Cleethorpes Warnings and Dangers

• suvanki's Profile Photo

Car Parking Confusions...

by suvanki Updated Aug 27, 2013

Car Parking Tariff and Rules

. Arriving in Cleethorpes, we headed to the first Car Park that we saw a sign for. Two women asked if we could park there? - We must have looked have looked like we were questioning their eye sight and intelligence -" Err Yes, It's a Pay and Display" we said, heading to the machine behind them clutching £5 in coins. "Yes, but it says Permit Holders Only" They said, Well we could see the Pay and Display Sign and tariffs, but Yes, on the same board were two posters, stating that it was for Permit Holders Only, threatening all kind of hefty fines to sinners who parked here etc.

We decided that the blurb was intentionally misleading, and decided to try elsewhere, rather than risk clamping or at least spoiling our day out, worrying if we were going to get a ticket. We parked up on The Promenade near Ross Castle with little problem. I went off to pay, and joined a short queue to 'Pay and Display', which was being held up by the man at the front of the queues coins being rejected.

Eventually It was my turn.. Hoping that my coins would be accepted, I stepped upto the machine -Enter numbers of Car Registration Plate... WHAT? We'd travelled in Phils car, and I only know the last 3 letters. I couldn't see the reg plate from where I was, and I couldn't see Phil, so, I had to leave the queue, head over to the car, without getting knocked over by the cars/ bikes/scooters etc, try and spot the reg number, which people from the car in front were blocking, return to the queue, then enter the number and finally get my ticket £5 for 4 hours plus. I was surprised to see the lengthy list of Penalties - If We'd been parking for only half an hour, our time would have been up before we'd read through these!

I didn't get a photo of the first car park unfortunately.

Car Parking at the end of North Promenade was a bit cheaper - £4 for All Day

Check out the website below for car Parking in Cleethorpes

• Disabilities
    • Motorcycle

• sourbugger's Profile Photo

Beware of beached whales....

by sourbugger Updated May 19, 2004

Adapted from a BBC website about Cleethorpes:

About 100 years ago, a passing whale made the huge mistake of swimming into the Humber estuary. When the tide went out, the whale floundered and was beached. The locals could do nothing to help the poor creature, and it died. There was no heavy equipment available to tow away the remains, nor the means to bury it, so the seagulls fed on the rotting carcass for weeks. It was jokingly reported that the revolting stench could be smelt from as far away as Yorkshire. - (SB : no change there then)

I was going to add a sexist photograph of some lardy assed tart on the shore, with a caption of "Beware of the beached whale", but I would never stoop that low.

Whales have also beached themselves more recently - and they are not always saved.

Some say that you should also be careful that the occassional explosive mine turns up from WW2, but those of these things I feel would come under "Lowest risk" in a risk assessment document.

• sourbugger's Profile Photo

Watch out for killer donkeys......

by sourbugger Updated May 18, 2004

Don't ride this one

You just have to read this abridged account from Hansard (proceedings of the House of Commons)

Mr. M.Brown : I have the honour and privilege to represent the seaside resort of Cleethorpes. For most hon. Members, the word "Cleethorpes" conjures up visions of seaside, donkey rides and the promenade. One of the greatest pleasures for young people of visiting Cleethorpes is the opportunity to enjoy the benefits of normal seaside pleasures. Donkey rides have been a traditional seaside pleasure at Cleethorpes and at other seaside resorts in the north, such as Skegness and Blackpool for a long time.

Mr. H Greenway : A donkey is not referred to as an equine, although it is within the equine family. Most often, donkeys are ridden on beaches, so there would be no danger in children riding them. I caution that donkeys are incredibly dangerous to ride and I have seen them unseat the best jockeys without difficulty.

Mr. Brown : I know quite a lot about the donkeys at Cleethorpes. Two years ago, the mayor of Cleethorpes, Mrs. Gladys Nuttall--

Mr. Atkins : The mare?

Mr. Brown : No, the mayor. Mrs. Nuttall had a distinguished career. She and her family ran the donkey rides at Cleethorpes for many years. She and I are worried that because the donkeys set off from the promenade they may be within the scope of the Bill.....(cont)

Mr. Soames : My hon. Friend raises an important point about his constituency. I am familiar with the donkeys there. They are a fine breed.

My hon. Friend should not ignore the point made by my hon. Donkeys are absolute brutes. Some two years ago, I suffered a terrible fall from a donkey when riding in a donkey derby at a village fete. The donkey was completely unscathed but I was quite badly injured.

Mr. Brown : I am distressed to hear that, but my hon. Friend is overreacting slightly. I take the point that donkeys can be bad tempered. I know the donkeys at Cleethorpes better than anyone else, and have always found them more agreeable than the average donkey. The issue is....(continues...)

• Horse Riding

Instant Answers: Cleethorpes

Comments

Cleethorpes Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Cleethorpes warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Cleethorpes sightseeing.