Broadstairs Nightlife

• Musicians, Wrotham Arms, Broadstairs, UK.
    Musicians, Wrotham Arms, Broadstairs,...
    by planxty
    Wrotham Arms, Broadstairs, UK.
    by planxty
  • Nightlife
    by Polly74

Most Recent Nightlife in Broadstairs

• planxty's Profile Photo

Wrotham Arms: A good live music spot.

by planxty Updated Aug 20, 2013

Wrotham Arms, Broadstairs, UK.

There are a number of places offering live music in Broadstairs and indeed the music scene in Thanet is very lively. I have a number of very good musician friends based in the area and I play there regularly myself and we have all, at one time or another, played in the Wrotham Arms pub. It was, in fact, the very first gig I ever played in Broadstairs rather more years ago than I care to remember.

The last landlady, Jenny, was a huge fan and supporter of live music and the current incumbent, Jackie, has enthusiastically taken up the baton. The Wrotham really is a great friend to music in the area and has given several aspiring musicians by giving them their first gigs. Musicians seem to respond to this and everyone always seems to give it a little bit extra in this venue. The enthusiastic and knowledgeable crowd always add to the experience.

The pub, originally the Wrotham Hotel, isn't probably the most acoustically brilliant place I have ever played but it never gets ridiculously loud in here and the atmosphere is always great. I have included a few images I have taken over the years of various bands (all friends) I have seen there and I apologise for the slight vanity of including myself alongside some great acts but I do have rather fond memories of playing there.

The attached website is the events page for the pub.

There is usually music on a Friday and Saturday night and the music policy varies greatly from folk to blues to reggae to just about anything you care to name. There is also an occasional Sunday evening session, open to all-comers, called the Woodshed. Check the website for details. I know the people who run it and musicians are made most welcome. It is always a great night. Of course, if you happen to be in town during the excellent Broadstairs Folk Week there is a full programme of music with booked acts lunchtime and evening and a very lively session in the afternoon.

I hope to see you there sometime!

Update August 2013.

I do like to keep my tips as up to date as I can and I can report that I have just returned from Folk Week which included a couple of visits to the Wrotham and a good chat with the landlady and I can confirm that live music is still very much in evidence in this establishment.

Dress Code: Smart casual.

• Beer Tasting
    • Wine Tasting
    • Music

• planxty's Profile Photo

Bradstow Mill: Lots of live music.

by planxty Updated Aug 20, 2013

Bradstow Mill, Broadstairs, Kent, UK.

For a relatively small place, there is plenty of nightlife round Broadstairs, probably to some extent a reflection of it's status as a holiday destination albeit that that is dying out somewhat. One place that has consistently supported live music over many years is the rather good Bradstow Mill pub at the top end of High Street, which is much more a locals place than a tourist venue as it is a little far from the seafront. I have actually played here myself during Folk Week, which the venue supports very well, although that is only one week in the year. I have even included photographic evidence and I apologise for the vanity but I couldn't resist it - I don't often get much advertising!

For the other 51 weeks, you won't be short of live music which takes place every weekend. There are live bands every Thursday and Saturday and Friday is karaoke night. I am not a huge fan of karaoke but they seem to take it very seriously with a hard core of singers who come every week. The musical policy for bands seems to tend towards rock and pop, although occasionally you will get a jazz style big band there. The standard is very good and I do know some of the musicians that play here.

Just to explain the remaining images, the duo playing are the excellent Jones Brothers and yes, I know Sam is a woamn! This was taken during Folk week 2012 during an excellent set. The final image is of the rather nice beer garden. If the music gets a bit much or even if you just want a cigarette, this is the place to go.

I definitely recommend the Bradstow as an excellent place to go for a weekend night out.

Update August 2013.

I do like to keep my tips as up to date as I can and I can report that I have just returned from Folk Week which included several visits to the Bradstow and a good chat with the landlord who is a mate. I can confirm that live music is still very much in evidence in this establishment with regular Saturday night bands. Should you fancy yourself as a budding Sinatra or Kylie, there is karaoke every Friday night.

Dress Code: Smart casual, no restriction on trainers. No headwear in the evenings (baseball caps etc.)

• Wine Tasting
    • Beer Tasting
    • Music

• bumpychick's Profile Photo

Broadstairs town: Not that sleepy!!

by bumpychick Written May 16, 2007

Broadstairs

There is PLENTY to do in Broadstairs in the evenings. There are loads of restaurants that certainly don't close at 8pm, offering a wide range of food. Many of the pubs have DJs playing music, and are really busy at weekends. Broadstairs offers a venue for every taste. It's easy to find a quite place to drink too. If you are after nightclubs, get on a bus at Queens Road (halfway up the HighStreet) and head to Margate, where you can party on until the early hours of the morning.

• diosh's Profile Photo

There is none apart from the 100 seat cinema!

by diosh Updated Nov 3, 2004

It's very quiet and peaceful at night.People stroll along the Prom or drink at the pubs in the town, of which there are many.
    The restaurants close early- so beware.They don't keep London times!Most are shut by 8.00p.m.!Early evening dinner is in order or a big lunch!

• Sailing and Boating

• diosh's Profile Photo

There is none apart from the 100 seat cinema!

by diosh Written Oct 15, 2004

The restaurants close early- so beware.They don't keep London times!Most are shut by 8.00p.m.!Early evening dinner is in order!

Instant Answers: Broadstairs

Comments

Broadstairs Nightlife

Reviews and photos of Broadstairs nightlife posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Broadstairs sightseeing.