Wimbledon Restaurants

Best Rated Restaurants in Wimbledon

• jo104's Profile Photo

Reds Bar & Grill: Reds Bar & Grill

by jo104 Updated May 11, 2006

Lance models their fantastic steak burger

On my last visit to Wimbledon I had lunch with Jenniflower, Lance (her hubby) & Jen's sister.
    Reds was an excellent choice for us meat loving South africans
    There was a huge choice of homemade burgers, also there was some special dishes like South African borewors.

Chips need to be ordered seperately but be warned the large size comes in a tin spiced with Cajun spices and are large enough to share. We enjoyed onion rings as well but there were not enough for my hungry tummy.

We looked at the wine list it was fairly expensive.

The restaurant has a light airy feel with a good size non-smoking section. The walls are adourned with interesting art works (thanks Jen for the photos)

Favorite Dish: Lance had a steak burger, Jen had avocodo on her burger, whilst I stuck to good ole bacon & cheese. The staff will ensure the burger is cooked to the way you request.

• jo104's Profile Photo

Ma Potters: Ma Potters - breakfast or brunch

by jo104 Updated May 11, 2006

Photo credit: Copyright 2006 Jenniflower

I met up with Jenniflower to have brunch at this restaurant.
    It has a reasonable sized no-smoking section as well as outside seating
    The breakfast I had was nice, not like what you get at a greasy spoon

They offer salads & various snadwiches, quiches, lunch options etc

It seems to be a fairly child friendly retaurant geared towards weary shoppers

Favorite Dish: I have only had the breakfast here so I guess that will be my favourite to date :-)

At present their website is advertising a special offer of 2 course lunch for GBP6.95

• kim_shell's Profile Photo

Alfornos Restaurant: Italian Food

by kim_shell Written Jun 18, 2003

The restaurant has a wonderful atmosphere and friendly staff contribute to this. If your looking for a decent pizza at a very good price then this is the place to go. A medium pizza will be more than your average large pizza supplied by other restaurants. Excellent choice of wines and deserts.

Favorite Dish: Medium Calzone - Just the size of it is impressive and the filling is excellent too.

• kim_shell's Profile Photo

Red's: Good Meaty Burger

by kim_shell Updated Jun 18, 2003

The restaurant provides a relaxing atmosphere after a hard days work or travel and don't feel like cooking, but want to have something other than your average KFC, Macdonalds or Burger King Meal. Reds menu goes beyond burgers offering other grilled meats.

The front of the restaurant has a lounge area with a couple of couches where you can sit back and enjoy a liquid refreshment.

Very friendly staff too.

Favorite Dish: It has to be the Basilico Burger with Home Made Fries.

Dalchini: Indian Style Chinese Food

by Janani Updated Feb 7, 2006

All at the table: main course

We visited this restaurant for a friend’s birthday celebrations. It serves food which, due to the owner being from India’s Chinese community, combines the flavours of both types of cuisine to produce some delicious dishes. The name used for this type of food is Hakka, which means guest and is how that community in India refer to themselves.

As we were a group, there was a good variety of dishes on the table and everyone was pleased with what we had, although I can’t say I tried everything myself, as I am vegetarian. The décor in the downstairs room was mostly smart and modern but it also had a cosy feel to it, especially as the place got busier later in the evening. The staff were excellent, managing somehow to translate the chaos of us all ordering and changing our minds into the right dishes for each person at the right time and, although they became very busy, as the restaurant filled up, we never felt they’d forgotten us.

Favorite Dish: I had the spring rolls, Buddha's Delight ( a mixed vegetable stir fried dish) and a dish of potatoes stir fried with okra, which was very tasty but what stands out was the steamed bread, which I had never tried before; it hasn’t much taste but has an interesting texture, which somehow made me want to go on and on eating it. I’d better hope my friend picks this place again next year!

Watch Me: Sri Lankan Food

by Janani Updated Nov 1, 2009

Red Chillies

This is an Indian and Sri Lankan restaurant I was introduced to by friends who grew up in Sri Lanka and now live in England. They say the Sri Lankan dishes taste just how they remember in restaurants back home.

It’s quite a tiny place with just a few tables and the decor is fairly standard for an Indian restaurant in the UK.

It was nice to try some of the Sri Lankan dishes that my friends don't cook at home because they are time consuming or need particular equipment, but the restaurant has all the standard Indian dishes too.

It was a good place to go as a vegetarian with meat eating friends, as there was plenty of choice for everyone

I think the restaurant is called Watch Me because there is a glass screen between the dining area and the kitchen, but I've always been too absorbed by my food to take much notice.

It is quite popular with families having a welcoming attitude towards young children, although the restaurant doesn't have its own high chairs.

Favorite Dish: I like the eggless vegetable Kottu Roti (stir fried vegetables with shredded chapattis) or coconut milk topped hoppers (these are crumpets made in a round bottomed pan, so the edges become thin and crispy like a crepe) served with devilled potatoes: a fairly dry, slightly sweet dish with tomatoes, chillies and peppers.

Thai Tho: Good Quality Thai Food

by Janani Updated Jun 28, 2006

Coconut

The owner of this restaurant was a client of mine at my last job and whenever I met her, she would be on the phone checking that her restaurant was maintaining a high standard of food and service, so I wasn't surprised by the excellent quality I find whenever I have been to eat at any of them.

She started off her business in quite a small way but it certainly doesn't surprise me, given her dedication to providing excellent food and service that it took off and she now has at least five restaurants in the South West London area.

The food is always fresh, well cooked and delicious. The restaurants are decorated but not cluttered with beautiful wooden carvings from Thailand and the serving staff are always friendly and helpful. I have also noticed children eating here on several occasions and when visiting the restaurant with a friend and her children found they were made very welcome.

Favorite Dish: I love the vegetable tempura and the pak pad prik (vegetables stir fried with chilli and sweet basil), which goes beautifully alongside the coconut rice with crispy onions on top. It's such a good combination of flavours that, since I first ordered it, I have it every time I go there.

• Jenniflower's Profile Photo

Reds Bar & Grill: A real little find in Wimbledon!

by Jenniflower Updated Apr 29, 2006

Lances steak burger! YUM

We had never tried this restaurant before. In the heart of Wimbledon, on The Broadway, we decided to try it out before going to watch Ice Age 2!

The decor is easy going and relaxing... old pillows scattered around, red glowing candles on the tables, and funky paintings on the walls. Friendly staff who serve cold beer :) I didnt have my camera though so no nice piccies, will remember to take it next time, so using a stock photo for now!

The downside was that they misheard my order and brought me the wrong food, so by the time my proper meal came, hubby had finished his. We didnt let this spoil our evening though, it really is a lovely place, one we might make a regular.

Another downside is you have to walk through the bar/smoking area to get to the non smoking area at the back, which isnt ideal at all. Bring on the new no smoking laws!!!

Favorite Dish: Hubby and I both ordered burgers (he a steak one and me a lamb and mint one), onion rings and chips... the food was excellent! Succulent burgers, tons of salad, which we love, the onion rings were massive and crunchy, the chips had this tangy spice on them. The chipos come separate, in a tin tub.

On the menu they have a couple of other interesting dishes, namely... South African boerewors sausage! haha We eat this at home so didnt eat it here, but its great that a local restaurant caters for its customers, and there are MANY South Africans living in Wimbledon, so the demand is there alright!

Update: 29 April 2006! Just went there again with Lance, my sister and Jo104... had a blast... the meal was great, the correct one this time haha and it was generally just a swell time. Lovely music (albeit a tad loud), but funky and quirky, which I like :)

• Jenniflower's Profile Photo

The Terrace: An evening on the terrace anyone?

by Jenniflower Updated Mar 17, 2007

The Terrace

We hadnt been here for a while, and only when seated (how observant are we??? haha).. we noticed that the decor had changed, as had the waiters, as had the NAME :)

We were pleasantly surprised, the food was absolutely delicious, they have changed the decor a bit inside which opens the space up alot and it looks nicer, and service was good.

The only thing we didnt like was that even in the non smoking section, there is a strong smell of cigarette smoke filtering in from the smoking section, so we asked them to put the aircon/fan overhead on higher, which they did. And the smell dissapated.

You dont ask, you dont get ;)

Favorite Dish: I had a lasagne pasta which was lovely, my sister had a tasty ravioli, and the bowls were those large deep ones... it was SO filling! Very good value for money too at £6.95.

Our cousin - a little girl of 7 - had a kiddies pizza (Hawaaiin) and she loved it too! So all in all, a successful luncheon :)

Ma Potters: Ma Potters Bar & Restaurant

by Jenniflower Updated Jan 16, 2007

Jo eating her breakfast!

The blackboard specials are generally a good mix and reasonably priced.

The service is okay... albeit a little slow when busy. One has to wait at the door to be seated and this sometimes takes ages, so I always just walk in and sit down.

We have eaten here quite a few times and even had a birthday dinner for my sister here, with some friends.

I had gotten there early and good thing I had! They had gotten their wires crossed and sat us at another birthday dinners table, forgetting about hers altogether! So the other party arrived to no table, and we sat at a table for 6, when there were 9 people coming (something we did not know at the time!)!

After a quick call to my sister to get exact numbers, we rearranged everything, so by the time people arrived they were non the wiser as to the flurry that had occurred just before their arrival.

Favorite Dish: Their sesame crust salmon, fishermans pie pesto chicken and chocolate milkshakes are firm favourites! :)

I also like their salads. LOTS of green salad and proper lettuce, not rocket and other greens, as so many other restaurants provide.

Their breakfast is nice but alas, no tomato!!! It's well cooked though and not greasy.

Update Jan 2007:
    This restaurant has closed. Coal Bar and Grill is there now!

• Jenniflower's Profile Photo

Confucius: Culinary failure at Confucius!

by Jenniflower Written May 9, 2006

Confucius

We have noticed this restaurant before and decided to give it a try.

The decor is modern and tasteful, not sure why there is a wooden well in the front though. Service is very good, except for the one lady who came out and could obviously not speak a word of English. Not helpful when you are ordering drinks...

The place did not have that much ambiance to be honest, they played this funny music box music too, we felt flat there, and would not go again.

Favorite Dish: We had a starter of a spring roll each, and they brought some shoots and cucumber pieces for us too. This was very nice.

Lance had the crispy duck and I had chilli king prawns. We both ordered some noodles with bean sprouts.

My king prawns had no chilli AT ALL (and the menu said it was hot - 2 chilli signs next to it), they came in this very thick garlicy sauce that was quite gross actually (look at the photos). I managed to eat 4 I think and then could stomach no more. I usually love seafood, but the sauce put me off it totally. I filled up on the noodles.

Lance left quite a bit of the duck too. It was okay, nothing special. It was brought to him cold too. We left feeling unsated and hungry as we had left so much behind.

Footlights: Footlights

by Jenniflower Updated May 18, 2006

Footlights

You can enter this restaurant during the day from inside Centre Court, and later at night from outside, in the front (where the maroon blinds are in the photo).

The idea of the roof terrace on the outside of a mall looking out onto a busy High Street isnt exactly the best scenery-wise, but it's still nice to sit outside.

I have heard bad stories re this place (it becomes more of a bar/club at night, not so much a restaurant), where they have had fights etc. but to be honest - where alot of drink is involved, there will always be fighting and people behaving silly.

Favorite Dish: I have had a few dishes and have enjoyed them all. Nothing out of this world, but no bad experiences either. Their salads are lovely, as is their chicken and seafood. Their menu is quite varied.

Update, April 2006 - We went again and were pleasantly surprised, the food was absolutely delicious, they have changed the decor a bit which looks nicer, and service was good. We thennoticed they have changed their name! haha Hence the food tasting extra nice etc... It is now called The Terrace.

You dont ask, you dont get ;)

The Hand and Racquet: The Hand and Racquet

by Jenniflower Updated Nov 26, 2006

Hand & Racquet

Previously known as Hogheads, this pub has undergone a few management changes it seems.

Decor is good (there's a lovely sunlight in the one section, and leather lounge suites to lounge about on) and there is a non smoking section - yippee yay!

To find that in a pub is a joy. Couches were comfy, and ambiance was good.

Favorite Dish: We have watched a rugby game here, and it was thoroughly enjoyable.

The food we did have was nice (we only had handcut hot chips), beer good and service fine and polite.

• Jenniflower's Profile Photo

Braaiing at home :): South Africa in the midst of Wimbledon!

by Jenniflower Updated Jun 21, 2005

Braaiing Lance's sosaties

Okay, so this isnt exactly a legitimate restaurant tip, but it is a tip non-the-less, as where else can you go and have an authentic South African meal than at OUR home? lol

We make all kinds of food... potjiekos and braais being our favourite though! In the picture you can see sosaties and chicken on the braai (barbecue).

Favorite Dish: You might be wondering what sosaties are, and how do you make it? You get a thin stick and pierce pieces of meat (eg. lamb), peppers (green, red and yellow), dried fruit (prunes, apricots, apple) etc... Soak it in a home-brewed marinade... My hubby made these.. they were absolutely yummmmmmy! Mmmm

• Jenniflower's Profile Photo

The William Morris public house: A lovely pub by the Wandle!

by Jenniflower Updated Dec 26, 2006

Hubby by the Wandle :)

Now this is a little find! Right in the heart of Merton Abbey Mills, near Wimbledon.

One visits Merton Abbey Mills if you are looking to buy that 'something different', whether it be a fossil, a stained glass mirror or a beautiful handcrafetd frame.

We (enjoying crafts and arty things) have often strolled through here (our friend also has an estate agency here, so we pop in and visit him too when we come here).

This pub was recommended to us by him, and we enjoyed it very much.

It is alongside the Wandle River, which has recently been cleaned up a lot and is mroe pleasant to walk along. It isnt a wide river though, more of a canal if anything. Kids fish in it and people go for walks along it.

The pub has a lovely atmosphere, and I especially enjoyed the outside area, alongside the river.

Favorite Dish: Service is good here, we certainly had no complaints!

We had a tiny bite to eat, nibbled more, so I cannot comment on the food her persay, but the beer shandy was cold and tasty, and the experience was very pleasant.

They also dont rush you either, even if you are in a prime position, which was rather nice!

Instant Answers: Wimbledon

Comments

Wimbledon Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Wimbledon restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Wimbledon sightseeing.