Wimbledon Restaurants

Tasty Breakfast, Wimbledon, UK.
    by planxty
    Cafe du Parc, Wimbledon, UK.
    by planxty
    Cafe du Parc, Wimbledon, UK.

Best Rated Restaurants in Wimbledon

• Jenniflower's Profile Photo

Braaiing at home :): South Africa in the midst of Wimbledon!

by Jenniflower Updated Jun 21, 2005

Okay, so this isnt exactly a legitimate restaurant tip, but it is a tip non-the-less, as where else can you go and have an authentic South African meal than at OUR home? lol

We make all kinds of food... potjiekos and braais being our favourite though! In the picture you can see sosaties and chicken on the braai (barbecue).

Favorite Dish: You might be wondering what sosaties are, and how do you make it? You get a thin stick and pierce pieces of meat (eg. lamb), peppers (green, red and yellow), dried fruit (prunes, apricots, apple) etc... Soak it in a home-brewed marinade... My hubby made these.. they were absolutely yummmmmmy! Mmmm

Braaiing Lance's sosaties

• Jenniflower's Profile Photo

The William Morris public house: A lovely pub by the Wandle!

by Jenniflower Updated Dec 26, 2006

Now this is a little find! Right in the heart of Merton Abbey Mills, near Wimbledon.

One visits Merton Abbey Mills if you are looking to buy that 'something different', whether it be a fossil, a stained glass mirror or a beautiful handcrafetd frame.

We (enjoying crafts and arty things) have often strolled through here (our friend also has an estate agency here, so we pop in and visit him too when we come here).

This pub was recommended to us by him, and we enjoyed it very much.

It is alongside the Wandle River, which has recently been cleaned up a lot and is mroe pleasant to walk along. It isnt a wide river though, more of a canal if anything. Kids fish in it and people go for walks along it.

The pub has a lovely atmosphere, and I especially enjoyed the outside area, alongside the river.

Favorite Dish: Service is good here, we certainly had no complaints!

We had a tiny bite to eat, nibbled more, so I cannot comment on the food her persay, but the beer shandy was cold and tasty, and the experience was very pleasant.

They also dont rush you either, even if you are in a prime position, which was rather nice!

Hubby by the Wandle :) The outside area of the pub The Wandle River The path by the Wandle

• Jenniflower's Profile Photo

Nandos: Nando's ExPERI-PERIence! :)

by Jenniflower Updated Apr 28, 2006

Nandos is a South African chain of restaurants, with branches popping up all over in London. We frequent Wimbledon mostly as we live there! :)

'It being of a South African Portuguese origin, the food is tangy generally, and the mild option is the lemon and herb option.. the one I usually go for. If I feel like some hottening up I add one of their superb hot sauces (free) onto it. Their grades are EXTRA HOT, HOT, MEDIUM HOT and LEMON AND HERB'
    (This info is taken from my London tip)

Favorite Dish: Update 28 April 2006:

We went again last night - yummy!!!!! I had lemon and herb chicken, with a side of spicy rice and corn on the cob. Lance had a half chicken (medium hot), with sides of coleslaw and spicey rice.

Lovely service, generous portions (too generous???lol) and a succesful evening as usual.

More info re this restaurant and its ingenious marketing ethos is in my Nandos London tip.

Wimbledon Nandos Choices! Choices! You get your own table cock! The food tastes better than the photo looks, promi The interior

• Jenniflower's Profile Photo

Prince of Wales Pub: Want to dine with the Prince of Wales?

by Jenniflower Updated Nov 26, 2006

The decor is lovely - old world and quaint, if not a tad shabby though! It is past due a refurbishment in my opinion.

The service is good as far as pubs go, but it is a VERY smokey pub. Even smokers complain!

As a non-smoker I wouldnt go there again, it really puts one off their food!

Favorite Dish: They make lovely home made pies (I havent tasted one of them but a friend has). I had a beer shandy there and it was fine... hard to get a beer shandy wrong! ;)

Prince of Wales Pub

The Alexandra: The Alexandra

by Jenniflower Updated Nov 26, 2006

This is an enormous pub. The pub caters for all, with a public bar, a large panelled smoke-free bar, another lounge bar, as well as Smart Alex, the wine bar.

Smart Alex is a lovely olive green colour, with black leather highbacked chairs, with dark wood tables.

Stylish and modern.

It is also non-smoking which is GREAT, but the smell of smoke does reach you from the other areas unfortunately.

There is an outdoor terraced area too, lovely for summer.

Favorite Dish: Food is average meal-wise, but is nothing to write home about. One leaves with a full belly, and one can have a lovely time here.

The Alexandra

The Cheese Stall at the French Market: French Cheese... Mmmmm

by Jenniflower Updated Jun 21, 2005

They come early in the morning and set up for the weekend. The cheese stall is a popular stall at the French Market.

Favorite Dish: We are not huge cheese fundies, but like our Philly and some smoked Bavarian... when the market comes to town we like to try something different and there's a wide selection to choose from. I always smell it first... there are 'good and 'bad' smells where cheese is, as far as I am concerned! lol

Yummmmy cheese!
    • Women's Travel
    • Wine Tasting

• Piaf On The Hill: A little gem on 'The Hill'

by JW11 Written May 9, 2011

We thought we'd try Le Piaf on Wimbledon Hill, as we'd heard some good things about it from friends.

As you go in, the first thing you'll find is that this restaurant a bit old, tired and a touch shabby around the edges - but the welcome was warm and friendly!

The food was a bargain and the quality exceptional for the price. We had an excellent (and big) rib-eye steak and some perfectly cooked calves liver & bacon as our main event, starters were some prawns and a yummy soup. My other half was persuaded into what she said was an excellent sticky toffee pudding.

The wines were ok and after commenting, we were promised that there was work in progress to bring in a new list for summer.

There's nothing hugely inventive about the menus - it's all familiar restaurant and brasserie dishes, however the cooking sets Le-Piaf apart - everything was made very well, at a price that makes it a feasible alternative to cooking at home, when you want a night off!

I'd recommend this place to everyone - a very pleasant surprise! We've already re-booked!

Favorite Dish: My favourite dish was the rib-eye steak - it came perfectly cooked and I had a great peppercorn sauce on the side to go with it.
    My partner raved about the grilled prawns and the sticky toffee pudding

• Business Travel

• Piaf Restaurant: Relaxing!

by Martin&Kasia Written May 10, 2011

Been to this restaurant a few times now. I think the food is very good and at mid-range prices. They also do some deals such as fast lunch and pre-theatre deals (menus)

The place is very like a parisian bistro, they do a range of mediterranean food (no pasta though). Good portions and very high quality ingredients - it's good-would recommend.

Favorite Dish: Good choices and not just the usual stuff.
    I like the light dishes, very good steak sandwich on Ciabatta.
    Mains are varied - v. good meat dishes, slow cooked and surprisingly good seafood.

• Luxury Travel

• Piaf Brasserie and Bar: A little Gem

by Martin&Kasia Written Jul 27, 2011

Actually a Modern European vibe. Just been painted - major improvement. Thought it was new management but same team there - just done up. I like the food here. Mid range not pricey (although you can splash out!)
    Been a few times so food is generally good. They have cheaper menus if you are going out or having a quick lunch.

Favorite Dish: I saw a celebrity here and he said "Wow" when he saw the chicken and avocado burger. The burgers are big and there are good tender streaks here.
    They do some good comfort food like Boeff Bourgignon (with Mash)
    It is a nice atmosphere - you can chill out.

• Women's Travel

• allelli's Profile Photo

Fifteen: Don"t forget pannacotta with soft rhubarb

by allelli Written Apr 8, 2008

Jamie Oliver a celebrity cheff created this restaurant as part of his TV series, Jamie's Kitchen, It is a great experience to eat this restaurant. To think that Jamie O is one of my idol regarding cooking.

Favorite Dish: We order oxtail stew, grilled rib-eye steak With butter sauce. My daughter order yellowfin tuna served with spicy caponata. And for the dessert we order pannacotta with soft rhubarb it is really yummy…

• allelli's Profile Photo

Gourmet Burger Kitchen: Don't forget to try Chilli burger

by allelli Written Apr 8, 2008

As you enter you will notice a many range of gourmet burgers posted on the walls and listed on the menus, and it's hard to choose which you order.The price is reasonable, with a nice decor, and very friendly staff.THEY WIN AS ABEST BURGER HARDEN'S LONDON RESTAURANTS 2006

Favorite Dish: The fries are excellent and huge, and the milk shakes are really yummy.The food is Fresh quality produce and delicious.

• deeper_blue's Profile Photo

Tooting Indian Restaurants: Down the road

by deeper_blue Written Oct 25, 2005

About a mile away in Tooting SW17 (which currently doesn't have a page, shame on you VT)
    There are numerous Indian restaurants owing to the large ethnic population there.
    You can enjoy a wealth of Indian specialities here, and there are also Indian food markets here. Tooting's other claims to fame, are St George's hospital and Citizen Smith?!

Instant Answers: Wimbledon

Comments

Wimbledon Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Wimbledon restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Wimbledon sightseeing.