The Roman Catholic Church in St.John's Street was constructed in 1861 and is dedicated to The Immaculate Conception and St.Joseph. The site of the current church once housed Hertford Priory which was founded in 1087 by Sir Ralph De Limesi, a nephew of William the Conqueror but it was destroyed on 9th February 1539 under the Dissolution of the Monasteries under King Henry VIII.
Christ's Hospital School came to Hertford in 1694. The current main buildings were built in 1904 and opened by the then Prince Of Wales who later became King Edward V11. In 1985 the school left and the buildings are now offices. The original girl's school, which can be seen from Fore Street, dates from the 18th century. The area where the Tesco supermarket now stands was once a playing field for the school.
These buildings housed the Addis toothbrush factory for some 60 years. They were built in 1935 and were designed by Douglas Hamilton in the modern style. The larger building on the other side of the entrance, built in the same style was constructed in 1955. Addis came to the town in 1920 from London, taking over the site of the Hertford Steam Laundry which stood on this site. In 1993 the company left the town and relocated to Swansea in Wales. Since then several businesses have moved in including Herts & Essex Newspapers Ltd.
The present church at All Saints was completed in 1905, although a church has stood on the site for many hundreds of years, the first vicar having been presented in 1248. The large building we see today was constructed following a huge fire which destroyed the church that stood there previously.
Built in 1570, The Salisbury Arms is named after the Salisbury's of Hatfield who own Hertford Castle. Prior to 1800 it was known as The Bell. In the election of 1832 the Hotel was the Tory Headquarters, but the result was declared null and void because of bribery and corruption.
The Parliament of England temporarily moved to Hertford during the Great Plague of London in 1665. This is why the main square in the town, Parliament Square, is so named, although it is a twentieth century creation. In the middle of the square lies the war memorial for those who died during World War 1 and which features the counties emblem of a Hart, a male deer.
Formerly known as The Verger's House, this wonderful Tudor building was built around 1450. Cottages which once stood behind the building were demolished in 1892 and replaced by St.Nicholas Hall. The two buildings were not joined however until 1970. The Hall is named after the medieval parish of that name, which was combined with that of St.Andrews around the beginning of the 17th century. Money for the restoration of the hall was raised by a fete on Hartham Common and donations from Hartford in North America.
The remains of the Saxon Church of St.Mary The Less were discovered whilst the library was being built, and some of these remains can be seen to the left of the building. The original church was built around 1210 but was destroyed in 1552.
The Library in Old Cross is a Grade II listed building constructed at the turn of the 20th century. Inside it features a fiction and non-fiction library, information on the town and surrounding area plus internet stations.
Hartham Common is located to the north of the town centre with the elevated suburb of Bengeo running along its northern edge. The park is situated in the valley of the River Lea and the River Beane, where the rivers' confluence is, at the eastern edge of the main field.
Hartham Common is very sport-orientated, with many different sports being practiced in the area. A selection includes football, rugby, tennis, fishing, bowls, kayaking and canoeing. A full gym and swimming pool is already located on the edge of the park.
The Hertford Brewery of McMullens & Sons was built in Hartham Lane in 1891. The brewery was founded in 1827 in Railway Street and moved first to Mill Bridge in 1832 and then to its current location. However, the main brewery was closed a smaller, modern brewhouse was built on the other side of the road in 1984. The old site has now been sold to supermarket chain Sainsbury's.
Just north of the town centre where the River Lea runs through the town, you'll find a lovely path called Riverside which, as the name suggests, runs along the river with a pub and some nice 19th century terrace houses. The area to the north of this in between the river and Hartham Common features more small streets of Victorian terrace housing.
The River Lea flows through the middle of Hertford via a series of weirs, one of them, known as the Hertford Weir, is quite spectacular. The river originates in Leagrave Park, Leagrave, Luton, Bedfordshire in the Chiltern Hills and flows for 68km (42 miles) until it meets the River Thames in London.
Hertford still retains most of its Olde England feel in its town centre streets with little modern infringement. As the town centre is compact, you can simply pick up a free map from the Tourist Information Centre and walk around and explore.
Hertford has some wonderful old buildings that date from the 15th century, one of the oldest being the lovely timber framed Tudor building of St Nicholas Hall. Most date from the 17th-19th century's and can be found in the town's small compact centre making them ideal to walk around. More can be found in one of my travelogues.