Tunbridge Wells Restaurants

The start of a busy Saturday evening
    by crazyman2
    the only empty table is ours!
    by crazyman2
    Just about to start on the main course

Most Recent Restaurants in Tunbridge Wells

• crazyman2's Profile Photo

Junahki: Indian cuisine

by crazyman2 Updated Nov 13, 2012

The start of a busy Saturday evening

With a comprehensive and varied menu, this restaurant is a treat for couples, families and friends.
    It's about a 15 minutes walk/£4.50 taxi fare from the main station and it's located on the A26 St.John's Road, opposite the local Sainsbury's store. There is a large public car park next to the restaurant.
    In recent months it has been extended and reburbished.
    The serving staff are friendly and courteous, the music is a mix of slow and faster Indian ---although you'll be unlikely to hear, say, Ravi Shastri.
    You may eat at a ground floor table or you may prefer to eat downstairs.

There are many Indian restaurants in West Kent ----there must be 5 or 6 in Tunbridge Wells alone! However, people come far and wide to enjoy the food here.
    I guess that we go there about 15 times a year: we take family members and friends; often we just go by ourselves. Of course, if we eat there on a Friday or a Saturday we need to book ahead.

There is a take-away option ---but I prefer the experience of being there.

Favorite Dish: For me, I tend to have settled for this, partly because I have a life-threatening nut allergy and partly because I love the flavours and aromas.

Starter: Hariyali Tikka
    Pieces of chicken breast marinated in yoghurt, mint, coriander and green chillies.

Main: Nawabi kazana
    Marinated breast of chicken roasted with delicate spices then cooked in a South Indian style tomato and tamarind sauce. I have plain rice, plain nan bread and cauliflower bhaji with this.

Pud: Cool Mint ice cream

To drink: wine, cobra beer and a Benedictine

Mmmm...I'm feeling so hungy writing this!

Mount Edgcumbe: Also highly recommended

by ChrisnJan Updated Apr 4, 2011

Set on the common just off Mount Ephraim this is a very nice bar/restaurant/hotel. The staff are friendly and efficient and the food is excellent. The menu is a la carte and quite varied although it could be a bit expensive if you are on a budget, but if you are going to break your budget you could do a lot worse than here. The actual bar area is small and partly dugout from the natural rock on which the place was built. There is a large garden with plenty of seating out back where George and I can often be found on Saturday lunchtime if the weathers nice, well it’s a lot to ask for George to get all the way around the common without a little break halfway.
    Sunday night is Fajita night, and very good value it is too. £11.95 for Fajita's for two, there are sufficient portions and they are very good.

Favorite Dish: Fajita's

• themajor's Profile Photo

JULIET'S: WHEREFORE ART THOU? THE HIGH STREET!

by themajor Updated Sep 27, 2010
    Yummy - but not just for yummy mummys

An excellent café/bistro with more than it's fair share of 'yummy mummy' clientele, Juliet's is a recent addition to Tunbridge Wells but seems to be making it big time with the 'ladies who lunch'. The food is as delightfully well-heeled as the people eating it. Basically you pay a set price for one of three options - a meat, fish or vegetarian main course - and this is served in varying sizes depending upon how much you pay. My wife for example had a lovely fig and parma ham salad whereas I has stuffed chicory baked in a rather lovely sauce. The fact that I normally run a mile from the bitter stuff shows you how brave I was. The fact that I ate it shows how nice it was.

The choices change daily but the cakes and desserts seem to stay enormous. Just how I like it! But please note that at the time of writing this review Juliet's is a mornings and afternoons café NOT an evening dinner venue.

A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME: PLEASANT SANDWICH BAR

by themajor Updated Jul 1, 2008

Fry ups and sarnies?

I simply couldn't resist this particular photo opportunity. I like the idea that any sandwich bought within the confines of this eatery is automatically a pleasant one irrespective of whether or not that's actually the case. The name you see refers to it's location 'Mount Pleasant Road' rather than any Egon Ronay or Les Routiers guarantee. I can't say I've eaten here mainly because whenever I fancy a fry up I automatically head for the Calverley Grounds Café just over the road. But it might be brilliant and worthy of an excellent bacon sarny!

The Calverley Grounds Café: A (TASTY) CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK

by themajor Written Jun 21, 2008

Idyllic chip eating

There is a species of eatery here in the United Kingdom which is known to all and sundry as the 'greasy spoon café. Though it hardly sounds encouraging, it refers to single owner establishments with little in the way of fancy decor, plain functional furniture, tomato sauce on the tables and - if you are lucky - offering a splendid array of fried and un-calorie conscious food known to the cognescenti for miles around. Well this is such a place - and the 'fry-ups' are excellent!

Hard to picture it I know, but whenever I'm in Tunbridge Wells I can often be found bow tied and moustache waxed as per usual, sitting at this café, taking in the park gardens beyond whilst tucking into a big plateful of sausage egg and chip with a piping hot mug of tea alongside me. It's great. Really. The chips are amongst the very best I've ever tasted. Obviously autumn/winter spuds are best for chipping but you'd have to be unlucky to get a bad fry up here. So when the chips are down - grab 'em!

The original pavilion in which the first refreshment area was situated was in fact destroyed by a bomb during the second world war - this is not an optical illusion, this one is the rebuilt version!

Favorite Dish: Sausage egg and chips.
    Bacon egg and chips.
    Sausage bacon egg and chips.
    Chips.
    More chips.
    And some bread and butter.
    And brown sauce and tomato sauce.
    Simple soothing fare!

• themajor's Profile Photo

THE CHALYBEATE SPRING: WATER, WATER EVERYWHERE (AND SADLY LOTS TO DRINK)

by themajor Updated Jun 21, 2008

HOW L'EAU CAN YOU GO?

I have broken my Golden Rule of multiple tip making for the simple reason that 1) this deserves a culinary paragraph or two as water is apparently now an epicurean delight and 2) I really thought you chaps needed to take a look at the refreshing envigorating nectar on offer. (Note however that this is not a duplicated tip in any way, shape or form!)

Firstly take note that this is not a restaurant as such. There is no food on sale nor is there anywhere to sit. It does however serve a type of 'liquid lunch'...one type. Now please cast any thoughts of sexily styled 'bouteilles de l'eau' from your delicate minds. Adieu Evian, push off Perrier! This is water at it's earthy best - literally. Frankly I'd go for it. Don't be a coward! Ignore that reddish tinge! Where else can you enjoy such a character building experience? Pop along during the Summer months and pay the costumed 'dipper' to serve you a glass and just think of all the good it's doing you. Then rush off and patch up your palate with some comforting tea and buns...

• themajor's Profile Photo

GRACELANDS PALACE - NOW CLOSED!!!: GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

by themajor Updated Apr 21, 2008

WOK AND ROLL?

I often walked past this restaurant on my way to the antiquarian bookshops which I scoured nearby. As my wife likes neither chinese food nor musty old bookshops, I willingly passed on the former in order to frequent the latter. I could only guess at the quality of the food on offer. But frankly, I hardly think that's the point. If you are going to a restaurant which features an oriental Elvis impersonator, you are unlikely to be a representative of the Michelin Guide. Undoubtedly the photograph was promising, and as long as the 'Love me' was 'tender', the nature of the shredded beef would have been an afterthought. But alas Gracelands Palace is no more! Even so I just didn't have the heart to remove the tip, so here it lies as a lasting memorial. Elvis and his deep fried pork balls have left the building...

Favorite Dish: Anything which doesn't have diamonte in it...

• Study Abroad

Zizzi: Pasta/Pizza Chain

by ChrisnJan Updated Jan 30, 2008

A very nice place, the restaurant is comfortable, the staff are friendly and efficient, and the food is very good and reasonably priced.

We have eaten here a few times and have always enjoyed our meal, the service certainly seems consistant.

• PeteG's Profile Photo

Zar Indian Restaurant: Sunday buffet lunch - oh yes!

by PeteG Written Nov 6, 2007

I have always found the food at Zar is really tasty and good value. Compared to other Indian restaurants in the area it is average/reasonably priced - that said I actually think it is one of the best.

It is decorated in a modern and contemporary way. Very clean with a smart looking bar.

On Sundays, as with many Indian restaurants, they have an "all you can eat buffet". This is brilliant value and the selection of starters and main courses available is extensive. They will cook you anything from their menu (except fish dishes) if it is not already done. It is £9.99 for adults and £4.99 for children.

The management and staff are very friendly and have a very good memory of customers. They are also extremely honest. My friend dropped the entire contents of her handbag on the floor in there one night. She thought she had picked everything up and when we she got home realised she must have missed her keys. We went back and they had the keys saved in an envelope, along with £40 in cash that she didn't even know she had dropped.

The first time I ate there was with a small group of friends. The owner knew it was our first visit and just said "order whatever you want and I'll do it for a fixed price". He is often recommending different dishes that I perhaps wouldn't ordinarily choose and I haven't had a bad one yet.

Favorite Dish: Although I really like quite spicey food, my favourite main course at Zar is quite mild but fantastically flavoured. I recommend you try the Chicken Handi Biryani. The spices are beautiful and it comes cooked in a pot with its own naan bread baked on the top as a lid. It won't kill you with heat and is a favourite of mine and my children.

As a side dish, why not try the Paneer Jalfrezi. It is a hot onion, pepper, chilli and tomato source on top of Indian cottage cheese. It sounds unusual but it great!

The George & Dragon - Speldhurst: All local - organic

by PeteG Written Nov 4, 2007

The George & Dragon at Speldhurst

The building itself is several hundred years old, with some parts of it dating back a lot further. There are 3 main areas to dine in - including the Buttery and and the main dining area upstairs which is all old beams and vaulted ceiling. Beautiful place to eat and in the colder months the real fire warms you up.

The restaurant was opened with the idea that everything if possible would be organic and bought directly from local farmers within a small radius. The result is excellent. It is probably my favourite restaurants anywhere and the food is brilliant.

They keep and good choice of local beers which are well worth a try.

The staff are excellent and friendly and you will have to go a long way to beat the George & Dragon.

Favorite Dish: Without doubt for me it is the Pork Belly. It is cooked superbly - the meat is succulent, and the crackling crackles! It comes in a great source with lovely veg.

The Hare - Langton Green: Great food - extensive menu

by PeteG Written Nov 4, 2007

The Hare at Langton Green

The food at The Hare is excellent quality. The menu changes each day and I would estimate that there is normally 10 starters, and 20 different main courses to choose from. Some restaurants try to be overly fussy with food, and a couple of the dishes my fall into that category, but I have always found it to be first class.

I went there last night with 9 friends, and between us we had probably 7 different main courses. Everyone commented on how good their meal was - so I take that as a pretty high success rate.

The wine list is extensive, and if you like a whisky, the bar seems to stock just about everyone I have ever heard of, and many more I haven't heard of.

The staff are very friendly and efficient. There are plenty of tables, both inside and outside overlooking the green to the rear - but I would stongly advise booking for Friday and Saturday nights.

Favorite Dish: I like the lamb dishes. They serve several different cuts of lamb and each one is very prepared, with great sources and vegetables.

Also, if you are really hungry, go along for Sunday lunch and go for the Mixed Roast. The time I had that it seemed to have about 6 slices of lamb and the same of Beef. I didn't eat again until Monday lunchtime! Beautifully cooked as well.

The Black Horse: Best seafood in Tunbridge Wells area

by ChrisnJan Updated Aug 4, 2007

This place is a couple of miles from Tunbridge Wells town centre, in the village of Pembury, and not easy to reach by public transport but worth visiting if you can. The menu is extensive and the food is very good. In my opinion the seafood dish's are the best you will find in and around Tunbridge Wells. You can eat in the restaurant or the pub, the same menu applies in both.
    The food is a bit more expensive than the town centre, but worth it every now and then for a seafood treat.

Favorite Dish: Paella

Dim-T: Oodles of Noodles

by ChrisnJan Updated Nov 26, 2006

A very smart restaurant, with clean and smart decor. The menu has a good selection including a range of Dim Sum soups, curries, stir fry's and salads. Also a noodle bar allows you to mix-n-match to create your own noodle dish. We have been here twice now and both times we have thoroughly enjoyed the food and have been impressed with the very friendly and efficient staff. Providing that you like chocolate, then the deserts are to die for, if you don't like chocolate then don't even bother with the sweet menu.

Definately worth a visit!

The Barn: Highly recommended

by ChrisnJan Updated Oct 31, 2006

The Barn is a restaurant upstairs and a very popular pub/bar downstairs. We have eaten here many times over the years and I honestly cannot remember complaining once. They serve a variety of Mediterranean inspired meals. The bar downstairs gets very busy at weekends, but I will always call in if we're in town for a night out. The restaurant is very good value for money, they offer set price menu's which include quite a lot of their al-a-carte meals.

The only down points are, the drinks can be quite expensive and the bar downstairs get's very smokey.

Favorite Dish: Cajun Chicken

The Bull: Non-smoking bistro pub

by ChrisnJan Updated Oct 21, 2006

Excellent food, a varied menu, a very nice ambience, non-smoking throughout and friendly staff. Great value for money, this is one of our favorite pub/restaurant's in the Tunbridge Wells area. Make sure you book in advance, this is a very popular place with the locals, especially at weekends.

Favorite Dish: All of them

Instant Answers: Tunbridge Wells

Comments

Tunbridge Wells Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Tunbridge Wells restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Tunbridge Wells sightseeing.

View all Tunbridge Wells hotels