Places to eat in Manchester

Carluccio's on the first floor
    by Balam
    Costa Coffee. Market Street, Manchester
    by spidermiss
    Fish Stew
    by Balam

Most Viewed Restaurants in Manchester

Sedge Lynn: Deco pub in Chorlton

by tvor Written Apr 18, 2014

J.D. Weatherspoons is a chain of pubs in the U.K. they often renovate old listed buildings and turn them into pubs and usually do a really nice job of it. There's a pub in Chorlton in the Manchester area called Sedge Lynn that used to be a pool hall and it's got lovely art deco styling inside and out including MacIntosh style stained glass on the windows and a high curved ceiling. The menu is the usual Weatherspoons menu but you always know what you get with them. And even then, the food can vary from pub to pub depending on the cook. Sedge Lynn does the food well and they have a decent selection of beer and ciders too.

There's a ramp for easy mobility access and the toilets are on the level as well. Thursday is curry night and they have specials that come with a drink or two meals for a cheap price.

Favorite Dish: I had a steak with breaded scampi and chips which was tasty. One of our party had a rack of barbeque ribs and another had the mixed grill (various types of meats). The pear cider I drank was lovely!

ChaoBaby: Thai Buffet in the Trafford Centre

by tvor Written Apr 18, 2014

Restaurants in malls are not always anything to write home about but in the posh Trafford Centre in Manchester, there are quite a few decent ones. We tried a Thai buffet restaurant before the movies and were really pleased. It's called ChaoBaby. All they do is buffet but it's a very reasonable price and is all you can eat. The buffet isn't huge but there are a decent selection of appetizers, soup and salad, noodles and main courses with a small dessert bar as well. The food is displayed on tables surrounding the kitchen and seems very fresh. It was a good choice for a quick meal before the movies or while you're out shopping.

It's on the second level of the mall around the huge food court, and not far from where you go in for the cinemas. Price is 12.95 GPB all day but on Friday and Saturday nights and bank holidays all day they charge 15.95 (cheaper for children,)

Favorite Dish: We had a few appetizers and a bowl of yummy soup each though you have to let the server arrange the soup because they add extra things and steam it first before adding the broth and meat mixture to it. There was a green curry and a red curry as well as pad thai with several kinds of noodles and rice for main dishes.

Coriander: Indian excellence in Chorlton

by tvor Written Apr 18, 2014

Coriander serves up Indian/Bengali food that is traditional yet unlike many Curry restaurants, they prepare their spices and ingredients fresh and from scratch and they aim to make their food a healthier alternative, using less fat, MSG and other less desirable ingredients. You can tell the difference but it's all good. In fact, it's excellent. Their prices are reasonable and the service is pretty good though can be a tad on the slow side. The wait was worth it.

The menu has lots of items to choose from including vegetarian and vegan options. The Chorlton central location we went to has level access entry and toilets.

There are three branches of Coriander, two in Chorlton and one in Withington. We went to the newest Chorlton location near the Chorlton bus terminal so it's easy to get to from the city center even without a vehicle. They'll also do takeaway.

Favorite Dish: Our group had various items, I had the more traditional biriyani (lamb), and another of us had the chicken biriyani. Everything any of us ordered was really tasty.

• oriettaIT's Profile Photo

The Waterhouse: Best breakfast of the visit

by oriettaIT Written Mar 7, 2014

After having been unsatisfied by the Premierr Inn breakfast, the next day we decided to try something different and we stopped at the Waterhouse.
    It is a very welcoming place with fireplace and art in every room and a warm atmosphere.
    It is open Monday to Sunday 8am to 11pm and it serve breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Favorite Dish: We both ordered a traditional breakfast that include fried egg, bacon, sausage, baked beans
    .hash browns, tomato and toasted bread plus a bagel with cream cheese and coffee.
    Everything was very good and served right out of the stove, very hot.
    The bill was about 10£

• oriettaIT's Profile Photo

The Lost Dene: Great pub for a easy meal

by oriettaIT Written Mar 6, 2014

Near the John Rylands Library this pub attracted us for a quick lunch.
    They have a nice selection of food, either sandwich or warm dishes and of course great beer or cider.
    their menu offer some combined choices that will be very easy on the wallet.
    There are television usually transmitting sport event. Some table are in the back where it is a bit quieter.

Favorite Dish: We decided to order from the budget menu, I ordered chicken tikka masale and my partner a meat pie with gravy, mashed potatoes and peas with a side of onion ring. Portion were big and the food was good and tasty.
    We drunk a Guinness and apple cider the bill was just 16£

• Balam's Profile Photo

Jamies Italian: Jamie's Manchester

by Balam Written Feb 18, 2014

The first Jamie’s Italian opened on George Street in Oxford in 2008 when after touring Italy in jamies Italian Escape and declaring that he “should have been Italian”, the now-famous Jamie Oliver decided he wanted to share everything that he had learnt about Italian food and eating with the rest of the world and so with his old friend and trusted mentor Gennaro Contaldo (of Two Greedy Italians fame) He opened a restaurant to reflect the passionate, humble and great sociable attitude of Italians towards food.

More Restaurants soon followed and in The February of 2012 the former Midland Bank building on King St Manchester opened, transformed into a beautiful restaurant that’s well worth a visit even if just to call in the shop or for a drink just to see the huge windows and pillars. You can even dine privately in what was the bank’s secure vault.

OPENING TIMES

• Singles

• Pomocub's Profile Photo

Patisserie Valerie: Posh bakery / coffee shop

by Pomocub Written Feb 13, 2014

Patisserie Valerie is a bakery/ coffee shop located on Deansgate, Manchester. There are a few of these in Manchester now, the other one is located in Manchester Fort which is a small shopping complex at the bottom of Cheetham Hill Road.

The cafe's are very pretty but the cakes are a bit pricey. When I went there I had a ham and cheese toasted croissant and a chocolate mousse cake and an Iced Tea. When I ordered the Iced Tea I was a little disappointed to be given a bottle of Liptop Iced Tea, I assumed it was going to be made up. For two people it came to about £20 which a little more expensive than average.

• Women's Travel

• alancollins's Profile Photo

Castle in the Air: Surprisingly good meal

by alancollins Written Feb 10, 2014

We tried out the Castle in the Air for an evening meal. We settled for a steak each and a free drink was included. Though it was only a basic meal we were not disappointed and it was tasty and well cooked. We both thought it was better than some other places we have been to recently and paid a lot more for the food. If we lived in the area this establishment would certainly be on the top of the list of places to eat.

• suvanki's Profile Photo

Red Hot World Buffet and bar: All You Can Eat from Around The World!

by suvanki Written Nov 23, 2013

Gareth had booked this restaurant for our groups Friday evening meal. With around 20 people, who have different tastes (and appetites) this was a good choice, especially with it being a set price (£14.99 for Friday Evening - November 2013) - check website for other prices

Previously, we've eaten at Chinese 'All You Can Eat' Buffets. Red Hot Buffet offers cuisine from China as well as Japan, India, Thailand, Italy, England and Mexico.

Well this was certainly a popular place! It is a large, quite stylish venue - at least two floors, and as far as I could see it was nearly full. I'm not a huge fan of these buffet places usually, but I enjoy the company at our VT meets! This place is ideal for groups, although the long tables mean that you can't chat to those more than a few seats away. We entered the restaurant by a flight of stairs. I'm not sure if there is alternative access for wheelchair users or those with mobility/respiratory problems.
    Children under 10 eat for half price. I was quite amused to see the children at the next table completely absorbed with their smart phones/ tablets.

Our waitress explained that we had to use the upstairs bar to order our drinks. Then that we could go to the buffet as many times as we wanted. After each course you left your empty plate on the table and this was quickly removed. Apparently the time limit is 1.30 hours to 'Eat as much as you want'. The bar had a selection of wines, beers and spirits and served cocktails as well as soft drinks.

So....... The Buffet Hall is quite large, with numerous displays of hot and cold delicacies. Most are labelled. Stations are arranged in the various cuisines, with chefs cooking some dishes to order. At the far end are desserts, which include a chocolate fountain, ice creams, cakes and hot puddings such as apple crumble.

I picked a plate and selected a few starters - some of these were quite creative! I also had a wander round to see what else was available, ready for Round 2!
    All of the food was quite tasty, the hot food was hot and the cold dishes appropriately chilled.

The staff were on hand to replenish empty pots - I was pleased to see that they removed these, before returning with a new full pot. I've seen where some places, where they just top up the half empty containers with fresh food - Yeukk!

I selected a few Indian dishes for my main meal - and added a few other pieces from the Oriental selection. I realised when I was getting full, that I'd missed the crispy duck pancakes :-(

I managed to squeeze in a selection of light desserts - avoiding the lurid blue ice cream!
    Although the buffet was busy, you didn't have to jostle to get to the food.

Would I eat here again? Yes, if in a group. I wouldn't feel comfortable eating here by myself, though I think I spotted some couples eating at small tables on the floor above us.

All in All, the food that I ate was tasty and of good quality and I enjoyed it far more than I anticipated.

• Pomocub's Profile Photo

Slattery's Patissier and Chocolatier: Slattery's Chocolate

by Pomocub Updated Nov 18, 2013

Slattery's is a famous cake and chocolate shop in Manchester which specialises in hand making birthday & wedding cakes to order.Technically Slattery's is located in Bury but it is not difficult to get there by bus so I thought it would be nice to add this review to the Manchester page, I guess it is off the beaten path and not a lot of people who visit Manchester would think about going here. English celebrities often get their celebratory cakes made by Slattery. Downstairs is a chocolate store where you can buy a variety of different kinds of chocolates, truffles and sweet goods. Upstairs is Slattery's restaurant where you can eat.

The only problem with the restaurant area is that because it is not a large area, it can get quite noisy. Lunch time and weekends do tend to get quite busy. If the restaurant is full when you arrive you are given a key fod which will vibrate and flash when your table is ready, so I would recommend that you go to the restaurant first and see if you have a table and if there isn't one ready you can browse the shop downstairs until your table becomes free.

Opening times
    Monday to Friday: 9.00 - 5:30
    (Breakfast goods served till 11:30am
    last orders in coffee shop 4.00pm)
    Saturday: 9.00 - 4:30
    (last orders in coffee shop 3.00pm)
    Sunday: Closed

Favorite Dish: My favourite thing from the Slattery menu is the "Slattery's world famous hot chocolate". You get a clear glass that has been lined with chocolate and sugar, filled with hot foamed milk with a slattery's chocolate coin on top. You mix in all the chocolate and it tastes like heaven on a spoon! It is quite expensive at £4.00 for glass but it does taste delicious.

They also a variety of cakes, tarts, Sundaes and for those who prefer savoury, they serve salads, sandwiches and lasagne.

• suvanki's Profile Photo

Buffet City: All you can eat for just over a tenner!

by suvanki Updated Nov 9, 2013

This has been a popular place for VT meets, as Gillybob has booked this place for Friday nights, before her Annual Manchester Christmas Markets VT meet, or when VTers are in town, such as tini58de. There are some good bars/ heritage pubs nearby for after (or before) your meal
    Buffet City has branches in Manchester and Chester - Chinese and Oriental dishes.

So, we arrived here at around 1900 hrs, and were shown to our table in a room off the main hall. This place was quite busy with works parties, families, couples etc.

Drinks orders were taken (not cheap, but probably to compensate for the cheap food) Gilly and I shared a bottle of wine (£13.90).

Then we had free rein of the buffet tables. There are over 60 starters/ mains/desserts to chose from - you can eat as little or as much as you want-return to stock up your plate whenever you want to.

I missed out on the soup, and went for starters of pork ribs, crispy seaweed (deep fried cabbage) and parcels of meat and seafood with satay sauce dip. My next venture was for crispy duck pancakes with spring onions/cucumber and hoisin sauce.

Then it was onto mains, when I probably over faced myself with my selection- I had an adequate portion, then discovered the Thai selection, which tipped me over the top. (Check the website below for menu choices)

There was a debate on the table as to the best way to tackle the courses- Evans was to eat as much as you could quickly, before your body realised how much you'd eaten. Gilly's was to wait a while, then try again. My plan turned out to be between these two.

I still managed to squeeze in a dessert of coconut flavoured algar jelly on Gilly's recommendation!

Apparently you are entitled to 1.30 hours of seating and eating! I think we went over this time limit. At one point we had eaten plenty and were taking a breather, and we were waiting for Ricky and Sheila to arrive.

It was quite hot, but the air con/fans were turned up high. Before long it was getting a bit chilly, and we were reaching for our jackets/jumpers etc.

A waitress had appeared at the entrance to our room. Ricky and Sheila arrived, and.... the fans were turned off. Think the cold air is a way of moving people out! So bring layers!

Open 7 Days a Week for lunch and dinner Buffets

Mon - Thurs 11.30 - 18.00 (£5.50) and 18.00 - 22.30 (£8.90)
    Fri-Sat 11.30 - 18.00 (£5.50) and 18.00 - 23.30 (£9.90)
    Sunday - 11.30 - 22.30 (£6.80)
    Lunch customers must leave before 18.30
    Students and over 60's (10% discount (food only) with ID).
    Under 2's eat free.
    Under 8's and less than 132cm eat 1/2 price (food only)
    Cheques NOT Accepted. There is a Nat West a few metres away with an ATM.

I'm not usually a fan of these 'Eat as much as you can for cheap' but I enjoyed this evening-Think it was more to do with the company!! The food was good though!

UPDATE..... I ate here again recently-another VT meet! It cost £11 for the buffet this time.
    The place was full, and quite noisy-we were in the main room this time, within easy reach of the buffet!

Favorite Dish: My favourite dishes are the starters, and the crispy duck pancakes (which I could eat all night)!!
    Again, I had to finish with the coconut algae jelly.

Missoula: Cheap food and drink - Piccadilly Gardens

by suvanki Updated Nov 9, 2013

This was the venue for our VT meet to welcome MalenaN to Manchester, chosen for its location and reasonable prices.

This branch of Missoula, was previously known as Edwards. Another branch can be found in Deansgate.
    There are Missoulas scattered around England, plus one in Cardiff and Glasgow (I later realised that I'd eaten at the one in Glasgow the previous year)

Easily spotted, with its double fronted plate glass windows and colourful entrance.

On 2 levels (with disabled access) and a rooftop terrace, with seating and patio heaters.

Contemporary fittings and furnishings, with glass, chrome and reclaimed wood, subdued lighting.

Both floors offer a mix of seating areas - tables with high stools or low tables and comfy chairs, sofas etc.

Well stocked bar on the ground floor, where you also order your food.
    Open for breakfast, then last order for food is 22.00hrs.
    Unobtrusive background music. Some nights there is live music, or DJ's though.

We decided to sit in the upper mezzanine floor, to spot others arriving. We later moved downstairs, as food was only served here when downstairs was full. (This was Monday night, so the clientele were mainly people dropping by after work, or meeting up with friends for a drink)

There are some good Special Offers on the menu - Monday night was Buy a Main meal, get one free! Also, order a Pizza after 17.00 hrs and get a free drink. See the website for other offers/menu etc.

We voted to go with the BOGOF! As there were 7 of us, we decided to split the bill equally, but when we placed our order, the barman pointed out that we were entitled to another free meal!
    Note your table number before ordering.

All in All, a good place for our group to meet up for a few drinks, a meal and a chat.

If you look out for the daily special offers, you can eat very cheaply, so good for anyone on a budget.

Opening hours:

Mon - Thurs 10am - Midnight
    Fri 10am - 1am
    Sat 8am - 1am
    Sun 8am - 12am

Favorite Dish: Myself and Alyson chose gammon (7oz) with fried egg (an alternative was pineapple) and 'shoestring fries' - (French fries)! (for an extra 50p you could have curly fries instead) (£5.95)
    Three chose 'BBQ Smothered Chicken' -"Chicken breast topped with melted Swiss Cheese, sweet cured streaky bacon and BBQ sauce - served with shoestring fries and peas" (£6.25) 2 opted for Chicken Burritos, but these were 'off the menu' so they opted for lasagne, served with garlic herb bread and dressed salad (£5.50)
    We chose macaroni cheese, served with garlic herb bread and lettice with dressing as our 'extra free meal' to share as a side dish.

When divided between us, this came to the grand price of £3.50 each!!

I enjoyed my meal, although my gammon was a bit dry, so I was glad of the macaroni cheese to 'liven it up' a bit.

Christmas Markets-Mulled Wine

by suvanki Updated Nov 9, 2013

The smell and taste of Mulled Wine (Gluewein) is one of my favourite Manchester Christmas Markets experiences.
    It warms you up, and has a feel good factor!
    Here at the Manchester Christmas markets, you are served your hot mulled wine in a mug. For this you pay a £2 deposit, so you can keep your mug as a souvenir, or hand it back and re-claim your £2.
    If you keep your mug, you can get it re-filled at any of the stalls serving mulled wine throughout the days/ nights of November/ December that the Christmas Markets are open.

Since 2008, I've tried many variations of mulled wine, sometimes with fruit flavourings- cherry or raspberry or with added rum.

I've also amassed a collection of 'Manchester Christmas Markets mugs' - as the design changes each year now, they make a useful souvenir.

The Old Wellington - The Shambles: Good English Grub in Historic pub

by suvanki Updated Nov 9, 2013

After 3 years of trying. Gillybob secured us tables in this historic restaurant for our 2009 VT Manchester Christmas Markets meet .

The building known as the Wellington Inn has existed since 1552 , Though at that time it was situated in the Market Place and Shambles. It is now the oldest building in Manchester.

About 17 of us met up outside the pub at 1600hrs, after a day strolling around the Christmas Markets.
    We were directed to the upper floor (Byron's Attic), where tables were reserved for us. We had to duck under low beams to enter the room-Hey, I'm a shortie, and even I had to duck under! I sat at a table for 2 with leics- it was a bit of a tight squeeze.

We had to place our food orders at the bar on the floor below. There was quite a fair sized queue with us VTers and other customers. It gave me a chance to decide which of the draught guest Real Ales I wanted (pic 2) I went for the Cornish Doom-Bar- which I enjoyed with my choice of Sausages and Mashed potato with gravy.

The Wellington is famed for its pies-I nearly opted for the Game Pie, which Gareth recommended, but decided to go with the snorkers and Mash. I enjoyed my 3 sausages and fluffy mashed (creamed) potatoes, but would have preferred then to have been grilled/baked/fried so they had a sticky/caramelized outer from a slow cooking - this is just a small criticism, because I still enjoyed them.

The food arrived after a decent interval, it was hot and well presented.
    While we were waiting for our food, photos were taken and post cards signed in VT Meet tradition.
    UPDATE - November 2011, This was our venue again for our Christmas Market Meet. Since my last visit, this is now part of the Nicholsons pub chain Noted for their traditional pubs with character, plus good quality food, wide selection of beers and 'Good Hospitality'
    This time, we were seated at a couple of long tables. Our waitress was excellent - Rather than have the nightmare of sorting out the bill at the end of the meal, she organised for us to have separate bills - each of us being assigned a number for this purpose. She then took our drinks order - this was far easier for us (and other customers) than if we'd all trailed down to the small bar on the floor below. Our food was nicely presented - I was very pleased with mine.
    Yes, we ate here again in 2012!!

I'd certainly recommend eating here, although it can be very busy in the bars and beer garden,especially during the Christmas Markets. Also, the dining room is up 2 flights of stairs, so may be difficult for those with mobility/breathing problems.
    For diners -the ladies toilets (2 cubicles) are on the 2nd floor (Gents are on the 3rd floor - Dining room )

Favorite Dish: I was going to go for one of the pies, but opted for their smoked hadock rarebit. I was really pleased with this - piping hot moist fish on a bed of potatoes, peas and asparagus with a lemon sauce - Mmmmmmm! Washed down with a pint of Thwaites Wainwright draught bitter.
    Total bill £12.80

Manchester European Christmas Markets: More food stalls

by suvanki Updated Nov 9, 2013

Wandering around the European Christmas Market, after enjoying a warming cup of mulled wine and a bratwurst sandwich, I enjoyed the smells from the other food stalls.

One of the popular stalls was a hog roast - where hot roast pork is served with stuffing and apple sauce (help yourself from the nearby dispenser) sandwiched between a soft bread roll.Try to get a piece of crackling for added yumminess!

Another stall, which I think was French sold a traditional hot dish of bacon mushrooms, potatoes, garlic and onions in cream, another pot held potatoes in a sauce.

For those with a sweet tooth- Gingerbread, pastries, chocolate, marzipan etc. were in abundance!

As well as mulled wine, mulled cider, and mulled fruit (non alcoholic), hot chocolate laced with a nip of rum or a variety of European lagers and cold beer was available. The beer garden is open 'til 2100hours.

I'd meant to buy some of the plump olives that I'd spotted earlier, but got side-tracked.

Favorite Dish: I especially enjoy the Hog Roast, bratwursts and the French dishes.
    I'm hoping to try the Manchester Egg this year.

The food is all of a good quality, priced around £4/£5 per portion.

• Wine Tasting

Velvet
Stay Inn Manchester
Travelodge Manchester Central

Instant Answers: Manchester

Comments

Manchester Restaurants

Balam's Profile Photo

Whatever you want to eat you will find it in Manchester, From Chinese street food to Michelin starred it's all here!

You can see what are supposed to be some of the best here

Map of Manchester