Know about this? Rate It!
Shrine of St. Margaret Clitherow
A sacred site in York that might be easily missed is the Shrine of Saint Margaret Clitherow, located in a small medieval house on The Shambles.
St. Margaret met a rather gruesome martyrdom in 1586 for being a Catholic in a newly Protestant England.
The life story of Margaret Clitherow, which can be read on the wall of the shrine, is at once ordinary and extraordinary. She was born towards the end of the rule of "Bloody Mary" Tudor and raised as a Protestant under Queen Elizabeth. She married, by arrangement, a Protestant named John Clitherow who owned his own meat business on The Shambles.
Shortly after her marriage, Margaret converted to Catholicism.
The Clitherow home soon became one of the main places of refuge for fugitive priests in England. Margaret had a secret cupboard with vestments, wine and bread for Mass, as well as a "priest's hole" to hide the cleric himself.
A board was placed on her and huge stones were laid on top. She was dead within 15 minutes.
Margaret was made a saint by Pope Paul VI, who called her "the Pearl of York."
Margaret Clitherow's shrine is open to all and there is no admission fee. However, a donation is requested and you can buy copies of the Margaret Clitherow Story for under £1.
The shrine consists of a single, small room in a house off the famous medieval street known as The Shambles. A plaque on the wall explains Margaret's story and there is a statue of her and a priest behind an altar at the front.
- Religious Travel
- Historical Travel
The shambles/ It's the name of...
The shambles/ It's the name of the street, could imagine the Middle Ages life style. Nowadays there are many souvenir shops. Another attractive street is ?gthe stone gate?h.
- Book now for big savings!
- Hotels.com Outstanding choice of hotels all over the world at fantastic prices.
- Book online.
- Hotels.com See maps & reviews for over 140,000 Hotels worldwide!
York Travel Guide
Explore the World
- Takdah Hotels
- Tin Shui Wai
- Wilaya de Rabat-Sale Hotels
- Greensboro Hotels
- Cotovia Hotels
- Hilton Head Island Off The Beaten Path
- Santa Fe Off The Beaten Path
- Wyoming Off The Beaten Path
- Barbados Off The Beaten Path
- Cape Town Off The Beaten Path
- Sudbury Off The Beaten Path
- Lisbon Off The Beaten Path
- Udine Off The Beaten Path
- Jordan Off The Beaten Path
- Province of Ontario Off The Beaten Path
- Rab Off The Beaten Path