Rickmansworth Travel Guide

Rose and Crown pub, Rickmansworth, UK.
    by planxty
  • Ye Olde Greene Manne pub, Rickmansworth, UK.
    Ye Olde Greene Manne pub, Rickmansworth,...
    by planxty
  • Interior, Rose and Crown pub, Rickmansworth, UK.
    Interior, Rose and Crown pub,...

Rickmansworth Things to Do

by planxty Written Jun 28, 2013

I had been around Rickmansworth a few times whilst "messing about on boats" on the Grand Union Canal but it was only whilst walking the London LOOP long-distance path which circumnavigates the capital that I bumped into "Ye Olde Greene Manne" pub on Batchworth Heath.

I am always a little sceptical about pubs with this "Olde English" styling as they are generally a relatively modern place attempting to claim a heritage they don't possess. In the case of this pub, and to their credit they freely admit it on their attached website, they don't actually know how old it is. There are claims for 1728 and 1881 although neither would require that style of language as being original. That aside, I wandered in and ordered a pint, which took a little while as the staff didn't seem overly interested in serving me. Having been walking all day, I was wearing boots (not muddy, I checked) and pretty casual clothing and I got the distinct impression I was not exactly the type of client they wanted. Everyone else seemed pretty well togged out in designer labels.

I took my pint, sat down by the unlit fire (it was warm enough that day) and had a look round. I would suggest the place has been refurbished relatively recently and it is certaily spotlessly clean and tidy. As with the name, I forned the impression the entire place was trying a little too hard to be a little too old. Food seems to figure prominently and the menu looked interesting. They feature a prix fixe menu until 1700 hours Monday - Saturday and feature pies by the celebrity chef James Martin. There is also a full kids menu. I had not planned to eat there and so I finished my drink and wandered on.

I should, at this point, explain the title of this tip. According to their website, this place is much sought after by film location scouts. The pub features in films as diverse as Genevieve (1952), Withnail & I and Raiders of the Lost Ark. I stand to be corrected and it is some years since I saw it but I am sure that Genevieve concerned the vintage car race from central London to Brighton. If they ended up in Rickmansworth I fear their navigation was not all it might have been!

I should stress that absolutely nothing bad happened to me here but I had the distinct impression the whole time that I was not "their kind of people". However, if you are looking smart and fancy a meal it may be for you.

Ye Olde Greene Manne pub, Rickmansworth, UK. Ye Olde Greene Manne pub, Rickmansworth, UK.

by planxty Written Jun 27, 2013

Regular readers of my pages will know that I am currently walking a circular waymarked path round the periphery of London, known as the London LOOP which is proving to be absolutely wonderful. Not too far into the walk, I happened upon this place which was, by definition, in Greater London, but looked for all the world like a typical "Olde Worlde" pub in some very rural place in UK. Honestly, I would not be surprised if they used the exterior of this as a film location.

OK, I visited mid afternoon on a fairly dismal May day (it had been an awful Spring!) and wasn't expecting it to be full. In the event, there was only one other patron who turned out to be extremely friendly and interested in my walking plan. He even gave very specific advice on how to cross the fairly major road outside and where the path actually went as it was not brilliantly waymarked. Thanks, mate. The young barmaid was equally friendly and we chatted about this and that. I got the impession that, although I was not a known there, it was a "proper" old style pub where everyone was made welcome. That is missing somewhat in a lot of British pubs now.

As to the pub itself, well it is a hugely a hugely historic building that just oozes charm and (judging by the menu) serves up decent food. If you are in the area, especially if I have persuaded you to have a bit of a walk round the LOOP, I do encourage you to drop in here, you'll love it.

Rose and Crown pub, Rickmansworth, UK. Interior, Rose and Crown pub, Rickmansworth, UK. Interior, Rose and Crown pub, Rickmansworth, UK. Garden, Rose and Crown pub, Rickmansworth, UK. Interior, Rose and Crown pub, Rickmansworth, UK.

• Rickmansworth Hotels

• Bedford Arms

Chenies Village, Chenies, Rickmansworth, Buckingha

Rickmansworth Restaurants

by planxty Updated Apr 4, 2011

So admittedly it was a Friday night and we didn't have a reservation, but it is unusual in Southern England to need one in an "Indian" restaurant. Actually, like most restaurants styling themselves Indian in the UK, it is owned and staffed by Banfladeshis. The result was that four of us were shoehorned round a table in the corner that could have comfortably handled two.

Service was brusque to the point of downright rudeness and the meals, when they eventually arrived, came in dribs and drabs, not all at once.

I could have put up with all this if the food had been notable but it really wasn't. I opted for something a little different, a lamb Acchari, described on the menu as fairly hot. Frankly, I have eaten hotter kormas. It was flavoursome enough but marred by tough and very overcooked meat.

One of my friends had a dhansak which was pronounced insipid, and my other two companions declared their mains as nothing special.

Perhaps I have been spoiled living in a predominantly Bangladeshi area, so I know how good this cuisine can be, or perhaps this place is just not that good. I suspect the latter.

Favorite Dish: Well, the garlic naan was OK, when it eventually arrived.

Rickmansworth Warnings and Dangers

by planxty Written Jun 28, 2013

After having visited Rickmansworth on a few occasions previously, all concerned with the Grand Union Canal which I love, I recently revisited as part of walking the London LOOP, a long-distance trail whic circumnavigates the capital. I had visited the nearby Olde Greene Manne pub (see seperate tip on this page) and felt a touch underdressed for it and, believe me, this is not a clever comment on what I am about to tell you!

I was using a very useful guidebook which I quote from here, "the more modest Prince of Wales pub". Again, this is not intended t be a smart comment. One of my self-imposed tasks whilst walking the LOOP is to visit every available pub I find, so it was straight in the door and ordered a pint. The place was fairly full even mid-afternoon which surprised me a little although I noticed there were no women there although that is not surprising in a "working man's pub" at that time of day.

Shortly thereafter some fairly loud dance music started. I supposed it was the jukebox on random play but that was not the case. From somewhere out the back a young and scantily dressed woman appeared and started to dance her way round the bar. now, I am not an "innocent abroad" and it was immediately apparent to me that this was a "strippers bar." I was in the Army, I played rugby and I would not insult the readers intelligence by suggesting I had never been in such a place before. I have no desire to get into the morality of young ladies making money by removing their clothing for money, that is not what this tip is about. I merely offer this tip so that you can avoid this place if that is not your thing.

I should say that, apart from the "entertainment" it was a friendly place serving a decent pint and not at all threatening as some such places can be.

I have not included contact details although I shall give the addres so there is no confusion as to which premises I am referring to. The address is 14 Batchworth Heath, Rickmansworth, Hertfordshire WD3 1QB. I have also included an external photo. Obviously, I was not going to take photos inside! You have the information so the decision is now yours.

Prince of Wales pub, Rickmansworth, UK.

Rickmansworth Off The Beaten Path

by planxty Written Jun 28, 2013

Have a look at the fairly decrepit little post, seen here by the side of a road in Rickmansworth which you could easily walk past and never notice as it is virtually overgrown. However, like so many of these things, look a little closer. I had been directed to this by the guidebook I was using whilst walking the wonderful London LOOP long-distance path which I have mentione elsewhere on this page.

I immediately recognised the quartered coat of arms with the sword in the top left decaying at the top of the post as the coat of arms of the City of London. Now, the City of London is a small area of about one square mile containing the central business district and it was a long, long way from here. So what is it then? Well, it is a coal post and designated boundary where you had to pay coal tax to enter the capital.

Like so many other things, I had no idea these markers even existed and my research for this Virtual Tourist page has led me to this rather interesting website. From this I have learned that it is all to do with the London Coal and Wine Duties Continuance Act 1861 (whatever that might be) and I don't intend to go into the whole history here, have a look at the website if you are interested.

I will say though that having been alerted to these things and there are quite a few of them still extant, I shall no doubt see a lot more of them in future. See how many you can find. Yet another quirky little thing to find in London and it's surrounding areas.

Coal duty post, Rickmansworth, UK. Coal duty post, Rickmansworth, UK.

Instant Answers: Rickmansworth

Comments

Rickmansworth Travel Guide
Map of Rickmansworth