Liverpool Sports & Outdoors

Most Recent Sports & Outdoors in Liverpool

• Benson35's Profile Photo

The Arkles

by Benson35 Written Mar 24, 2013

When visiting Everton football ground, I would suggest The Arkles for a pre and post match pint. It is approx. 10/15 minute walk from Goodison Park (through the park, downhill).
    The atmosphere is friendly and you will find mainly away supporters in there as it is known as a Liverpool fc pub.

I have been in when we have played Liverpool and come across no trouble at all. The only problem being it is so full you can't stand without feeling like you're breathing in and your drink is going to be knocked out of your hand!!
    There are bouncers on the door, but on our last visit ti Anfield, away supporters were not allowed in.
    From Anfield, The Arkles is just minutes walk away, you can see the ground from the door of the pub.

On a side line, there is a nice chippy a couple of doors down which I recommend!!

• Benson35's Profile Photo

Goodison Park, the home of Everton FC

by Benson35 Written Mar 24, 2013

My view looking forward!

What an experience visiting Goodison Park to watch football! I'm told by family and friends it's like stepping back in time to the 1960/70's (being born in 1985, I wouldn't know!!). The away stand is still wooden with wooden chairs! The view of the pitch from this stand is very poor, as you can see from the photo's. You can't see the pitch without obstruction, likewise you can't see all of the home supporters, let alone the sky!!! But as always when I'm travelling supporting my beloved Manchester City, the atmosphere is amazing and I'm in fantastic company! And yes, I hold my hands up, we are rubbish when playing Everton! I haven't seen us win there yet!

The concourse is small, but offers food and drink (alcoholic and non-alcoholic). Everything looks old and tired, but it does the job!
    The stadium is just over 40,000 capacity and was the first English football ground to have underpitch heating.

Equipment: Your passion, your voice, your ticket!

• Pomocub's Profile Photo

Anfield

by Pomocub Written Oct 18, 2012
    Hillsborough Gates

Anfield is the main football stadium of premier league football club Liverpool FC. It very oddly located on Anfield Road nestled between a housing estate. It has been the stadium of Liverpool FC since 1892 and has a capacity of 45, 000 people. Before being home to Liverpool FC the stadium was home to city rivals Everton FC.

Pictured is the Hillsborough memorial and the "You''ll never walk alone" gates. "You''ll never walk alone" is the motto of Liverpool FC and the name of the song sang by fans during matches.

Hillsborough memorial was built in memory of the 98 people killed at the Hillsborough disaster is Hillsborough, Sheffield at the 1989 match between Liverpool FC and Nottingham Forrest. It is considered to be the worst disaster in English football history. As fans were hurrying to get into the stadium for kick off the entrance to the stadium became overcrowded and a barrier fell causing fans to fall on top of each other. 20 years on there is still talk of another inquest being held to find out the cause of what happened.

Stadium tours are available and can be booked via the website or at the cashier on the days

Equipment: Casual

• Museum Visits
    • School Holidays

• vichatherly's Profile Photo

Anfield, Liverpool

by vichatherly Updated Sep 13, 2012
    Liverpool, Anfield 2001

The teams coming out onto the pitch to the Liverpool anthem "You'll Never Walk Alone" and the flags waving in the Kop end of the ground is a sight to see in English football.

The away supporters are at the opposite end of the ground and certainly Manchester United supporters give them as good as we get. There is a fierce rivalry between the two sets of supporters, which sometimes spills over into the downright ugly and violent.

It's a great place to win, but not to lose.

• Architecture

• vichatherly's Profile Photo

Goodison Park, Everton

by vichatherly Updated Sep 3, 2012
    Goodison Park, Everton September 2010

Goodison Park is the home of Everton Football Club.

The stadium was built in 1892, and it's known by the home fans as "The Grand Old Lady". It has an all-seater capacity of 39,571.

It's a traditional "old school" stadium which has it's own unique atmosphere. The fans are close to the pitch, there's blue gravel surrounding the pitch and the home crowd are somewhat boisterous, especially when Everton find the net. The teams still come onto the pitch to the tune of the 1960's BBC police drama "Z-Cars".

The police can be a bit over effacious in the ground. One season, I popped out of my seat at half time to get a coffee. I was feeling generous, so I got two more for my mates. I went back to my seat holding the top cup and the bottom one with the third in the middle. This was a tower of steaming hot caffeine. "Where's you ticket?" asked a senior policeman standing in the gangway of my row. "In my pocket" came my polite reply whilst balancing coffees. "I need to see it" he asked. I thought he was joking. "it's in my pocket" I repeated. I tried to motion that he might take a coffee from me, but there wasn't much chance if that. I had to hand my coffees to others standing nearby and then dig around for my ticket, which he barely looked at, and then rebuild my coffee stack again. Simply pointless. Moral of story is to always carry ticket in your teeth whilst carring drinks ... Not

Away supporters are put in the upper and lower corner of the Bullens Stand. Upper Bullens gives you a great view of the game and lower gets you up close and personal with the players.

• Architecture

• ValbyDK's Profile Photo

Liverpool FC and Anfield Road

by ValbyDK Updated Aug 10, 2012

Anfield Road

Liverpool FC is having a difficult time right now, but it is still one of the most successful clubs in the English football history. They have won 5 European Cups, 18 English League titles, and several FA Cups and League Cups... I'm not a Liverpool supporter, but have always wanted to visit Anfield Road. The atmosphere seemed fantastic on TV, and I was not disappointed when I watched the Merseyside derby in the English Premier League between Liverpool and Everton... It was an amazing experience to hear the Liverpool supporters sing ‘You'll Never Walk Alone”...

Even if there is no game, the old stadium, originally built in 1884, is still worth a visit… You can take a tour of the stadium and visit the museum, the dressing rooms, the Kop, and the Club Store with a lot of official Liverpool FC merchandise. No tours on match days...

• The Originals 1878

by cabletoffee Written Jan 29, 2012

Are you REALLY interested in football ? Then why bother with the soulless corporate experience that is a visit to Anfield. If thats your bag there are plenty of reviews on here to entice you. If you want a real flavour of the passion for the game in this city get to a game at Goodison Park home of Everton FC.
    The club's illustrious history is well documented elsewhere here and that history oozes out of evey brick and blade of grass in this wonderful old stadium. You will be with the locals - surveys show that Everton have more fans among the regular 38,000 who come from within 15 miles of the stadium than any other club in the English Premier league. There is nothing more scouse than supporting Everton. Get there early there are literally dozens of pubs within walking distance of the ground which get pretty packed on matchdays but you are assured of a warm welcome.
    If you can;t make it to the ground there is a club merchandise store in the City centre in the Liverpool One shopping complex which has memorabilia on display. Look out also for the EFC display in the new Museum of Liverpool at the Pier Head.

Equipment: Blue scarf, blue blood (you will surely acquire the latter once you attend a game)

• Onedragon's Profile Photo

MAGICAL MYSTERY TOUR

by Onedragon Updated Apr 4, 2011

THIS WAS A SPORT IN THE SENSE THAT I WAS COMPETING AGAINST TIME TO SEE AS MANY BEATLES PLACES AS POSSIBLE... : )
    THIS BUS TOUR IS ABOUT TWO HOURS AND IT GOES TO THE HOUSES AND SCHOOLS AND PLACES THAT THE BEATLES HUNG OUT AT!! IT IS FUN !!!!!!!!!! TOUR IS ABOUT $21 ????

Equipment: CAMERA...GOOD SHOES ..WILLING FEET AND SOME WARM CLOTHES IF IT IS WINTER..

• soccertourist's Profile Photo

Liverpool FC Trip

by soccertourist Written Feb 28, 2010

I recently went on a trip to see Liverpool FC and another team play. Terrific. The city is interesting, though I think Manchester had a bit more to do to keep me busy. If you care about the club it's a no-brainer, but if you are a neutral soccer fan, than LFC and Anfield is where you want to go.

I went with World Football Travel - www.WorldFootballTravel.com
    All I can say is they did everything great and made it easier for us to enjoy the other parts of our trip. They setup our tour of the city and it was done amazingly, by a local who knew EVERYTHING about 'The Pool'! Made it so much fun to get those tips and our way around. Hope this helps a little, enjoy your trip to see LFC play, its worthwhile for sure!

• Business Travel
    • Luxury Travel

• Emmjai's Profile Photo

A visit to the Cop

by Emmjai Written Jan 19, 2008

Liverpool Football club has an international reputation, and run tours of the grounds, as well as having a museum and the ubiquitous shop! The tour is entertaining, and the museum interesting even for the soccer ignorant; the scouse humour of the tour guides making is a fun thing to do when you are visiting Liverpool, or as I was, taking guests from out of town.

• Meadows11's Profile Photo

Atmospheric Footy!

by Meadows11 Written Apr 6, 2005

In my experience, Premiership matches despite having much bigger attendances, often lack the atmosphere and passion of lower league affairs. This can't be said for Anfield however, where Liverpool fans make their voices heard! The set up of the ground is excellent, and you feel really close to the action, all around the stadium. The team play in the Champions League most seasons, so whether it's league or Europe, if you're lucky enough to catch a game here, then it's sure to be a quality affair... Espescially if it's against Utd! Sorry, couldn't resist.

• Adventure Travel

• A FOOTIE TOWN

by sabsi Updated Jan 18, 2005
    This is Anfield

Liverpool has two big football clubs: Liverpool FC (red) and "the other one" ehm Everton (blue).

I would love to see a match at Anfield some day because Liverpool FC is one of my favourite teams in England. I have only been to the stadium though and had a look around. The tour is rather expensive (I think it was 9 pound) so we only had a look from the outside and of course did some shopping here.

If you don't get tickets for a match why don't you have a look into their big club store and get yourself their latest jersey? They even have a girls' section where the clothes are pink rather than red ;-) Here I bought myself an incredible pink footie scarf ;-)

Equipment: Whatever you buy or wear, let it be red!

• drgrcook's Profile Photo

Fancy some skiing?

by drgrcook Written Nov 7, 2004

Lessons on th Nursery Slope

Runcorn Ski Centre consists of two slopes, a 90 metre one and a smaller nursery slope.

Button lifts operate on both slopes and there is great emphasis on safety.

The instructors are available for private or group lessons and are friendly and helpful, they also speak English!

Unfortunately the Apres Ski is cola and Mars Bars.

Equipment: All equipment is supplied as part of the charge (see their site for details), but I do recommend that you wear a pair of strong gloves as the plastic matting is somewhat less forgiving than snow.

• Skiing and Boarding

Goodison Park
    League Play In
    Premier League
    Honours
    League Champions 9: 1890-91, 1914-15, 1927-28, 1931-32, 1938-39, 1962-63, 1969-70, 1984-85, 1986-87
    League Runners-up 7: 1889-90, 1894-95, 1901-02, 1904-05, 1908-09, 1911-12, 1985-86
    FA Cup Winners 5: 1906, 1933, 1966, 1984, 1995
    FA Cup Finalists 7: 1893, 1897, 1907, 1968, 1985, 1986, 1989
    League Cup Finalists 2: 1976-77, 1983-84
    European Cup Winners' Cup Winners 1: 1984-85
    FA Charity Shield Winners 9: 1928, 1932, 1963, 1970, 1984, 1985, 1986 (shared), 1987, 1995
    FA Youth Cup Winners 3: 1964-65, 1983-84, 1997-98
    British Championship Winners 1: 1963

Home Kit
    Blue shirt, white shorts, blue socks
    Away Kit

Everton now bill theirselves as The People Club, I wouldn`t say that they are quite that friendly but it certainly isn`t as intimidating as some football clubs.
    Goodison Park is an old stadium in need of some redevelopment to make it more comfortable and supporter friendly. I commented on my Burnley page on how nice it was to visit a ground with old wooden seats, here at Everton they still have them too in the visitors section but there is no leg room whatsoever. On top of that there are roof supports in the line of sight as well.

Equipment: To watch the match the only equipment you really need is a good strong voice to sing your club`s songs and encourage the team and your eyes to actually watch the game, some people do take a pair of binoculars if they sit far from the pitch.
    Apart from the above the club s encourage you to buy their merchandise to enhance your matchday experience, you can buy virtually anything from hats and scarfs to the full blown replica kit, which generally is updated annually.

• Tickets for football in Liverpool

by Dutchdave Updated Sep 24, 2004

Im a mad Liverpool fan and have watched Liverpool at Anfield and in London many time.
    I used to buy tickets from people outside the ground but this can be very hard.
    I have heard of people buying forged tickets although this never happened to me.
    I have a contact called Livertickets.com who I get my tickets from now who is good and very friendly.

Instant Answers: Liverpool

Comments

Liverpool Sports & Outdoors

Reviews and photos of Liverpool sports & outdoors posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Liverpool sightseeing.