Skipton Restaurants

Most Recent Restaurants in Skipton

• gwendar's Profile Photo

Coffee and Clay: Light and bright with great homebaked cakes

by gwendar Written Jan 11, 2015

This very nice café is to be found in the north Yorkshire town of Skipton and is a treat for the taste buds.
    The café has a theme of hand designed pottery which is shown around the inside décor.
    The feeling inside this café is bright clean and very friendly,with a high level of service.

Favorite Dish: The coffee was excellent and freshly made,the selection of freshly made cake all very tempting I tried the carrot cake and a homemade scone and can highly recommend them both.

A MOUTH WATERING SELECTION OF TREATS INSIDE VIEW LOOKING OUT INSIDE VIEW THE CARROT CAKE decorated tile table

Devonshire Arms: Exclusive dining in a fine hotel

by Britannia2 Updated Aug 16, 2014

Situated on the Duke of Devonshire's 30,000 acre Bolton Abbey Estate in the Yorkshire Dales, The Devonshire Arms Country House Hotel . The refined Burlington Restaurant with a Michelin Star and 4 AA rosettes is the highest rated in Yorkshire.
    We only had afternoon tea with biscuits but even this was a wonderful experience and presentation is everything.
    A wonderful experience.
    We returned in August 2014 for the whole afternoon tea experience. This is expensive at over £25 per person but the standard of service and the amount of food provided more or less makes up for this. See the photo for what we had!

Devonshire Arms Devonshire Arms Tea and biscuits at the Devonshire Arms Afternoon tea experience at the Devonshire Arms
    • Spa and Resort
    • Luxury Travel

• suvanki's Profile Photo

Cafe Nero: Well known coffee chain

by suvanki Written Jul 16, 2013

Well, I'm not usually a fan of these types of International coffee chains, but as our gang were in there and I was ready for a drink and sit down, I didn't need much persuading.
    Apparently Craven District Council weren't too pleased when they opened here in 2011 READ ALL ABOUT IT But, in July 2012, CDC's appeal was overruled READ ALL ABOUT IT

Well, it was quite a pleasant place, not too busy, cool and with comfy seating. The staff were friendly and helpful too.

As expected, there was a wide variety of coffees in different sizes, with options of extra shots/ flavourings etc. As well as tea/hot choc and cold drinks.
    Also a variety of sweet and savoury snacks.

I chose a Vanilla Frappe Milk Shake, which was OK. The cakes and muffins etc looked tempting, but we were due to have our Fish and Chip meal shortly, so I settled for the drink.

Personally, I'd chose to drink at The Russian Tea Room at the opposite end of the street, but this did the job.

Open

DAO and Myfanwe in Cafe Nero Ricky52 and Sheila -Cafe Nero

• Balam's Profile Photo

The Red Lion: Oldest Pub

by Balam Written Jul 13, 2013

The Red Lion is the oldest coaching Inn in Skipton, there is a Date stone above the large fireplace of 1681. It is now a Green King, Flame Grill pub and is a great place to call in for a drink and/or food. There are some lovely features like the Fire Places and the great oak beams.

The book Skipton 2000 - The Millennium Walk by Ian Lockwood states that...
    "It has been a licensed premises for more than 500 years. Workmen redecorating the Red Lion in the early 1990s stripped back some plaster to discover a 400 year old large arched fireplace and chimney which is on view today. The Red Lion also has large arched cellars. Like most inns in Skipton, the Red Lion was also a combined farmhouse. Jerry Croft, part of the Red Lion farm, was taken over when the cattle market was constructed behind the Town Hall in 1906. The Red Lion farm ceased after the First World War."

• Wine Tasting
    • Beer Tasting

• Balam's Profile Photo

The Celebrated Pork Pie Establishment: Pork Pies!

by Balam Updated Jul 13, 2013

Although closed when we visited the first time I thought that this place looks like it could be well worth a special visit! On a later visit it was Open and i was right, It is certainly worth a visit. It sells what will probably be some of the best Pork Pies you will ever taste!

• suvanki's Profile Photo

Russian Tea Room: Tea Lovers will be spoilt for choice!

by suvanki Written Jul 8, 2013

At the end of last years Sheep Day meet, Alyson and Emma mentioned that they'd been to a Russian Tea Room, where tea had been served from a samovar and there were over a hundred types of tea to chose from !!! I Well, I had to wait a whole year to visit this place, but it was worth waiting for!
    As the sun was beating down on Skipton High Street, it was a good excuse to head here for a refreshing pot of tea. Entering the premises, we were met with cool air and a peaceful atmosphere.

We were greeted by a lady in Russian costume, who explained that eating was upstairs, drinks and the café were downstairs.

The downstairs was larger than I'd anticipated. The first room had shelves of loose leaf teas to purchase (all numbered, which correspond with the numbers of teas on the menu) along with ornate tea caddies. Wandering into the next room were hundreds of 'Russian Dolls' of all designs - including one of Barack Obama. This was one of the designs that I'd spotted in Vilnius, the previous year, and I'm still kicking myself that I'd dithered so much about whether or not to purchase one of Bill Clinton (complete with Hilary, Chelsea and Monica)!that when I went to buy it, Someone had beaten me to it.

Another area had a display about chess.

More exploring revealed decorative plates and orthodox icons in another room.

The café area had comfy seats and squidgy settees.

We sat overlooking the patio, garden and nearby stone houses, while we perused the menu Hmmm decisions decisions! I finally settled on a rosebud tea (Number 141) £3.65. Gilly opted for verbena mint, while Emma went hardcore and went for one of the Stoli cocktails at around £5.

Orders taken at the glass display cabinet (pic 3) Lots of delicious looking pastries, cakes (including Russian Potato cakes -chocolate covered and shaped like potatoes.
    I'd decided that I needed something savoury - there were a few sandwiches and paninis, but it was the pancakes that were 'calling me' Vegetable, meat and rice or Cheese, egg and bacon. I chose the latter. These are heated for a few minutes.
    My tea came in a glass pot. A wooden egg timer was placed on my tray. The waiter explained that I had to wait for the sand to run through, then turn it over, and when this was through, my tea would be ready to drink!

Well after enjoying our refreshments and a natter, it was time to leave.

On the door was a Trip Adviser Sticker. They rate it No 5/87
    We tried to explain to the lady about VT, but I think I worried her when I said that we wrote about places that We'd visited.
    The place wasn't too busy, and I got the impression that this was a concern. We didn't see the food menu's, but I should imagine that the food would be good.

Well, I was very happy to have finally visited it (even if we didn't have our tea served from a samovar), and it's a must for tea lovers, or anyone wanting to experience a 'bit of Russia' The three staff that we met were friendly and polite. There's a good selection of goods to buy as presents or to treat yourself - oh and I forgot, they sell Vodka and Caviar too.

As 2014 Euromeet will be in St Petersburg, I'm afraid that this will be as close as I'll be getting to Russia.
    I hope to return to The Russian Tea Room!

Favorite Dish: I enjoyed my Cheese, egg and bacon pancake, which was very tasty, and evenly heated through.

I thoroughly enjoyed my pot of tea, with it's subtle rose flavour. I've got a bit of a thing about rose flavoured teas at the moment, and usually have at least one mug of Twinings Rose Garden tea a day, but my treat is my box of rose tea bags (made of silk), which I purchased from Florians in Venice - They were ridiculously expensive, but Oh I savour every last drop!

Rose bud tea and Cheese, egg and bacon pancakes The Gang enjoying a natter around the table Faux books, but very real and tasty delicacies! Russian Dolls Over 150 loose leaf teas to chose from!
    • Women's Travel

• Benson35's Profile Photo

The Red Lion Pub: Nice atmosphere

by Benson35 Updated Jul 20, 2012

Firstly, this pub can be accessed from the main public car park or from High Street.
    You are welcome in this pub whatever you want, whether that be a coffee and a croissant, a meal, or an alcoholic beverage.

The Red Lion has plenty of places to sit, is spacious, has high ceilings and a bar. They serve non-alcoholic and alcoholic drinks and have specials offers on selected drinks (usually displayed on a small poster at the bar).
    Local products are used in the meals they offer and they are very proud of that fact. The prices of the food are reasonable and average for the area. Special offers are also on meals too.

There is a good outside smoking area, complete with a TV, cover and tables and chairs.

Favorite Dish: The Sunday Roast is delicious!

Entrance from the main car park Outside smoking area Alyf1961 and Barney UK
    • Beer Tasting

• Gillybob's Profile Photo

Bizzie Lizzie's: Great fish & chips - and mushies!

by Gillybob Written Jul 19, 2012

We were in Skipton for Sheep Day 2012 and Alyson has arranged for us to have an early tea at Bizzie Lizzie's, which is famous in Skipton.

There were nearly a dozen of us and Alyson had managed to make a reservation (not normally taken) to ensure that we could get seats at our chosen dining time on such a busy day.

There are three shops from the same purveyor in Skipton : Bizzie Lizzie's, Bizzie's and Eastwoods. Bizzie Lizzie's is located near the canal basin and overlooks the canal on one side of the building.

A selection of dishes were ordered by the group, with the most popular being their fish and chips served with mushy peas. Being such a large group, it takes a little time to get everyone to make up their minds and to place the order (which was diligently cross-checked).

Service was efficient but not over-attentive - especially given that it was clear we were a large group who were keen to catch-up and converse about the day.

Favorite Dish: I had a thoroughly enjoyed starter of garlic mushrooms (crispy-coated mushrooms served with a small side salad and garlic mayonnaise) which was followed by a classical fish, chips and mushy peas. The fish was perfectly battered and cooked to a beautiful crispness; I would have liked my mushy peas to be slightly moister.

To drink, I enjoyed a lovely, hot pot of tea (which was served with a water jug for a second brewing).

Bizzie Lizzie's Garlic Mushroom starter Fish, chips and mushy peas Orders placed, it's catch-up time! Interior view
    • National/State Park
    • Hiking and Walking

• Benson35's Profile Photo

Bizzie Lizzie's: Great fish & chips!

by Benson35 Updated Jul 4, 2012

This resturant serves everything you will find in an English Chippy (and more). They have starters, mains and desserts which include garlic mushrooms, prawn cocktail, soup, fish dishes, chicken dishes, burgers, jacket potatoes, steak & kidney filled Yorkshire puddings and chilli con carne.
    I admit I personally havn't sampled the desserts (only because I am too full from my main course!), but they do look and sound delightful! At the time of writing this, all desserts were priced at £3.95 each.

There is a menu on the website listed below which has up to date prices on.

The resturant is situated next to a canal. One wall of the resturant is completely glass so you have a great view of the passing barges. There are two levels to Bizzie Lizzie's.

I think it's also worth mentioning that Bizzie Lizzie's is a (very small) chain. There is Bizzie's by the car park next to the Town Hall, and Eastwoods is on Keighley Road. All are in Skipton.

I will certainly enjoy sampling the foods from all of these resturants in furture visits to Skipton!

Favorite Dish: I had a fish, salad and mushypeas. There was not one thing that I could complain about, didn't really enjoy, or wasn't happy with. All-in-all, an excellent experience! If you're in Skipton, go to Bizzie Lizzie's!!

Bizzie Lizzie's Desserts! Mmmm fish & chips! Us VTers enjoying our tea!!

The Fleece: In nearby Addingham

by Britannia2 Written Jul 2, 2012

We only stopped off in the cafe part of the Fleece but if the excellent cafe is in an indication of the major restaurant side of the Fleece this must be a restaurant worth looking at in the future.
    A large pub/restaurant with a cafe to the left and restaurant to the right.
    So I can only comment on the cafe - wonderful coffee - the best cup for many months and coupled with a chocolate croissant this made a wonderful mid morning snack.
    There are a vast array of scones, buns and cakes and a bacon or sausage sandwich at only £2.25 seemed a bargain for such a quality cafe. There is not much seating and if anything a little cramped over the two rooms you can sit in. Newspapers are on sale and all the food available in the cafe can be bought to take home too as well as other foods and bread on display - the back room also serves as a shop,
    Clean rest rooms and a safe childrens playground at the back too.
    Recommended.

The Fleece at Addingham

Bizzie Lizzies: Fish and chips near the canal

by Britannia2 Written Jul 2, 2012

A restaurant with a great location overlooking the canal that runs through Skipton. This is a split level restaurant over two floors although access is on the upper floor where most of the seating seems to be - there are places for 80 people. Disabled access is good but only to the upper floor.
    The restaurant is clean and the rest rooms are of a good standard.
    The decor is modern and has a nice range of prints on the walls. The staff were friendly and efficeint and I would go back again on a future visit to the town.

Favorite Dish: We both had the jumbo haddock that comes with bread and butter as standard but peas were an extra 82p - usually they come included as does tea but tea was an extra £1.25 per person. Still good value and in line across the north of England with its pricing. As the photo below shows the chips were perfectly cooked in beef dripping and the fish was white and flaky.

Bizzie Lizzies Bizzie Lizzies Typical meal - the jumbo Haddock
    • Seniors

COFFEE AND CLAY: CREATIVITY AND COFFEE

by alyf1961 Written Apr 28, 2012

This fun café was opened in 2000. The idea is clever and simple. You go in and select a piece of pottery to decorate. The cost of the pottery starts from £5.00 and they have over 40 items including plates, cups, money boxes, tiles and bowls.
    For weddings and other occasions they have things like salt and pepper pots, Christmas baubles and for a special wedding gift you can buy a plate, take it to the wedding and have your guests sign it (like a guest book) you then return it to the café where they will add a picture and words then glaze it.
    All this and coffee too………

BIZZIE LIZZIES: EAT IN OR TAKE AWAY

by alyf1961 Written Apr 28, 2012

Bizzie Lizzies is a 65 seat fish restaurant and take away in Skipton.
    As well as fish dishes it also sells chicken, burgers, chilli and salads as well as breakfast, starters and desserts

Service is quick and efficient and the prices resonable.

Favorite Dish: I had a fish from the take away and sat by the canal to eat it......delicious

RUSSIAN TEA ROOMS: AUTHENTIC RUSSIAN

by alyf1961 Written Apr 28, 2012

This quaint tea room sells over 150 varieties of tea most of them served from a traditional samovar.
    They also sell coffee and hot chocolate as well as a varied menu with some delicious Russia favourites.

There is also a small shop selling Russian souveniers

OPEN MONDAY – SUNDAY 9.30-5.00

Favorite Dish: Borsch Beetroot soup £3.20

The Devonshire: CHEAP AND DELICIOUS

by alyf1961 Written Nov 7, 2011

Wetherspoons are great for cheap and delicious meals. They do great deals like beer and a burger, curry nights and steak club. The service is quick and efficient.

Favorite Dish: We had burger and a beer as we were in a rush and it is very cheap.

THE DEVONSHIRE, SKIPTON

Instant Answers: Skipton

Comments

Skipton Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Skipton restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Skipton sightseeing.