Richmond Restaurants

the sign above the cellar
    by davidjo

Best Rated Restaurants in Richmond

Matsuba: Matsuba - superior Japanese

by sue_stone Written May 12, 2007

Miso soup & Gyoza

Matusba is a small, sophisticated looking Japanese restaurant in Richmond. After having read many good reviews about it, we eventually made it there for dinner one evening. I thankfully booked ahead - the restaurant was fully booked, and several groups were turned away during our meal.

The lunch menus sound like good value, and the dinner menu is pricy, with a huge amount of dishes to choose from. There are a few set menus, but our waitress advised us against those. Service was friendly for the most part, though at times I got the feeling that our waitress wasn't really interested.

Favorite Dish: We ordered a couple of Asahi beers and read our way through the extensive menu. We opted for some Miso soup to start (it was delicious!) and some Meat Gyoza. We also had a serve of the Grilled Squid with Asparagus, which although delicious, was a ridiculously small portion for the price.

Next up were some very tasty sushi rolls which had crab and avocado with a spicy sauce - they were very good. The funny thing was that they were also supposed to have salmon in them….but the chef forgot to add it, and we forgot that it was supposed to be in there as they were so good anyway. We were halfway through eating it when the waitress came over and confessed that the chef had forgotten, but was making the salmon up into some small rolls for us. These too were fabulous, the salmon was excellent quality and we are looking forward to returning for some sashimi in the near future.

Finally we had some Teriyaki Duck and rice, again the flavours were very good. We were very impressed with Matsuba - some of the best Japanese we have had in London. We will definitely be back, probably to try out the lunch menu next time, and some more of that salmon.

• Luxury Travel

Restaurant 109: Restaurant 109 - Local Restaurant & Gallery

by sue_stone Updated Dec 11, 2007

Restaurant 109

Restaurant 109 is a small, family run restaurant located a few minutes walk from Richmond Station, on the way to Kew. It is a friendly feeling place, with colourful paintings by a local artist covering the walls.

After eyeing out 109 for several months, we finally dined there one Tuesday night with friends. Perhaps this wasn't the best time of week to dine at 109 as there was only one other table of 2 dining that night, which affected the atmosphere a bit, but hey, at least the service was attentive.

Favorite Dish: The varied menu offered something for everyone, though we weren't impressed with the choices on the set menu, so ordered A la carte instead. To start we sampled the Thai crab and salmon fish cake with salad and chilli sauce, and the Moroccan spiced pigeon with spring onions, wrapped in filo pastry. The fish cakes were huge and tasted quite strongly of lemon grass (which isn't necessarily a bad thing), and the pigeon meat was good, but the accompanying sauce tasted a little 'out of a jar'.

For main course we had the Confit of duck leg with chorizo and puy lentils, onion jus, the Pork belly slow roasted with savoy cabbage and sauté potatoes, and the Barramundi pan fried with mild mustard sauce, mushy peas, mash potato. All meals were fine, though the presentation of the Barramundi was pretty poor.

For dessert we shared the Assortment of three little desserts - vodka jelly, baileys brulee & chocolate truffle. The jelly was tasty, as was the chocolate truffle, though I wasn't a fan of the brulee.

Restaurant 109 is a decent local restaurant, though I am hesitant to go there for dinner again, though would return to try their Sunday lunch one day.

Tangawizi: Tangawizi - Awesome Indian

by sue_stone Written Jul 25, 2007

Tangawizi is a small Indian restaurant located in East Twickenham, just over the bridge from Richmond. As a rule I don't eat Indian food - not that I don't like it, but because is doesn't agree with my delicate constitution. However, after reading a rave review by a professional reviewer that I have met (who said it is one of the best Indian restaurants in London at the moment) I decided to give it a try. Oh, and did I mention that living only a ten minute walk away made it too hard to resist.

Set in a small, narrow restaurant, Tangawizi is kind of dark and very purple. We were given a table at the front of the restaurant, so we "wouldn't be disturbed by the large group" at the rear. The staff were incredibly friendly and helpful - can't remember the last time I had such lovely service. We felt so welcome….ok, I know that is not as important as the food, but it helps to make the meal an even more enjoyable experience.

Favorite Dish: To start, we enjoyed the complimentary papadams, which we dipped in a sweet mango chutney. Then we moved onto the Tangawizi aaron platter - which included a selection of tasty treats such as chicken tikka, juicy lamb chops, tiger prawns, paneer tikka, seekh kebab and chowk ki tikki.

We then shared a Koli curry (mild chicken and coconut curry) with some basmati rice, and side dishes of Saag paneer (soft cottage cheese with spinach) and Dal makhani (urad dal and red kidney beans cooked with cumin seeds). And of course some Naan bread to help mop up that delicious coconuty sauce. I loved every dish we had, though the Dal makhani was particularly special.

Serving sizes were generous and we had ordered way too much - no problem, the wonderful staff just packaged up the left-overs for us to take home.

• sue_stone's Profile Photo

Taylor Street Baristas: Best Coffee in Richmond!

by sue_stone Written Jan 4, 2007

delicious coffee

Located inside a fabulous food store called Source, close to Richmond station, is the small Taylor Street Baristas café. This small section within the shop is run by a team of Australian trained baristas who are making the best coffee in Richmond!

The team is dedicated to making the perfect coffee each time - they follow all of the correct espresso making techniques (I also trained as a Barista in Australia back in the day, and approve of their methods!).

Favorite Dish: Presentation is very important to them as well - most of the coffees are served with 'Latte Art' on the top, which is a pattern in the milk created by pouring the correctly heated milk (not too hot) in a certain way to create the pattern.

The coffee not only looks good but it tastes great. You can drink it inside the shop or take it away. If you drink in there is a small selection of pastries on offer or you can buy some of the tasty chocolates or biscuits on sale in the shop to enjoy with your coffee.

Pizzeria Rustica: Pizzeria Rustica - Stone-baked Pizza

by sue_stone Written Feb 26, 2007

our lunch

Pizzeria Rustica is a small pizza restaurant located on the main drag in Richmond, close to the station. I have walked past it numerous times and was always intrigued by a sign out the front claiming that they won 'Best Pizza in London' a couple of years back. So one day Alex and I popped in for lunch to see how good the pizza really.

This is a real 'Italian feeling' place, with all Italian staff who spoke to us in a mixture of Italian and English. They were very friendly and smiley, singing along to the 80's music that was playing.

Favorite Dish: The restaurant has seating over a couple of levels. We sat in the small area at the back on the ground floor, right by the kitchen. There is a good range of starters and antipasti type treats on the menu, along with salads and pastas - but we went straight to the pizza.

There were 14 different types of stone-baked pizza's to choose from. I opted for the Bella Italia, with Mozzarella, fresh tomato, rocket & parma ham, and I had some artichoke added. Alex had the Capricciosa, with Mozzarella, tomato, ham, egg, mushrooms, artichokes, pepperoni & olives.

Both of the pizzas were really tasty, and pretty big! I think next time we will have some antipasti to start and then share a pizza.

For the two pizza's and a couple of drinks the bill came to 23 pounds.

A Cena: A Cena - Authentic Italian

Delicious main courses

One clear, cold winters evening we met up with friends for dinner at a little Italian restaurant called A Cena. It is located on the Richmond/Twickenham border, just across Richmond Bridge.

A Cena has a fabulous cosy atmosphere, just perfect for the winters evening we visited. It is moodily lit, with tasteful décor and a relaxed yet classy vibe. Service through out the evening was professional and the food lived up to the rumours we had heard - it was excellent.

Whilst perusing the menu and catching up on gossip we enjoyed a glass of Proseco and some Italian breads with olive oil.

Favorite Dish: Starters all sounded great so we couldn't resist. Alex & I shared the Wild Boar Salami and the Risotto Amarone della Valpolicella - both were delicious. Sarah had the Artichoke Fritti with lemon and Steve had the Pan fried Scallops with Anchovy & Rosemary Sauce. We all had a taste of each and no one was disappointed.

Main courses were even better - Sarah and I both ordered the Grilled Ribeye Steak with Tarragon butter, Creamed Spinach & "Patatine Fritte" (aka chips!) - the steak was really tasty and I would happily go there tomorrow and order it again.

Alex had the Pot-Roast Guinea Fowl with Marsala, Braised Leg Meat, Chestnuts, Savoy Cabbage & Potato - I tried some and it was excellent, just melted in your mouth. Steve had the Pan Fried Halibut with Mussels, Roasted Cherry Tomatoes, Oregano and Olive Oil Mash and again this was really good - the mussels looked particularly plump and flavoursome.

Somehow we managed to squeeze in some desserts…..Sarah & Steve shared the White Chocolate Mousse, while Alex and I shared the Chocolate & Coffee Cassata which was rich and mmm - good!

We really enjoyed are evening at A Cena and will definitely be returning again soon.

• Wine Tasting

The Tea Box: The Tea Box

by sue_stone Updated Oct 28, 2007

The Tea Box

There used to be a café in Richmond called the Chocolate Café - sounds good doesn't it....well, it wasn't that great actually. So when it closed down I wasn't too disappointed. After a few months of an empty shop, a new café called The Tea Box has just opened in its place.

The Tea Box looks like the perfect place to while away a wintery afternoon, with its antique-looking furniture, large choice of teas, and tempting looking homemade cakes. We visited a few days after they first opened, for some morning tea.

Favorite Dish: We chose a small table by the window, decided which cakes we wanted and I headed up to the counter to order, only to be advised that it was table service. Fine, I sat back down and flicked through the paper, getting a little annoyed as it wasn't busy, but took at least 5 minutes for someone to come and take our order. Although there was 4 staff working (that we saw), only one seemed to be dealing with customers.

Eventually we ordered and got our tea and cake. I loved the old-fashioned tea cups, and also liked the "Perfect Tea Timer" we were given which would tell us when our tea was brewed light, medium or strong. The carrot cake was pretty good, the chocolate cake not so good.

The Bingham: The Bingham - stylish hotel near the river

by sue_stone Updated Apr 4, 2011

Delicious choc dessert

Well, it was our wedding anniversary so it seemed like the perfect excuse to go out somewhere nice for Sunday lunch! We decided to stay close to home and wandered down to the Bingham, which is located close to the river in Richmond.

The Bingham is a boutique hotel, restaurant and bar, housed in a Georgian townhouse which dates back to the 1700s. It is a very popular place for weddings and functions due to its classy interior and river views.

When we arrived we were ushered into the gorgeous bar area where we relaxed for a while with a drink and enjoyed the luxurious room. While we had our drink we also looked at the menu and even ordered our meal. A little while later we were escorted to our table in the dining room.

There was a two piece band playing some relaxing music and the service was professional but relaxed which all really added to the enjoyment of our meal.

Favorite Dish: To start, I had the Baked River Trout with new potatoes & rocket salad, and Alex had the Seared Scallops with cauliflower puree. Both were very tasty with interesting flavours.

Main course for Alex was the Scotch fillet with shallot and red wine butter & Duchess potato. He was particularly keen on the Duchess potato - it was mashed potato piped into a swirly cone-shaped pile and then baked. I had the Filet of Venison with honey roast parsnips & Savoy cabbage - the flavours were good and I do love a parsnip.

We somehow managed to fit in dessert - I had the Lemon Tart (nothing to write home about) and Alex had the Chocolate Trio of fondant, cream and sorbet. Wow - it was pretty amazing....and he managed to eat it all, with only a little bit of help from me ; )

We had a really fabulous lunch, the whole experience was great and we will definitely return to the Bingham.

• Luxury Travel

• sue_stone's Profile Photo

Petersham Nurseries Tea House: Petersham Nurseries Tea House - magical!

Pretty tea room

One of the loveliest places I have ever had morning tea is at the Petersham Nurseries Tea Room, which is located a short walk from the river in Richmond.

The nursery itself is a beautiful place, with all varieties of plants for sale, laid out in ramshackle green houses. At the nursery there is the relaxed Tea House and also a Café/Restaurant that serves up fine dining cuisine.

The nursery is a 10-15 minute walk from Richmond Bridge. You can walk along the river for a bit and then cut across Petersham Meadows, dodging the resident cows.

You can sit inside or out. Outside you will be sitting on little mis-matched chairs and tables amongst the foliage. It is a really pretty setting. We visited on a Sunday morning, arriving right before the 11am opening time. Within 10 minutes almost all of the tables were full.

Favorite Dish: Alex queued up to order our food, while I chose a nice little table outside. We both had a coffee (mine decaf) which came in individual plungers and was pretty good.

To eat, Alex had a slice of apple cake and I have a lamington (an Australian cake). Yum - I do love a lamington and hadn't had one for ages.

• Beer Tasting

The Original Maids of Honour: The Original Maids of Honour - Tea Room

afternoon tea

If you are looking for an authentic British afternoon tea after a visit to Kew Gardens, close to Richmond, then pop across the road to The Original Maids of Honour. This quaint tea room is the perfect place to relax and soak up the traditional atmosphere.

The Original Maids of Honour has been operating in the area for nearly 300 years. It is home to the delicious Maid of Honour cake - which is kind of like a light custard tart, but the recipe is a family secret that has been passed down through the generations.

Favorite Dish: The café is open for morning coffee, lunch and afternoon tea. At lunch time you can choose from a selection of home made pies and sausage rolls, quiches, sandwiches or the Roast of the Day.

Stop by in the afternoon for the Maids of Honour set tea, which includes tea (or coffee), 2 scones with jam and clotted cream and a Maid of Honour cake. Delicious!!

There are also a selection of freshly made cakes and pastries that you can eat in or take away.

Opening Hours

Afternoon Tea 2.30 pm - 5.30 pm

The Naked Turtle: The Naked Turtle - A little bit of Africa

by sue_stone Updated Mar 9, 2007

The Naked Turtle

A mid-week dinner with friends was on the agenda, and the venue was the Naked Turtle in East Sheen, South West London. It is located just two train stops from Richmond, or a short bus/taxi ride.

This unusually named restaurant is a little gem. Their cuisine is South African influenced and delicious. The atmosphere is friendly and relaxed and the service is great.

You can have a drink before your meal, and weather permitting there is a terrace where you can relax and watch the passing commuters. They even have a happy hour each day.

There is a jazz pianist who plays throughout the evening, and the best part - singing waitresses!! Don't worry, they don't sing to you as they serve your food, instead, at stages through out the evening, the girls take it in turns to sit at the piano and sing some jazz classics.

Favorite Dish: So, the food. Well, it was pretty good. For starter, Alex had the Confit Duck Salad, Nik had the Seared Diver Scallops and Tandor had the Calamari rings with Lime butter. I may have sampled all of them, and they were all tasty.

For the main course Tandor & I had the Beef Rump, and Alex & Nik had the Blesbok (a type of Antelope). The boys certainly made the right choice, although the Rump was good, the Blesbok just melted in your mouth.

Desserts all round. Alex had the Bitter chocolate mousse, raspberries and kirsch. Nik had the Lime Creme Cataflan, caramelised orange. Tandor and I both had the Cape Malva pudding with vanilla pod ice cream - this was kind of like a Sticky Toffee pudding, but better!

To drink we had a couple of bottles of a very nice South African red wine from Jordan Estate.

This was a great evening with good friends, and it was a celebration as well - it was Tandor's birthday and they announced their engagement! Cheers!!

La Buvette: La Buvette - cosy French Bistro

La Buvette

Hidden away on a cobbled lane just off Richmond High Street, is a charming restaurant called La Buvette. It is a little bistro with a very cosy feel, serving up typical French cuisine.

Having walked by it numerous times we decided to try it our one night with some friends. There is a terrace for alfresco dining in the warmer months (the perfect place for Sunday lunch!) and a small dining area inside, which is was on the night we dined.

Favorite Dish: The food was mostly good. To start, Alex & Gerri both had the King scallops a la nantaise with braised celery and bacon, and Kristian had the Escargots de Bourgogne. Unfortunately the scallop sauce was a little burnt, and Kristian was disappointed that his snails weren't served in their shells.

For main course, Gerri had the Fillet of seabass with a fumet of braised gem lettuce, basil and tomato which she loved. Alex, Kristian and myself all had the Roast Duck with red cabbage - it was really delicious!

Desserts were yummy too. Kristian and I had the Crème Brulee - it was tasty, but too rich for me to finish. Alex had the evil Chocolate & Prune Mousse.

The service was efficient and friendly and there was just a lovely (non-smoking) atmosphere. We all really enjoyed the evening.

Gourmet Burger Kitchen: Gourmet Burger Kitchen - best burgers in London

look at those burgers!

Gourmet Burger Kitchen is a chain of fancy burger restaurants that originated in New Zealand. They have a branch in Richmond, located close to Richmond Bridge.

The restaurants are modern and clean and the staff are usually very friendly and efficient. When you arrive you will be seated and given a menu. Once you have decided what to eat you will need to go up to the counter to order and pay. Your meal will then be bought over to you when ready - and it is guaranteed to look and taste delicious.

Favorite Dish: We have eaten at Gourmet Burger Kitchen numerous times, mainly at lunch on the weekend, and have never been disappointed with the food.

Alex normally has the Satay Burger, which has 100% Aberdeen-Angus Scotch beef, spicy satay sauce, salad & relish. I am a bit of a fussy eater and like to 'create' my own burger, often having one with 100% Aberdeen-Angus Scotch beef, sweet potato, streaky bacon, aged cheddar & salad.

But even better are the GBK Fries - they are well worth it, but you will only need one serve between two - the burgers are so big that there are only so many fries you can fit in!

Chez Lindsay: Chez Lindsay - Brittany cuisine in Richmond

by sue_stone Written Dec 13, 2006

Nik with his seafood platter

We met up with some friends one night and they took us to Chez Lindsay, one of their favourite French restaurants, located in Richmond, close to the Richmond Bridge.

It is a small "local" style restaurant, and the food was excellent, along with the service. They specialise in French cooking from the Brittany region - with a focus on seafood and galettes (buckwheat pancakes).

Favorite Dish: We started with a couple of different galettes to share - incredibly delicate and delicious. We also helped our dining companion eat his seafood platter (as pictured).

For mains I had the lamb shank and others had duck and rabbit dishes. Desserts sounded so delicious that we managed to force down a creme brulee, a chocolate pudding concoction and a banana parfait or the like.

It was a really enjoyable meal - we will be returning one day soon.

The Marlborough: The Marlborough - Gastro Pub on Richmond Hill

by sue_stone Updated Dec 27, 2006

Beer garden

The Marlborough is a friendly Gastro Pub located a little off the beaten path on Richmond Hill. It has a welcoming bar area with some tables and comfy leather sofas to relax in with a drink. There is also a heated conservatory at the rear, with plenty of space for dining.

Best of all, The Marlborough is home to the largest beer garden in the area - it has a garden at the rear of the pub with plenty of big tables - perfect for those Sunday lunches with the kids - there is even a small playground at the end of the garden.

Favorite Dish: The food menu is not extensive, but there should be enough variety to keep everyone happy. So far I have only been for lunch, but am sure we will be back again soon as we now live very close by. For lunch, Alex and I both had the Sirloin Steak with vegetable skewers and wedges. I enjoyed the meal and found the wedges quite tasty, though Alex wasn't a fan.

This is not high class cuisine, just honest pub grub, best washed down with a pint or two.

***DEC 2006 - the pub has just been renovated - we went back for lunch and it was much better***

• Beer Tasting

Instant Answers: Richmond

Comments

Richmond Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Richmond restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Richmond sightseeing.