheap) way to get to London is either with EasyJet or RyanAir (check http://www.easyjet.com or http://www.ryanair.com for more info)
    Best way to get around London is the tube!!
    Buy yourself a Travelcard for a day or a week.
    The traffic above ground is just too much (therefor tooooo slow). Walking is fine as well.

• radzio's Profile Photo

If you're on a budget trip and...

by radzio Written Aug 25, 2002

If you're on a budget trip and don't want to pay too much for your airline ticket you can use one of many low cost airlines that fly to/from London:

FROM EUROPE:

Virgin Express (www.virgin-express.com):- From London (Heathrow) to (via Brussels):Barcelona, Copenhagen, Madrid, Malaga, Milan (Linate), Nice, Rome. There also is a direct service to Brussels sixty times a week!
    KLMuk BUZZ (www.buzzaway.com): From London (Stansted)to: Bordeaux, La Rochelle, Lyons, Marseilles, Montpellier, Paris, Poitiers, Toulouse, Berlin, Cologne, Düsseldorf, Frankfurt, Vienna, Gerona, Jerez de la Frontera, Murcia, Milan and Helsinki
    Easyjet (www.easyjet.com):From London (Luton) to: Aberdeen, Amsterdam, Athens, Barcelona, Belfast, Edinburgh, Geneva, Glasgow, Inverness, Liverpool, Madrid, Malaga, Nice, Palma, Zurich. In the summer there are extra flights to Nice from London Gatwick.
    Ryanair (www.ryanair.com):From London Stansted to: Aarhus, Alghero, Ancona, Biarritz, Brescia, Brussels, Carcassonne, City of Derry, Cork, Dinard, Dublin, Esbjerg, Frankfurt(Hahn), Genoa, Gothenburg, Hamburg(Lubeck), Kerry, Knock, Malmo, Nimes, Oslo, Perpignan, Pescara, Pisa, Salzburg, Shannon, St.Etienne, Stockholm, Trieste, Turin, Vasteras, Venice. There also are flights from London Gatwick and Stansted to Dublin.

FROM N. AMERICA:

Icelandair (www.icelandair.is):To London from (via Reykijavik): NewYork, Baltimore-Washington, Boston, Orlando, Fort Lauderdale, Minneapolis, Halifax, NovaScotia
    Virgin Atlantic (www.virginatlantic.com): To London from: Athens, Boston, LosAngeles, Miami, NewYork, Orlando, SanFrancisco, Washington, Orlando

• flytheworld's Profile Photo

Cheap Flights to London

by flytheworld Written Jan 14, 2010

Flights to London are easy to find, but it's hard to know if you're getting the best deal on your London flight. Make sure to shop around to different airline websites and booking engines, and look out for sales throughout the year.

• iaint's Profile Photo

BMI

by iaint Updated Jan 23, 2009

I am Heathrow's biggest critic. It really is my last resort when travelling anywhere.

However, I'm just back (23-1-9) from a day trip to the great metropolis via the world's worst airport, and to my utter astonishment, nothing went wrong. Of course, I'd no checked in bags, but anyway.

Not only that, but it was a Friday - the worst to be using LHR.

My 8.55 am BMI flight form EDI left 10 minutes early! Not only that but ATC did not delay us at LHR (on a Friday morning...) so we arrived early too.

The 4.25 back from LHR was boarded and doors closed 10 minutes before departure time, but we had to wait until 4.25 to push back. We were still 15 minutes early into EDI.

Top marks to BMI.

• stappm's Profile Photo

watch OUT on EasyJet

by stappm Written Oct 27, 2006

Easy Jet is cheap and is a great low cost carrier. However they do not fly out of Heathrow, but Gatwick is really not that hard to get to with the Easy Bus (8 pounds from Central London) and I do recommend it. HOWEVER, a big HOWEVER - if you have flown to the UK from a US destination - you probably have a lot of luggage. US carriers allow 2 bags at 50 lbs a piece to be checked. That is 100 pounds of checked baggage. Easy Jet does NOT! The weight on your baggage is not to exceed 20 kilos which is a little over 40 pounds. Anything over is VERY expensive!

I knew I was going to be over the limit and per the website and a phone call knew I would be charged. However the rate in which I was charged is absurd! The gate agent checking me in told me I was over anyway may as well check my carry on and while I watched it go down the conveyor belt she then informed me, with a sneer, that the excess baggage fee was based on weight not occurrence and by the way it was too late to get my carry-on back. I ended up paying far more for my luggage then I did for my person. It was 120 pounds sterling for my 29 kilos (10 k was my carry-on backpack.) So be careful on EasyJet, they are cheap if you fall between their guidelines, and very expensive if you don't. You could basically fly first class on another carrier for the added fees! Watch OUT!

Instant Answers: London