Richmond Restaurants

the sign above the cellar
    by davidjo
    BARKERS
    by gwendar
    MENU INSIDE
    by gwendar

Most Recent Restaurants in Richmond

• davidjo's Profile Photo

PIG'S EARS CRAFT BEER CELLAR: A MUST FOR BEER DRINKERS !!!

by davidjo Written Jan 9, 2013

the  sign above the cellar

Could not resist going downstairs to this unique pub restaurant. I had already eaten next door so i just had a half int but the food that was being dished out looked delicious. Hopefully i will have a chance to return and taste the fayre. You have to go down some steps to enter the basement pub otherwise you would not know it was there. There seems to be special offers each day of the week and sometimes entertainment at night such as quizzes and live music. The real attraction of this place is the 150 or more craft beers on offer.

• davidjo's Profile Photo

THE OLD SHIP: have a pint, forget the food

by davidjo Written Jan 8, 2013

beer only!!!

I popped in here for a pint the other day and felt a little peckish so i ordered chicken and chips. Never again -- it was tasteless !!! The pub is fine for its ambience and has two fires in the winter months. and in the summer there is a patio. It is located in the heart of Richmond near the old city hall.

• planxty's Profile Photo

Bingham Restaurant.: The best meal I have had for years.

by planxty Updated Dec 5, 2012

Bingham restaurant, Richmond, Greater London, UK.

I am fortunate enough to have eaten in some very wonderful restaurants over the years, and by that I don't necessarily mean fine dining. I am equally happy in some little place out of the way with well cooked local food as I am in a good restaurant, and I hope this is reflected in my tips. I don't think I am mistaken, however, when I composed the title of this tip, the restaurant in the Bingham Hotel is, simply, wonderful.

A perfectly prepared pre-dinner Mojito on the lovely terrace overlooking the Thames was a great start. We were then shown into the pleasant, fairly sparsely decorated but comfortable dining room and shown by a courteous maitre d' to a window table with the same magnificent view.

We were there early week and the place was not terribly full, although we subsequently found out that the gents dining near us were the head chef from the nearby Petersham Hotel (another fine restaurant) and his friends. They certainly seemed to be enjoying the fare.

The service was good but not over-fussy and the sommelier managed to conspire with my companion to pick an excellent (and not ruinously expensive) bottle. I freely admit to being no wine expert but to my untutored eye, the wine list seemed very comprehensive.

The food was, simply stunning. I had studied the menu on the website (I suggest you do the same) and it had seemed a little over-complicated but when the food arrived everything was perfectly balanced and portions sufficient to be satisfying without over feeding you.

An example of what I mean about the dishes was the main course I had. I am always keen to try new things, and I had never had veal cheeks before, so I opted for them. Braised veal cheeks served with parmesan gnocchi, sweetbread, roast cauliflower puree and a red wine sauce might sound a little overdone. I assure you it was nothing short of wonderful.

I could not manage a sweet but a coffee and a very fine glass of port completed things nicely.

Certainly this is not a place I could afford to eat regularly but the lunch prix fixe menu at £15 for two courses and £19 for three seems a steal.

According to the website, head chef Shay Cooper has worked in Michelin starred restaurants before. On the evidence of this meal, I would not be surprised if he does not go on to a Michelin star or two himself.

This place really is a delight and I can only recommend you go there. I can't wait to visit again.

Favorite Dish: As described the braised veal cheeks served with parmesan gnocchi, sweetbread, roast cauliflower puree, red wine sauce which almost defies description, so good was it.

• gwendar's Profile Photo

BARKERS: ONE MORE GREAT FISH RESTAURANT

by gwendar Written Aug 15, 2012
    BARKERS

This is a fine example of the great british fish /chip restaurant,it serves very good fish and all manner of other foods in clean friendly premises,you can dine inside or buy to take away,there is also family restaurant upstairs,it is to be found across from the indoor market in the main market sq.

Favorite Dish: i always eat the fish and chips,always very fresh.{3 VISITS]

• Photography

• gwendar's Profile Photo

RICHMOND FISHERIES/NORTH YORKSHIRE: REAL FINE FISH AND CHIPS

by gwendar Updated Jun 5, 2012
    OUTSIDE RICHMOND FISHERIES

THIS IS A LIVING GEM OF A TRADITIONAL BRITISH FISH AND CHIP RESTAURANT,IN A SIDE STREET IN RICHMOND NORTH YORKSHIRE IT SERVES FINE FISH AND OTHER HOT FOODS,IT HAS A SMALL DINEING AREA INSIDE AND ALSO CATERS FOR TAKE AWAY FOODS.

Favorite Dish: THE EXERLENT FRESH COD CHIPS AND MUSHY PEAS,

Petersham Nurseries Restaurant: Petersham Nurseries Restaurant

Beetroot Ravioli

Just back from an idyllic lunch at Petersham Nurseries Restaurant (not to be confused with the café). The restaurant is open for lunch, six days a week, and is housed in a pretty nursery greenhouse. Your rickety chair wobbles on the dirt floor as you eat some very pricy food, surrounded by pot plants and creepers. But the food was very good, and the gorgeous setting seemed to numb the pain of the bill a little.

We timed our visit to coincide with a 'chef swap' that was taking place - Petersham's regular head chef, Skye Gyngell, had traded places with top Sydney chef Sean Moran for a month.

Favorite Dish: The menu was small, with only 5 choices per course. We started with the Beetroot Ravioli with Ticklemore Aged Goats Cheese. I really loved this dish - not only did it look fabulous but the flavours worked really really well. Main course was the Milk Fed Veal Chop barbequed with peperonata, sage, runner beans and anchovy butter; and the Hampshire Pork, roasted with fennel, greengages & butternut squash. Both meals were generous in size and flavours. Really happy with our choices.

Unfortunately there was nothing on the dessert menu we fancied, so we paid up, and wandered back across Petersham Meadows, dodging cowpats along the way, and stopped off at our favourite chocolate shop for a sweet treat.

• Luxury Travel

The Bingham: The Bingham - stylish hotel near the river

Delicious choc dessert

Well, it was our wedding anniversary so it seemed like the perfect excuse to go out somewhere nice for Sunday lunch! We decided to stay close to home and wandered down to the Bingham, which is located close to the river in Richmond.

The Bingham is a boutique hotel, restaurant and bar, housed in a Georgian townhouse which dates back to the 1700s. It is a very popular place for weddings and functions due to its classy interior and river views.

When we arrived we were ushered into the gorgeous bar area where we relaxed for a while with a drink and enjoyed the luxurious room. While we had our drink we also looked at the menu and even ordered our meal. A little while later we were escorted to our table in the dining room.

There was a two piece band playing some relaxing music and the service was professional but relaxed which all really added to the enjoyment of our meal.

Favorite Dish: To start, I had the Baked River Trout with new potatoes & rocket salad, and Alex had the Seared Scallops with cauliflower puree. Both were very tasty with interesting flavours.

Main course for Alex was the Scotch fillet with shallot and red wine butter & Duchess potato. He was particularly keen on the Duchess potato - it was mashed potato piped into a swirly cone-shaped pile and then baked. I had the Filet of Venison with honey roast parsnips & Savoy cabbage - the flavours were good and I do love a parsnip.

We somehow managed to fit in dessert - I had the Lemon Tart (nothing to write home about) and Alex had the Chocolate Trio of fondant, cream and sorbet. Wow - it was pretty amazing....and he managed to eat it all, with only a little bit of help from me ; )

We had a really fabulous lunch, the whole experience was great and we will definitely return to the Bingham.

• Luxury Travel

Lass O' Richmond Hill: Lass O' Richmond Hill - Old fashioned Gastropub

Lass O' Richmond Hill

An impromptu visit one Monday evening to friends who live in the lovely area of Richmond lead to a meal at the Lass O' Richmond Hill, a friendly pub with good food, not far from their place.

The Lass O' Richmond Hill looks like a pretty typical London pub - cosy feeling inside, with plenty of wooden ceiling beams and a good selection of beer on tap. The staff were friendly and there was even non-smoking areas!

**We have since returned for lunch one Sunday. The atmosphere was great but the food wasn't too good. Oh well, sure we will be back as it is a great pub**

Favorite Dish: There was a huge selection of food to choose from, from the printed menu and also a large specials board. So, Chris and Nik ordered the Gammon Steak, Tandor had the tasty looking Beef & Speckled Hen Pie, I had a special of Duck Breast with crushed potatoes and Pak Choy, and Alex had the Halibut with vegies and a yum sauce. All the meals were quite good, except for mine which was below average.

We had 2 desserts between us - a Sticky Figgy Pudding and a Treacle Sponge. Both disappeared very quickly. Drinks consisted of some beer and various glasses of wine.

An enjoyable evening with great friends.

• Jenniflower's Profile Photo

H20 Floating Restaurant: Dining on the Thames! :)

by Jenniflower Updated Apr 4, 2011

H20 at Christmas

This restaurant is upmarket, expensive but lovely in summer for that brunch with the girls, or a romantic dinner with your partner.

Service is good, booking essential!

The river is often very busy in summer, and it is great fun sitting here and watching the barges and boats going by.

You can hire a rowboat nearby for a few pounds an hour, so at least you can also have a chance on the river! :)

Favorite Dish: I loved the salad I had, a Caesar salad. I have only been once so am not sure what the other meals are like. My friends seemed to enjoy their meals too.

Continental in flavour, the pastas look great, as do the pizzas.

Next time we go I will try one and give you more feedback :)

• Jenniflower's Profile Photo

Tootsies: VERY special Tootsies chain! :)

by Jenniflower Updated Apr 4, 2011

Tootsies is another favourite place to eat. We usually go to the Richmond branch (as in the photo) or the Putney branch, both of them are alongside the river. Tootsies will always hold a special place in my family's heart and here's why :)

On 18 September 2004, I had arranged a surprise birthday party for my sister here. All friends had arrived and drinks were ordered. Then suddenly...my sister-in-law went into labour!!!! Baby wasnt due for another 3 weeks yet so this was a huge surprise! Her waters broke and we all dashed out - us paying for the undrunken drinks - to get her to hospital.

To cut a long story short, we ended up eating Mexican takeouts in the waiting room and baby was born by emergency caesarian section at 10:05pm that night. Baby was breach. The amazing thing was that my brother and his wife dont have a car (as many people in central London dont), and they would not have been able to get to the hospital as quickly as they did had one of friends not been wiht us.. with her car! :)

Baby and ma were fine, and my little niece is living back in South Africa now and is growing into the most beautiful little kid.

Favorite Dish: The burgers are really terrific, lots of salad and good beef in the burger... but our all-time favourites here are the waffles with strawberries and icecream.... they just melt in your mouth :) We even got some blueberries and raspberries with them once!

UPDATE April 2007!
    We have been here a couple times since, once with dear friend Kat and her long-time friend Kris, my sister and hubby. We had a wonderful time, service was great, albeit the waitress not knowing what French mustard was... and bringing out 'French's' mustard instead!

We had a variety of burgers between us, and I had chicken skewers with a small portion of ribs, and salad. VERY good food indeed, and the sunset reflected over the Thames was gorgeous, but the company topped it all :)

• diosh's Profile Photo

'Al Borgo'.: Great Italian!

by diosh Updated Nov 14, 2009
    The Boss!Marco Borghesi.Love those jeans!

The food was beautifully served, the host,Marco Borghesi, friendly and the food delicious.The 3 of us dining all had different choices, so a variety of dishes was tried.
    The decor of the place is bright, light and comfy. Seats, especially are very comfortable. We stayed a long time, eating at leisure and were not rushed.Mind you- there were few diners at lunchtime. It was a cold, rainy,windy day- so people were not venturing out!
    We began with a glass of Prosecco, had red wine with the meal and finished with lemon liquers and wonderful coffee.
    Plentiful supplies of bread and butter were offered- a variety of delicious breads, homemade.

Favorite Dish: I had fillet steak, with crispy, shredded red onions and new potatoes, in a red wine sauce.It was 'melt in the mouth'- perfectly cooked.'Filetto di manzo con cipolle rosse di Tropea,salsa al vino rosso e patate al rosmarino'.
    I had a lovely pumpkin soup as a starter, my friends had goat's cheese wrapped in pastry parcels-'Involotino di formaggio caprino con verdure saltate',
    followed by 'Tortelli di ricotta con salsa de fave e pecorino' and the steak.

Deserts were-Raspberry tart,white chocolate souffle, apple strudel, ice cream and several other choices, followed by cheeses...in which we did not partake as we were too full!

• Trains

• suvanki's Profile Photo

Costa Coffee: Plane spotting over a coffee!

by suvanki Written May 11, 2009
    Costa Coffee - outside plane spotting!

Costa Coffee is one of those chain of coffee shops seen in every High Street, shopping Mall in the UK, and beyond. Not as well known or prosperous as Starbucks, but probably run on similar lines.
    The first Costa Coffee was opened in 1971 at 9 Newport Street, London, by Sergio and Bruno Costa.

The Costa Coffee in Richmond that I had a drink at was just outside the train station - it was a lovely sunny morning, and there were tables outside, so I decided to stop here for a while- to be continued....

Picnic in Isabella Plantation

by suvanki Updated May 4, 2009
    Angiebabe, Celia.q and Diosh

I couldn't believe that we had such perfect weather for our trip to Richmond Park and for our picnic - Bright blue sky, fluffy white clouds and sunshine!

Isabella Plantation was a perfect location for a picnic, and we found a spot that was away from others (ie screaming children etc).
    We had quite a spread between us - sandwiches, sausages, scotch eggs, olives, cheese, pineapple, bananas, grapes, crisps, Dianas home made seafood salad, an assortment of juices, individual glasses of wine (courtesy of Angie - and Sainsburys!) and Celia had a flask of coffee for us all at the end.

I was surprised that there weren't more bins around the park - I found one eventually near an entrance/exit gate, to deposit our picnic rubbish. Surprisingly there was very little litter in the park!

On the official Richmond Park site, there is a download of Suggestions for preparing your picnic (I couldn't open it, so I'm quite curious as to what it says)

• National/State Park

Angelo Italian Deli Caffe/Restaurant: Friendly Italian Restaurant

by suvanki Updated May 3, 2009

Angelo

We were looking for somewhere to have a pot of tea - it was around 1900hrs on the Friday before the Bank Holiday, everyone else seemed to be already imbibing, or heading for something stronger!
    We soon came across this Italian restaurant, with tables outside, in the narrow street-and they served tea!
    They also sold Italian Ice Cream! So, Angiebabe and I ordered 2 Earl Grey teas and Ice cream - I chose Chocolate and lemon sorbet, Angie opted for lemon sorbet and Strawberry.
    The cups of tea were quite a good size- these arrived with a tea bag in the water, and a mini teapot shaped plate for the used tea bag.
    The ice cream was served in a pastel coloured dish.
    I enjoyed my Ice cream, Angie thought hers was a bit too acidic.

Angelo, the owner was stood in the doorway, and I asked him if he made the ice cream - he said that they bought it from the ice cream maker a few doors away,

There were some delicious smells of food wafting out of the restaurant-I could have been tempted to stay and try more from the enticing menu, but I had to get back to Earls Court, to collect my case, and head for my train home.
    Hopefully, I'll come back here one day.

Angelo and his waitress were very friendly and helpful. (As we'd arrived, a couple were just vacating their seats- they told us that the staff were very obliging, and they appeared to have enjoyed their time here)

I'd spotted that they sold Prosecco, which reminded me of my Italian holidays, and wondered if they also served Aperol Spritz-the waitress asked Angelo who said that they had something similar- I didn't recognise the name, but she asked if I wanted to try a sample. In the end, they didn't have this drink, but they offered me a Campari instead, which I declined (a drink that I still haven't acquired the taste of!)

Our bill came to £10 for 2 cups of Earl Grey tea and 2x 2 scoops of delicious ice cream.

• planxty's Profile Photo

Pizza Rustica: Pizza Perfection.

by planxty Written Jan 16, 2009

Pizza Rustica, Richmond, London, UK

I visited this place one evening on the off chance, having walked past it many times before. I was intrigued by the sign claiming it had been voted best pizza in the UK twice previously (Restaurant Magazine 2007 for one) and decided to give it a go.

the first thing I noticed was that early midweek, it was absolutely packed and we had to go to the upstairs dining room, in itself not a problem. It reminded me of nothing so much as a very retro 70's Italian restaurant, and certainly wasn't decked out in the minimalist style so much in vogue with eateries nowadays. Just my kind of place.

Service was efficient and friendly even with the amount of diners and the pizza was just gorgeous. My companion declared her meal to be wonderful as well. In my experience, pizza can be a bit hit or miss, especially some of the chain places, but this was just perfect. The house wine was extremely palatable as well

I have read a number of reviews on the Internet since, and they seem to be unanimous in praise for the place.

It is open 12pm to 11pm Monday to Thursday, 12pm to 10.30pm Friday and Saturday and 12pm to 10.30pm Sunday. I don't know for a fact but judging by how crowded it was midweek, booking might be advisable at the weekend.
    highly recommended.

Favorite Dish: Ask for the award winning pizza, specially created, it really is good.

Instant Answers: Richmond

Comments

Richmond Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Richmond restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Richmond sightseeing.