Yorkshire Moors, York

Know about this? Rate It!

• Yorkshire Moors
  • Etoile2B's Profile Photo

The Moors

by Etoile2B Updated Feb 13, 2007

The Moors outside York.

Victoria wanted to see the Moors, so on our way to Edinburgh we disembarked the train in York for the soul purpose of making Victoria’s dream come true. Once in the station we had no idea where exactly “The Moors” could be found. The station master pointed us in the direction of a bus headed out of town. To this day I cannot remember the name of the town where we ended up but there we were, practically in the middle of nowhere, with all of our luggage and barely two hours before the last bus back to York. Victoria ran into a storefront and inquired about the location of The Moors. When she reemerged we started walking, in the direction she was given, through the town. Time passed and still no moors. Our luggage started to strain our pace and I finally offered to sit on the curb and wait with our bags so Victoria could run ahead and find them. I must have looked like quite the vagabond sitting there on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere with a pile of luggage surrounding me. Suddenly a white van pulled up to the curb and a deep voice with a thick brogue called out, “Hollie get in the van!” The van door swung open and inside were 3 teenaged boys and my friends. The boys jumped out of the van and threw our luggage into the van and helped me inside. Apparently the driver was bringing his son and his son’s friends home from a church camp in Wales and were almost home when they saw my friends walking along the side of the road. Victoria explained to them her mission so he decided to make her wish come true. We spent the next hour driving through “The Moors”, skipping through heather and walking along the Roman Road, all with our own personal tour guide! We were invited home for supper, but sadly had to catch the last bus back to York and made it to the bus stop just before the bus was about to pull away. I will always remember the kindness of strangers and this memory is one of the favorites I have burned in my memory. My sincere thanks to that man and his son for their generosity and kindness!

• Hiking and Walking

YORKSHIRE MOORS

by keeweechic Updated Jul 21, 2003

The Yorkshire Moors are 35 miles North from York is the area called the North York Moors which separate North Yorkshire from the industrial area of Teesside. The National Park area comprises 23,000 hectares of Forestry Commission land. The North York Moors has England's largest expanse of heather covered moorland and is bound on the eastern edge by a dramatic unspoilt coastline of some of England's highest cliffs. Access to the sandy shore is limited to just a handful of fishing villages and the ancient towns of Whitby and Scarborough.

In late summer, the heather is in full bloom and the moors become a magnificent purple carpet, so pretty. I was lucky enough to be there at that time. At other times of the year, the moors appear barren and forbidding.

• Eco-Tourism

Yorkshire Moors Railway

by keeweechic Updated Aug 16, 2006

The North Yorkshire Moors Railway covers around some 28 kms of well kept steam railway which travels through some beautiful scenery of the North Yorkshire Moors. The Railway travels between Pickering in the south and Grosmont in the north. Grosmont is situated in the Esk valley on the north rim of the North York Moor, some 9.5kms from Whitby.

I'm not really a train enthusiast but the person I was travelling with, was... so we saw quite a few trains, not to mention travelling on a couple.

• Architecture

PICKERING

by keeweechic Written Feb 25, 2003

The market town of Pickering is steeped in tradition and has remained remarkably unspoiled through the generations. Like other villages of the moors, Pickering is like stepping back in time with its beautiful old shops and houses and warm hospitality.

• Eco-Tourism

• Libi73's Profile Photo

Aysgarth Falls. In the summer...

by Libi73 Updated Aug 25, 2002

Aysgarth Falls. In the summer the falls are relative small but after heavy rains they must be really awesome.
    Not far from Aysgarth Falls there is an abbey which served as the background in an episode of James Herriot. Worth visiting.

Instant Answers: York