Know about this? Rate It!
Walmgate Bar I
Favorite thing: This bar is interesting for its portcullis and gate and also for the remaining Barbican, built in the reign of Edwarxd III, - the only surviving one in York. The wood and plaster on the inner side is from the Elizabethan period too.
Badly damaged by battery fire from Parliamentarians in 1644 it was restored in 1648 and renovated in 1959.
The arms of Henry Vare are on the outer side
Walmgate Bar II
Favorite thing: Here's a view of the Walmgate Bar from the other side. Be careful as you take pictures as the traffic comes through this gate and can catch you unawares when the traffic lights change to green :-S
- Book now for big savings!
- Hotels.com Outstanding choice of hotels all over the world at fantastic prices.
- Save up to 50% off Hotels Everyday
- Expedia.com Photos, Reviews and the Guaranteed Lowest Prices
York Travel Guide
Explore the World
- Pikes Peak State Park Hotels
- Coeur d'Alene
- Malibu Hotels
- Pembroke Hotels
- Baffin Island
- Bellaire Junction Hotels