Places to eat in Manchester

Carluccio's on the first floor
    by Balam
    Costa Coffee. Market Street, Manchester
    by spidermiss
    Fish Stew
    by Balam

Most Viewed Restaurants in Manchester

The Old Wellington - The Shambles: Good English Grub in Historic pub

by suvanki Updated Nov 9, 2013

After 3 years of trying. Gillybob secured us tables in this historic restaurant for our 2009 VT Manchester Christmas Markets meet .

The building known as the Wellington Inn has existed since 1552 , Though at that time it was situated in the Market Place and Shambles. It is now the oldest building in Manchester.

About 17 of us met up outside the pub at 1600hrs, after a day strolling around the Christmas Markets.
    We were directed to the upper floor (Byron's Attic), where tables were reserved for us. We had to duck under low beams to enter the room-Hey, I'm a shortie, and even I had to duck under! I sat at a table for 2 with leics- it was a bit of a tight squeeze.

We had to place our food orders at the bar on the floor below. There was quite a fair sized queue with us VTers and other customers. It gave me a chance to decide which of the draught guest Real Ales I wanted (pic 2) I went for the Cornish Doom-Bar- which I enjoyed with my choice of Sausages and Mashed potato with gravy.

The Wellington is famed for its pies-I nearly opted for the Game Pie, which Gareth recommended, but decided to go with the snorkers and Mash. I enjoyed my 3 sausages and fluffy mashed (creamed) potatoes, but would have preferred then to have been grilled/baked/fried so they had a sticky/caramelized outer from a slow cooking - this is just a small criticism, because I still enjoyed them.

The food arrived after a decent interval, it was hot and well presented.
    While we were waiting for our food, photos were taken and post cards signed in VT Meet tradition.
    UPDATE - November 2011, This was our venue again for our Christmas Market Meet. Since my last visit, this is now part of the Nicholsons pub chain Noted for their traditional pubs with character, plus good quality food, wide selection of beers and 'Good Hospitality'
    This time, we were seated at a couple of long tables. Our waitress was excellent - Rather than have the nightmare of sorting out the bill at the end of the meal, she organised for us to have separate bills - each of us being assigned a number for this purpose. She then took our drinks order - this was far easier for us (and other customers) than if we'd all trailed down to the small bar on the floor below. Our food was nicely presented - I was very pleased with mine.
    Yes, we ate here again in 2012!!

I'd certainly recommend eating here, although it can be very busy in the bars and beer garden,especially during the Christmas Markets. Also, the dining room is up 2 flights of stairs, so may be difficult for those with mobility/breathing problems.
    For diners -the ladies toilets (2 cubicles) are on the 2nd floor (Gents are on the 3rd floor - Dining room )

Favorite Dish: I was going to go for one of the pies, but opted for their smoked hadock rarebit. I was really pleased with this - piping hot moist fish on a bed of potatoes, peas and asparagus with a lemon sauce - Mmmmmmm! Washed down with a pint of Thwaites Wainwright draught bitter.
    Total bill £12.80

The Wellington & Sinclairs Oyster Bar The Shambles Real Ale on Draught My Smoked Hadock Rarebit VT meet - Upper Dining Room Dining room and painting of Wellington

Manchester European Christmas Markets: More food stalls

by suvanki Updated Nov 9, 2013

Wandering around the European Christmas Market, after enjoying a warming cup of mulled wine and a bratwurst sandwich, I enjoyed the smells from the other food stalls.

One of the popular stalls was a hog roast - where hot roast pork is served with stuffing and apple sauce (help yourself from the nearby dispenser) sandwiched between a soft bread roll.Try to get a piece of crackling for added yumminess!

Another stall, which I think was French sold a traditional hot dish of bacon mushrooms, potatoes, garlic and onions in cream, another pot held potatoes in a sauce.

For those with a sweet tooth- Gingerbread, pastries, chocolate, marzipan etc. were in abundance!

As well as mulled wine, mulled cider, and mulled fruit (non alcoholic), hot chocolate laced with a nip of rum or a variety of European lagers and cold beer was available. The beer garden is open 'til 2100hours.

I'd meant to buy some of the plump olives that I'd spotted earlier, but got side-tracked.

Favorite Dish: I especially enjoy the Hog Roast, bratwursts and the French dishes.
    I'm hoping to try the Manchester Egg this year.

The food is all of a good quality, priced around £4/£5 per portion.

Hog Roast Hog Roast More Mulled Wine
    • Wine Tasting

• suvanki's Profile Photo

Christmas Markets: Bratwursts and more!

by suvanki Updated Nov 9, 2013

I suppose that many come to the annual Manchester Christmas Markets to shop for gifts, but the attraction for me was to try the bratwursts and mulled wine.

The Manchester European Christmas Market is one of 9 sites around Manchester, that make up The Manchester Christmas Markets, and is open 10.00 - 2100hrs (15th Nov - 22nd December 2013)
    MAP & DIRECTIONS

Over the past few years, visiting European food markets has become a popular attraction in towns and cities in the UK. I love visiting the one in Sheffield - though I spend far more than I intend each time!

The Manchester Christmas market had a nice atmosphere- it wasn't too crowded at my first visit in 2009, so was quite easy to walk around. It was very cold though- so wrap up warmly! The stalls were attractively arranged in the traditional styled wooden chalets. Christmas music was being played by small groups sitting outside the Town Hall (I felt so sorry for them sitting in the cold)

Food from Germany, Austria, Spain, Holland and France were just a few of the stalls that I saw.

The aromas from the stalls were tormenting me, I had to try something! A mulled wine and a bratwurst roll were calling me!

Bratwursts are thought to have originated in Germany . Brat= finely chopped meat + Wurst = Sausage.
    They are usually pork, beef or veal (or a mix of these meats) and are grilled or roasted, but can also be served in a variety of ways including cooking in beer. Mustard is one of the usual accompaniments. Sauerkraut and potatoes are sometimes served.

There are many variations on the size and recipe of the bratwurst, many are regional dishes.

Mulled Wine - Again there are many varieties and recipes. Mulled = heated and spiced! This dates back to medieval times, when it was often drunk for medicinal reasons. Wine was more available than water often, but was sometimes too rough to drink. It was discovered that ading spices fruit and honey, and heating it made a pleasant drink

I usually prefer red wine mulled, but you can use white wine too. Other ingredients include water, fruit juices, sugar, cinnamon sticks, cloves, allspice, nutmeg, and oranges. Some add a nip of brandy too! You can use any cheap wine. Mulled wine is also available in the shops in bottles or in 'teabags' or muslin bags to add to the wet ingredients.

Gluhwein (Glow wine) from Germany, Vin Chaud (France) Vin Brule (Italy) are all names for this warming drink. In Germany a shot of Schnapps may be served as a chaser.
    Scandinavian Glog has an addition of raisins and almonds.

Favorite Dish: I enjoyed a cup of hot, spicy and alcohol laden mulled wine, which was a lot stronger than I'd anticipated! I paid £3 for the wine and £2 for the cup - which you could keep or return to collect your £2 deposit

I was glad of my bratwurst served in a bread roll (£4) to soak up the mulled wine! The stall that we purchased the wine from was serving 2 different varieties of sausage- a plain pork, or a spicy version. I opted for the spicy one, while Margaret went with the plain version. These were topped with lashings of tomato ketchup and a mild mustard.

There were small tables nearby to stand at.

There are also stalls to purchase a variety of sausages, bratwursts, salami etc to eat at home.

Another favourite stall in Albert Square, is The Hog Roast .......

Say when! Bratwurst stall Christmas Markets Margaret enjoying her mulled wine and pork bratwur Dao and Ricky52 choose Bratwursts to enjoy at home Bratwurst stall Christmas Markets

Hard Rock Cafe - Manchester: American flavour and Rock Music

by suvanki Updated Nov 9, 2013

Saturday late afternoon, Manchesters bars and restaurants were full. Luckily Gillybob soon arranged for a table for the 17 VTers who were attending her Christmas Markets 2009 VT Meet at The Hard Rock Cafe.
    As our table wasn't ready yet, we enjoyed a drink in the bar. Gillybob was given a device that would vibrate when our table was ready. This Hard Rock Cafe is the largest in the UK with seating for up-to 430 diners.

We were seated at a long table, where we could chat, take photos, sign post cards etc while waiting for our food. The young waiters were very patient and efficient. One was rewarded with a VT badge from Gillybob, after he'd been interested in what VT was all about. Dao even managed to parade his VT flag without trouble! (see my Travelogues for more photos)

This world wide known establishment opened here in September 2000. The Hard Rock Cafe is known for its American influenced food and drinks served amongst a background of Rock memorabillia, donated by musical greats past and present or found in auctions etc.. Music videos are played on various screens.

This was my 2nd visit to a Hard Rock Cafe (my first was in Bath,where I'd been excited to see one of Clarence Clemons saxaphones- The E-Street Band are one of my favourite groups)

Many of the legends from the Manchester music scene are represented here - Oasis, The Smiths, Stone Roses etc. As I'm from Sheffield, I was surprised to see a plaque that commemorated The Arctic Monkeys non appearance at the 2007 Brit awards. Instead they were linked by video from Sheffield. Some of the costumes that they wore for their acceptance speech are displayed in glass cabinets above the sign.

Around the bar are words from Oasis's 'Wonderwall'

There's also a shop to buy HRC gifts and CD's. The Hard Rock Cafe organisation is known for its philanthropic acts- donating vast amounts to various local, national and International charities. Their present projects involve fighting hunger and poverty and supporting World Hunger Year (WHY?) and the 'Imagine there's no hunger' campaign. You can buy charity goods or give donations at the Rock Shop

Click here for more info on Manchester Hard Rock Cafe

Fri - Sat till 2:00AM
    Sunday till 12:00AM
    Rock Shop:
    Mon - Sun 12:00PM - 12:00AM

I've just found out that the next HRC is to open in Venice on 18th December - So maybe I'll call in for a drink during my Christmas Visit. I'll probably not eat there this time though, as I'll be filling my face with local produce.

Favorite Dish: The menu is geared towards Quality American food such as burgers and steaks - all good quality, with large portions. (Click onto the link above for a sample menu) .

I decided to miss the starter and chose a salad -

The Honey Citrus Grilled Chicken Salad at £9.95 sounded delicious - and it was!
    "Fresh cut greens tossed with sweet red onions, grilled cajun chicken tossed with a honey citrus dressing.Topped with fresh orange segments, spiced pecans, red pepper strips, sweetened dried cranberries and blue cheese crumbles" (See picture ) This was a great place for a large group to eat ( especially as we hadn't pre- booked).
    The food was good, well presented and my salad was cold, while the chicken was warm, which I was quite impressed with as the place was very busy.

Hard Rock Cafe sign My salad Salad menu Mustertal and Gwynfiguy shopping in the Hard Rock
    • Music

• spidermiss's Profile Photo

Costa: There's always a Costa!

by spidermiss Updated Oct 18, 2013

My friend and I had dinner there after we had seen 'A Doll's House' at the Royal Exchange House. I love the coffee at Costa so I was happy to one. I had a tomato and mozzarella pasta salad and was followed by an Eton Mess Muffin which both were very nice. I also had a Peppermint tea which was a nice change to my usual coffee. It cost around about 7.10 gbp (June 2013).

Favorite Dish: I usually love their coffees and pastry goodies :)

Costa Coffee. Market Street, Manchester

• Evenith666's Profile Photo

Siam Orchid: The Original Thai Taste

by Evenith666 Updated Oct 11, 2013

The Siam Orchid, located in Chinatown was the first Thai restaurant in Manchester, and is still serving the most authentic Thai food in the city! This is a great little restaurant on Portland Street, and the food here is sure to leave you wanting more. My first visit here was the night before i left for university, after my family had been saying for a long time that they would have to take me.

My father visited the restaurant with my grandparents for his 21st birthday, and the then owner had ordered some prawn crackers especially for the occasion from Hong Kong, and my grandfather still maintains that they were the best he has ever tasted.

This place is certainly high up on the list of the best restaurants in Manchester.

Favorite Dish: Everything from this restaurant is fantastic, and I really cannot fault it, and the only bad thing that ever happened was simply my own fault (watch out for whole chillis in the hot and sour soup! Speaking from experience, you will be in agony if you eat one by accident and it will ruin the rest of your meal!)

Having said that, the Hot and Sour soup is delicious, as are the spare ribs.

We usually order form the set menu, and change one or two dishes, as we always find it so difficult to decide what to eat here!

• Luxury Travel

Carluccio's (Piccadilly): Fantastico!

by Balam Updated Sep 9, 2013

If you have time when passing through Piccadilly station why not stop by Carluccio's Cafe up on the first floor! If you don't have time for food why not just have a coffee from there range of traditional and fancy Italian coffees and if its before 12:00 then they are only £1!! yes thats cheaper than Ritazza, The mayfield or the new sports bar that opened a couple of months ago and the quality is far higher. If you have time you can always have a pastry as well and that will only cost you £2 with a coffee in the mornings, I recently had a Croissant and it was the best i have ever tasted, lovely and fresh and served with a friendly smile which is great at 08:40 in the morning, if you don't have time to sit down or not hungry just yet you can even pick up a packed lunch to eat on the train, In fact you don't even have to be going on a train to visit you could even visit especially just for lunch or dinner.

The food is really really good,

And there is a small shop that you can buy some selected items from! (there is a much larger shop at the spinning fields cafe!

But the food....

Its good.

Really good, just go!

Why are you still reading this? get to Carluccio's!!

Oh and the Staff are really friendly and helpful!

Favorite Dish: All of it!

Carluccio's And they even serve BEER! in Pints Milanese Di Pollo Carluccio's on the first floor Tiramasu (but you could tell that)
    • Luxury Travel

The Bank: Splendid Pub

by Balam Updated Jul 23, 2013

The Bank is another on of those great Nicholsons classic pubs, one of two in Manchester the other being the Old Wellington.
    It's a great pub and like all of Nicholson's Pubs the service, drinks and food are all first class. Nicholson's are reputed for their distinctive buildings with intriguing history and the Bank is probably one of the most interesting. Originally it was the Portico Library It was conceived in 1803 by a group of businessmen and built from stone in a neo-classical style.
    The library and newsroom opened in 1806
    The Ground floor did eventually become a bank but the Portico Library still survives upstairs. The entrance is at the side of the pub.

Service is always friendly and quick, It can get very busy though.

Opening Times:

• Wine Tasting

• vichatherly's Profile Photo

Lou Macari Fish & Chip Shop: Chips, Peas and Gravy

by vichatherly Updated May 23, 2013

A fine array of pre-match traditional fare can be found in this busy establishment.

Chips, peas and gravy is the usual for me, althouigh i used to add the additional meat pudding to the order, but it can be a bit of a belly buster.

This Manchester chippy has been going for years, and is named after Lou Macari, the Scottish midfielder who graced the red shirt of Manchester United between 1973–1984. He made 400 appearances for the club, scoring 98 goals.

There are stories that he still has something to do with the ownership of this shop, but of that I couldn't be sure...tasty chips though.

• vichatherly's Profile Photo

Wagamama: Japanese Fast Paced Food

by vichatherly Updated May 23, 2013

This is a recent addition to the restaurants that are springing up over the ship canal canal in Media City.

It's a good place for pre Old Trafford meal as the service is fast paced.

The food is always fresh and tasty and so it makes a healthy alternative to chips, peas and gravy.

Favorite Dish: the menus is that usual stuff for the restaurant chain. It's Japanese food by way of noodles and soup with noodles.

The last time I visited the restaurant I was feeling brave and so went for the "firecracker".

Tender marinated chicken breast or prawns stir-fried
    with mangetout, red hot chillies, red and green
    peppers, spring and white onions in a fiery sweet
    and hot sauce. served with steamed white rice and
    garnished with shichimi, sesame seeds and lime

It was nice and hot ... beautiful.

• Balam's Profile Photo

Carluccio's (Spinningfields): Fantastico nuovo!

by Balam Updated May 20, 2013

Carluccio's at Spinningfields if bigger than the one in Piccadilly station with a much larger shop, i was hoping it would have a fresh foods counter like the one in Cardiff but sadly it does not :( That did not stop us from eating some lovely food and then buying Pasta, Coffee and Olive Oil from the shop though.

The food and service is great, i had The Mozzarella Fusa (Melting Buffalo mozzarella, roasted peppers, sliced Parma ham and rocket) to start followed by a most fantastic Bistecca Di Bue Con Patate (8oz Ribeye steak with rosemary potatoes and a pepolata-red pepper sauce) all followed by a Chilled glass of Limoncello!

Carluccio's (Spinningfields) Bistecca Di Bue Con Patate Bread Tin Fish Stew
    • Singles

• mickeyboy07's Profile Photo

Buffet City: Great Chinese

by mickeyboy07 Updated Dec 12, 2012

All you can eat Chinese food buffet with food made fresh on the premises,perfect for groups,family outings,friends on a night out or couples.Plenty of choice wether its chicken,beef,fish,pork with lots of different noodles,rice,vegetables and even desserts,there's something here for everyone.Air conditioned,High chairs available,Licensed,Private functions,take-away and childrens menu all available.Prices sart at £5.50 per adult at lunchtime menu and £11.50 for evening menu.
    Opening times:Sun till Thu:10.30-22.30,Fri till Sat:10.30-23.30.

Favorite Dish: All the food here was exceptional so its hard to choose,i like my meat and there was plenty to choose from.

Great food V.T'ers getting stuck in

• tvor's Profile Photo

The Metropolitan: Bistro pub food in Didsbury

by tvor Written Nov 28, 2012

We spent a very relaxing evening at the Metropolitan in West Didsbury, close to Whalley Range in Manchester recently. The venu is quite large, with a pub on one side and a more formal restaurant on the other. There's a large outdoor seating area as well for nice weather. They have a parking lot as well with free parking, always a bonus. There are fireplaces, and also some large screen televisions but they aren't intrusive, not in the section where we were sitting.

The menu had interesting choices, a step above the usual "pub grub" with vegetarian options available, with good sized portions and some very interesting drinks choices. We had some cider, raspberry and also a pear cider which was delicious! They do a breakfast (opening at 10 a.m. so it's more of a brunch) and they do afternoon tea. Most main courses between 10 and 15 pounds with a steak at nearly 20 as the most expensive thing. The sandwiches and starters are under 10. I think our total bill was about 90 pounds for four people including a drink.

Favorite Dish: I had the Metropolitan burger and it was massive and really tasty. Others had fish and chips and bangers and mash and we all loved what we'd ordered. Portions are large, food is fresh and well cooked and presented.

Bem Brasil: Alimentos fantásticas

by Balam Updated Nov 19, 2012

Imagine a Buffet restaurant with a great selection of foods all top quality, everything from salads to roasted, boiled and chipped potatoes, Cous Cous to Beef stew, Cured meats and Brazilian side dishes, Chick peas to some stuff in shiny silver containers that you just don’t have room to fit in never mind being able to move to have a look because your that full of lovely food! we your imagining what it’s like at Bem Brasil.

We went on a damp Monday afternoon but walking in you are immediately whisked off to Brasil with the great decor and fantastic atmosphere. !
    We were shown to our table and explained how the restaurant works, Its simple really, you go to the buffet get some food and return to your table were you eat your food, However not long after sitting down the Meat waiters come around with lovely barbecued meats and carve slices off at your table, you grab them with the tongues provided and put it on your plate till you have enough. not long after another waiter will come around with a different meat and carve it for you. It was really fantastic,
    The Lamb was lovely, by far the best Lamb I have ever tasted and the Rump steak was delicious as were the sausages and the Gammon, oh the Gammon was divine!!
    A nice little touch is the yes and no discs that are on your table, if its green side up (Sim, por favor) they will keep coming with more food and if you turn it to Red (Não obrigado) they won’t come so you can have a bit of a breather. You can of course get up and go back to the buffet as many times as you want.

When you have had enough and if you have room you can order a desert, I did not have one but Vicki had a lovely Crème Caramel.

LUNCH: (Noon to 4pm), Monday to Friday: £12.50
    Vegetarian £8.00, Saturday & Sunday: £17.50

Meats available at Lunch are:
    Leg of Lamb, Gammon, Rump Steak, Spicy Chicken Thighs, Pork Sausage, Cap of Rump
    And Roasted Cinnamon Pineapple

Although there is plenty of food to eat at lunch the Dinner menu is truly massive! But it is also twice the price!

DINNER: (From 4pm), Monday to Sunday:£24.50
    Vegetarian (Mon to Fri): £12.50. (Sat & Sun): £17.50

Meats available at Dinner are:
    Smoked Gammon, Cap of Rump, Rump Steak, Leg of Lamb, Chilli Chicken, Chicken Hearts, Chicken wrapped in Pancetta, Beef Ribs, Sirloin Steak, Prime Brazilian Pork Sausage, Beef Skirt, Garlic Cap of Rump, Chilli Beef, Pork Ribs
    PLUS
    Roasted Cinnamon Pineapple and Roasted Garlic Bread

There is another Restaurant on Lever St in the Northern Quarter of Manchester and they have one in Liverpool

Bem Brasil Bem Brasil Bem Brasil Bem Brasil Vicki making sure they see her Green Disc
    • Singles

• Myfanwe's Profile Photo

BEM Brasil: A Great Experience

by Myfanwe Written Nov 13, 2012

BEM Brasil is a wonderful unique restaurant which will have you yearning for a return visit not long after the first! We visited the restaurant in Deansgate on a Mondy afternoon. Between 12 and 4pm you can eat as much as you like from the Rodizio Menu. You are invited to help yourself (as many times as you want) to the buffet where you will find a great choice which includes; dressed salads, cous cous, garlic mushrooms, butternut squash, olives and a lovely tasting beef stew. As you return to your seat, the meat waiters call round to your table with a neverending choice of meats. The meats are carved at your table right in front of you, all you have to do is catch your slice of meat using the tongs provided as the meat is carved off the skewer. As soon as you near the end of one portion, the waiters are around offering you more. We had gammon, rump steak and lamb among others. On the table you will find a cardboard disc, red on one side and green on the other. If you want a break from the non-stop meat feast you turn the disc to red but if you want more, you show the green side up. The whole experience was fantastic, everything I had from the buffet was delicious and the meats were mouth wateringly good especially the Lamb which was really tender... Mmmm. Surprisingly enough, I did manage to find room for a desert, I though it would be rude not to! I had the Caramel pudding, it was lovely.

The Rodizio costs; 12-4pm - Monday to Friday £12.50, £17.50 Saturday and Sunday
    Evening Rodizio from 4pm costs £24.50 (Monday to Sunday)

The Deansgate retaurant has a small cosy restaurant downstairs but has a huge room upstairs (260 seats) which is ideal for booking larger groups such as VT meetings :-)

I would recommend you book in advance if visiting BEM Brasil, it was very busy when we visited on a Monday afternoon.

BEM Brasil also has restaurants in Lever Street, Manchester and Hanover Street, Liverpool.

Favorite Dish: The butternut squash and garlic mushrooms from the buffet were delicious, the Lamb fresh off the skewers was very good indeed.

BEM Brasil Meat feast at BEM Brasil Buffet-licious Caramel Desert - YUM! Stop bringing me food now please!

Manchester Hotels

Travelodge Manchester Central
Latest: Jul 19, 2014
Radisson SAS Hotel Manchester Airport

Instant Answers: Manchester

Comments

Manchester Restaurants

Balam's Profile Photo

Whatever you want to eat you will find it in Manchester, From Chinese street food to Michelin starred it's all here!

You can see what are supposed to be some of the best here

Map of Manchester