Whitby Restaurants

Duke of York
    by Balam
    Fish, Chips and Mushy peas - Mmmmmmm!
    by suvanki
    Hadleys Fish Restaurant
    by suvanki

Most Recent Restaurants in Whitby

• suvanki's Profile Photo

Hadleys Fish Restaurant: Family run Fish and Chip Restaurant

by suvanki Written Oct 8, 2012

Fish, Chips and Mushy peas - Mmmmmmm!

For many, a visit to Whitby wouldn't be the same without eating Fish and Chips at least once!

Many visiters head to The Magpie (or one of the other 'Multi Award Winning' Restaurants) and queue for a table, or at the adjacent 'Take Away'.
    Yes, The Magpie is perhaps the best known establishment.... but - you might have to queue quite a while, then find yourself cramped into a tight space, and/or sharing your table.

We just wanted traditional Cod, chips and peas (mushy of course!) with sliced bread and butter and a pot of tea - so, wandering back to our accommodation, we came across Hadleys - and We're very pleased that we did!

We were welcomed and shown to our table by a pleasant young man - we chose a window seat - A Great 'People Watching' spot! There appeared to be two dining rooms here. It was before 5pm on a Friday in early October when we visited, so there were plenty of people dining, but it wasn't too crowded.

Our order was taken by this same chap - very pleasant and efficient.

Besides People watching, I spent some time looking at the old photos of Whitby (pic 5) on display, as well as the decorative ceiling (pic 4) and stained glass scene of Whitby above the main door (pic 3)

Hadleys is a family run Fish Restaurant - the current owners being the third generation to serve fish and chips here since 1937.
    The restaurant is located on the ground floor of Endevour House, above (up spiral staircases) is recently refurbished accomodation. (see the website for details)
    The toilets are up one flight of the spiral staircase - I'm not sure if there is a disabled toilet on the ground floor.
    I was quite intrigued by this building - the door to the staircase appears to have been the exterior door at one time, and has quite a grand surround (along with the afore mentioned ceiling)

Our food arrived, after a reasonable wait - piping hot and delicious! A feast for the eyes, nose and tongue!

The menu is quite simple - (Haddock/Plaice/Lemon Sole/Fishcake and chips, with a Childrens menu of fish/eggs/baked beans/sausage or chicken nuggets and chips) but...... If you serve such good quality food, with good ingredients why would you need to add 'fancy dishes'?

Licensed
    Choice of lagers (Stella Artois, Corona, Peroni) Real Ales - (Black Sheep, Old Speckled Hen, Hobgoblin, Daleside Blonde), Bulmers Cider
    A selection of House wines , as well as a choice of hot and cold drinks.

Personally, I like a good cuppa with fish and chips - it seems alien to me to have a cold drink with fried fish and chips!

We really enjoyed our visit here - Great Food and Service!

Favorite Dish: Fish and Chips!

I opted for the small portion of cod and chips with sliced bread and butter and a pot of tea. Phil went for the large cod and chips. We both ordered a dish of mushy peas.

We were asked if we wanted any extra sauces - I decided to try the Tartare Sauce, which came in a dish - not a plastic sachet, which was quite pleasant.

Vinegar and salt on the table.

We were also offered the choice of white or brown bread - we had a slice of each- Phil preferring the white - my brown bread was delicious.

I would have liked a wedge of lemon with my cod (just a minor quibble - I'm sure that if I'd asked, I would have been given this)

A very nice pot of tea - complete with hot water for 'top ups'

Delicious crispy batter with moist flaked fish, yummy chips - crisp outside, fluffy inside and peas at just the right level of 'mushiness' with a light sprinkling of salt and a light dowsing of vinegar -Mmmmmmmm!

Well, my small cod and chips filled me up - I was too full for dessert. (even ice-cream)
    Phil had to admit defeat - his Large Cod was too big for him to finish (Eyes bigger than his belly!)

Well, next time we're in Whitby, We'll certainly head here - In fact We'll probably come to Whitby, just to eat here!

• Evenith666's Profile Photo

The Duke Of York: Try the Scampi!

by Evenith666 Written Jun 23, 2012
    Whitby Scampi!

Whitby is almost as famous for its Scampi as for its Vampires A type of Langoustine, also known as the Dublin Bay Prawn; no trip to the coastal town would be complete without sampling some of this breaded fishy goodness!

The Duke Of York is considered one of the best pubs in Whitby to get your teeth into this local delicacy, and at the bottom of the steps leading to the abbey it is in a prime location. We were lucky enough to get, according to some of the pubs other patrons, the best seat in the place, in the window looking over the River Esk Estuary. The scampi really was to die for, I have never had better anywhere, and it is certainly seemed better than the 'Whitby Scampi' you can buy in the supermarket freezers.

For about £8, you got a good plate full of scampi, chips and peas, so for a local speciality I thought it was a real bargain.

Favorite Dish: I have only tried the Scampi, but it was so good I wouldn't bother having anything else on my next visit!

• Festivals

• alyf1961's Profile Photo

QUARTER DECK: WHAT A WHOPPER

by alyf1961 Written Jun 10, 2012

On my recent day trip to Whitby I went to this take away for a fish.

Whitby is the best place in the world for a nice portion of Battered cod or haddock, in fact I think it is illegal to visit Whitby and not have fish and chips.

I had nearly finished my delicious fish sitting on a nearby bench when a massive seagull tried its luck and tried to grab the fish. Of course being a Yorkshire lass I wasn't sharing my fish with anybody or anything.

Favorite Dish: FISH AND LOTS OF IT.

• rivercalm's Profile Photo

The Marine - Bar Restaurant Hotel: all inclusive:great food with the view and music

by rivercalm Written Jan 8, 2012

Great place to escape from the crowded streets of Whitby - decorated with taste, polite staff, excellent food and drinks.
    Tasting seafood cuisine - that's what it is all about in this coastal town - with the sounds of piano in the background (live performance) - it was a pleasure!

• Wine Tasting

• Myfanwe's Profile Photo

The Duke of York: Great Views and Fab food

by Myfanwe Written Aug 23, 2011

The Duke of York

The Duke of York is an attractive looking gastropub situated at the foot of the steps leading to the Abbey. We passed it on the way to the Abbey and vowed to call back after we had worked up an apetite climbing the steps and exploring the Abbey. Gareth had eaten here many moons ago and remembered that the food was good - it hasn't changed a bit. The interior was lovely and cosy with low beams and comfortable seating. It was quite busy so we were lucky to get a lovely window seat with views over the river and West cliff. To be honest I didn't look at the menu, I just saw Whitby wholetail Scampi at the top and knew I had to have it (If I looked at the rest of the menu I may have been spoilt for choice!). The Scampi was delicious and fresh, it came with chips and Peas and was a generous portion size.

I would recommend the food here and would definitely eat here again.

• Beer Tasting

• Balam's Profile Photo

The Duke of York: Nice Food, Great views

by Balam Written Aug 17, 2011

Duke of York

A nice pub at the bottom of the Abbey steps, great for a drink or something to eat, I have eaten here a few times but that was years ago, we recently visited and i was glad to find that the food was still just as good as it was then. I had Whitby Scampi which was really lovely.
    The pub also offers some great views over the harbour.

• Wine Tasting
    • Beer Tasting

• Humble Pie `n' Mash: Best non-seafood eatery in town

by jduck1979 Written May 11, 2011
    What it looks like outside

Recently rated #1 eatery in Whitby over on Tripadvisor (but since pipped into #2), "Humble Pie 'n' Mash" is a small family run cafe on the East side of Whitby, on Church Street, within spitting distance of the Captain Cook museum.

The owners (one of my best mates) had the building fully restored, and the cafe is themed in 1940's style, has 1940's music playing all the time, and has a shedload of antiques spread right the way around.

The main dish is a variety of pies, all served with Mashed potatoes & peas for £4.99 - eat in or takeaway available (including a delivery service). I've yet to try any of them, but i've not seen or heard a bad review about them yet.

They also do Hot & Cold drinks... Tea, Coffee, Hot chocolate, etc.
    The cold drinks range include bottles of premium fizzy drinks (including Fentimans) for about £1.55, as well as regular 330ml cans of Coke / Dr Pepper / 7UP / TANGO, etc.

Well worth visiting while in town (and not just to get a bit of variety from just eating Fish & Chips).

• Architecture

• The Shambles Bar & Restaurant: Good pub food

by conniehoney Updated Apr 4, 2011

Dinner here was a good experience in total.

The shambles has a great view to the harbour and some tables outside. The interior is a bit dark and the place is quite publike.

I chose to sit in the dining area, which is a bit quieter, and the tables here are large and comfortable.

The menu looks hideous, a home made thing full of spelling errors and even wrong texts for some of the meals.

The service was friendly, although it did not seem very organized.

My expectations from the first impression were not high, but I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the food.

Favorite Dish: I had the 8oz sirloin steak, which was deliciously tender and served with a mountain of home made crispy chips, whole mushrooms and enormous home made onion rings (or "onopn rings" as the menu would claim), as well as a fresh, crisp side salad. The blue cheese dressing wasn't as cheesy as I would have liked, being a great cheese lover, but it was good enough.

• kitkat1980's Profile Photo

Quayside: More whitby fish and chips

by kitkat1980 Updated Apr 4, 2011

The restaurant is owned by Stuart Fusco who was named british fish fryer of the year in 2004-05 and won les Routiers cafe of the year award in 2005. This restaurant sells the traditional whitby fish and chips, wish are some of the best in the area. It prides itself on using the best quality ingredients. The restaurant is a 80 seater licensed non smoking restaurant and had facilities for children and the disabled.

I personally have never eaten inside at the quayside but have used their takeaway and found there food to be excellent. I do however think the magpie is better, but this is cheaper and doesnt have a queue but is almost as good.

• Britannia2's Profile Photo

Terrys: Harbour side fish and chips

by Britannia2 Written Aug 12, 2010

Terrys

Many of the harbour side fish restaurants are quite expensive and have taken traditional fish and chips to new standards but a cheaper option in a very traditional establishment is Terrys.
    The restaurant is on two levels but of you can get up the stairs and there are tables in the window free choose these just for the wonderful view (see photo).
    The restaurant appears to be new and the tables and chairs are a light oak with white table cloths with flowers on the tables. The carpet is traditional heavily patterned and the decor simple. The restaurant is clean and the young female servers friendly and efficient.
    The food is hot and well presented. The fastest meal I have ever had from ordering to delivery to the table.

Favorite Dish: The fish is white and flaky and the chips a nice texture. Other options are salads, vegetarian option and soups and sandwiches and cakes and scones.

• runswick bay hotel: dont go here!!

by neilbyard Written Jul 1, 2009

looks nice from the outside,
    but it hides the inside!
    nice authentic decor. you get plenty of time to admire it, while you wait 40 minutes for your food. the pub was nearly empty!!
    we ordered gammon which was ok, only a few chips, salad without tomato, very limp!!
    my partner had the banksman salad, like a ploughmans.,
    only it came without half the ingrediants on the menu!!
    mainly NO cheese or apple.
    dont go here unless you want POOR food

• The Magpie: Fabulous Fish

by Nikki.other Written May 11, 2009

Yes you have to que (most of the time) but it is worth it. My partner and I have eaten here several times on our frequent jaunts to Whitby and I have to say the quality of the fish is exceptional. I recommend the Seabass or the Trio, but if traditional fish and chips are your thing, then these are the best fish & chips you can get - not the cheapest in Whitby but definately the best, be warned though! the portions are huge.

Not the trendiest eaterie in town, but friendly, capable staff, clean surroundings, reasonably priced drinks and great food.

Favorite Dish: Seabass in lemon butter or the Fish Trio.

• Alexander's Fish Restaurant: Generous portions

by jduck1979 Updated Dec 10, 2008

The place is basically a traditional British fish&chip restaurant..... perhaps not quite as prestigious as the famous Magpie Cafe, or as smartly fitted out...... but the food from here is one of the best in town (and possibly the most spacious).... of the few window seats (opposite the take-out counter), there's a pretty good view looking out towards the Swing Bridge, Harbour, East Cliff + Whitby Abbey.

Service is pretty good, and you don't get the nightmarishly long queues as you do over at the Magpie

Favorite Dish: Cod & Chips to take away (£3.50)......... for this, you get a generous portion of chips...... and precariously balanced on top a piece of Cod, deep fried in crispy batter (fish moist inside) and as big as my forearm!.... not like that frozen pish you buy in cardboard cartons from the supermarket..... if your surfing into this website from somewhere where Cod isn't regularly on the menu, and don't know what one is... look up a species of fish called the "Atlantic Cod" (Gadus Morhua).

• Beaches

• The Magpie Cafe: Whitby's most famous Sea Food Restaurant

by jduck1979 Updated Dec 10, 2008

The sign on the side of the building

This is Whitby's most famous Fish & Chip shop (though they also do other foods), as featured numerous times on TV (BBC Local Heroes, Rick Stein, etc) + frequented by the occasional famous person (Adam Hart-Davies off BBC Local Heroes, TV Chefs such as Rick Stein, and I think at least 1 Blue Peter presenter's been there while they were filming in town a couple of years back).

It's located in what used to be a house belonging to the Scoresby family, who owned a whaling fleet + invented the Crow's Nest look-out on the masts of sailing ships.

It's gotten so popular neighbouring businesses started complaining about the crowds forming outside to get in, with the Police threatening to nail the waiting customers with £50 fines for blocking the pavement.

Sometime during the last couple of years they converted a neighbouring shop that used to sell kippers and things into a takeaway area.

Favorite Dish: Not been there yet, as I hate queueing.

• Beaches

• Royale Fisheries / Fusco's: Chip shop Tip

by jduck1979 Updated Aug 5, 2008

This Chip shop provides both Eat in & Take-away food.
    You'll find it on Baxtergate, near the Petshop / Boyes / The Wellington.

Food is the usual British Chip shop fare ~ Cod & Chips, Haddock & Chips, Sausage & Chips, etc.

Some of most recent prices I've got from my most recent visits in July / August 2008:
    Chips = £1.20
    Cod = £3.60

Favorite Dish: Chips, with Salt & Vinegar.

Not TOO greasy, not too dry

• Trains

Instant Answers: Whitby

Comments

Whitby Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Whitby restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Whitby sightseeing.