Know about this? Rate It!
I'm a local of Stamford Bridge, and love this 'little' village to pieces.
The history of the place is amazing, with undiscovered Roman towns popping up all the time. The amount of natural beauty that the village offers is also stunning.
The closeness to York and only being 40 minutes away from the coast means that Stamford Bridge has everything.
The history that has taken place in Stamford Bridge is marked once a year with our Viking festival, were we see a Viking longboat parked on the River Derwent and Viking's roaming the village all weekend is bound to put a smile on your face.
I love this little village and York that is not even 10 miles away.
Growing up here has been a real pleasure and hope more tourists from York knew about the delights that 'Stamford' has to offer
- Hiking and Walking
Battle of Stamford Bridge
No, I'm not talking Chelsea FC's homeground but instead of a village outside York where the viking army met King Harold Goodwinson 1066. The battle was the last viking battle on British soil and the viking king Harald Hardrade died as Goodwinson won the game. Not that this mattered much since he himself was killed during the Norman invasion at the Battle of Hastings only three weeks later! Today, Stamford is a quiet place with some nice pubs and a camping ground worth considering if you come outside the flooding season since the village suffers from the well known Yorkshire floods. The photo shows the battle memorial and if you want to read more about it, then see the weblink below.
- Historical Travel
- Arts and Culture
- Book now for big savings!
- Hotels.com Outstanding choice of hotels all over the world at fantastic prices.
- Save up to 50% off Hotels Everyday
- Expedia.com Photos, Reviews and the Guaranteed Lowest Prices
York Travel Guide
Explore the World
- Los Angeles
- Pass Christian Hotels
- Alpine Junction Hotels
- Masai Mara Game Reserve Hotels
- Asheville Hotels
- Jamaica Off The Beaten Path
- Atlanta Off The Beaten Path
- Nashville Off The Beaten Path
- Arizona Off The Beaten Path
- Crete Island Off The Beaten Path
- Alabama Off The Beaten Path
- San Francisco Off The Beaten Path
- Quebec Off The Beaten Path
- Vermont Off The Beaten Path
- Salt Lake City Off The Beaten Path
- Lexington Off The Beaten Path
- Ottawa Off The Beaten Path