History of Ross-on-Wye
Favorite thing: The earliest recorded reference to Ross-on-Wye was in a document from 1016 that was presented to the Bishop of Hereford; Ross is also mentioned in the Doomsday book as a village and manor belonging to the Bishop of Hereford. It also notes a priest and a mill, meaning that by this time Ross-on-Wye had grown into an established village with a church and a corn mill. In the 12th century King Stephen granted the town a charter, this allowed the town; the King’s charter stimulated the economy of Ross-on-Wye and attracted trade from the surrounding countryside.
- Historical Travel
Favorite thing: Although Ross is a medieval market town, the current market house was built between 1650 and 1654, replacing an older building.
Ross Market Building is still in use by local traders on Saturdays and Thursdays and also houses the Ross Heritage Centre, which is open to visitors.