Grimsby Things to Do

I love Remmington Type Writer

Most Recent Things to Do in Grimsby

Grimsby Fishing Heritage Center 11

Cash Advances

Cash Advance---This system still followed on ship till now.But its funny concept where nothing like "Advance".I mean before month starting they will give us some cash if needed and that also our balance should not go in negative at month end so what we basically get is our month's salary no more than that even we are there on ship for nxt month.Everyone want to safe gaurd their interest.so at the end what we get is what we have earned its our money only.

Second Picture is called "The Settling Office" where wages of people settled after coming from voyage its hard to believe that skipper of vessel made 62 pound for a week and sailors made just 6 pounds for week there is large gap even these sailor work hard onboard.Today also captain salary is 10 times more than that of sailors.its all same today.

Third picture--where we can see electrical fitting of those days.

and fourth picture is of boiler of old days.and fifth picture is my last picture and with that I have shared almost all of my picture and I put whatever the knowledge I had about fishing and shared my experience with you all I hope you have enjoyed the "Virtual Tour" of Grimsby Fishing Heritage Center.

Grimsby Fishing Heritage Center 10

by mehulraj Written Sep 25, 2011

The Sorrow Room

First let me write down story written on wall "The gentleman in black suite has come to give Mrs.Mogg some news.He has a serious look on his face and Mrs.Mogg is sitting down which means he has probably bad news.what kind of bad news would he come to tell a Fisherman's wife??

Mrs.Mogg husband Bill was skipper of the trawler Laforey which was lost while fishing.Fishing was dangerous job and many man were lost at sea in fishing accidents."

>>>>>>>>>This roam called as "The sorrow Room" and its about some bad news given to Fisherman's wife.And there we can here tape playing in background where that gentleman breaks news about her husbands's death.I think its real story and in other two picture may be of that family.Its really heart touching room,thats skippers gal is small kid I cant think of that kids feeling.And with hope she may be sitting at home waiting her father to come home to tell some brave stories about sea but that thing will never happen.

Last Picture is One of my best picture.Its all about Drama of the High Seas.

Grimsby Fishing Heritage Center 9

by mehulraj Updated Sep 25, 2011

Fish and Chips--Do you want some???????

In this Heritage Center we can find this "Fish and Chips" shop too.Price is as always too low and statues are almost real.Last picture is cloths of those days,fashion of Grimsby.Some cloths are funny or people may laugh at us if we put it now but I am sure during those days this cloths were might have been talk of the town.

Grimsby Fishing Heritage Center 8

by mehulraj Updated Sep 25, 2011

Pub--wanna join for one shot

There is bar too but not in working condition.But the setup is very good and best thing visiting this Heritage center is they have put this life size statues all over and they dont look funny at all.They all look like has life in it I hope you all share my thought too.

In third picture we can see the price list of those days and ofcourse its dead cheap if we compare with today what we pay.I have been to one of pub of Grimsby where Beer is costing around 3 pound now.Nothing compared to this price list.

And last picture is about one piano which is there in bar and amazing thing is its in working condition.

Grimsby Fishing Heritage Center 7

The Perseverance

This ship is one of the very important ship or vessel for Grimsby Fishing Heritage center.This ship is put at ground floor for view.This ship is built during 1914 and last ship to operate from its docks.

She is 46 foot long and 6 ton in weight.And surprising fact about this vessel is it has been restored by unemployed people as a part of community program.

Grimsby Fishing Heritage Center 6

Deckie Learner The Movie

Movie Room--This is the room where they play movie called "Deckie Learner" its ofcourse in black and white and it is produced in 1960 by Granada Television.It all about Fishing activity done by young people out at sea,its 40 minute movie I watched it half its really good.I didnt find this exact movie on internet but similar movies are available on youtube.Second picture is wallpaper its really good but sad part of this wallpaper is boys as old as 8 years went for fishing instead of going to school.

The apprentice lads---Intially in general when shipping and fishing industries started developing that time there were no rules and regulation regarding safety of passengers,cargo or safety of ship or personnel working onboard.And just because of no governing body it developed in hap hazard manner.And It was the main reason for some accidents happened onboard some are intentionally and some are because of human errors.Still after century has passed but human error is the main reason for accidents onboard.Condition on board nowadays are improving but still its not that good as it has to be.As a sea going person I have my share of experiences

And during those days kids as small as 8 years old are brought for fishing.All in general all of them are treated reasonably well but still there are some gore incidents which brings darker side of human or devils inside of them to open.It all happened but not now.

Grimsby Fishing Heritage Center 5

Working In Harsh Condition

Can we think of the actual situation when working in Harsh weather condition,I doubt it.So here is our chance to imagine even though we are not put into that kind of physical work.This is one of the room where they show us situation out there at sea with some pre-recorded dialogues onboard and thats really nice to hear and see how they might have worked for their bread and butter putting their life on the mercy of mother nature.

Here sailor is trying to break the frozen ice on deck with axe.Its really necessay to do it as this will hamper their work and also it will completely stop working their winches on deck.This job looks easy but its dangerous and need hardwork

And out at sea its all about hardwork and teamwork,they had to work as team to go happy face home.In second picture we can see sailor working on deck and below is storage facility where other sailor are storing those fishes which we can see in third picture.And other pictures are their big catch.

Grimsby Fishing Heritage Center 4

Captain of Vessel

Main Picture----Thats the captain of vessel.Dressed nice to impress and pipe in mouth and cleaned shaved I think thats the scene when they come on shore after a big catch otherwise at sea he might not get time for shaving for his whole stay and with no sleep at all for few days.And to get big catch all depends upon luck,few days back I was watching "Perfect Storm" first when they didnt had luck with fish then they deviate from their regular path and find luck at some other part of sea.But ultimately that brings hell on their life.That was very touching movie.And here also we can see some of their life after visiting Fishing Heritage Center.

Second Picture---Here its all ancient radio/communication equipment are kept for display.

Third Picture---Old daily newspaper of those days.

Fourth Picture---During those days in Grimsby only two activities were talk of the town,one is fishing and other its local football team.Even they named trawlers as "The Mariners".Sailors went on to sea with hope when they return their team might have achieved some great things and also at sea talk of their home team keep them occupied even dring high stressful day.Its really quite strange that first Grimsby football team established during 1879 yes its true.And intially players used to put on stripped shirt and with black pants which is visible in picture.

Fifth Picture--And in this picture we can see sailor enjoying his leisure time at smoke room sitting coffee and smoking.

Grimsby Fishing Heritage Center 3

Quite Occupied with Fish net weaving

In Main picture we can see woman quite occupied with Fish net weaving.When you walk around "ROSS TIGER" we can see Fishing Net made of yarn or some basic material and over the period of time they shifted to nylon Fishing net.Our guide during vessel's visit he showed us how to do weaving thats because his grand father might have taught him how to use one special tool for weaving.And women also shared lil burden of men by doing lil jobs for them.

Second & Third Picture--Here we can see bikes used during those days.First bike I think might have been used by ladies and second muscular bike in the background might have been used by guys.

Fourth & Fifth Picture--They were movie loving people too.I think apart from pub, movie theatre might have been greatest attraction for them.After long stay at sea and after getting down from vessel they need some recreation too.And during those old days they didnt had anything onboard for entertainment apart from talking with each other and smoking.And after working there for around 18 hours in a day they cant even think of watching movie if they had that kind of facilities.

Grimsby Fishing Heritage Center

Weekends and bank holiday 10am to 5pm

NOVEMBER 1 TO MARCH 31
    Tuesday to Friday 10am to 4pm
    Weekends and bank holiday 10am to 4pm

ACCESS The Fishing Heritage Centre is accessible to wheelchair users and has an induction loop system at reception.An audio guide for visitors with visual impairments is also available.

ANNUAL PASS--PAY ONCE AND GET IN FREE FOR A YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AND WE GET WRITTEN POETRY BY ONE OF THE SAILOR OF "ROSS TIGER" I PUT IT HERE FOR ALL US.NOT EVERYBODY WILL GET CHANCE TO VISIT THIS PLACE AND APART SHARING ONE TIP ONLY ABOUT THIS WHOLE HERITAGE CENTER I WILL PUT ALL OF MY PICTURE FOR ALL.I CAN SAY COMPLETE FISHING HERITAGE CENTER

A weatherbeaten tiger lies sleeping at the quay,

Dreaming of the times gone by,

When seh stalked the sea,

Many feet have trod the decks,

Many skippers too,

Pederson.Hodson.Stokes.Greaves.Avery.

Just to name a few,

Through force ten gales and raging seas,

She battled all the way,

To put a smile upon the face,

Of men on landing day,

Now the hard works over

And no one can forget,

SO KEEP ON DREAMING TIGER,

YOU HAVEN'T FINISHED YET.

A.HODSON ------93

Grimsby Fishing Heritage Center 2

Navigational Equipment Room

When we moved around,I remember this place is on first floor.Where they have kept all navigational instruments used during olden days.Now also we use some of these tools but not all
    and all tools are kept nicely and explained how to use it.
    I think its long story to write it here.

Grimsby Fishing Heritage Center--1

Recruitment Room/Communication Equipment

After visiting "ROSS TIGER" I went to visit Fishing Heritage Center.Reception is really helpful on ground floor they have coffee-shop and we can also buy souvenir shop if we want purchase anything.Walking around this Heritage Center is very easy,here guide wont be coming with us to explain things instead we have to follow foot-step painted on the floor.And there are two floor i.e ground floor and first floor.Here we get to know how this town had been during its fishing activity days,now with no more fishing activity its only this Heritage center is left to tell saga of Grimsby and we get to know complete lifestyle of people and this town.

Main Picture--When we walk around,here we can find this room with all communication equipment use during old days and same place might have been used as employment office and just on the wall there we can find notice put for employment requirement that is second picture..Sailor need to have Port Record Book or some Temporary Regeistration.Now also we need to have all paperwork before boarding for employment.

Third Picture--Its Remmington Type Writer,I love these typerwriter we had typing as subject when I was in school and I ths typewriter is my favourite from those days.But now I never saw anyone using typewriter.

Fourth Picture--Typical Sailors Dress used on ship.

Fifth Picture--Miniature Model of Ship Used during old days.

Grimsby Fishing Heritage Center 7--ROSS TIGER

Wheel House

MAIN PICTURE-- At the end last stop is at Wheel House from where captain able to control vessel's movement.Its not like big ship where two or threee person required to do watch.Here only one person that is captain is enough to move around.And its not like new ship where its equipped with all modern gadgets.Here its all things are historic and I think that is true seamanship.Once during my college our lecturer used to tell us now he dont find brainy people in shipping industries.Now ship is run by gadgets not by brain.I think after visiting this vessel its absolutely true.

Second Picture--Here you see the sell of agreement between owner of vessel and Grimsby Fishing Heritage Center and the surprising thing about the sell-off of this vessel to this Heritage center is for just 1(one) pound yes its sold for just one pound and that one pound is also kept here not taken by owner of vessel.I think once the fishing activity was almost over then I think owner if he wanted to make money then could have sold this vessel for good money at scrap yard but instead he sold to this Heritage Center for future generation to know about fishing and those brave from same town they are living now.I think its a great gesture.

Third Picture--Its File Folder where they have kept certificate of old sailors.its like souvenir now.

Fourth Picture--In this picture at far end we are able to see bridge,Actually there are two bridge what here visible is the gate which can be lifted up and down for allow passage for vessel.Other gate which is not visible is built recently which is of rigid type as there is fishing activity left now so its not required to fold this bridge.But the surprising fact is even though there is no need to open or close this first bridge,this bridge is still in working condition and they had spent hell of money to make it operational just to preserve their fishing heritage.Which is really admirable

Fifth Picture--In this picture Propeller of "Ross Tiger" we can see.

Grimsby Fishing Heritage Center 5--ROSS TIGER

Accomodation Terrible for Humans

The first picture shows the accomodation of ordinary sailors.Its just one room shared by 4-6 sailors and bed of sailor as hard as wooden plank I cant even imagine how these guys slept on it even for few hours after tiring hardwork and no luxury of attached toilet or bathroom,there is just one toilet bathroom for everybody but I dont think they take bath for long because what they have onboard is what they carried before sailing.

And I am sure they dont want to waste water for taking bath everyday.Cabin of chief engineer and captain is lil larger but still like difficult to move around.I think in all these tough conditions all those who love doing what they do,only can think of going to sea.this job is not for everyone.

On the bunk there you will find name plate of those who might have sailed last on this vessels.

Second picture shows the year of its building,its built in 1957 so now its more than 50 years old but I am sure once if this will go to sea she will roar like lioness,she is so mesmerizing and ofcourse has power as hell.

Third picture shows their only so called bathroom with bathtub I am sure they might have used during any leisure time if there might have been any.

And fourth picture is their changing room but I am sure they might have been so tired after long hours of work that they might have been to bed without changing their cloths.All this trip is so real like this ship still in working condition and if guide is good then I am sure he will bring once a history just in front of you.

Grimsby Fishing Heritage Center 3--ROSS TIGER

Storing Catch from high sea

This is where they store their catch and its not real person they have put some statue of life size to show actual situation.All the catch is dropped from top and brought down here in store room and all the fish staked on one each other layering ice throughout to keep them in good condion.

This store room is just next to engine room of vessel apart from rough condition of sea,sailors has to bear the noise coming from engine room.All I can say after working for close to 18 hours in any day at sea makes them physically and mentally tired.

And on this kind of small vessel going to North Sea puts them on mercy of mother nature.Condition of sea during fishing period is as dangerous as walking on live mines.I mean with rough sea there is always possibility of falling,slip or trip and apart from all these working condition onboard,its really necessary to have attentive mind all the time.If you loose concentration for one second and there is possibility of danger infront of you next second.

Instant Answers: Grimsby

Comments

Grimsby Travel Guide

Grimsby Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Grimsby things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Grimsby sightseeing.