Paddington Travel Guide

Leaving the station for Cornwall
    by DEBBBEDB
    Photo on the wall of the lobby
    by grandmaR
    Cart ahead of me with two ladies and Bob
    by grandmaR

Paddington Hotels

Paddington Restaurants

by grandmaR Written Apr 26, 2015

I decided that we would eat a late lunch/early dinner and I saw a Garfunkels near the station, so we went in. Their website says: We’re in the perfect location for hungry commuters, guests arriving into London via the Heathrow Express and sightseers.*

FACILITIES:
    Baby changing
    Free Wi-Fi
    Wheelchair friendly
    SUN-SAT 6:30 am-11:30 pm

The lunch menu (cheaper) was in effect from 11:30 am to 5 pm and it was a little after four when we entered.

Favorite Dish: We each had a set price lunch menu hamburger (which came with fries and a kind of purple cole slaw) and Bob had a milk shake.

That cost £20 or about $30.37 which is expensive for lunch, but not bad for dinner

Lunch Mains - two of them were ��15.90 Bob's milkshake ��3.95 Front of the menu Mirror over our table Sign in the street

by grandmaR Updated Apr 25, 2015

Originally we were going to get breakfast from Burger King or McDonalds. But I got ahead of Bob (who was burdened with the suitcases) and he did not walk back there to get something. Instead he went next door to the handicapped waiting room and got some fruit yogurt thing for us to eat for breakfast. There was lots of other things he could have gotten which I would have liked better. Of course he did not yet know that Porridge was the English for hot oatmeal

For Breakfast there is Porridge, fruit pots, breakfast rolls and croissants. Lunch can include Sandwiches, salads, baguettes, wraps

Mon–Fri: 5:00 AM–11:00 PM
    Sat: 5:00 AM–10:00 PM
    Sun: 7:00 AM–10:00 PM

Five Berry Pret Pot - yoghurt, fruit and granola Napkin with recycling information 5 berry pot before eating porridge

• DEBBBEDB's Profile Photo

by DEBBBEDB Written Apr 25, 2015

There are all kinds of places to get food at Paddington Station - some general examples include Starbucks and

Burger King Kiosk Main concourse, close to platforms 7 and 8

McDonald's Fast food burgers, chicken, fish or veggie meals and desserts to take away or eat in. Free Wi-Fi.
    Upper Crust

Upper Crust - Kiosk selling freshly-prepared baguettes, sandwiches, snacks and drinks from early to late.

EAT.- Family run business dedicated to quality fresh food serving soups, pies, sandwiches, wraps, sushi, cakes, porridges, teas, coffees, cold drinks and juices. Eat in or take away.

And the one that is in the photo:
    Millies Cookies- Kiosk selling high quality, chunky cookies, speciality cakes and giant muffins freshly baked the American way. Teas, coffees, juices and other cold drinks. Main concourse, close to the escalators to the Upper Mezzanine

Favorite Dish: Then there are the more exotic places such as:

Caffé Ritazza Coffee shop selling espressos, cappuccinos, lattes, macchiatos, mochas and americanos, iced drinks and smoothies, sandwiches, paninis, cakes and confectionery. Eat in or take away.

Pasty Shop - Check out hot traditional Cornish pasties. They are freshly baked on site daily, with the highest quality ingredients.

Delice de France - Freshly made pastries, rolls, baguettes, sandwiches, cakes and patisseries, all inspired by France.

Bagel Factory - Kiosk selling fresh-filled American-style bagels, high in protein, low in fat, salt and cholesterol. Hot and cold drinks and snacks to take away. Main concourse, close to the main set of escalators to London Underground.

Barburrito Mexican Burritos made using fresh and creative ingredients – eat in or takeaway
    Ground floor of The Lawn

Millie's

Paddington Transportation

by grandmaR Updated May 21, 2015

The Great Western is not a book or movie about the US western states. It is a railway franchise. which started in April 2006 with the former First Great Western, First Great Western Link and Wessex Trains businesses. It provides trains from London in the east to Brighton and Gatwick in the south, Carmarthen, Pembroke Dock and Penzance in the west and Banbury, Hereford and Worcester in the north.

We booked a train on the Great Western to go to Cornwall. I was advised to buy tickets in advance, but since there wasn't enough time to get them mailed to me, I opted to pick them up at the station. I went the day before to 'suss out' where we needed to go. The first information booth I came to said that we needed the reference number to pick up the tickets but if we went to the information booth on the other side of the station, they could figure it out with our names. So we went there and they did that. We have a train ticket and a seat ticket. It is perhaps fortunate that we have a seat reservation because we found later that the train is usually crowded. The seat reservation didn't cost anything. One of the station guards strongly advised us to register for handicapped help, so we did that.

Even though we did it easily walking with the scooter, I had decided that it would be foolish to try to walk to the station with baggage so we took a cab. Unfortunately the cab dropped us off at an upper level and we went the wrong way before someone explained that we had to take an elevator down. I got to the handicapped waiting room before Bob did as he was encumbered with the luggage

At about 9:30 they came and got us and loaded the luggage onto a golf cart/tram vehicle. There was an old lady and her bag on it already, and they picked up another old lady with a walker. With the two ladies and Bob and all the luggage, there was no room for me or the scooter, so I just followed him. He was very fast - even at the highest rabbit setting, I couldn't keep up but when he stopped to offload the old ladies I could catch up. First he put one old lady in first class (coach K). Then the other old lady was in one of the other cars. We were in car C at the front, and he helped us on with our luggage, which was good.

We are sitting in the front of the car (our luggage and the folded scooter) It did not seem to matter that we didn't sit on our assigned seats. There is a plug where I can plug the computer in and wi-fi on the train. But as we got farther from London, the wi-fi got slower and slower. There was also a dining car on the train

Tramcar ahead of me unloading an old lady Scooter and our bags at the front of the car Plug for the computer Bob going the wrong way with the luggage Elevator down from where the taxi dropped us
    • Seniors

• tiaomu's Profile Photo

by tiaomu Updated Apr 28, 2005

If you have heavy luggage, you should get off at a bus stop of the east side of the station, not of the south side, because there are stairs.
    Even if you have enough money, you may purchase a normal ticket for Heathrow Express, because it takes only 20 minutes to go from the station to the station of Heathrow Terminal 1,2,3.
    There is a Sushi restaurant which is a Japanese food in the station.
    I did not use a hotel around there, however, you should do it befor the last day of your visit London, because I think the place around the station is very convineint and you can easily access to the Heathrow Airport by Heathrow Express.

Heathrow Express, First Class train

• Galahad's Profile Photo

by Galahad Updated Feb 7, 2005

Trains to the west go from Paddington. Reading, Oxford, Worcester and Hereford, Swindon, Cheltenham and Bristol are by First Great Western. There are also Virgin Trains to Birmingham via Oxford, Banbury, Leamington Spa, Coventry, Birmingham International and Birmingham New Street.
    The station was built by Brunel.
    I have seen the Royal Train waiting on Platform 1 on more than one occasion.

• Business Travel

Paddington Shopping

by grandmaR Written Apr 23, 2015

One of the things we saw in the station was a shop selling Paddington Bear souvenirs. I had heard of Paddington Bear, but did not really know the story. In 1956, a BBC cameraman bought a small toy bear left alone on a shelf in Selfridges store, London, for his wife Brenda. He named the bear Paddington, after the station close to his home. The bear inspires him to write a series of stories about the bear

After a deadly earthquake destroys his home in Peruvian rainforest, a young bear makes his way to England in search of a new home. The bear, dubbed "Paddington" for the london train station, finds shelter with the family of Henry and Mary Brown .*

Monday to Friday: 07:00 - 19:30 Saturday: 09:00 - 18:30 Sunday: 09:00 - 19:00

What to buy: I did not shop here but thought it was interesting.

Paddington Bear gifts, toys and souvenirs including bags, mugs, magnets, badges, watches, DVDs, CDs, books and children's duffle coats.

Instant Answers: Paddington

Comments

Paddington Travel Guide
Map of Paddington