Birkenhead Restaurants

by Strawberry_Pinstripe

Most Recent Restaurants in Birkenhead

• Villa Venezia: Left Starving

by emer78 Written Sep 9, 2008

I went to this restaurant with my boyfriend and another couple, and couldn't be more disappointed. We were advised that we did not need to book. We arrived at 7.30pm and were advised our table would be ready at 8-8.15pm and that we should go and get a drink at the local pub, which we were happy to do. Upon returning at 8pm, we were asked to go and get a drink at the bar by another member of staff who did not appear to know anything about our table. Whilst we sat at the bar with a drink we watched other parties who had entered the restaurant after us being sat at their tables. Finally at 9pm we asked when we were going to be seated and our table was magically available. We were sat up in the corner, the table hadn't been made and after another 30 minutes of waiting for someone to come and take our order (as well as watching poeple around us being asked what they would like for dessert), we finally decided to leave and go elsewhere. I can't believe we waited for that long. As we were leaving, we got big smiles and a 'thank you for coming'!!!!! We will not be recommending this place to anyone.

Villa Venezia/Venezia Pizzeria: Lovely Italian with great view

by SueWarwick Updated Mar 18, 2007

I have visited this restaurant several times and have never been disapointed.
    It opened in 1985 and has become one of Wirral's most popular Italian restaurants.
    To the left of the restaurant is a car park but on busy nights you may strugle to find a spot there and will have to fnd somewhere along the road which doesn't have resident parking restrictions.
    Mondays are usually the quieter nights.
    The service in this family run restuarant is friendly and attentive .
    The Villa Venezia also has 8 en-suite bedrooms

Favorite Dish: I've never had a bad meal here. Last visit was seafood pancake for starters (around £6), garlic bread (one order is enough for three people) and macceroni with Italian sausage (about £7)
    There is a good choice of pizza and pasta, all reasonably priced. The restaurant also serves several meat and fish dishes. Look out also for the specials board.
    There is a sample menu on their web site.

Kerala Kitchen: Cheap Tasty Curry

by SueWarwick Written Sep 5, 2006

This restuarant had not been open long when I visited and it was apparent the staff where still finding their feet.
    The South Indian Dishes however are very nice especially at the price (main meals start at around £3.50)
    The staff are friendly although service was a bit on the slow side (I put this down to the fact it is a new restuarant)

The restuarant was full at 8pm on the night I visited which must mean they are doing something right !!

Favorite Dish: The free welcome starter was a tandoori papad, similar to a popadom rolled in to a cone shape. This came with a couple of dips/pickles
    I started with prawn pakoda, several battered prawn served with salad and dip.
    Main course was a hotchilli beef - you specify how how you want your curry when ordering - a good (and simple) idea! I also ordered vegetable rice and a garlic bread.
    All were very nice.
    The restaurant have a good range of desert but after all that food I just ordered a coffee.

• Strawberry_Pinstripe's Profile Photo

Regentville, Birkenhead: All You Can Coronary

by Strawberry_Pinstripe Updated Apr 1, 2005
    Eat Here And Die

I am always suspicious of all you can eat Chinese buffets, especially those where no Chinese people are eating. There is always a reason for this, but as my mother in law frequents this restaurant and it was her birthday off we all went to Regentsville in Birkenhead, All You Can Eat for ?7.50. Are you joking? i couldn't eat any of it, and for ?7.50 I could have had a lovely meal at the Curry Garden in Hoylake.

To start off with the chicken and sweetcorn soup was an MSG, salt, sugar and additive stew, of a unnautrally bright yellow colour and i've seen more chicken in an unfertilised egg. The hot and sour soup slightly better, but also full of salt and sugar, and to make up for the lack of real flavour the chef had obviously just tipped a bucket of chilli into the pot, making it almost inedible.

The main courses were a joke, everything was fried, and everything that wasn't fried was deep fried, and battered. There were deep fried crab sticks in batter, obviously an ancient chiniese delicacy of reformed fish protien. Deep fried onion rings in batter, deep fried ribs in salt and pepper batter, deep fried seaweed, deep fried vegetables in batter, deep fired banana fritters and of course chips. For a little variety, there were some loose attempts at real Chinese dishes, the egg foo yong was a sorry scrambled egg mess, swimming in grease. The noodles were, you guessed it, fried and oily, in a sugary, MSG laden, radioactive looking bright red sauce. The sweet and sour pork was mainly batter in a similarly radioactive sauce, and the king prawns were fried in batter with their shells on, so to eat them you not only had to peel of their shells, but the batter as well. Just as well with all the cholesterol probably contained in it.

Favorite Dish: I could go on, an I already have, but I would not recomend anyone eat there, ever, unless a freak plauge of rats had wiped out all other food sources, or a fire had devastated the food stocks of the north west. Its cheap, but there's cheaper and better food elsewhere. You'll do yourself no favours eating this coronary inducing rubbish.

The sui mai was ok, but anyone can buy a packet from the Chinese supermarket and boil them yourself at home to exactly the same standard as these were cooked to. And there was no chilli sauce to eat them with.

The jelly was ok too, but how wrong can you go making jelly from a packet?

All the local diners in there from Birkenhead and surrounding areas looked happy enough to get stuck in, as were my inlaws, but this food was SERIOUSLY unhealthy, and if you do eat there, please don't have,
    All You Can Eat!!!!!

• Business Travel

Spice: Great Take-Away!

by SueWarwick Written Sep 9, 2004

After my oven blew up, had to take drastic measures, ie take-aways and restaurants for dinners!
    This take-away is abot 3 miles from home but it is well worth the trip, recently winning awards for its food, value for money and the service

Favorite Dish: The Murgh Nawabi 2 succulent pieces of chicken on the bone in a rich spicy/tomato/fennel sauce and under a fiver
    Lovely and very filling!
    Prawn chat lovely too

All portions are very generous!!

Instant Answers: Birkenhead

Comments

Birkenhead Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Birkenhead restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Birkenhead sightseeing.