Richmond Local Customs

After the meal!

Most Recent Local Customs in Richmond

White Cross-"Stranded' Meet.

by diosh Updated Sep 18, 2007

After the event!'Where did I put it?'

We had a small, intimate meeting ,31/08/07.-upstairs at the pub- to watch the dramatic high tide.A good time was had by all-- some- who even paddled!

A hardy crew finished up at Tootsies, enjoying a delicious meal, fabulous company- with more refreshment.
    I think we finally parted company at 12.30a.m.-the meet having started at 1.30p.m.!
    I had got up at 6.30 to be early enough to meet Pattypoo at Victoria.I don't know how I kept going for so long--must have been the scintillating company.It really was enjoyable.

Please excuse me if some photos are replicated-am suffering from aftermath of flu! Will re-check later.
    I'd love to know who I caught it from-at the meet!
    I've been ill ever since!

Celebrating the High Tide-31/08/07

by diosh Updated Sep 14, 2007

Ellie,Phil and me trying to do the VT greeting!

I planned a meeting t the White Cross pub on Richmond riverside.It was to coincide with the highest tide of the year-which comes up and into the pub garden.
    It certainly did its stuff- wonderfully.The water came up to the steps of the pub- the footpath being well and truly under water.
    We had a wonderful view from the balcony.I'd booked the upstairs room- so we'd get a good view and could be on our own-just VT'ers up there enjoying the spectacle.
    Some local kids actually were paddling , some even swimming in the water covering the footpath!It was like a happy, beach scene!
    A certain member-PhilKeen- went so far as to take his shoes and socks off and go paddling!

By the way--waearing our VT stickers, kindly supplied by Pattypoo- we were spotted by a young girl, who'd also been the upstairs room-celebrating a works do.
    She came over to us and told us she was also a VT member!What a small world!
    We gave her our user names, but I can't remember now who took hers.
    If anyone can remember - what is it?

Celebrating the High Tide-31/08/07

by diosh Written Sep 8, 2007

Phil and me trying to do the VT greeting!

It certainly did its stuff- wonderfully.The water came up to the steps of the pub- the ffotpath being well and truly under water.
    We had a wonderful view from the balcony.I'd booked the upstairs room- so we'd get a good view and could be on our own-just VTers up there enjoying the spectacle.

• sue_stone's Profile Photo

Richmond May Fair

by sue_stone Written May 12, 2007

Richmond May Fair

Every year in May Richmond holds a fair, which takes over the large, grassy Richmond Green. The whole town turns out, along with the surrounding areas, to make this one of the events of the year in this part of London.

The fair is filled with stalls set up by charities who are keen to raise funds and offer you a fun day out at the same time. There is a good selection of stalls selling bric-a-brac, crafts, and lots of cake stalls with homemade looking tempting treats.

My favourite stalls are the tombalas - where you pay money and select a number of tickets for a type of 'lucky dip'. If you draw a ticket with a number ending in 0 or 5 you will win a prize - and as most of the prizes this year were bottles of wine I was disappointed when I didn't win!

There are rides for the kids and sausage sizzles for the hungry. There is also a dog show which another VT'er is rumoured to have won one year - well, not her, but her dog of course!

Richmond Green, Richmond, TW9 1QQ

• Theme Park Trips

• Jenniflower's Profile Photo

The oldest tree of its kind in London!

by Jenniflower Written Jan 2, 2007

This tree is found in the garden of the Canyon. Restaurant, a restaurant by the side of the river (we have not eaten here here).

The plaque says ‘ The Richmond Riverside Plane, is the tallest of its kind in the capital, and is a great tree of London – Platanus X Hispanica’

Quite an accolade, and quite a tree!

If you would like more information about this and other great trees in London, have a look at the London Tree Forum.

• Birdwatching
    • Eco-Tourism
    • Jungle and Rain Forest

• diosh's Profile Photo

More Christmas bubbles and baubles 2007.

by diosh Written Dec 28, 2007

Tree bauble.

This is the local tradition of giving guests a bottle of bubbles in their cracker on the Christmas table!

• Festivals

Instant Answers: Richmond

Comments

Richmond Local Customs

Reviews and photos of Richmond local customs posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Richmond sightseeing.