Tube (Underground, Subway, Metro)., London

Know about this? Rate It!

London Underground
    by Twan
  • 150 years of the London Underground (Kings Cross)
    150 years of the London Underground...
    by spidermiss
  • Warren Street Station (Northern & Victoria Lines)
    Warren Street Station (Northern &...
    by spidermiss
  • planxty's Profile Photo

When is a circle not a circle?

by planxty Updated Apr 4, 2011

Underground sign, london, UK.

I fully understand how complicated the London Tube (Underground, subway, Metro) can be to people not familiar with it, and they are just about to make it moreso. One of the things you could bank on (no pun intended, as one station is called Bank) was that the Circle line, well, went round in a circle. Be aware that as of 13th December, 2009, it won't.

As the attached webpage shows, the so-called Circle Line will now start (clockwise) at Hammersmith, complete a full circle and terminate at Edgware Road. Anti-clockwise will be an exact reciprocal of that.

If you want to check your standard Tube map, the Circle Line is the yellow one. I submit this tip to hopefully assist travellers as I see enough poor souls wandering lost on the Underground system as it is.

• angiebabe's Profile Photo

tube travel in London

by angiebabe Updated Apr 4, 2011

Travel around London in sterling compared to other currencies is pretty expensive - we hated it when we were here as tourists converting to Aussie and Kiwi money - and unfortunately prices went up heaps last year and horridly again this year!

Now i have quite excitedly found out that the new Oyster card system enables much cheaper tube travel. Usually i use saver ticket bus tickets to get from home into the city - £6 for 6 tickets(dont know if their price has just changed again as single tickets have dropped from £1 to 90p) - or if travelling a bit in one day i used to splash out and get a one day travel card - or even better a weekend travel card which inclides the faster overground train routes - but now they are even more expensive.

carnets are now no longer available (used to get 10 tickets for £11.50)

now i have found out that by getting a £3 oyster card then adding value of whatever amount you decide, you then can use it to get one zone travel for £1.50 each and buses for 90p a ride. This saves from the enormous price increase of a one zone tube ride from £1.50 to £3 for those not using an oyster card!

Also handy I find is having a zone 2 and 3 travel pass for the week which covers all the underground and overground except zone 1 and includes all buses everywhere - then use the single swipe for any zone 1 tube trips plus there are so many bus routes in the city centre that I only use the tube if in a hurry. Tube stations such as Vauxhall - which connects with the overground - and Earls Court are handily both Zone 1 and Zone 2 stations.

• Business Travel

• SaraM19762001's Profile Photo

The Tube

by SaraM19762001 Updated Apr 4, 2011

I would reccommend when coming to London to definately use the tube as your means of getting around. I found that black cabs were extremely expensive. The tube is cheap and very easy to figure out. it's also a good way to mix with the locals, though I wouldn't recommend starting a conversation with them. Peope just seem to be in their own world on the tube and that's ok. I did come across a minor delay once and I'm sure it happens often, but the delay was only 5 minutes and there are other lines to get you where you need to go if one line is closed or delayed. Also check if you can before planning your day.
    The only complaint about the tube is that some- not all-can be dirty.

• SaraM19762001's Profile Photo

The Tube

by SaraM19762001 Updated Apr 4, 2011

The only complaint about the tube is that some- not all-can be dirty.

• rwlittle's Profile Photo

A great way to get around

by rwlittle Updated Apr 4, 2011

Mind the gap!

We primarily got around London through the use of the Tube, or the Underground as some might call it. From our home base in Kensington, we were able to jump right onto the Tube and get to all of the sights pretty quickly. We bought books of ten tickets...saved a little money, yet left us the flexibility to travel when we wanted without wondering/worrying "did we get out money's worth?" which goes with day passes.

We were always amused by the automated "mind the gap" audio and visual warnings, intended to warn passengers of the gap between the platform and the trains.

• The Tube!

by ElaineCatherine Updated Apr 4, 2011

Look for these signs!

The Tube is an excellent way to get around in London. The price is reasonable, it is pretty much clean and the service is reliable.

We also enjoyed the buskers (although the many no busking signs) they were singing and playing their guitars. And they seemed to be enjoying entertaining us as well, til they found out we were Americans, then they started singing nasty songs about Americans. LOL!

My sister and I were warned to stay together when we went into the toilet. Apparantly theives commonly steal belongings in toilets.

Just be sure to take your time and try to get familiar with the tube map before you set out so you dont get turned around. My sister is an excellent map reader and navigator, so I was lucky to not get lost!

• AngelAmanda5546's Profile Photo

Tube

by AngelAmanda5546 Updated Apr 4, 2011
    Undergound Sign

The tube is a great way to get around anywhere in London. But a few words of wisdom when traveling on the tube.

1)Mind the Gap between the train and the platform

2)Use priority in seating(ask an elderly person or a person with children if they want your seat)

3) NEVER RIDE THE TUBE AT NIGHT

why do I say never ride the tube at night. well even if you want to go somewhere thats only open at night or you want to take a picture of big ben lit up dont go on the tube at night. It can be dangerous if traveling alone. There have been a few murders that occur at night on the tube. For a safe trip, I suggest to stick to the busses at night.

(note: I did not take the picture inside the undergound because pictures inside the undergroud are prohibited)

• Travel with Pets

• joits's Profile Photo

Its really not that difficult!

by joits Updated Apr 4, 2011

I've read quite a few reviews on the London Underground saying that its quite complicated when its really not. Why should you believe me? Well, I was about 10 when I first started using the tube and I had no problems whatsoever. I was new to London, spending my holidays from boarding school there, yet I found the Underground easy to use. I stayed in Plaistow on the District Line and I had no problems getting around London. I had no problems finding the correct route or changing stations. Sure the first time might seem intimidating but you'll get adjusted to it within a day. I mean c'mon... if a 10 year old can get it.... anyone can.

The best thing to do is before you go out, try and visit the London Underground's website and use their router planner which will tell you what line to take, where to transfer or where to get off. Very useful...

• backpackerbaby's Profile Photo

The cheapest way of travelling around..

by backpackerbaby Updated Apr 4, 2011

That's why it's called Tube!

London is divided into 6 zones in the tube (underground)/bus maps.

Since most tourist attractions are within Zones 1 and 2, it's advisable to buy a 'day travelcard for Zones 1 and 2' to start your day.

An off-peak (after 0930) card costs 4.10 pounds and you can use it for tubes/buses as many times as you like.

• bzh's Profile Photo

Real time tube map

by bzh Updated Apr 4, 2011

A bad day for the tube

Transport for London, being realisitc about the performance of the tube, offers a real time tube map detailing what lines suffer from delays or cancellations. The use of the map is extremely simple. If a line or station is coloured, it has a problem. You can then click on it to get more information on the problem.

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

Underground - tube

by grandmaR Updated Apr 4, 2011

Goodge Street Station

We used the tube only a little bit. For one thing, the day we got there the tube folks were on strike. For another, you can't see anything stuck down in there. And for a third thing it's often very crowded. But it is quick and efficient if all you want to do is get quickly from one place to another.

We came back from the theatre on Friday night on the tube, and we left London to go out to the suburbs to have our daughter pick us up by tube. This ticket - one trip all the way out to West Ruislep was about £3.50 but it meant that our daughter didn't have to come all the way into the city to get us. She didn't want to drive in the city, and it was much quicker for us to ride out to meet here. I understand there is now an extra fee for driving into London.

• sweet_sentiments's Profile Photo

Tube is your friend

by sweet_sentiments Updated Mar 31, 2011

During our first tube ride we got a little confused. You have to pay close attention on their tube map and make sure the tube you're in would actually go to your destination. Some of their lines have "forks". Meaning, a particular line can go all the way from point A to Z but some would just go from A-D. It also helps if you know your north-east-south-west, seriously. lol

• planxty's Profile Photo

Get on your bike.

by planxty Written Jan 28, 2011

Sign, London Underground, UK.

Cycling is good, just about everyone is agreed on that. It provides good exercise, it is eco friendly etc. We all know the benfits. London isn't a bad place to cycle and there are many designated cycle routes and the Mayor (Boris Johnson) has recently started a schem of public hire bikes in association with a major bank.

London is, however, a big city, and maybe your pedalling legs don't feel up to cycling from Upminster to Croydon. I know I wouldn't fancy it. This is where you run into problems. For various reasons, mainly Health and Safety regulations I believe, there are a bewildering array of regulations as to when and where you can take your bike on public transport.

The attached photo shows just one set of regulations, in this instance the Jubilee Line on the Underground. As you can see, even the London Underground signage does not make sense! The rules are so complex I do not intend to go into them all here so I am creating this tip to provide you with a very useful web page which details the whole situation for you.

I hope it assists and happy pedalling.

• american_tourister's Profile Photo

Best way from Heathrow direct to town

by american_tourister Written Nov 9, 2010

Nothing in London is cheap so splurge a bit and take the Heathrow express to Paddington and the tube from there. Once you get to Paddington you can exit by walking out the inclined street to the left. Pop up on the street and there is a Garfunkel's restaurant immedaietly across the street. Good breakfast reasonably priced. If you don't want breakfast you can eat there on the way back or at Yo! sushi inside the station.

When you get to the British Museum there is a big round kiosk as you come in the main hall. They have pre-progammed headsets for a self guided tour. I suggest you go see the Rosetta Stone as early as possible as it gets so crowded around it that you can hardly see it sometimes. The Elgin Marbles are in a much bigger area so that can be taken at a slower pace.

• mirchica's Profile Photo

Underground

by mirchica Written Jul 4, 2010

This is the fastest and easiest way to go around the city. They have 10 lines that cross London up to 12:00 am (every line has different time of stopping). In that huge city distances are very big and if you have only few days to a week, it’s better take the underground. In the website you’ll find all the information about schedule and prices. I could recommend have Oysters card, it costs 3 pounds and you have to charge it. All day crossing the underground will cost you no more than 6.30 pounds. It is also valid for trams, buses, everything.

Instant Answers: London