Stamford Bridge Travel Guide

  • The Mill
    The Mill
    by Britannia2
  • A reminder of the villages history
    A reminder of the villages history
    by Britannia2
  • The park next to the Derwent
    The park next to the Derwent
    by Britannia2

Stamford Bridge Things to Do

  • Britannia2's Profile Photo

    The park and watermill

    by Britannia2 Written Aug 29, 2014

    Next to the village square is a small park next to the River Derwent and over the water an old water mill that was once a hotel but is now apartments.
    The Cornmill is a late 18th to early 19th century Grade II listed water mill.
    The current mill was possibly expanded in 1847-50 when nearly £1,000 was spent on it. Subsequently there were two water wheels and seven pairs of grinding stones. The mill ceased operation in 1964 and was converted into a restaurant in 1967. More recently the Cornmill was converted into twelve two-bedroom apartments but some of the original equipment remains and you can see the water wheel working at all times.

    The Mill The park next to the Derwent

    Was this review helpful?

  • Britannia2's Profile Photo

    The bridge

    by Britannia2 Written Aug 29, 2014

    There has been a river crossing since at least Roman times. The river 270 yards (250 m) upstream of the current bridge was passable except at times of flood via a natural rock ford. There was a bridge at or near the village in the 11th century as one is referred to in accounts of the battle of 1066, noted in the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle, Manuscript 'C'. Archaeological research has shown that there was a bridge crossing of the River Derwent one mile (1.6 km) south of the present village which linked the east and west bank of the Roman settlement of Derventio.
    In the 18th century the weir and the by-pass canal and lock, known as the New Cut, were built and the medieval bridge was replaced with the current structure.
    The present bridge was designed by William Etty under an Act of 1725 and completed in 1727. The bridge was strengthened in the 1960s and at the same time the adjacent pedestrian bridge was erected.The bridge is a Grade II* listed monument.

    Bridge over the viaduct

    Was this review helpful?

  • Britannia2's Profile Photo

    The Railway Viaduct

    by Britannia2 Written Aug 29, 2014

    The large viaduct spanning the River Derwent was built in 1847 to carry the York to Beverley railway line and it was used until closure in 1965.
    The viaduct is a grade 2 listed building and preserved and maintained. East Riding Council have safeguarded the site of the line for 20 years with possible reopening of the line from York to Beverley but until then it is a walk way and cycle track that affords great views of the village and area.

    The viaduct
    Related to:
    • Architecture

    Was this review helpful?

Stamford Bridge Restaurants

  • Britannia2's Profile Photo

    Temptations: In the square

    by Britannia2 Written Aug 29, 2014

    This was the only café we saw in the village centre but it was very good and welcoming. The food is made to order and it concentrates on sandwiches, salads, scones, teacakes etc. The coffee is very good too.
    Very comfortable seating both insides and out and clean toilets.

    Temptations

    Was this review helpful?

Instant Answers: Stamford Bridge

Get an instant answer from local experts and frequent travelers

10 travelers online now

Comments

Stamford Bridge Travel Guide
Map of Stamford Bridge

View all Stamford Bridge hotels