Skipton Restaurants

Best Rated Restaurants in Skipton

• Myfanwe's Profile Photo

Bizzie Lizzies: A Great Plaice!

Bizzie Lizzies

Bizzie Lizzies is situated right next to the pay and display car park behind the Town Hall. This lovely looking fish and chip shop has been the winner of 'the best fish and chips in the Country' awarded by the Sea Fish Industry Authority.

The Black Horse: A huge place

The Black Horse

This was our last pit stop during our visit to Skipton. I really did fancy a coffee and a cake (to replace all the calories I had burned during the day..lol) but then caught sight of the desert menu & was drawn to the treacle pudding & custard. Poor Gareth had to have one aswell as they were two for the price of one!! The main meal menu looked really nice too and during the time of our visit there was a special offer on meals too. The Treacle pudding was nice and sticky and really did the job in warming me up on a wet and windy November day. There is plenty of seating in this pub, it seems to go on forever. Even though we did not venture outside, there is also a nice patio area overlooking the canal.

Favorite Dish: Treacle pudding - Yum.

• Myfanwe's Profile Photo

The Tempest Arms: Aaaah a roaring fire...

The Tempest Arms

The Tempest Arms is a great historic pub which is situated in a village called Elslack just a few miles from Skipton. The Pub caught our eyes on the way into Skipton & we knew we had to pay it a visit on the way back. The Inn is named after the Tempest family who lived in nearby Broughton Hall Sinc the 12th Century.

We called in on a rainy, blustery November day & couldn't be more impressed by the heat of the roaring open fire as we stepped through the door. There is some really cosy seating in the bar area with a smart restaurant area to the rear. The food menu here really did look fantastic but sadly they were not serving food while we were there :-((

On looking at the website, the Tempest Arms offers some great looking accomadation and also conference facilities.

• suvanki's Profile Photo

Russian Tea Room: Tea Lovers will be spoilt for choice!

by suvanki Written Jul 8, 2013

Rose bud tea and Cheese, egg and bacon pancakes

At the end of last years Sheep Day meet, Alyson and Emma mentioned that they'd been to a Russian Tea Room, where tea had been served from a samovar and there were over a hundred types of tea to chose from !!! I Well, I had to wait a whole year to visit this place, but it was worth waiting for!
    As the sun was beating down on Skipton High Street, it was a good excuse to head here for a refreshing pot of tea. Entering the premises, we were met with cool air and a peaceful atmosphere.

We were greeted by a lady in Russian costume, who explained that eating was upstairs, drinks and the café were downstairs.

The downstairs was larger than I'd anticipated. The first room had shelves of loose leaf teas to purchase (all numbered, which correspond with the numbers of teas on the menu) along with ornate tea caddies. Wandering into the next room were hundreds of 'Russian Dolls' of all designs - including one of Barack Obama. This was one of the designs that I'd spotted in Vilnius, the previous year, and I'm still kicking myself that I'd dithered so much about whether or not to purchase one of Bill Clinton (complete with Hilary, Chelsea and Monica)!that when I went to buy it, Someone had beaten me to it.

Another area had a display about chess.

More exploring revealed decorative plates and orthodox icons in another room.

The café area had comfy seats and squidgy settees.

We sat overlooking the patio, garden and nearby stone houses, while we perused the menu Hmmm decisions decisions! I finally settled on a rosebud tea (Number 141) £3.65. Gilly opted for verbena mint, while Emma went hardcore and went for one of the Stoli cocktails at around £5.

Orders taken at the glass display cabinet (pic 3) Lots of delicious looking pastries, cakes (including Russian Potato cakes -chocolate covered and shaped like potatoes.
    I'd decided that I needed something savoury - there were a few sandwiches and paninis, but it was the pancakes that were 'calling me' Vegetable, meat and rice or Cheese, egg and bacon. I chose the latter. These are heated for a few minutes.
    My tea came in a glass pot. A wooden egg timer was placed on my tray. The waiter explained that I had to wait for the sand to run through, then turn it over, and when this was through, my tea would be ready to drink!

Well after enjoying our refreshments and a natter, it was time to leave.

On the door was a Trip Adviser Sticker. They rate it No 5/87
    We tried to explain to the lady about VT, but I think I worried her when I said that we wrote about places that We'd visited.
    The place wasn't too busy, and I got the impression that this was a concern. We didn't see the food menu's, but I should imagine that the food would be good.

Well, I was very happy to have finally visited it (even if we didn't have our tea served from a samovar), and it's a must for tea lovers, or anyone wanting to experience a 'bit of Russia' The three staff that we met were friendly and polite. There's a good selection of goods to buy as presents or to treat yourself - oh and I forgot, they sell Vodka and Caviar too.

As 2014 Euromeet will be in St Petersburg, I'm afraid that this will be as close as I'll be getting to Russia.
    I hope to return to The Russian Tea Room!

Favorite Dish: I enjoyed my Cheese, egg and bacon pancake, which was very tasty, and evenly heated through.

I thoroughly enjoyed my pot of tea, with it's subtle rose flavour. I've got a bit of a thing about rose flavoured teas at the moment, and usually have at least one mug of Twinings Rose Garden tea a day, but my treat is my box of rose tea bags (made of silk), which I purchased from Florians in Venice - They were ridiculously expensive, but Oh I savour every last drop!

• Women's Travel

Bizzie’s: Fish and Chips

by Balam Updated Nov 16, 2010

Bizzie's

Bizzies is an award winning Fish and Chip shop just off the High Street in Skipton.
    In fact they don't just own the one they have 3, Bizzies, Bizzie Lizzies and Eastwoods all a firm favorite with locals and visitors and well worth a visit.

Bizzie’s was the Group’s second Restaurant and Takeaway and was opened in 2004 at the back of the Town hall next to the car park.
    Bizzie Lizzie’s is the flagship of the Group and is on 36 Swadford Street, BD23 1QY
    Eastwoods Fish Restaurant & Takeaway, Keighley Rd, BD23 2 LX, is the third addition to the Bizzie Lizzie’s Group. It has been popular in Skipton since the 1940s and has been the subject of a major investment and refurbishment programme.

• nickandchris's Profile Photo

Black Horse: Like the Tardis....

by nickandchris Updated Oct 29, 2007

Large glasses of wine....

This place is just enormous. A friend of ours took us here for a drink and after entering the small front door, the place just went on and on until eventually you got to the back and then you could sit outside on a patio, overlooking the Leeds - Liverpool canal.

It was a lovely day, although getting on a bit we decided to take advantage of the sunshine and sat outside. I was amazed how busy this place was, mainly with locals, on a Sunday afternoon at 4.30pm. How could they all afford to be here?

As I said, we only had a drink (the wine came in .25 litre glasses!!) but there was a decent enough menu with the usual grills etc and a meal deal for two at £7.50.

Must be pleasant on a summer's evening but we were frozen by the time we left!

COFFEE AND CLAY: CREATIVITY AND COFFEE

by alyf1961 Written Apr 28, 2012

This fun café was opened in 2000. The idea is clever and simple. You go in and select a piece of pottery to decorate. The cost of the pottery starts from £5.00 and they have over 40 items including plates, cups, money boxes, tiles and bowls.
    For weddings and other occasions they have things like salt and pepper pots, Christmas baubles and for a special wedding gift you can buy a plate, take it to the wedding and have your guests sign it (like a guest book) you then return it to the café where they will add a picture and words then glaze it.
    All this and coffee too………

• nickandchris's Profile Photo

Cock and Bottle: Pleasant Enough

by nickandchris Updated Oct 26, 2007

Cheese and bacon baguette

Skipton has a fair few pubs offering lunch-time fayre. Which one to choose was the problem? In the end, after perusing a few menus, we opted for the Cock and Bottle, just off the High Street and opposite a large Co-op.

We were a little concerned that we were the only clientele, but it was only 12.15pm. By the time we left, a few more customers had arrived.

A pleasant enough interior with a nice large table by the window which we grabbed. Good fun watching the world go by outside. The barman was very friendly and we really enjoyed the music, quietly playing in the background; a few old Who numbers had us singing away!!!

The menu was good enough, sandwiches, baguettes, burgers with various additions, the usual grills, sausages and mash and quite a few veggie dishes. Nothing too fancy, but then we don't go for fancy at lunchtime.

Favorite Dish: In the end, we were totally boring and had the cheese and bacon hot baguette (£3.95), a huge cheeseburger(£4.75) and predictable Nick had the big breakfast.(£5.25.) The food was properly cooked, beautifully hot and really, we had no complaints. I think, for Skipton, the prices were reasonable.

RUSSIAN TEA ROOMS: AUTHENTIC RUSSIAN

by alyf1961 Written Apr 28, 2012

This quaint tea room sells over 150 varieties of tea most of them served from a traditional samovar.
    They also sell coffee and hot chocolate as well as a varied menu with some delicious Russia favourites.

There is also a small shop selling Russian souveniers

OPEN MONDAY – SUNDAY 9.30-5.00

Favorite Dish: Borsch Beetroot soup £3.20

The Devonshire: CHEAP AND DELICIOUS

by alyf1961 Written Nov 7, 2011

THE DEVONSHIRE, SKIPTON

Wetherspoons are great for cheap and delicious meals. They do great deals like beer and a burger, curry nights and steak club. The service is quick and efficient.

Favorite Dish: We had burger and a beer as we were in a rush and it is very cheap.

• Balam's Profile Photo

The Celebrated Pork Pie Establishment: Pork Pies!

by Balam Updated Jul 13, 2013

Although closed when we visited the first time I thought that this place looks like it could be well worth a special visit! On a later visit it was Open and i was right, It is certainly worth a visit. It sells what will probably be some of the best Pork Pies you will ever taste!

• suvanki's Profile Photo

Cafe Nero: Well known coffee chain

by suvanki Written Jul 16, 2013

DAO and Myfanwe in Cafe Nero

Well, I'm not usually a fan of these types of International coffee chains, but as our gang were in there and I was ready for a drink and sit down, I didn't need much persuading.
    Apparently Craven District Council weren't too pleased when they opened here in 2011 READ ALL ABOUT IT But, in July 2012, CDC's appeal was overruled READ ALL ABOUT IT

Well, it was quite a pleasant place, not too busy, cool and with comfy seating. The staff were friendly and helpful too.

As expected, there was a wide variety of coffees in different sizes, with options of extra shots/ flavourings etc. As well as tea/hot choc and cold drinks.
    Also a variety of sweet and savoury snacks.

I chose a Vanilla Frappe Milk Shake, which was OK. The cakes and muffins etc looked tempting, but we were due to have our Fish and Chip meal shortly, so I settled for the drink.

Personally, I'd chose to drink at The Russian Tea Room at the opposite end of the street, but this did the job.

Open
    Mon-Friday 07:00 - 1900
    Saturday 07:30 - 19.00
    Sunday/ Bank Holidays 08.00 - 18.00

WIFI
    Disabled toilet

• Balam's Profile Photo

The Black Horse: A deceptivley large pub!

by Balam Written Nov 16, 2010

The Black Horse

This great pub is on the high street and does at first seem quite small untill you go in and find that it stretches right back to a second bar and to a terraced seating area overlooking the canal. I would think that it gets really busy on a Friday and Saturday nights.
    The interior has some really thick walls indicating that it is quite an old building.
    Vicki fancied a cake and a coffee and upon looking at the dessert menu she opted for treacle tart and custard, i did not want anything but as it is 2 for 1 on desserts i opted for treacle tart as well. They came and although they did not look to good (vicki's looked ok because it was smothered in custard) they tasted great and i could have eaten another one easily.

The main meal menu also looked really nice and there was a special offer on those aswell

• Gillybob's Profile Photo

Bizzie Lizzie's: Great fish & chips - and mushies!

by Gillybob Written Jul 19, 2012

Bizzie Lizzie's

We were in Skipton for Sheep Day 2012 and Alyson has arranged for us to have an early tea at Bizzie Lizzie's, which is famous in Skipton.

There were nearly a dozen of us and Alyson had managed to make a reservation (not normally taken) to ensure that we could get seats at our chosen dining time on such a busy day.

There are three shops from the same purveyor in Skipton : Bizzie Lizzie's, Bizzie's and Eastwoods. Bizzie Lizzie's is located near the canal basin and overlooks the canal on one side of the building.

A selection of dishes were ordered by the group, with the most popular being their fish and chips served with mushy peas. Being such a large group, it takes a little time to get everyone to make up their minds and to place the order (which was diligently cross-checked).

Service was efficient but not over-attentive - especially given that it was clear we were a large group who were keen to catch-up and converse about the day.

Favorite Dish: I had a thoroughly enjoyed starter of garlic mushrooms (crispy-coated mushrooms served with a small side salad and garlic mayonnaise) which was followed by a classical fish, chips and mushy peas. The fish was perfectly battered and cooked to a beautiful crispness; I would have liked my mushy peas to be slightly moister.

To drink, I enjoyed a lovely, hot pot of tea (which was served with a water jug for a second brewing).

• National/State Park
    • Hiking and Walking

• tim07's Profile Photo

Woolly Sheep Inn: Pub food

by tim07 Updated Sep 21, 2009

The pub is situated in the centre of Skipton. I popped in for a quick drink, the place seemed full with tourists & locals. I was impressed by the interior decor & welcoming atmosphere.

The pub has a wide range of Timothy Taylor real ales & a varied selection of homemade pub meals.

Instant Answers: Skipton

Comments

Skipton Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Skipton restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Skipton sightseeing.