Wimbledon Restaurants

Most Recent Restaurants in Wimbledon

• jo104's Profile Photo

Reds Bar & Grill: Reds Bar & Grill

by jo104 Updated May 11, 2006

Lance models their fantastic steak burger

On my last visit to Wimbledon I had lunch with Jenniflower, Lance (her hubby) & Jen's sister.
    Reds was an excellent choice for us meat loving South africans
    There was a huge choice of homemade burgers, also there was some special dishes like South African borewors.

Chips need to be ordered seperately but be warned the large size comes in a tin spiced with Cajun spices and are large enough to share. We enjoyed onion rings as well but there were not enough for my hungry tummy.

We looked at the wine list it was fairly expensive.

The restaurant has a light airy feel with a good size non-smoking section. The walls are adourned with interesting art works (thanks Jen for the photos)

Favorite Dish: Lance had a steak burger, Jen had avocodo on her burger, whilst I stuck to good ole bacon & cheese. The staff will ensure the burger is cooked to the way you request.

• Jenniflower's Profile Photo

Confucius: Culinary failure at Confucius!

by Jenniflower Written May 9, 2006

Confucius

We have noticed this restaurant before and decided to give it a try.

The decor is modern and tasteful, not sure why there is a wooden well in the front though. Service is very good, except for the one lady who came out and could obviously not speak a word of English. Not helpful when you are ordering drinks...

The place did not have that much ambiance to be honest, they played this funny music box music too, we felt flat there, and would not go again.

Favorite Dish: We had a starter of a spring roll each, and they brought some shoots and cucumber pieces for us too. This was very nice.

Lance had the crispy duck and I had chilli king prawns. We both ordered some noodles with bean sprouts.

My king prawns had no chilli AT ALL (and the menu said it was hot - 2 chilli signs next to it), they came in this very thick garlicy sauce that was quite gross actually (look at the photos). I managed to eat 4 I think and then could stomach no more. I usually love seafood, but the sauce put me off it totally. I filled up on the noodles.

Lance left quite a bit of the duck too. It was okay, nothing special. It was brought to him cold too. We left feeling unsated and hungry as we had left so much behind.

• Jenniflower's Profile Photo

Reds Bar & Grill: A real little find in Wimbledon!

by Jenniflower Updated Apr 29, 2006

Lances steak burger! YUM

We had never tried this restaurant before. In the heart of Wimbledon, on The Broadway, we decided to try it out before going to watch Ice Age 2!

The decor is easy going and relaxing... old pillows scattered around, red glowing candles on the tables, and funky paintings on the walls. Friendly staff who serve cold beer :) I didnt have my camera though so no nice piccies, will remember to take it next time, so using a stock photo for now!

The downside was that they misheard my order and brought me the wrong food, so by the time my proper meal came, hubby had finished his. We didnt let this spoil our evening though, it really is a lovely place, one we might make a regular.

Another downside is you have to walk through the bar/smoking area to get to the non smoking area at the back, which isnt ideal at all. Bring on the new no smoking laws!!!

Favorite Dish: Hubby and I both ordered burgers (he a steak one and me a lamb and mint one), onion rings and chips... the food was excellent! Succulent burgers, tons of salad, which we love, the onion rings were massive and crunchy, the chips had this tangy spice on them. The chipos come separate, in a tin tub.

On the menu they have a couple of other interesting dishes, namely... South African boerewors sausage! haha We eat this at home so didnt eat it here, but its great that a local restaurant caters for its customers, and there are MANY South Africans living in Wimbledon, so the demand is there alright!

Update: 29 April 2006! Just went there again with Lance, my sister and Jo104... had a blast... the meal was great, the correct one this time haha and it was generally just a swell time. Lovely music (albeit a tad loud), but funky and quirky, which I like :)

• Jenniflower's Profile Photo

Nandos: Nando's ExPERI-PERIence! :)

by Jenniflower Updated Apr 28, 2006

Wimbledon Nandos

Nandos is a South African chain of restaurants, with branches popping up all over in London. We frequent Wimbledon mostly as we live there! :)

'It being of a South African Portuguese origin, the food is tangy generally, and the mild option is the lemon and herb option.. the one I usually go for. If I feel like some hottening up I add one of their superb hot sauces (free) onto it. Their grades are EXTRA HOT, HOT, MEDIUM HOT and LEMON AND HERB'
    (This info is taken from my London tip)

Favorite Dish: Update 28 April 2006:

We went again last night - yummy!!!!! I had lemon and herb chicken, with a side of spicy rice and corn on the cob. Lance had a half chicken (medium hot), with sides of coleslaw and spicey rice.

Lovely service, generous portions (too generous???lol) and a succesful evening as usual.

More info re this restaurant and its ingenious marketing ethos is in my Nandos London tip.

• Janani's Profile Photo

Dalchini: Indian Style Chinese Food

by Janani Updated Feb 7, 2006

All at the table: main course

We visited this restaurant for a friend’s birthday celebrations. It serves food which, due to the owner being from India’s Chinese community, combines the flavours of both types of cuisine to produce some delicious dishes. The name used for this type of food is Hakka, which means guest and is how that community in India refer to themselves.

As we were a group, there was a good variety of dishes on the table and everyone was pleased with what we had, although I can’t say I tried everything myself, as I am vegetarian. The décor in the downstairs room was mostly smart and modern but it also had a cosy feel to it, especially as the place got busier later in the evening. The staff were excellent, managing somehow to translate the chaos of us all ordering and changing our minds into the right dishes for each person at the right time and, although they became very busy, as the restaurant filled up, we never felt they’d forgotten us.

Favorite Dish: I had the spring rolls, Buddha's Delight ( a mixed vegetable stir fried dish) and a dish of potatoes stir fried with okra, which was very tasty but what stands out was the steamed bread, which I had never tried before; it hasn’t much taste but has an interesting texture, which somehow made me want to go on and on eating it. I’d better hope my friend picks this place again next year!

• deeper_blue's Profile Photo

Tooting Indian Restaurants: Down the road

by deeper_blue Written Oct 25, 2005

About a mile away in Tooting SW17 (which currently doesn't have a page, shame on you VT)
    There are numerous Indian restaurants owing to the large ethnic population there.
    You can enjoy a wealth of Indian specialities here, and there are also Indian food markets here. Tooting's other claims to fame, are St George's hospital and Citizen Smith?!

The Cheese Stall at the French Market: French Cheese... Mmmmm

by Jenniflower Updated Jun 21, 2005

Yummmmy cheese!

They come early in the morning and set up for the weekend. The cheese stall is a popular stall at the French Market.

Favorite Dish: We are not huge cheese fundies, but like our Philly and some smoked Bavarian... when the market comes to town we like to try something different and there's a wide selection to choose from. I always smell it first... there are 'good and 'bad' smells where cheese is, as far as I am concerned! lol

• Women's Travel

• Jenniflower's Profile Photo

Braaiing at home :): South Africa in the midst of Wimbledon!

by Jenniflower Updated Jun 21, 2005

Braaiing Lance's sosaties

Okay, so this isnt exactly a legitimate restaurant tip, but it is a tip non-the-less, as where else can you go and have an authentic South African meal than at OUR home? lol

We make all kinds of food... potjiekos and braais being our favourite though! In the picture you can see sosaties and chicken on the braai (barbecue).

Favorite Dish: You might be wondering what sosaties are, and how do you make it? You get a thin stick and pierce pieces of meat (eg. lamb), peppers (green, red and yellow), dried fruit (prunes, apricots, apple) etc... Soak it in a home-brewed marinade... My hubby made these.. they were absolutely yummmmmmy! Mmmm

• kim_shell's Profile Photo

Red's: Good Meaty Burger

by kim_shell Updated Jun 18, 2003

The restaurant provides a relaxing atmosphere after a hard days work or travel and don't feel like cooking, but want to have something other than your average KFC, Macdonalds or Burger King Meal. Reds menu goes beyond burgers offering other grilled meats.

The front of the restaurant has a lounge area with a couple of couches where you can sit back and enjoy a liquid refreshment.

Very friendly staff too.

Favorite Dish: It has to be the Basilico Burger with Home Made Fries.

• kim_shell's Profile Photo

Alfornos Restaurant: Italian Food

by kim_shell Written Jun 18, 2003

The restaurant has a wonderful atmosphere and friendly staff contribute to this. If your looking for a decent pizza at a very good price then this is the place to go. A medium pizza will be more than your average large pizza supplied by other restaurants. Excellent choice of wines and deserts.

Favorite Dish: Medium Calzone - Just the size of it is impressive and the filling is excellent too.

Instant Answers: Wimbledon

Comments

Wimbledon Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Wimbledon restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Wimbledon sightseeing.