Wimbledon Restaurants

The Wandle River

Most Recent Restaurants in Wimbledon

• Piaf Brasserie and Bar: A little Gem

by Martin&Kasia Written Jul 27, 2011

Actually a Modern European vibe. Just been painted - major improvement. Thought it was new management but same team there - just done up. I like the food here. Mid range not pricey (although you can splash out!)
    Been a few times so food is generally good. They have cheaper menus if you are going out or having a quick lunch.

Favorite Dish: I saw a celebrity here and he said "Wow" when he saw the chicken and avocado burger. The burgers are big and there are good tender streaks here.
    They do some good comfort food like Boeff Bourgignon (with Mash)
    It is a nice atmosphere - you can chill out.

• Women's Travel

• Piaf Restaurant: Relaxing!

by Martin&Kasia Written May 10, 2011

Been to this restaurant a few times now. I think the food is very good and at mid-range prices. They also do some deals such as fast lunch and pre-theatre deals (menus)

The place is very like a parisian bistro, they do a range of mediterranean food (no pasta though). Good portions and very high quality ingredients - it's good-would recommend.

Favorite Dish: Good choices and not just the usual stuff.
    I like the light dishes, very good steak sandwich on Ciabatta.
    Mains are varied - v. good meat dishes, slow cooked and surprisingly good seafood.

• Luxury Travel

• Piaf On The Hill: A little gem on 'The Hill'

by JW11 Written May 9, 2011

We thought we'd try Le Piaf on Wimbledon Hill, as we'd heard some good things about it from friends.

As you go in, the first thing you'll find is that this restaurant a bit old, tired and a touch shabby around the edges - but the welcome was warm and friendly!

The food was a bargain and the quality exceptional for the price. We had an excellent (and big) rib-eye steak and some perfectly cooked calves liver & bacon as our main event, starters were some prawns and a yummy soup. My other half was persuaded into what she said was an excellent sticky toffee pudding.

The wines were ok and after commenting, we were promised that there was work in progress to bring in a new list for summer.

There's nothing hugely inventive about the menus - it's all familiar restaurant and brasserie dishes, however the cooking sets Le-Piaf apart - everything was made very well, at a price that makes it a feasible alternative to cooking at home, when you want a night off!

I'd recommend this place to everyone - a very pleasant surprise! We've already re-booked!

Favorite Dish: My favourite dish was the rib-eye steak - it came perfectly cooked and I had a great peppercorn sauce on the side to go with it.
    My partner raved about the grilled prawns and the sticky toffee pudding

• Business Travel

• Janani's Profile Photo

Watch Me: Sri Lankan Food

by Janani Updated Nov 1, 2009

Red Chillies

This is an Indian and Sri Lankan restaurant I was introduced to by friends who grew up in Sri Lanka and now live in England. They say the Sri Lankan dishes taste just how they remember in restaurants back home.

It’s quite a tiny place with just a few tables and the decor is fairly standard for an Indian restaurant in the UK.

It was nice to try some of the Sri Lankan dishes that my friends don't cook at home because they are time consuming or need particular equipment, but the restaurant has all the standard Indian dishes too.

It was a good place to go as a vegetarian with meat eating friends, as there was plenty of choice for everyone

I think the restaurant is called Watch Me because there is a glass screen between the dining area and the kitchen, but I've always been too absorbed by my food to take much notice.

It is quite popular with families having a welcoming attitude towards young children, although the restaurant doesn't have its own high chairs.

Favorite Dish: I like the eggless vegetable Kottu Roti (stir fried vegetables with shredded chapattis) or coconut milk topped hoppers (these are crumpets made in a round bottomed pan, so the edges become thin and crispy like a crepe) served with devilled potatoes: a fairly dry, slightly sweet dish with tomatoes, chillies and peppers.

• allelli's Profile Photo

Gourmet Burger Kitchen: Don't forget to try Chilli burger

by allelli Written Apr 8, 2008

As you enter you will notice a many range of gourmet burgers posted on the walls and listed on the menus, and it's hard to choose which you order.The price is reasonable, with a nice decor, and very friendly staff.THEY WIN AS ABEST BURGER HARDEN'S LONDON RESTAURANTS 2006

Favorite Dish: The fries are excellent and huge, and the milk shakes are really yummy.The food is Fresh quality produce and delicious.

• allelli's Profile Photo

Fifteen: Don"t forget pannacotta with soft rhubarb

by allelli Written Apr 8, 2008

Jamie Oliver a celebrity cheff created this restaurant as part of his TV series, Jamie's Kitchen, It is a great experience to eat this restaurant. To think that Jamie O is one of my idol regarding cooking.

Favorite Dish: We order oxtail stew, grilled rib-eye steak With butter sauce. My daughter order yellowfin tuna served with spicy caponata. And for the dessert we order pannacotta with soft rhubarb it is really yummy…

• Jenniflower's Profile Photo

The Terrace: An evening on the terrace anyone?

by Jenniflower Updated Mar 17, 2007

The Terrace

We hadnt been here for a while, and only when seated (how observant are we??? haha).. we noticed that the decor had changed, as had the waiters, as had the NAME :)

We were pleasantly surprised, the food was absolutely delicious, they have changed the decor a bit inside which opens the space up alot and it looks nicer, and service was good.

The only thing we didnt like was that even in the non smoking section, there is a strong smell of cigarette smoke filtering in from the smoking section, so we asked them to put the aircon/fan overhead on higher, which they did. And the smell dissapated.

You dont ask, you dont get ;)

Favorite Dish: I had a lasagne pasta which was lovely, my sister had a tasty ravioli, and the bowls were those large deep ones... it was SO filling! Very good value for money too at £6.95.

Our cousin - a little girl of 7 - had a kiddies pizza (Hawaaiin) and she loved it too! So all in all, a successful luncheon :)

Ma Potters: Ma Potters Bar & Restaurant

by Jenniflower Updated Jan 16, 2007

Jo eating her breakfast!

The blackboard specials are generally a good mix and reasonably priced.

The service is okay... albeit a little slow when busy. One has to wait at the door to be seated and this sometimes takes ages, so I always just walk in and sit down.

We have eaten here quite a few times and even had a birthday dinner for my sister here, with some friends.

I had gotten there early and good thing I had! They had gotten their wires crossed and sat us at another birthday dinners table, forgetting about hers altogether! So the other party arrived to no table, and we sat at a table for 6, when there were 9 people coming (something we did not know at the time!)!

After a quick call to my sister to get exact numbers, we rearranged everything, so by the time people arrived they were non the wiser as to the flurry that had occurred just before their arrival.

Favorite Dish: Their sesame crust salmon, fishermans pie pesto chicken and chocolate milkshakes are firm favourites! :)

I also like their salads. LOTS of green salad and proper lettuce, not rocket and other greens, as so many other restaurants provide.

Their breakfast is nice but alas, no tomato!!! It's well cooked though and not greasy.

Update Jan 2007:
    This restaurant has closed. Coal Bar and Grill is there now!

• Jenniflower's Profile Photo

The William Morris public house: A lovely pub by the Wandle!

by Jenniflower Updated Dec 26, 2006

Hubby by the Wandle :)

Now this is a little find! Right in the heart of Merton Abbey Mills, near Wimbledon.

One visits Merton Abbey Mills if you are looking to buy that 'something different', whether it be a fossil, a stained glass mirror or a beautiful handcrafetd frame.

We (enjoying crafts and arty things) have often strolled through here (our friend also has an estate agency here, so we pop in and visit him too when we come here).

This pub was recommended to us by him, and we enjoyed it very much.

It is alongside the Wandle River, which has recently been cleaned up a lot and is mroe pleasant to walk along. It isnt a wide river though, more of a canal if anything. Kids fish in it and people go for walks along it.

The pub has a lovely atmosphere, and I especially enjoyed the outside area, alongside the river.

Favorite Dish: Service is good here, we certainly had no complaints!

We had a tiny bite to eat, nibbled more, so I cannot comment on the food her persay, but the beer shandy was cold and tasty, and the experience was very pleasant.

They also dont rush you either, even if you are in a prime position, which was rather nice!

The Alexandra: The Alexandra

The Alexandra

This is an enormous pub. The pub caters for all, with a public bar, a large panelled smoke-free bar, another lounge bar, as well as Smart Alex, the wine bar.

Smart Alex is a lovely olive green colour, with black leather highbacked chairs, with dark wood tables.

Stylish and modern.

It is also non-smoking which is GREAT, but the smell of smoke does reach you from the other areas unfortunately.

There is an outdoor terraced area too, lovely for summer.

Favorite Dish: Food is average meal-wise, but is nothing to write home about. One leaves with a full belly, and one can have a lovely time here.

The Hand and Racquet: The Hand and Racquet

Hand & Racquet

Previously known as Hogheads, this pub has undergone a few management changes it seems.

Decor is good (there's a lovely sunlight in the one section, and leather lounge suites to lounge about on) and there is a non smoking section - yippee yay!

To find that in a pub is a joy. Couches were comfy, and ambiance was good.

Favorite Dish: We have watched a rugby game here, and it was thoroughly enjoyable.

The food we did have was nice (we only had handcut hot chips), beer good and service fine and polite.

• Jenniflower's Profile Photo

Prince of Wales Pub: Want to dine with the Prince of Wales?

Prince of Wales Pub

The decor is lovely - old world and quaint, if not a tad shabby though! It is past due a refurbishment in my opinion.

The service is good as far as pubs go, but it is a VERY smokey pub. Even smokers complain!

As a non-smoker I wouldnt go there again, it really puts one off their food!

Favorite Dish: They make lovely home made pies (I havent tasted one of them but a friend has). I had a beer shandy there and it was fine... hard to get a beer shandy wrong! ;)

• Janani's Profile Photo

Thai Tho: Good Quality Thai Food

by Janani Updated Jun 28, 2006

Coconut

The owner of this restaurant was a client of mine at my last job and whenever I met her, she would be on the phone checking that her restaurant was maintaining a high standard of food and service, so I wasn't surprised by the excellent quality I find whenever I have been to eat at any of them.

She started off her business in quite a small way but it certainly doesn't surprise me, given her dedication to providing excellent food and service that it took off and she now has at least five restaurants in the South West London area.

The food is always fresh, well cooked and delicious. The restaurants are decorated but not cluttered with beautiful wooden carvings from Thailand and the serving staff are always friendly and helpful. I have also noticed children eating here on several occasions and when visiting the restaurant with a friend and her children found they were made very welcome.

Favorite Dish: I love the vegetable tempura and the pak pad prik (vegetables stir fried with chilli and sweet basil), which goes beautifully alongside the coconut rice with crispy onions on top. It's such a good combination of flavours that, since I first ordered it, I have it every time I go there.

Footlights: Footlights

by Jenniflower Updated May 18, 2006

Footlights

You can enter this restaurant during the day from inside Centre Court, and later at night from outside, in the front (where the maroon blinds are in the photo).

The idea of the roof terrace on the outside of a mall looking out onto a busy High Street isnt exactly the best scenery-wise, but it's still nice to sit outside.

I have heard bad stories re this place (it becomes more of a bar/club at night, not so much a restaurant), where they have had fights etc. but to be honest - where alot of drink is involved, there will always be fighting and people behaving silly.

Favorite Dish: I have had a few dishes and have enjoyed them all. Nothing out of this world, but no bad experiences either. Their salads are lovely, as is their chicken and seafood. Their menu is quite varied.

Update, April 2006 - We went again and were pleasantly surprised, the food was absolutely delicious, they have changed the decor a bit which looks nicer, and service was good. We thennoticed they have changed their name! haha Hence the food tasting extra nice etc... It is now called The Terrace.

You dont ask, you dont get ;)

• jo104's Profile Photo

Ma Potters: Ma Potters - breakfast or brunch

by jo104 Updated May 11, 2006

Photo credit: Copyright 2006 Jenniflower

I met up with Jenniflower to have brunch at this restaurant.
    It has a reasonable sized no-smoking section as well as outside seating
    The breakfast I had was nice, not like what you get at a greasy spoon

They offer salads & various snadwiches, quiches, lunch options etc

It seems to be a fairly child friendly retaurant geared towards weary shoppers

Favorite Dish: I have only had the breakfast here so I guess that will be my favourite to date :-)

At present their website is advertising a special offer of 2 course lunch for GBP6.95

Instant Answers: Wimbledon

Comments

Wimbledon Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Wimbledon restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Wimbledon sightseeing.