Know about this? Rate It!
If you're coming into or out...
If you're coming into or out of York on the A59 look out for a turn off to the village of Nun Monkton. On the map at the bottom of the page you can see Moor Monkton, well Nun Monkton is the next turning on the right as you head out of York.
Nun Monkton lies at the end of a two mile stretch of road that leads only to the village, so there is no through traffic. The village is set around a green, which is one of the largest in England. The green sports a Maypole which is 45 feet high, and also a duckpond (with ducks!). The village green is a great spot for a picnic.
At the very end of the village is the Church, at the end of a driveway. Clustered around the Church are some very nice houses that used to be part of the country estate.
The pub in Nun Monkton is The Alice Hawthorne and it is an excellent, typically English, country pub, serving good food, wine, and beer.
Near to Nun Monkton is the famous battle site of Marston Moor which lies off the A59 on the opposite side to Nun Monkton.
- Book now for big savings!
- Hotels.com Outstanding choice of hotels all over the world at fantastic prices.
- Save up to 50% off Hotels Everyday
- Expedia.com Photos, Reviews and the Guaranteed Lowest Prices
York Travel Guide
Explore the World
- Almond Hotels
- Payakumbuh Hotels
- Departamento de Managua Hotels
- Salton Sea State Recreation Area Hotels
- Skanör med Falsterbo
- Lake Oswego
- State of Maharashtra Off The Beaten Path
- Boulder Off The Beaten Path
- Turks and Caicos Islands Off The Beaten Path
- Branson Off The Beaten Path
- Fargo Off The Beaten Path
- Giardino Giusti
- Garmisch-Partenkirchen Off The Beaten Path
- Huangshan Off The Beaten Path
- Riomaggiore Off The Beaten Path
- Lord Howe Island Off The Beaten Path
- Oamaru Off The Beaten Path
- Yangshuo Off The Beaten Path