Scarborough Favorites

Best Rated Favorites in Scarborough

Scarborough

by sandysmith Updated Sep 9, 2004

Scarborough beach

Favorite thing: Two large bays separated by a harbour and headland make up the lovely Scarborough seaside resort. South Bay is the oldest resort area with arcades, gift shops and cafe's, and lifts to take you down to the beach and the promenade from the town above. The North Bay is normally more popular with surfers, being more open - however we saw more surfers in the South Bay during our visit.

Coastal Views

by sandysmith Updated Oct 31, 2004

North bay scenery

Fondest memory: The South bay was popular and busy with tourists the day we visited but walking over to the North bay gave way to more peaceful vistas. I especially enjoyed the scenic coastal views such as this one..... Normally frequented by surfers but for some reason there were more in the South bay that day.

Scary Rides

Fun Fair

Fondest memory: At the end of the harbour in South Bay is a small funfair. Small is an understatement - it's tiny. One time though when I was 7 or so, I went on the Big Wheel with my mam. The wheel seemd as though it leaned out over the sea (I'm sure now that it didn't) and I couldn't swim, and the fear of ending up in the sea was too great for me. I screamed and screamed until the guy stopped the wheel and let us off it. Well, I would be embarrsed about that now, but as a 7 year old I didn't care ;-))

• Sjalen's Profile Photo

Boat trip

by Sjalen Written Feb 25, 2003

Fondest memory: I will never forget when me and my then boyfriend (now husband) decided to go on a boat trip as none of us had ever seen Scarborough from the water before. The boat turned out to be an old D-day veteran. It's interior had been made a pub and whilst my husband sat on deck to save our seats, I went to get the drinks. Going down was fine but as I was there I realised that no way would I be able to get up again with beverages! We had left the calm harbour area and the North Sea was rolling at its best! I had to get Keith down and I don't know how much of the trip was spent on a bench down in the dark interior of this vessel as we tried to get upstairs, hysterical with laughter. It wasn't made any easier by the fact that the stairs were narrow. Eventually, we decided that it had calmed down a little and just went for it. We must have looked hilarious to the crew down there :-)))

• Beer Tasting
    • Sailing and Boating
    • Adventure Travel

Seaside Sculptures

by sandysmith Written Oct 31, 2004

sand designs

Favorite thing: The usual beach activities take place here like any other seaside resort. People out on deckchairs, donkey rides, sandcastles being built by kids...oh and the bigger kids were engrossed in creating some sand sculptures of their own too....

Childhood Memories

Playing On The Beach

Fondest memory: My fondest memories of Scarborough (until my recent return there) were of my childhood holidays. We used to go there almost every year (sometimes we'd go to Blackpool instead). In fact the first holiday that I can remember was to Scarborough and Mam & Dad kidded me on that we were just going to Durham (6 miles from home). Guess I never realised just how long (or short) it takes to go 6 miles, cos next thing I knew I'm at the seaside!

Up To Date

by steventilly Written May 27, 2003

View From South Cliffs

Fondest memory: These days I appreciate Scarborough a lot more for the fun days out you can have there just strolling along the two bays (on the prom or on the sand); walking up to the castle; or along the clifftop footpath; the picturesque harbour; the pubs & cafes; the views from Oliver's Mount.
    All of these are covered in more detail in "Must See".

Stephen Joseph Theatre

by steventilly Written May 29, 2003

Stephen Joseph Theatre

Favorite thing: This used to be the Odeon Cinema when I was a kid - I saw "Live & Let Die" here! Now it's The Stephen Joseph Theatre. This theatre is Alan Aykbourn's "home" theatre and all of his plays get their first showing here. We rather like a lot of his plays, and it would be nice to see one here. Something for next time, prhaps.

Rock Pools

Scalby Rock Pools

Fondest memory: I used to love to play around in the rock pools - these were more obvious at the far north, at Scalby. I could play for hours around there, looking for crabs & winkles - though at my young and tender age I couldn't tell a winkle from a periwinkle, so Dad had to sort them afterwards for me.

Amusements

Corrigan's Amusement Arcade

Fondest memory: And then of course there is the amusements. What kid doesn't want to be in the amusements all day. We used to play penny falls and penny "one armed bandits" all day. Later video games arrived, and we'd play on them until our money ran out.

• toontraveller's Profile Photo

When evening comes...

by toontraveller Written Feb 5, 2005
    Evening skies above the harbour

Favorite thing: This photo was taken in January when its not so warm but any time of year its nice to spend the early evening going for a stroll along the sea front or to the harbour to watch the waves come in and the world go by. Before you know it you'll have a beautifull sunset and a lovely image to take to bed.

• Beaches

• peaksoft's Profile Photo

Stephen Joseph Theatre (2)

by peaksoft Written Jan 8, 2004

Favorite thing: This should come near the top of any "must see".

It's a glorious art deco building that has been wonderfully restored, and it's a real delight to attend the premier of an Alan Ayckbourn play there. The theatre is in-the-round, so no member of the audience is ever more than about 25ft from the stage.

We like second row aisle seats (B14 and B15 are our favourites!) because you're close to the action without having the actors tripping over your feet.

Upstairs is a standard cinema.

Fondest memory: Fondest memory: As 2003 became 2004, we walked along the Esplanade (the promenade along the top of the South Cliff) while gorgeous, plump snowflakes drifted down. The lights of the town were twinkling in the bay, and the waves susurrated below. Total magic.

What do we miss? We drive for two and a half hours to get there on Friday evenings, and two and a half hours to return on Sunday afternoons, and in between, we just miss Scarborough.

by sandysmith Written Oct 31, 2004

Valley Footbridge

Favorite thing: As you enter Scarborough to reach the front the Valley Footbridge can be seen overhead. This footbridge links the town centre, with its shops and grand hotels, to the Spa complex.

Donkey Rides

Donkeys

Fondest memory: When I was a kid I used to love the Donkey Rides. Very tame these days, it seemed a very excitng passtime as a 6 year old ;-)

North Bay Views

by sandysmith Written Nov 4, 2004

North Bay Scarborough

Favorite thing: The North Bay of Scarborough is less developed for the tourists but the views across the sands to the castle ruins on the hill above the harbour are lovely - even with threatening rain clouds above.

Instant Answers: Scarborough

Comments

Scarborough Favorites

Reviews and photos of Scarborough favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Scarborough sightseeing.