Hawes Favorites

Most Recent Favorites in Hawes

• ATLC's Profile Photo

Memories

by ATLC Updated Aug 20, 2007

Favorite thing: What I remember most about Hawes is the weekly market and the building that served as a kind of market hall for local artists, where you can buy photographs, paintings alongside knitted socks and plastic kitchen stuff.
    Also the little supermarket and the more expensive one next door (recognisable at the more posh dark green or blue shop front).

There's also a sweet shop with all kinds of fudge which we would try out to delight or distaste. I don't think we ever stopped for a pub drink though. Our hosts knew the best pubs in the area and our trips to Hawes were really only for shopping.

• National/State Park

• Sjalen's Profile Photo

Settle in

by Sjalen Updated Sep 3, 2006

Waterfall

Favorite thing: You will always be a tourist, but nevertheless feel welcomed here as people are used to visitors at these crossroads. Have a great fish and chips and then a pint in a pub whilst talking to people who all seem to have something interesting to say here :-)

Fondest memory: Coming here with one of my worst ever hang overs (I had already booked a tour of the Dales) along with a coach load of pink and blue-haired pensioners who entertained me all the way from York by telling stories about old Yorkshire. It was the 8 May 1995 and so, V-Day 50 years celebrations. Hawes was prettily decorated in red, blue and white and the pub sold whisky at 1945 prices! I didn't dare to drink anything but water and coke but at least went in and had lamb - I just thought that's what you should have in Wensleydale. First time I ever tried mint sauce which I still loathe but what a day! As I reached Hawes I had finally started to feel better, the pensioners were reliving V-Day and the sun was shining. Maybe that's why I love this place so much :-)

• Hiking and Walking
    • National/State Park

Instant Answers: Hawes

Comments

Hawes Favorites

Reviews and photos of Hawes favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Hawes sightseeing.