New Forest Restaurants

Zaika
    by King_Golo
  • Beautiful old trees surround the village green.
    Beautiful old trees surround the village...
    by colin_bramso
    The Rising Sun at Basham
    by colin_bramso

Most Recent Restaurants in New Forest

• christine.j's Profile Photo

Ormonde House Hotel Restaurant: Decide in the morning what to eat at night

by christine.j Updated Jul 28, 2013

We stayed in Ormonde House hotel and they asked us if we wanted to have dinner there as well. We did, but were surprised when we had to decide what we wanted to eat several hourse before dinner. We also had to chose the time when we wanted to eat.
    In the reception area there is a blackboard on which the dishes are written which are offered that day. I chose baked eggplant and white bait, my husband had fishcake and salmon trout. When we arrived at the chosen time our table was ready and the appetizers were served immediately. Everything was excellent, British food at its best. The wine list didn't live up to this, it simply said white or red wine. When I asked about rosé, they said yes, but didn't give me any name or grape. For the red wine they had three different ones, but still didn't know which ones.
    Well, we didn't come to England to drink wine, so we enjoyed our excellent dinner and the very nice atmosphere.
    Did I take any pictures of the food? Sorry, no, I always forget that.

• colin_bramso's Profile Photo

The Lamb: History, views, great food.

by colin_bramso Updated Nov 22, 2011

Ponies on the village green.

Drive through the New Forest to the northern fringe to a little village called Nomansland.

On the village green is a wonderful old pub called The Lamb, with several tables out front and more in the garden to the rear, plus those inside. It overlooks the green and some beautiful very large old-growth trees, with ponies grazing on the green.

Favorite Dish: It's all good!

• queenpud's Profile Photo

Stanwell House: Fantastic Seafood

by queenpud Updated Apr 4, 2011

The service was excellent and the ambiance was cosy & luxurious. The food was simply sensational, with exciting new flavours. The menu starts with a sort of tapas list of seafood temptations like battered calamari, whole tails scampi, octopus in paprika oil; the list go one.
    The fish was cooked to perfection and the sauce was excellent, rich yet sharp.

MENU

Make sure that you book.

• queenpud's Profile Photo

Le poussin at Whitley Ridge: One Michelin? Not the day I lunched

by queenpud Updated Apr 4, 2011

Set in the beautiful New Forest, in a former hunting lodge built in the 18th century, the grounds are not as grandeur as I imagined. On the day we arrived the parking exhibited around 15 Rolls Royce 1907 cars; they were a beaut.

As it was a beautiful English sunny day, we sat out side (sort of a courtyard) . The table were well spaced and nicely laid. We chose the special menu of 2 coarse meal with a glass of wine for £15 (quite cheap). The service was attentive yet in my opinion imposing. I was asked 3 times, yes 3 times, if the main meal was to my satisfaction and when complaining that the venision was chewy, (an opinion shared by 3 of us who ordered the dish) the head waiter reply was that he had it for his lunch and it was perfect, he then added that it is normal for the meat to be chewy! I thought that was unprofessional and impolite.

The house wine was worse than the £3 bottle from supermarket. An insult.

I enjoyed the New Forest and the company, the food and the attitude of the head waiter was disappointing.

Favorite Dish: Definately not the venison

• King_Golo's Profile Photo

Zaika: Great Indian food in Milford on Sea

by King_Golo Written May 24, 2010

Zaika

Zaika might well be the only restaurant of interest in Milford on Sea. There is a pizza place which was almost empty, a fish restaurant that hardly anybody entered, some pubs and Zaika where the door opened every two minutes and the waiters welcomed just another guest... Oh, and there's is an apparently very popular fish-and-chips shop just around the corner where people queued for ages just to get their serving of greasy fish. We decided to try out Zaika, and it definitely was a good choice. The food was very good, the waiters were attentive and the prices relatively low. If you're in Milford or around, check this place out.

Favorite Dish: I tried Peshawari Chicken which was very sweet but really tasty. The starters (Allo Chat or something like that) were splendid, as was my wife's food which I was allowed to try as well.

• colin_bramso's Profile Photo

Try the pub restaurants

by colin_bramso Updated Oct 21, 2008

Donkeys gather at 'the local'.

All over the New Forest, as throughout England, every village and town has pubs.

They are also dotted around the countryside, standing on their own away from the villages, and most of them offer very good food. The atmosphere is friendly because they're the local meeting places, the food can vary from plain to exotic and the pubs are often very, very old and historic.

In the New Forest they also have the added attraction of the views of open land and the animals gathered around them.

Instant Answers: New Forest

Comments

New Forest Restaurants

Reviews and photos of New Forest restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for New Forest sightseeing.