Broadstairs Sports & Outdoors

Brown Jug pub, Broadstairs, Kent, UK.
    by planxty
  • Petanque Game, Brown Jug pub, Broadstairs, UK
    Petanque Game, Brown Jug pub,...
    by planxty

Most Recent Sports & Outdoors in Broadstairs

• planxty's Profile Photo

A little touch of France.

by planxty Updated Jun 8, 2012

I associate Broadstairs with many things, although sport is generally not one of them. They do have a decent rugby side in Thanet Wanderers but one sport you can watch or participate in is without overly exerting yourself. that of petanque / boules which seems to be very popular in Kent. I suppose it is the proximity to France where I believe the game originated. If you are not aware of it, I have posted the rules in the attached website. It is not dissimilar to lawn bowls in that the object is to get your boule nearest to a pre-positioned smaller ball called a jack, but in this case the boules are thrown into the air rather than rolled along the ground.

It is a very social game, often associated with pubs, and this is the setting I found it in at the absolutely excellent Brown Jug pub just outside Broadstairs. This is an absolute cracker of a place, totally traditional, which is why I went to visit it. What I didn't expect was the sizeable petanque pitch (if that is the correct word). Being the weekend, there was a game going on, and I was immediately offered a game, an offer I declined remembering my pathetic attempts at it in Southeast Asia although I spent a very pleasant afternoon watching and being guided through the finer points by a delightful local man.

If you want to watch the better players, the pub team plays in the East Kent League on a Tuesday evening in the summer (check if they are home or away first) although friendly games go on at the weekends and occasional evenings dependant on who is there.

Equipment: If you don't have your own boules, someone will lend you a set or there is a pub set you can borrow.

Brown Jug pub, Broadstairs, Kent, UK. Petanque Game, Brown Jug pub, Broadstairs, UK
    • Beer Tasting

Instant Answers: Broadstairs

Comments

Broadstairs Sports & Outdoors

Reviews and photos of Broadstairs sports & outdoors posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Broadstairs sightseeing.