Taxis, London

Know about this? Rate It!

Black Cab outside the Coal Hole
    by davidjo
  • breughel's Profile Photo

Are cabs expensive?

by breughel Updated Aug 24, 2011

Are London "black cab" taxis expensive compared to public transport? Not from my experience.

Arriving with the Eurostar at St Pancras International to join my hotel near Tower Hill I would have to walk with my luggage 7 minutes (according to the Transport for London Journey Planner) to reach King's Cross St.Pancras Underground Station with stairs because of "Reduced escalator service".
    There I would have to take the Circle Line towards Tower Hill Underground station (average journey time 15 mins). At Tower Hill there are again stairs and then walk 3 mins to my hotel. Total minimum time: 25 minutes. Price cash ticket: 4£.

The taxis are waiting outside St Pancras International and I got one immediately. The black cab took 25 mins (Friday & Monday in August; less traffic because vacation) and did cost 13 £.

Shall I add that there are works on various underground lines on WE (Circle line and District line and several others) so that more than half of London underground lines have no service or partial service on WE.
    See on their website: www.tfl.gov.uk Line Travel News - Planned Works Calendar.

• Callavetta's Profile Photo

London Black Cabs

by Callavetta Written Dec 10, 2004

London Black Cabs

While most people find the tube the most efficient means of getting around London, I think this is the perfect place to splurge and take the famous London Black Cabs!

It's easy to hail one, once you get the hang of it. Just watch for the taxi that has it's light indicating that it's available and stick up your hand. I find the cabbies incredibly watchful for people wishing to ride. In July we just finished our visit to the London Eye, stepped onto the sidewalk and raised our hand. A cabbie coming the other direction swung into a UTurn and picked us up.

While some feel them to be expensive, every ride is a mini tour. We nearly always pass something interesting, and Cabbies are always anxious to impart a little history and local color. While in many foreign cities the taxi drivers are known for trying to trick you into paying a steeper fare, London Cabbies are always professional and forthright.

Can you imagine a NYC taxi driver calling you "luv" and not being seriously creeped out?!

• Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

Getting around in Taxis

by Gypsystravels Updated Aug 25, 2005

Rinding in a

The well-known Black Cabs of London are almost as famous as the red buses. They are also being modernized and you may see more green, blue, red or even white cabs. I read that the cab drivers in London are considered among the safest drivers, so you are in good hands.

They can be quite expensive, I should know, I spent a bomb on my last trip.

Finding a Cab: You can ring them, hail them or find them at ranks (stands).

Ladycabs (women drivers only) 020-7254 3501
    Radio Taxis: 020 7272 0272
    Computer Cabs: 020 7286 0286

Lost Property: 020-7941 7800
    Complaints: 020-7941 7900

• Good Cab, Bad Cab

by Mariajoy Updated Aug 21, 2005

London Cabs

2am is not the best time to start arguing with London cabbies about fares. They have seen it all, heard it all and are not interested. Petra and I are at Victoria Station - no tubes, no trains - there is a night bus - but it never appeared. The area around the station is no place to be hanging around waiting for buses, all forms of human life have crawled out of the woodwork and are either drunk or drugged or both.

I approached a cabbie who was *on a break* and asked him how much, roughly to Bayswater - *about 12 quid love, but you have to queue over there*. So we queued - with a New Zealand family with 4 very young children and several large suitcases. When it came to our turn I approached a cab - *How much to Bayswater?* *15 quid* GASP! *15 quid??? but that cabbie over there said around 12!* He was in no mood to argue and with that he made no further eye contact and accelerated at high speed to the NZ family who needed two cabs!

The next cab in the queue pulled up - I asked the same question and he replied - *Why wouldn't the other cab take you?* so I told him what had happened and even he was shocked - he said *15 quid?? It's about 5 to Bayswater!* So I said *That'll do* and we jumped in. The meter read £3.30 before we had gone anywhere and he apologised as he said *Errrm... actually it will probably be more like £8-10* so we said ok and he took us all the way to our hostel (only about a couple of miles or so away and in the end the meter read £11.30. He said *just give us a tenner love* - what a nice guy!

London cabs late are night are VERY expensive! Night buses are only £1.20 per journey but you don't want to be hanging around late at night waiting for buses in seedy places.

• LoriPori's Profile Photo

LONDON'S BLACK TAXIS

by LoriPori Written Mar 9, 2006

Piece of cake! It's easy to hail one of LONDON'S BLACK TAXIS. Just look for a taxi that has it's "TAXI" sign lit, indicating that it is available and stick out your hand and flag it down.
    But as you can see in this accompanying picture, London's famous black Taxis now come in a myriad of colours --- even baby blue.
    All fares are metered and all drivers are registered and licensed, so no need to worry about being "ripped off".

• easyoar's Profile Photo

Black London Taxi

by easyoar Written Feb 12, 2005

Black London Taxi Cab

If you want to get somewhere easily with the least hassle in London, then a Licensed Black Cab is they way to do it.

However it does come at a cost. I almost never use them as the premium is just to high in comparison to buying a travelcard that lets you use the buses, trains and underground in London, but if you really don't want to travel with the great unwashed and you have a big wallet, then taxi is your transport!

• Luxury Travel

• ZanieOR's Profile Photo

Black taxi from airport

by ZanieOR Written Feb 11, 2005

Taxi driver loading luggage.

My travel friend offered to pay to get us to our hotel in London, and she chose one of London's black taxis as the fastest, most direct way to get into the city at the end of a long continental flight.

It still took about an hour in the traffic in mid-afternoon, and we seemed to have circled Hyde Park at least twice because of some traffic snafu.
    The cab driver was very nice and polite, and the taxi ride though long was fun because it offered my first chance to see London. I was fascinated just to see all the traffic with all the drivers on the right and the license plates with the huge numbers.

However, it was very expensive -- I think about 45 pounds plus tip. The convenience was nice, but on a budget trip the subway (express) would have been a better deal. Though when I think about navigating the luggage up those stairs ....

We had no trouble getting a cab outside the airport.

• Luxury Travel

• Marpessa's Profile Photo

The Black Taxi

by Marpessa Updated Dec 9, 2006

Black Cab

I think it's best to leave getting a taxi in London for only when you need it, like: when you've just arrived or leaving and you've got all your luggage, or if you're out late at night.

This is because a taxi is an expensive way to travel in London. Also if you are going to get a taxi get a Black one or one that you know is from a reputable company so as not to be charged too much for the ride (aka get 'ripped off').

And as suggested by my dear friend Henrik, I will add that in London you *do not* sit in the front seat of a taxi, you always sit in the back seat! I think mainly this is for security measures for the taxi drivers.

For more information about taxis in London see the website below.

• Singles
    • Women's Travel

• Cabs

by ElaineCatherine Updated Jan 2, 2005

Look for these!

When you get off the planes at Heathrow, you may be approached by people looking to give you a ride to your hotel. Dont do it! - I dont have any bad experiences to share. But it was strongly recommended to me to only take what they call the Black Cabs. My sister and I used both the Tube and the Black Cabs exclusively to get around, when we werent being driven by our British friend. The Cabs can be a bit expensive, but they are safe, honest and quick.

Oh hint: When we heard 'only take black cabs" we were a bit confused - we werent sure if that meant the color black or the style of cab.. it's the style. - sometimes they do come in other colors or sometimes they have an advertisement on them.. those are ok too!

• Work Abroad
    • Disabilities

• lou31's Profile Photo

Those little black cabs

by lou31 Written Jun 6, 2005

Black cabbies...thousands of them!

I had been warned about the London cabbies being rude. Oh and they're not all black...grey, blue, green...whatever. However my experience with them [ admittedly just the one ] was quite pleasant. My trip from Kings Cross Station to the hotel in Bayswater cost me 15 pounds and the driver was very helpful with my luggage. Unfortuneately I had no spare change for a tip but he took it well. I think perhaps he picked up on my situation and condition at that time. A bit travel weary and frazzled!

• irisbe's Profile Photo

Cabs!

by irisbe Written Jul 10, 2004

London cab

London is not only famous for the double deck busses but not in the least for the typical cabs!
    I did't took any cab as I used the tube, the bus and for a big part my feet.
    Maybe if you go out in the evening and you want to be sure to get back safe and well it is better to take a taxi.

• The Famous London Taxis

by shoedog Written Apr 21, 2004

You have to take a ride in a London Taxi. The best taxi drivers in the world. Almost every one of them are friendly and every one of them knows the city backwards and forwards. If you get one to talk to, ask them about the oral exam they must pass to be a driver.

• sourbugger's Profile Photo

As you leave the theatre in the evening...

by sourbugger Updated Jun 2, 2004

One of the most difficult times to hail a cab in London is when you leave the Theatre or a restaurant in Soho late at night (well any time after about 9 pm actually). Cab drivers tend to stay out of the area in the evening as the traffic is at a stand still and parking is impossible with every space , including Taxi ranks used by the unlicensed touts.

To solve the problem, your best bet is to take a five minute walk, just walk outside the area and you will (usually) have no problem finding a cabbie.

• dejavu2gb's Profile Photo

Taxi's, Taxi's Everywhere...

by dejavu2gb Written Feb 18, 2005

Black Cab

With approximately 20,000 licenced taxi's in London and then a further 2,000 licenced minicabs, you will never be stuck, with no transport.
    Please be advised that taxi charges in London are very high, but if you dont have enough cash, check with the driver beforehand, because some of them do accept the major credit cards.

• gugi66's Profile Photo

by gugi66 Written Dec 18, 2008

The Black cab

The world famouse Black cab. The starting rate is 2,20£. It´s not so expensive to ride a black cab as I tought it would be, it´s about the same price as in every other big city.

But this is special compared to other citys in the world, you drive on the wrong side and soooooooooooooooooooo much space for your legs, you can almost lay down streched out on the floor.

This is something you must try when you go to London, ride a Black cab.

Instant Answers: London