Thirsk Restaurants

• Front of hotel - restaurant on ground floor
    Front of hotel - restaurant on ground...
    by rexvaughan
    My wife in the lovely reading room
    The side of veggies

Most Recent Restaurants in Thirsk

Aspire Pub: Friendly locals

by rexvaughan Written Aug 3, 2009
    My buddies at the bar on the left end

In search of an afternoon drink, we wandered into the Aspire Pub. When I approached the bar to order a gin and tonic for my wife, I enquired about what was on draft. Two local guys at the bar immediately recommended I have a Cameron’s bitter as it was good and it was cheap. One of them had obviously had a few and the other just starting but they seemed to enjoy it and appeared to know their beer. The barman kindly offered me a taste and I found it pretty good. We only had drinks and some nuts, but it was a pleasant and friendly sort of place I would go back to for a light meal.

Thomas the Baker: Wonderful local pastries

by rexvaughan Written Jul 30, 2009
    Delicious Yorkshire Curd

Our taxi driver Mike suggested that we drop in Thomas the Baker shop and pick up a Yorkshire Curd for a bedtime snack. These are evidently local favorites and are traditionally made with fresh cheese curd and filled with currants, raisins, eggs and spices. Mike suggested we buy a small one to share as they are rich and filling. However when I got to the shop they had only one left and it was a large one about 7 inches in diameter. I bought it however and we did share it before going to bed. A delicious nightcap. We were leaving the next day or I would have gone back to explore more of the great looking pastries.

Charles Bistro: Plesant Mediterranean atmosphere

by rexvaughan Written Jul 30, 2009
    Roast squash

Nestled off the Market Place and Kirkgate Street is Bakers Alley where the Charles Bistro is located. The name Bistro made me think French but the ambiance is more Mediterranean and the menu fairly eclectic but good. My wife had a nice pate and then roast butternut squash topped with a vegetable ratatouille and melted cheese. I had honeydew melon with raspberries and red currants then a very tasty steak and ale pie with beef gravy. We washed it down with glasses of house red wine. All very tasty but we skipped dessert as we had a Yorkshire Curd waiting in our room to top off the evening. A very good meal and pretty reasonable in my opinion: £25.88 total.

The Golden Fleece: Fine old coaching inn

by rexvaughan Updated Jul 28, 2009
    Front of hotel - restaurant on ground floor

This is said to be one of the oldest coaching inns in England and for my money it is among the top ones for a really good dinner. On our 18 day trip in England and Wales my wife and I agreed that our dinner here was one of the top 2 of the entire trip. The ambience was very nice as well. We were served in what was called the reading room and it had a cheery and home feel. From what I could see of the hotel, it would be a wonderful place to stay as well and their prices are pretty reasonable.

I have nice photos of all the dishes except the dessert. It seems when a nice dessert is set in front of me everything leaves my mind except digging into it.

Favorite Dish: For starters we shared a wonderful, smooth homemade chicken liver and brandy pate with salad, red onion marmalade and melba toast. My wife had escalope of breaded pork filet on a bed of wild mushrooms and pepper cream sauce and I had baked chicken Wensleydale (a local good Yorkshire Dales cheese). It was wrapped in bacon and served on a bed of sauteed leeks and draped in a cream and onion sauce. To accompany our entree we were served a large portion of boiled potatoes and steamed carrots, broccoli and green beans. It was all cooked to perfection and delicious. We finished by sharing a decadently tasty treacle pudding with custard and of course coffee

Castlegate Cafe & Bakery: Castlegate Cafe & Bakery

by lou31 Written Sep 11, 2008

A pretty cafe

This looked like a nice cafe and indeed it was. The interior was well decorated and spacious and the staff friendly.

Favorite Dish: I just had to go in and try the famous yorkshire curd tart. I had heard of this culinary delight from watching Hugh of River Cottage. However I was a little disapointed with the tart itself. I had imagined it to be more creamier...like a custart tart. It turned out to be very firm and a little dry.
    Apparently the steak pies are also famous.

• Women's Travel

Polly's Cafe: Polly's Cafe

by lou31 Written Sep 11, 2008

Polly's...a busy little cafe.

This delightful little cafe was very popular. It served lunches and morning and afternoon teas throughout the day. The homemade cakes and pastries looked delicious and the prices were reasonable.

Favorite Dish: I had the scones with jam and cream and a pot of tea...mmm!

The lemon meringue pie and Orange cake are suppose to be good too!

Blacksmith's Arms: A quintessential experience

by lou31 Updated Sep 8, 2008

Quirky and quintessential pub.

This was a really nice pub with a cosy feel to it. A good place to tuck yourself away for a quiet meal and a pint or two.

Favorite Dish: I chose the lasagna, chips and salad. Though tasty it was a little too oily for me but I enjoyed it anyway!

The Black Bull: The Black Bull

by lou31 Updated Sep 9, 2008
    The Black Bull

This was another of those typical British pubs and added to the atmosphere of the village.

Favorite Dish: I didn't eat here but the menu looked good.

Instant Answers: Thirsk

Comments

Thirsk Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Thirsk restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Thirsk sightseeing.