Nightclubs and bars in Greater London

Two Shots Coming Up!
    by RavensWing
  • Our fiddler left early, but we'll still play!
    Our fiddler left early, but we'll still...
    by RavensWing
  • The Landor Pub, Garden & Theatre, Clapham, London
    The Landor Pub, Garden & Theatre,...
    by spidermiss

Most Viewed Nightlife in Greater London

Ronnie Scott's Jazz Club: Ronnie Scott's

by Tom_Fields Updated Apr 4, 2011

This is one of the world's greatest, most famous jazz clubs. Founded by the legendary British saxophonist Ronnie Scott in 1959, this club has been in business continuously ever since. Here, I had the privilege of seeing a number of the greats of jazz, including a few who are no longer with us.

Dress Code: Not too formal, but not too casual. Wear a nice shirt with a collar, good trousers, and leather shoes.

Pizza Express: Pizza Express: More than Just Pizza

by Tom_Fields Updated Apr 4, 2011

Pizza Express was founded by Peter Boizot, an entrepreneur who is also a serious jazz lover. This pizza chain is all over the UK. The restaurant in Soho hosts some of the top-notch touring jazz stars. With a big-name jazz player performing here, and another one at nearby Ronnie Scott's Jazz Club, you may have a difficult choice.

In addition to great entertainment, Pizza Express has outstanding pizza, pasta, and a range of other dishes. Of course it's rather pricey, but not too bad for London.

Dress Code: Smart casual, not too formal but not too laid back.

Going through Canary Wharf

by Elodie_Caroline Written Jun 4, 2008

Okay, I know were not allowed to, but I set my new camera on 'movie mode' and held it facing out of the windscreen whilst Chris drove through Canary Wharf. I had to put the camera down each time Chris spotted one of the many security guards around; I didn't want my camera taken off me, did I. But it's not like we are setting out on doing Canary Wharf any harm; we love the place and everything about it. I just wanted to show everyone the beautiful lit-up buildings at night; I have hundreds of stills from this movie and it is so very difficult to know which ones to add as a tip, as I love them all.
    We did originally come out to get some good far off pictures of Canary Wharf, we had even brought the tripod with us too, but it was misty, so there was no way that we would get good far-off pics.

There are some travelogues of all the beautiful buildings that I took photos of on this night on this page too.

Watching the world of Canary Wharf

by Elodie_Caroline Written May 18, 2008

We love sitting down this little side road on the way to Lewisham, we are right next to the Millenium Dome here, and right opposite my beautiful Canary Wharf. We have tried taking photos from here before, but they never came out very well, now, with our new camera, I think we'll get some brilliant far off photos!

A night out at Heathrow

by Elodie_Caroline Written Feb 23, 2008

When I had been living with my hubby for the first few months, when he was still only my boyfriend, he decided that we'd go for an evening out at Heathrow airport. It seems quite funny really, until that night, I just thought it was somewhere for people to come and go out of the country. I'd never atually been to an airport before.

Anyway, we parked up and spent the evening exploring the inside of one of the terminals. We had a mooch around the shops, I even bought the Rock CD, 'The power and the glory,' there. We had a coffee in the Burger King place there and we had a good old laugh together; we were acting like teenagers and even squeezed into the photo booth for a photo together. I hadn't done that sort of thing,since I was 17 years old! Me andChris reckon that he looks like something out of 'Planet of the Apes' in this pic?

Town house & Country club:: Dr Feelgood & The Hamsters

by Elodie_Caroline Written Feb 23, 2008

I went to see Dr Feelgood with a load of my girlfriends from The Nags head.There was us girls and some of the wives and girlfriends of The Windsor chapter Hells Angels. We had a ball!
    I have to admit that Dr Feelgood were nowhere near as good as their support band The Hamsters, a group that we often used to have in The Nags Head. The Hamsters were awesome as usual! they really bring the house down with their blues/rock music.

While we were enjoying ourselves bopping away to the music and drinking our beers, a young girl around five ft 6ins and built as round as she was tall came along in front of our group with her boyfriend, who was years her senior. Anyway,this `girl` was throwing herself all over the dance floor like a pogoing punk rocker on speed! she was knocking everyone about! I got so mad when half of my pint of beer went up my arm, that in temper, I threw the other half all over her, not even considering the possible consequences. Well, the room was getting hotter and fuller, I hate being really closed in and squashed up, so I went and stood near the doorway to the loos. You could feel the undertone of tension in the air, I stood and thought about what `could` happen? At the time, I was a British size twelve and one punch from this girl would have sent me halfway across London. As the night grew to a close,most of the people had gone, there was still the group of us there and this girl and her boyfriend, we were anticipating a bloody great fight once we got outside, but I had stipulated that it was my fight, I caused it, so I was the one that had to deal with it. The boyfriend came upto me and said `you`ve got a lot of guts` I replied something like `yeah,I was pretty pissed off wearing half of my pint`. We all ended up chatting, me and the girl shook hands and that was it! I couldn`t believe I got away with it? maybe she didn`t think that a person the size of me was worth the effort? she`d have flattened me with one dig! So, phew! I got out of that one okay, thankfully .

The Rolling Stones at Wembley

by Elodie_Caroline Updated Feb 23, 2008

I also went to see 'The Rolling Stones at Wembley, with my brother Paul and his wife Corrie, two years later in the summer of 1990. I was having an emotional crisis at the time, heartbroken over a 'boy' called Mathew and so didn't really enjoy myself this night. The only bits I can remember is: not being able to see the Stones, even though we were at the front, some ignoramous black bloke going round the crowd blowing a stupid whistle all of the time, ruining everyone else's evening, that we paid dearly for. I wa also nearly getting crushed to death on the way out amongst the heaving crowd. I stumbled and it's only because my brother Paul caught hold of me, that I didn't get hurt, or maybe even killed! But this did put me off of going to large venues like this anymore.

The Rolling Stones weren't a patch on Pink Floyd either...

Wembley Stadium & Pink Floyd

by Elodie_Caroline Written Feb 23, 2008

Wow, the day that I went to see PINK FLOYD at Wembley Arena has to be the best day of my life so far!
    I was staying at my mum's at the time in the middle of moving addresses after leaving my old boyfriend Pete. I spent the afternoon making love with the sexiest man that I have ever met until the present day, he only had to kiss me and I wanted him ;)
    Anyway,around 5 pm I met my brother Paul, his wife Corrie, our friend Smutty, our half sister Julie and her husband, and a few other friends at Wycombe train station. We had a good old laugh at the station, Corrie still says to this day, that all she can remember is my laugh all around the train station! hahaha. We got onto the train and were in a no smoking compartment, but that didn't stop up lighting a few joints on the way to Wembley.
    Once there,we all stood right at the back of the Arena and we really did have the best view of all, I got to thinking that if Pink Floyd were only half as good live, as they were on record? they would be brilliant!
    It was a very warm evening, it got to 8 pm, Pink Floyd came onto the stage and as they started with the first chords of 'Shine on you crazy diamond' as the sun was starting to set behind the stage, it was wonderful!! just thinking of those moments now makes my skin go all goosebumps all over from head to toe, the sunset was pinks, oranges, yellows and blues, it was so magical! The company was great, the music was beautiful! they were just as brilliant live as on vinyl! I shall never forget this evening as long as I live!!! :)

Dress Code:
    Nearly everyone was dressed as hippies, I don't ever follow crowds, so I went in a navy satin shirt and pale pink cotton Jeans.

• grasshopper_6's Profile Photo

London Pubs: London Pubs

by grasshopper_6 Updated Jun 2, 2007

I Didn't get to spend as much time at the pubs as I would have liked, but here are a few that I remember...

1. Allsop Arms 137 Gloucester Pl, Marylebone - What I think of as a traditional pub. Dim Smoky interior, good selection of beer and wine. Standard bar fare. The best thing about the AA was its location -directly across from our hotel. How convenient...

2. Bell and Compass 9-11 Villiers St, Strand. Contemporary pub apparently popular with the after hours office crowd. They have a dining room downstairs where the bangers and mash isn't half bad.

3. The Globe 43 Marylebone St, Marylebone - I was suprised to learn this pub has been here since 1735. Modern looking interior, bright and well ventilated. No smoking area upstairs.

4. The Hatchet 28 Garlick Hill, Cannon St - Another traditional pub. Quiet and pleasant when we got there around 4 pm, but quickly filled up with the happy hour crowd.

5. Metropolitan - Baker Street Station, Marylebone - More like a club than a pub, loud music, crowded bar. We did manage to find a quiet table and enjoyed a nice evening.

6. The Volunteer 247 Baker St, Marylebone - I was sorry I didn't find this pub sooner just around the corner from the hotel. Open later than most (12 am), and served a different sort of bar foods. We had a plate of olives and bread with dipping oil. The volunteer is just next to the Sherlock Holmes Museum.

7. Nags Head. Covent Garden. Cozy bar, nice selection of draughts, friendly crowd.

8. 3 Stags - Just down from Lambreth North Tube station. Quiet. Modest selection. Adequate munchies

Dress Code: All of these were casual at the times we went, mostly around 4-5 pm or around 9-10 pm weekdays.

• Beer Tasting
    • Study Abroad

Royal Albert Hall: Royal Albert Hall

by Tom_Fields Written Nov 13, 2005

Prince Albert was Queen Victoria's royal consort, a close adviser and strong patron of the arts. His premature death from typhoid, in 1861, at the aged of 42, was a terrible blow to the British people. In their grief, they constructed this hall in his memory.

It is one of the world's greatest concert halls. The acoustics are as good as anywhere. The music and other performance run the whole gamut: rock, pop, classica, jazz, and you-name-it.

In 1999, I heard Tony Bennett perform here. At one point, he set the microphone aside and sang, alone and unaccompanied. You could easily hear every word, from any seat in the place. It was the kind of performance that would only occur in a place like this.

Dress Code: Depends upon the show.

• Theater Travel

The Porter House: A great meeting place

by Kiwigirlie Updated Feb 16, 2005

The Porter House has been used a lot by friends of mine, as their farewell venue. It's easy to find and is fairly big so you can find your own little corner and just talk & drink away the night.
    They have live music on wednesdays and most weekends - sometimes an organised band, sometimes just a group of musicians (Irish) who just sit around and start jamming. That is what I prefer
    It's also it's own brewery. They have a range of different beer tastes on tap and if you aren't wanting to try anything new you can buy the usual lagers as well. As quoted from a review website - "More than just another Irish bar, Porterhouse London stocks the full range of the Dublin-brewed Porterhouse beers. Using no chemicals, there are eight award-winning varieties to choose from including Plain Porter, Wrasslers 4x Stout, Oyster Stout, An Brainblasta and Hersbrucker". Alrightythen!
    Just remember it is a bit pricey as it's right in Covent Garden, central London. But it's a night out you won't forget.

Dress Code: I've never been stopped going into this place but they do have bouncers on the door so I suspect there is some kind of dress code... As long as you look clean you'll be ok. I've worn sneakers and they didn't batter an eye lid.

• Beer Tasting

Ministry of Sound: If you're going to go clubbing

by Kiwigirlie Updated Nov 15, 2004

When I first came to London I was staying in an area known as The Elephant & Castle. Kind of a dodgey part of London and a bit grim but it was cheap and close to the centre. Nearly every Friday and Saturday night I was often asked by people as I came out of the tube station, for directions to a place called Ministry of Sound... Of course at the time I had no idea what the place was, let alone where it was. I soon found out though. It's a pretty impressive place - the sound system alone is allegedly worth three million pounds...! There are three rooms, the main dance floor, the Box (for hard core clubbers) and the chill out room. The music is alot louder in the box but it's a great place to just to go for it and dance your heart out! We were approached all the time by different blokes but I was there for one thing only - to dance my little socks off! When we went it was £15 to get in but if you get there earlier than 11pm it's about £4! Beware : You will get searched quite thoroughly before going in so think twice about bringing stuff you don't want to get caught with. Plus they don't like you bringing in your own water bottles, food or snacks (which we brought in just for energy!). And unfortunately for me, I have a small (and I might add, very useful) pocket knife attached to my house keys. The staff were very rude about it and threatened to throw it away even when I insisted that my bag was going to go end up in the cloak room. That ruined and ended my relationship with that club.
    Don't let it put you off though as it's a cracking night out!

Dress Code: You have to be dressed to sweat! And sweat you will. There is a cloak room so don't be too concerned about lugging your stuff around. Jeans are ok but you're likely to regret wearing them as you will be uncomfortable!
    Don't dress down to much - be classy but practible.

• steverubble's Profile Photo

West end or Picadilly: Theater

by steverubble Updated Nov 3, 2004

Please, please, please, go to a live theatrical production, it is an excellent value, and memorable experience. There are several places to book tickets, some restuarants offer ticket and dinner packages.

Dress Code: I would say casual for the matinee's and upscale casual for the evening shows, (collared shirts, no tank tops, halters, baseball caps or flip-flops). You only live once. Why not dress up?

• Theater Travel

• netan's Profile Photo

harley davidson kings...: picadilly circus.... one unbeliveable evening

by netan Written Jun 8, 2004

... one evening, after my work..., I didnt wanted to stay at home so I suggest my mate to go for a beer to soho :) we were driving as I remeber 14 from putney... and stopped finally at picaduilly circus about 9:50 pm... few foks of our polish cigarretts ... and and we stoped for moment...
    and than I heared... it... and in a moment saw it... 500 !! motorcycles all harley davidson... and all were very noisy ... it was dark outside allready and very ... more than cool.../

• Work Abroad
    • Study Abroad
    • School Holidays

JEWEL: Jewel in London

by Kiwigirlie Written Oct 1, 2003

Amazing decor and yes it has "jewels" everywhere. It's a great place to met up with a bunch of people for a drink after work. Cos more often than not you'll end up staying there and listening to the live entertainment they have later in the evening.

Dress Code: Smart casual. We have never had any problems getting in but I imagine that if you looked rough you'd have a tough time getting in. Jeans are ok but sneakers aren't I'd say.

Greater London Hotels

98 Reviews - 345 Photos
Highgate Hotels
12 Reviews - 37 Photos

Instant Answers: Greater London

Comments

Greater London Nightlife

Reviews and photos of Greater London nightlife posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Greater London sightseeing.
Map of Greater London