Liverpool Restaurants

Most Recent Restaurants in Liverpool

• 43beckos's Profile Photo

Panoramic 34: Stunning Views and great food

by 43beckos Written Feb 12, 2014

Visited here for a family birthday in January and have to say we thoroughly enjoyed our time here.

The views over Liverpool were stunning and we were lucky enough to be able to see the city in daylight, at sunset and then as the night time took over.

But this is a restaurant not a tourist attraction, so what about the food.

Well that was equally as good, we all opted for the Sirloin of beef ( well it was Sunday lunchtime) and it was delicious, as were all of the accompaniments. Roast potatoes exactly how they should be, crispy on the outside, soft and fluffy inside.

Cheesboard for desert put the top on the meal nicely.

Staff were very attentive without being over the top and were all very friendly.

Bar prices were a bit steep, but then again for a location like this ( which until the Shard was opened in London was the UK's highest restaurant) i suppose it is only to be expected.

Will definitely be visiting here again

Favorite Dish: The sirloin Sunday roast is delish

• Airpunk's Profile Photo

The Philharmonic Dining Rooms: Old Gentleman's Club meets Chain Pub

by Airpunk Written Oct 14, 2013
    The Philharmonic Dining Room, Liverpool

Definitively, one of the better chain pubs and surely one of the best ornate. It is located in a former Gentleman's Club which has been preserved in all its Edwardian glory. On the ground floor, it is a bar which has since ever been popular with concert goers. Its wooden panels and the stylish rooms give this place a really classic flair. Be aware that it can become pretty full. The audience is usually in their thirties and forties and rather the classic music lover than the Liverpool FC fan. Good choice of ales.
    Upstairs, there is a dining room – kept in a similarly classy way but with brighter colours and a more relaxed atmosphere. That's the place where you get food while downstairs is the place for drinks only. No surprises on the menu. The food was good, but not different from any other Nicholson's Pub.
    The place is called “The Phil” by the locals and is located in a Grade II* listed building. Outside, note the art nouveau iron gate.

• spidermiss's Profile Photo

Pizza Hut: Cheap and Cheerful!

by spidermiss Updated Oct 13, 2013
    Pizza Hut on Charlotte Street, Liverpool

I like Pizza Hut as you can get a filling meal for such a reasonable price. I wanted to have an inexpensive meal before getting my train home so I chose to go to this restaurant.

I'm very familiar with the restaurant and had a good idea what I wanted to order. I had a friendly server who I was able to have a chat with when she took my order and paying my bill.

Favorite Dish: I had a signature lasagne with garlic bread which I thoroughly enjoyed along with the salad with the meal was complimentary. The meal cost me 11.30 gbp (August 2011) including a soft drink.

• Airpunk's Profile Photo

Ma Boyle's: Good old Liverpool pub

by Airpunk Written Oct 11, 2013
    Ma Boyle's, Liverpool

Conveniently located pub with a handful of ales as well as the usual lagers. As it is not in a typical restaurant area and may be missed by tourists, you will mostly see businessmen after work. This means also: No drunken youngsters. Ma Boyle's is a traditional pub with old-school atmosphere and sports on the telly.

The menu looked fine, but I stayed with ale the time we went there. However, it has some dishes which are usually not found on a pub menu and a decent choice of simple seafood dishes.

I liked the place, but want to see, if it gets livelier in the evening.

Barburrito: Great Burritos!

by spidermiss Updated Mar 23, 2013
    Barburrito at Liverpool One

We went to Barburrito on our first night in Liverpool. We order burritos with tortilla chips. Mine was with flash fried vegetables with pico de galo. I thoroughly enjoyed my burritto and it was very filling. I look forward to returning to a Barburrito in the not too distant future.

The cost came around 8 gbp (March 2013) (including bottomless soda).

H Coffee and Bar: Great Hot Chocolate and Flat Whites

by spidermiss Updated Mar 23, 2013
    Inside H and Coffee Bar

We paid a visit to this spacious cafe for drinks and also to wait for one of our friends who wanted to look round the Beatles Exhibition in the same building complex.

Favorite Dish: My friends and I had Flat White Coffees and Hot Chocolates at this cafe inside the ferry terminal building.

I ordered a medium hot chocolate and it came around about 2.50 gbp (March 2013). I remember the server wasn't very friendly but it was nice to enjoy our drinks in the warmth as it was very cold that day.

• Mellomello: The perfect antidote

by socheid Written Mar 18, 2013

This bohemian place is a real gem on so many levels.

Firstly it is independent and non profit, somewhat ironically when it is located so close to Liverpool's ultimate temple to consumerist profit, Liverpool 1 shopping centre. A few years ago this place was disused and but since has been built up (and continues to built up further) to what it is today. As well as the food kitchen, there is a marvelously stocked bar with local specialities and booze of the world that you don't find every day in Liverpool bars. There are also regular events in the back room from jazz, punk, folk music nights etc to stand up comedy - see website for the listing of events.

Since around 2010/11 there are full time kitchen staff (previously the food menu was only soup, sandwiches, etc). The menu in here is imaginative offering a variety of very reasonably priced all vegetarian dishes. Other speciality diets are accommodated such as vegan (almost all the food is either vegan by default or can be prepared as vegan) and gluten free. Every few months the menu undergoes a revamp with somethings dropping off to be replaced by new innovations. The kitchen is open for breakfast, lunch and early evening meals. After the kitchen closes, the bar stays open til at least midnight (later on Fri & Sat) and as well as serving drinks, still sells sandwiches, cakes salads etc.

The soup and the curry of the day change daily. They are usually both excellent. It is interesting to see that on the menu board the lasagne is now listed as 'marry me lasagne' after someone asked the chef to marry him because he enjoyed the lasagne so much. There's a bunch of other stuff on there I haven't seen anywhere else (eg quinoa burger, beetroot risotto). There is at least 1 person in that kitchen who doesn't suffer from lack of creative thinking. They also have the gastro skills to back it up.

I'm not much of a cake eater but I am told by a whole bunch of people that the cakes in here are exceptional.

The atmosphere is super chilled out and the clientele tend to dress relaxed, quite a contrast to the some of the other people who can be seen out on a Saturday night in this city looking like they spent 6 months getting ready to go out. Mellomell seems to attract an eclectic crowd of people. Of course there's people who go who live locally. I've also heard people in there though speaking Spanish, Polish, Russian, French and probably a bunch of other languages that my lack of education prevents me from identifying.

There's free wifi and they also have a stock of board games for people to amuse themselves with such as chess, scrabble and trivial pursuit. Downstairs there's also a rehearsal room and a yoga / dance studio.

Overall, outstanding. The choice of places for vego food in Liverpool has generally been underwhelming with what appears to have been no more than 3 all vego places at any one time. With the demise of both Soupernatural and also the Green Fish Cafe, this is easily the best vegetarian food in the city. That the vibe of the place is what is just makes for a wonderful bonus.

Enjoy.

• SapineKuu's Profile Photo

Valparaiso: Chilean Sea Port in Liverpool

by SapineKuu Updated Apr 4, 2011

Fine Dining

If your culinary and geographical knowledge is better than some of my mates (not hard) your response to the idea of eating at a Chilean restaurant will not be ‘Do I have to eat Guinea Pig?’ In fact, the Valparaiso Restaurant is one of Liverpool’s best kept secrets. The Chilean owners have created a small intimate establishment that owes its success to superb authentic food and excellent service rather than trendy websites and gimmicks. The menu changes regularly reflecting the availability of fresh ingredients that are slow cooked and beautifully presented. At weekends try to get a window seat and marvel at the steady stream of party people out on the lash!

Favorite Dish: Try one of the slow cooked fish dishes such as Sea Bass cooked with lime or
    Pastel del Choclo a wonderful Chilean dish.

• 43beckos's Profile Photo

Picollinos: Get The Duck

by 43beckos Updated Apr 4, 2011

Picollinos is a very modern contemporary looking 2 level restaurant with excellent food and a bubbling atmosphere.

Once at your table, the service is excellent, however because of the popularity of the place, your table is often late ( we waited over an hour for our table that had been booked a week before), and therefore did not start eating until 10.00pm, not a problem to us as we were not in a rush, but something to bear in mind if you have theatre reservations.

Popular with both the business and pleasure crowds, you will not be disappointed with the food here.

Favorite Dish: Starter wise, the stuffed mushrooms were excellent, and for main dish try the pan fried duck with apple which was equally excellent.

Can also recommend the Bruschetta to start, made with beautifully sweet tiny Italian plum tomatoes and lots of garlic.

• svoures's Profile Photo

Siam Garden: Great food, pitty about the portions

by svoures Updated Apr 4, 2011

You'll find this Thai restaurant (established in 1994) in the buzzing Penny Lane district. Expect luxurious decor, dishes from all over Thailand, a good choice of wines (plus Tiger and Singha Beer), and some good-value special deals for lunch and early dinner.

I have had dinner there a couple of times so far and the food is delicious. My only complain is that although the portions come in proper sizes, the ingredients do not! For example, I expect a prawn dish to have more than 5 prawns in it, or a beef dish to have more than 5-6 little slices in it. They all seem to be surrounded by loads of vegetable to make it look a proper portion, but if I want loads of vegetables I can order from the menu.

Nevertheless, this small and cozy restaurant is a good spot for a night's dining.

Favorite Dish: The last time I visited we tried the following:

For starters, we had 'Hoi Malang Pu' which is mussels cooked with Thai herbs and spices and 'Goong Bikini' which is crispy king prawn pancake rolls served with a sweet and sour dip. The first dish was definately the best of the two, as it was full of flavour with all those herbs.

For main course we opted for the 'Geng Masaman King Prawn' which is prawns in a nutty curry cooked with coconut cream and served in a hot pot, and for the 'Duck Kin Tung Hom', sliced duck cooked with garlic, ginger and Thai rice wine. We also ordered side dishes of fried rice and fried noodles. All dishes were delicious, but as I said before the prawns and duck slices were far and few between.

• drgrcook's Profile Photo

The Left Bank: Suburban quality

by drgrcook Updated Apr 4, 2011

Newly painted Oct 2004

For over ten years the Left Bank in Allerton has set the standard for local restaurants, and the recent tragic death of the young owner and the subsequent sale by his wife has not lowered its standing.

This intimate restaurant has provided us with many superb meals over the years including dinner on Christmas day last year and the quality has never disappointed.

When the restaurant was first opened there was a larger than life wood-carving of a naked Quasimodo hanging in the widow. This carving complete with intimate appendages quickly became a local landmark but unfortunately went when the original owner sold up.

At that time there was only one floor in what had been a small shop, but the addition of a tasteful iron staircase to the upper floor more than doubled the size but did not reduce the cosiness.

PS My photo is later than their web site! (Oct 2004)

Favorite Dish: I have no favourite dish as they are all superb and even the lunchtime menu is worth a try. This menu covers three courses, a soup, four starters and four main courses four a miserly £8.95. The price is reduced if only one or two are eaten.

I had potato & leek soup to start followed by a generous dish of panfried chicken livers in a garlic, mustard and chilli sauce. I asked for and was given a large basket of French bread with a pot of buttter.

My young daughter had the main course alone, a substantial chicken breast in black pepper and mushroom sauce with a side dish of vegetables. She could not finish it so I was able to add it to my tasting - excellent.

My wife, ever mindful of her figure, chose a starter alone, smoked salmon and mango salad without the honey and mustard dressing that it was offered with.

With a jug of iced water to wash it down this was an unbeatable delight for lunch at £12.40 for the three of us, as cheap as McDonalds!

The other dishes included rump steak in forrestiere sauce, roasted cod loin, garlic mushrooms and baked brie, goats cheese tartlet and roast vegetable pancake all with sauces and accompaniments.

• PrincessMonja's Profile Photo

Alma de Cuba: A church with a difference

by PrincessMonja Written Apr 3, 2011

Fantastic restaurant in a converted church.

Great menu and lovely atmosphere.

Try and go for Sunday lunch, they have a gospel choir performing!!

Favorite Dish: The brochettte of the day (it was lamb when we went) was absolutely lovely and I liked the chips and harrisa mayonaise - yum!

• Architecture

• littlebush's Profile Photo

Chaophraya: Thai

by littlebush Updated Feb 3, 2011

i went to this place on a works meal, 40 of us! so it was a set menu, which meant it wasnt so good and they struggled abit with the service, but there was a lot of us.
    the food was good, loved the pad thai but i always do!
    the place itself is fantastic, huge, great ambience and the chance to just have a drink at the bar if wanted
    would go again in more intimate surroundings rather than a big group
    think its pretty pricey, i didnt see menu or bill as someone else paying!

• Millon Tandoori: Best avoided

by socheid Updated Nov 17, 2010

I ordered a delivery from Millon on Monday evening to find there was something unexpected lurking in my meal. I rang back up and spoke to the person who took my order - he was less than enthusiatic to assist.

I took my point of concern up with them via the Millon website. I haven't heard anything back.

This isn't the first time I have ordered something from Millon to be given an unpleasant surprise. First time it was dealt with promptly when I pointed this out to management in the restaurant. However, after this it is never again for me and Millon.

Favorite Dish: If you want quality Indian food in Liverpool I suggest that you try Maharaja on London Road instead.

• Host: Enjoyable contemporary Asian fusion food

by socheid Written Nov 17, 2010

Host is a restaurant with a contemporary East asian menu. The place has a lively vibe and staff are helpful and pleasant. I've been there plenty times with numerous different people and everyone seems to have found it thoroughly enjoyable.

Check the website below for more info.

Favorite Dish: They make a genuine attempt to accomoodate speciallity diets so if you are on one, feel free to ring the restaurant to see if your diet can be accommodated.

Instant Answers: Liverpool

Comments

Liverpool Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Liverpool restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Liverpool sightseeing.