Canterbury Restaurants

• leics's Profile Photo

The Westgate Inn: Wetherspoon's pub 1

by leics Written Jan 7, 2013

Westgate Inn

Directly opposite the Westgate Towers, a Medieval gateway to the city, and housed in a building which originates from the 1600s, this Wetherspoon's pub became my 'local' during my stay.

It's particularly comfy, with several different 'rooms' and armchairs as well as standard pub seating. There's also a small patio area, with heating and 'parasol' so smokers have somewhere to go: a nice touch and one which is always appreciated.

As with all Wetherspoon's pubs, staff are courteous and friendly. The range of guest real ales on draught was good and I much enjoyed trying out some unfamiliar ones. The menu is standard Wetherspoon's: edible food in sensibly-sized portions at very reasonable prices. Feeling lousy from a heavy cold, I decided to eat here every night before retiring early to my bed:

Night 1 (felt very rough): just a bowl of hot, crunchy chips
    Night 2: the 'manager's special' of roast turkey, veggies, roast potatoes, Yorkshire pudding and gravy..followed by sticky toffee pudding and custard. A bit 'school dinners' but perfectly edible and very comforting.
    Night 3: Chicken tikka masala with naan bread, poppadums and (horrible) mango chutney, plus free drink (I chose lemonade because I already had a beer on the go).

The bill for each meal, including half of whatever real ale I fancied, came to well below 10GBP and I think that is pretty good value.

I was particularly impressed that by my third night one of the female bar staff recognised me and started to chat: that's the sign of a very good 'local', imo. It's just a pity I don't live much nearer!

I noticed that the pub was quite busy throughout the day, with older people using it as a comfortable, warm place to relax, chat, read, have a beer or a coffee or a meal...and that by 6pm (when those who work in London were beginning to return) it was positively humming.

Well worth seeking out if you want reasonably-priced drinks and food in a good atmosphere.

• Singles
    • Seniors

• leics's Profile Photo

The Thomas Ingoldsby: Wetherspoon's pub 2

by leics Written Jan 7, 2013

Wetherspoon's is a reliable chain of pubs, each with its own very individual style but with the same well-kept (and reasonably-priced) beers (including draught real ales and guest beers) and the same menu of reasonably-priced, perfectly edible food (plus individual 'specials'). They have become very popular places throughout England.

'The Thomas Ingoldsby' is by Burgate, to the east of the Medieval city. It's not a particularly old building. It's named after 'Thomas Ingoldsby', author of 'The Ingoldsby Legends' and the pen name of one Richard Harris Barham who was born at 61 Burgate, along the road from the pub.

Seating is in a U-shape around the bar, with courteous and friendly staff, good coffee (which is what I had when I visited twice) and plenty of space. Wetherspoon's pubs are always child-friendly.

Definitely worth seeking out if you want reasonably-priced drink (alcoholic or not) and/or food in a convivial atmosphere. It's near the cathedral too: just turn left as you walk out through Christchurch Gate and keep walking towards Burgate.

• Singles
    • Seniors

• Simoncusonnet's Profile Photo

Posillipo: Nice but expensive

by Simoncusonnet Updated May 17, 2012

They have other 2 restaurants, in Broadstairs and Faversham. Nice place, with pizza in the wooden oven. We had lunch, and service was OK, but evrything is overpriced. A pizza 4 cheeses 9£ ... or a normal plate of Pasta 9£ as well..
    we had ravioli stuffed 12£ as m,ain course, they were way too few but good and I had chicken scallps at 12£ as well 3 of them, ok nothing special. Wine is ok 5£ 2 glasses of rose.

And the table was sticky !!! I think it was the product they use to clean it.

All together for 2 people 31£ that was way too much for what we ate !

Otherwise, service ok.

• Igraine's Profile Photo

Cafe Rouge: Brit with a french twist

by Igraine Updated Apr 4, 2011

This place was suggested by Natalie. The menu is French with an English twist or the other way around. Anyway I liked their food. Only downside to this place are the toilets who are on the top floor of this restaurant.
    They have a great outdoor terrace on the 1st floor.

Favorite Dish: Salade au Poulet et au Roquefort - starter: £6.25 main: £9.50
    Chargrilled chicken & bacon on a mixed leaf,
    pepper & red onion salad with crumbled Roquefort. One word "Yummy"

But the french onion soup and classic croque monsieur were very good eating too.

The Woolpack Inn, Chilham: Local cuisine in a picturesque village

by clairegeordio Updated Apr 4, 2011

The Woolpack is a traditional 15th century inn, 5 miles from Canterbury,serving as a hotel, pub and restaurant. It is located in Chilham, supposedly one of the most picturesque villages in Kent, however, I can't comment on that as i have only been here in the dark!
    It was a very welcoming place, with a vast open fireplace in the bar area and the restaurant has a rustic feel to it. The restaurant has been praised by national newspaper food writers!

Favorite Dish: I had the mussels (moules marinières) for a main course and they did a strawberry crème brulée for dessert, which is my all time favourite dessert. Many of the dishes, however, were more traditional, such as roast lamb, pork, steak and ale pie.

The Black Robin: Old fashioned country pub - delicious food

by clairegeordio Updated Apr 4, 2011

This lovely pub was built in the 18th or early 19th Century. It is named after the highwayman who was eventually caught and hanged. Apparantly it has a resident ghost.
    It has a really old fashioned, warm feel to the pub and is very nicely decorated, feeling like you are in someone's house!
    I have only eaten in the restaurant part of the pub - not the bar food yet.
    The restaurant food is quite expensive, with starters on average for about 5 GBP and main courses starting at 8.95 GBP, but are on average 13-15 GBP. I had goats cheese and sundried tomato pastry tart for starters and lasagne for main course, however, the lasagne was so large that I couldn't even manage half of it! The food was delicious though and I would return.

Grove Ferry Inn: Restaurant by the river

by clairegeordio Updated Apr 4, 2011

This restaurant is about 3 miles from the centre of Canterbury, in a place called Upstreet. It is situated on the banks of the River Stour. It was originally a coaching house dating back from 1831. The inn takes it's name after a ferry which was used to take people across the river stour. As well as being able to eat and drink here, you can also stay here as it has 6 bedrooms. Weddings can also be held here. My sister actually got married here in September 2004! So far, apart from the meal I had at the wedding (which was delicious!), I have only sampled the BBQ which was on a Sunday afternoon, which was ok.
    Is definitely worth a visit if it is a sunny day as you can sit on picnic tables or decking overlooking the river.

• whitecliff62's Profile Photo

THE MARLOWES: LOOKS VERY POPULAR

by whitecliff62 Updated Apr 4, 2011

MARLOWE'S RESTAURANT

Although we never ate at this restaurant, but everytime we went past it was packed to the rafters so that says to me that it must have a lot going for it, all those people can't be wrong can they. Itb also doubles up as a great cocktail bar, and guess what, you can even bring your own wine to drink

Favorite Dish: They are open all day and serve a wicked all day breakfast that fills the plate

• Beer Tasting

• dontdiet's Profile Photo

Green Thai: Thai to die for

by dontdiet Written Nov 30, 2010

This is probably the tastiest food you'll find at any price in Canterbury (and it isn't expensive). It's close to where I live, and I eat here again and again.

Don't be put off by the unexciting location in a 1950s/60s building on the city's main ring road. Firstly, it easily accessible from the city centre (opposite the bus station, via an underpass); second, it's rather drab exterior, conceals a little Thai oasis, complete with interior pond and waterfall.

And the food is really fabulous. The owner comes from North East Thailand and the menu reflects this, with lots of regional specialities including (my favourite), a hot carrot and peanut salad laced with generous quantities of chilli (Som Tam); and a signature beef dish (Tiger Cry), made with succulent cuts of beef. There are lots of curry and noodle dishes too - all of them cooked to perfection. Even the thai-style prawn crackers are the best I've ever tasted.

Thai lager is on offer as are a range of wines, including a surprisingly good Thai - red - wine.

The service is fast, friendly and efficient. without being brisk. You never feel that there is any pressure to leave the restaurant and make way for other diners, unlike some other places I could mention in Canterbury....The owner will often stop and chat.

Highly recommended.

Favorite Dish: Som Tam - carrot and peanut salad. But not for the fainthearted - it is very hot - also amazingly fresh, like all the dishes I have tried on the menu.

• Business Travel

• mimi9877's Profile Photo

West Cornwall Pasty: Pies, pies and more pies!!!

by mimi9877 Written Nov 14, 2010

Breakfast, lunch and dinner. A fast food place but lots of traditional British pies to choose from. I enjoyed a snack and a coffee there and really enjoyed it. It is located on one of the main shopping streets.

• mimi9877's Profile Photo

Buttermarket: Lovely, Charming, good food/beer

by mimi9877 Written Nov 14, 2010
    selection of traditional pies

Someone recommended this restaurant to me and I am glad they did. There are lots of great places to eat in Canterbury but this one has great ambiance, food, and ales. The staff was relatively friendly. Dont forget to order your food and drink at the bar because waitresses do not come to the table.

Favorite Dish: I had the Sausage and Mash with onion rings and I was not disappointed at all. It was great and filling! My friends recommended the fried mushrooms, steak, fish and chips and the shepards pie as well.

• Azouma Resturant: Charming in a special way

by Metta-first Written Dec 14, 2009

There are different types of food from different parts of the middle east. I find it unbelievably delecious food, in a different style. I have now different ideas about how special is this cuisine. The food is cooked very well, and interestingly is cooked as home-cooked food.
    The atmosphere gave me a chilled feelings, which made me very relaxed in a charming way. I basically loved sitting in low chairs, with lots of coshons on the sofa, and surrounded by low lights and candles. When entring the place, I smelled something nice, takes me straight away to stories and tales of the past in Arabia.
    Moreover, drinking beers and wines from middle east is amazing, no wonder these places are very mysterious. as they surprised me with the nice food and welcoming atmosphere.

Favorite Dish: I loved the Mezza which is many portions of dips and 'tapas'. It is basically the starters. Also the fish ' samaka hurra' which is cooked by 'a lebanese-syrian way' was amazing and tasty.

• Adventure Travel

• Landotravel's Profile Photo

Prezzo: Good rate quality/prize

by Landotravel Written Sep 17, 2009

It's an italian restaurant, indeed!

An italian restaurant inside one of these ancient houses? Ok, this is Canterbury. Every business is inside a medieval buiding in the very center of the city so....why not?

Prizes seemed to be good and hunger was great so there was no time to loose. And it was worthy! The place was clean, comfortable and nice. The WC was clean too and well equipped. And the food was good in size, good in taste, good in service.

We got out with the pleasure of having discovered a fine place to have lunch in Canterbury...despite it was not english food!

• TheLongTone's Profile Photo

The Olymbos Coffee Lounge: A lifesaver

by TheLongTone Written Aug 24, 2009

Lord, the food at Kings was grim. Weeks-nay, months- would pass without anything approacing the edible being offered. And no, I wasn't being precious. I remember the food at my prep school was, semolina and a disgusting cheese flan aside, pretty good.

So let's hear it for the Olymbos Coffee Lounge, whose excellent egg and chips were probably the only hot food I ate for weeks at a time.

Favorite Dish: Egg and chips.

• Caffe Venezia: An affordable, quality restaurant in canterbury!

by worc1107 Updated Jul 28, 2008

Great tasting Italian-influenced cuisine, bohemian decor, charming staff, unmatched ability to cater for large groups in central Canterbury

Favorite Dish: My favourite dish is Moussaka: - obviously freshly made with quality ingredients, nicely seasoned with a generous garnish salad.

A great selection of Specials including sumptuous fish-cakes last time I visited!

Instant Answers: Canterbury

Comments

Canterbury Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Canterbury restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Canterbury sightseeing.