Hereford Restaurants

Squashy sofas
    Old beams
    by leics
    Pork belly and colcannon.....yum!

Best Rated Restaurants in Hereford

• Myfanwe's Profile Photo

Summer Palace: Great food

by Myfanwe Written Jan 25, 2010

Summer Palace

The Summer Palace is a great little restaurant situated right in Hereford Town Centre. You can order separate meals off the menu or if you fancy a bit of everything I would highly recommend the 'All you can eat A La Carte Buffet' at £13.95 per person. For the one price you are given a selection of starters off the menu such as Prawn toast, spare ribs and pancake rolls, shredded crispy duck and lamb with plum sauce and pancakes then you can order as many main courses off the menu as you like. The food here is of a very high standard and the service is great too.

Favorite Dish: The shredded Duck with plum sauce wrapped in pancakes is delicious.

• Myfanwe's Profile Photo

Jalsagoor: Great Ambience and food

by Myfanwe Written Jan 25, 2010

Jalsagor

The Jalsagoor Indian Restaurant is situated in the heart of Hereford City Centre. It offers fantastic food, a great atmosphere and speedy service. We had a selection of dips and Poppadoms to start then I had chicken Jalfrezi with Pilau rice, this was probably one of the best curries I've ever had, it was delicious. We visited in December, after our meal we were handed a gift bag which contained a china mug with the restauarant name and telephone number on it - a great marketing technique methinks.

Favorite Dish: The Chicken jalfrezi was really good.

• aaaarrgh's Profile Photo

The Antique Tea Shop: Independent cafe full of charm

by aaaarrgh Written Nov 27, 2005

antique tea shop

How disappointing that Hereford, like many cities, is filled with multi-global coffee shops, like Star (Big) Bucks and Costa (Lotta )Coffee. I hate the way they are making all High Streets look the same.

Fortunately there is an extremely pleasant independent cafe in Hereford city centre. The Antique Tea Shop serves homemade sandwiches, cakes, scones, tea and coffee - all at sensible, reasonable, non-Bigbucks prices.

Quaint lace table cloths, pretty china cups, saucers and plates, colourful upholstered chairs that your gran would be proud of. And a vase of fresh red roses in the ..erm... bathroom. All quintessentially English - apart from the friendly Polish girls who worked there :-)

Favorite Dish: Yummy home-made cakes and nice big generous slices. Sandwiches made on the premises using local ingredients.

• leics's Profile Photo

Cafe at All Saints: Cafe in a church!

by leics Updated Oct 26, 2013

View from the upstairs seating area

I'm used to finding cafes attached to cathedrals, and to redundant churches being taken over as restaurants etc....but this is the first functioning (and rather lovely) church I have ever seen with a large cafe inside, serving not only coffee/tea and cakes but proper hot food. They even hire themselves out for parties, wedding receptions and so on!

It has daily specials (mostly locally sourced) as well as standard sandwiches, jacket potatoes, soup and so on. All made on the premises, as are the cakes. If I'd been hungry enough on my first visit (in 2008) I'd have had a meal there, because the food looked lovely and the place was clearly extremely popular with locals (always a good sign).

But I had a coffee instead ('Illy' brand, and very nice too) and an absolutely superb walnut and chocolate brownie.

The place was full of shoppers and their families enjoying various snacks and meals, but there is an 'upstairs' gallery as well so it was easy enough to find a table. There is even a stainless steel 'pod' for a toilet.

At first I was a little taken aback at finding such hustle and bustle (and noise and cooking smells) within a church but then realised it's a really excellent idea. Not only does the ancient church get financial benefits, but people are drawn inside (which may make for converts, in the end).

And, thinking about it, eating and drinking (and doing other, far worse, things) was the norm in Medieval churches when there was no service going on.This old church (dating from the 14th century) has seen it all before!

I'm pleased to say that on my return visit in 2013 All Saints was just as busy and popular as it had been 5 years previously. That's the sign of a really good place! :-)

• leics's Profile Photo

Janes the Antique Tea Shop: Absolutely classic tea-room.

by leics Updated Dec 27, 2008

Lovely ambience.

Wonderful place!

Courteous service, tables with proper tablecloths and proper chairs........proper loose-leaf tea served in china cups, lump sugar, lovely sandwiches, superb home-made cakes (and large portions). They do home-made soups and jacket potatoes as well.

All at extremely reasonable prices. A hundred times better quality (food, drink and service) than any tea or coffee (or cakea) you will get from the large national or international chains, and cheaper too.

My pot-of-tea for one and cheese & onion sandwich (with crisps and salad garnish) came to just over 4GBP (December 2008), which is pretty excellent.

• Religious Travel

• leics's Profile Photo

The Imperial: Local pub ..beer and food.

by leics Written Oct 26, 2013
    The Imperial

The 'Imperial' is a classic 'black-and-white' pub right in the centre of Hereford.

I know how hard it is to find anything but ethnic food and takeaways on a Sunday evening anywhere in the UK ,so I'd planned to have a proper 'Sunday dinner' when I arrived in Hereford prior to checking into my accommodation. The Imperial was the first place I came across after parking and, time being short, I thought I'd give it a try.

It's a big pub with plenty of space, although it wasn't very busy on either of my visits. The beer (I tried Hobgoblin and Butty Bach) is well-kept and the young staff were friendly and courteous enough.

The food menu is fairly extensive(see website) and fairly-priced. My roast dinner, when it arrived, was perfectly adequate. It filled a gap for a reasonable price, which is all I wanted.

I returned in the early evening for a half and something light to keep me going until breakfast. I decided on guacamole and nachos. The nachos seemed to be freshly-cooked (they were still warm) and the guacamole was ok, though very bland.

So...the Imperial is an ok place to go for good beer and adequate food at a reasonable price.

• leics's Profile Photo

The Grapes: Local pub 2: beer and better food.

by leics Written Oct 27, 2013
    Pork belly and colcannon.....yum!

I spotted this place on my way to Hereford Cathedral and determined that I'd eat there on the way back....or at least have a beer.

The Grapes is made up of three old buildings, two from the 1600s and one from the 1700s. They have long been knocked through to make one pub.

I liked the interior very much: old beams and squashy sofas, a pool table and proper coffee machine, friendly and courteous staff. There's a restaurant area upstairs as well (and a small 'function room' in the cellar) but I chose to eat in the bar area. It certainly wasn't busy, but at 6.30pm on a wet late-October Monday I wouldn't expect any pub to be busy.

I had a beer (Butty Bach, well-kept) whilst I looked at the menu. It's quite extensive (you can see it on the website), very reasonably-priced and contains a bit more than the usual English standard pub fare of steaks, burgers, lasagne, fish & chips etc........ which is good.

I chose the belly pork served on braised cabbage, with colcannon mash and cider 'jus' (gravy!). It was was piping hot, very filling...and absolutely delicious. One of the best pub meals I've had for a very long time.

Instant Answers: Hereford

Comments

Hereford Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Hereford restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Hereford sightseeing.