The graves are so numerous - since its opening in 1864 over 100,000 internments have taken place, 8,000 of which where in the first 10 years.
Here's just one that caught my eye for its detail on the headstone.
The two main chapels - Church of England on the right hand side of the tower and Noncomformists on the left - are listed buildings. They were last used in 1975 and its a shame to see them in such a state of disrepair but in many respects its gives it an air of poignant charm.
Originally known as Bidston Court, Hillbark House originally stood near the urban farm in 1891, built for soap manufacturer Robert Hudson. Designed by Edward Oult, who also designed houses in Port Sunlight Village, it was inspired by 16th century Little Moreton Hall in Cheshire. It was moved and re-built at Royden Park between 1921 and 1931.
It is not open to the public but is a hotel and conference centre. However you can ring to make an appointment to view the building.
Set in 26 acres of landscaped gardens containing a great variety of memorial architecture with inscriptions relating to events both local and world-wide it makes an interesting and different way to study Birkenhead and Wirral's social history. From large family vaults to public graves all levels of society are buried there.
Guided walks and self guided trails are available for many different interests - leaflets available at the urban farm.
if this is not for you then the trees (many rare species) having identifying labels and other interesting shrub areas make for a pleasant stroll.
Flaybrick Cemetery (just opposite Tam O'Shanter urban Farm) is Wirral's finest Victorian cemetery. Opened on the 30th May 1864 it is the final resting place of many of Wirral's famous and interesting people.
The church is now derelict, sad and forlorn with rails around to guard from the danger of the building collapsing. A walk through the cemetry though with many species of trees is quite poignant.