Did you mean?Try your search again
Kent, jointly with Sussex, is believed to be the birthplace of cricket with Kent being one of the eighteen county clubs that make up the English and Welsh structure, Kent County Cricket Club first came into existence in 1842 this club later merged with Beverley Kent Cricket Club in 1870 and used Canterbury as their headquarters.
Nickname: Kent Spitfires (Limited Overs)
Written Aug 13, 2012
Address: St Lawrence Ground, Old Dover Road, Canterbury
Phone: +44 (0) 1227 473 612
Chatham Ski Centre is the closest year-round one to London (O2 does do a ski slope, but it's Christmas only), so this is where I went when I realised the Christmas skiing break was around the corner, and I have never tried even putting boots on.
The slope is artificial, not snow, but that means it's usable all-year round. For those who can do snowplough turns, there is a possibility to do open practice on the slope. For novices, there are lessons, both groups and private. Having taken a private lesson, I've found charges very reasonable (GBP 49 per hour for a one-person private lesson), and the quality of instruction very good. In just over an hour, I moved from being unable to ski to doing linked snowplough turns, meaning I could get down some kind of a slope without falling over. They will also teach you basic safety rules and how to use the lifts, as well as help with equipment questions.
For the slope, ski hire is included in the price.
To keep in mind:
- Signage is not very good, hence it's easy to miss the entrance, especially if you're not driving from Chatham itself
- Being artificial, the slope is very abrasive, so even if you have your own skis, better use the hire ones.
Equipment: Bring gloves, and a ski suit, everything else is lent to you on the spot
Written Nov 5, 2011
At Shirkoak Farm they have built 2.5 acres of lake, where they have over 10,000 fish, recently stocked wth seven different types of fish! The B&B is currently closed, as they have a break and focus on the fishing lake.
This is located in Woodchurch, next to Tenterden, and is a father and son-in-law team that run it.
Equipment: You dont really need to take much with you. You can hire all the equipment at the farm itself. You do need to take your own wellies, rain gear, camping equipment etc if you plan to stay overnight, but should you need a rod, bait etc., they can provide that all for you.
Updated Apr 4, 2011
Address: Shirkoak Farm, Woodchurch, Nr. Ashford, Kent, TN26
Phone: +44 (0)1233 860056
The Academy Par 3 course is an excellent place if you are a beginner in the game:
- Short holes (maximum of about 185 yards), so you won't spend all the day trying to get the end of a monster 500-yard hole. Also only 9 holes, which is easier to handle when you're only starting out
- Challenging: a rather steep and nasty - but thankfully short - first hole (gave me nightmares!) and a water hazard (a pond in normal English : ) ) later on in the game on the 6th hole. Can also play two rounds to get a feel for an 18-hole game
- Scenic: in an apple orchard of all places (and no, I did not try the apples :) )
- Pretty much empty - so you're not holding up other people's play which would be a great discourtesy in the game
- Easy to book: you can book a tee time online from 7am to about 6pm each day, or you can just roll up and play
- Cheap (for a round of golf): one round of 9 holes is about GBP 10, with two rounds and 18 holes at GBP 12.50
Equipment: You can bring your own set or hire the clubs on the spot, along with a buggy or your own personal Segway to get around
Updated Oct 6, 2010
Address: Brickfield Lane, Boughton, nr Faversham, ME13 9AJ
Found out that Gillingham FC had a pre season friendly match on whilst i was staying nearby.
Needing my football fix i went along to the Priestfield Stadium in Gillingham and took in the match versus Barnet FC.
Enjoyed a pint in the pub underneath the main stand before the game, the 'Blues Hard Rock Cafe' or something along those lines.
Tidy enough little ground, half re-developed.
Written Aug 31, 2005
Address: Priestfield Stadium, Redfearn Road, Gillingham
Phone: 01634 300000
Falstaff Hotel Canterbury Canterbury
2 Reviews and 276 Opinions I wanted a hotel within easy walking distance of the cathedral and the town centre, somewhere which...
Premier Inn Dover - West Dover
1 Review and 190 Opinions This was the first time we'd stayed at a Premier Inn and we were impressed. At check-in the...
Grand Burstin Hotel Folkestone
5 Reviews and 1209 Opinions We stayed for one night-prior to taking the Eurotunnel to Calais. On check in we were told that our...