Places to eat in York

Harlequin Coffee & Tea House
    Harlequin Coffee & Tea House

Most Viewed Restaurants in York

• haroldkroy's Profile Photo

Ambiente Tapas and Sherry bar: Food and Sherry treat!

by haroldkroy Written Dec 31, 2013

Second visit here (reside in York) and wont be the last. Wonderful food and drink selection and very helpful staff to explain and give simple advice. 4 of us ordered 2 sharing platters to start, ample and very tasty selection, followed by 10 dishes between us, was just the right size.
    We slipped up in not having the sherry flights but did try the sherry cocktail, was delicious! You can get beers and wines as well (Estrella on draught).
    If there is anything you need or want, including advice for the less adventurous, just ask, they were so helpful and polite all night.
    Add to the food 2 bottles of wine, 3 pints of draught, sherry cocktail, 4 sherry desserts and water,bill was less than £135 all in. Given the location that's half decent for York.

Favorite Dish: We all had our favourites having ordered 10 dishes, but the Morcilla (black pudding scotch eggs)was my personal one. Others loved the Seafood saganaki (a fish stew), Vieras con chorizo y noodles (scallops, chorizo and spiced noodles) but was hard to pick an individual favourite, we loved it all (especially the beetroot crisps!!!!).
    Just try as much as you can!

• Cote Brasserie: Dining in York

by S.K.I. Updated Nov 13, 2013

Booked a table on line for a special meal with my daughter whilst on a 2 night break in York.
    The food and wine was very good with plenty of choice. We were made very welcome and our waitress served us with a happy smiling face all evening. I can recommend the Cote Brasserie for a lovely meal.

Favorite Dish: I had Moules mariniere for a starter which was delicious and reminded me of our last holiday in France.
    Their Kir Royal makes a good aperitif too!

• petedriver's Profile Photo

Jorvik Spice: Top Curry House

by petedriver Written Mar 9, 2013

The waitress at Carlton B&B reccomended this curry house it is as good as we get back home in Bradford. Great service, delicious food and good value for money. Just outside city centre but well worth the 10 mins walk there. The waiters had Bradford accents so it was just like being at home.

Favorite Dish: Lamb Tikka Massala.

El Piano: Fantastic vegan food with a Spanish atmosphere

by ettiewyn Updated Nov 24, 2012

When Colin (Britannia2) organized our VT meeting, he proposed the El Piano for our venue for dinner, and I was very happy about it because it looked like a fantastic vegan restaurant - and so it was! The food really belonged to some of the tastiest I have eaten in a restaurant so far, and I equally enjoyed the colourful interior and the friendly atmosphere.
    As the name of the restaurant suggests, it has a Spanish theme to it, and there are indeed two more El Piano restaurants, one in Granada and one in Malaga. The one in York is the first one outside of Spain.

As I said, the interior is very colourful and has a Spanish/South American theme to it which I liked very much. Both times I was there (I revisited alone a few days after our meeting), staff were very friendly and polite. There are some main dishes you can order, but there is also a great kind of "meal deal" - called "Mains for one", which gives you the chance to taste three different dishes for £12,95. You can choose from twelve different dishes. Apart from this, there are also sharing trays, starters and desserts/cakes.
    I chose the "Mains for one" both times I was there, and both times I was absolutely full afterwards, the food was tasty and it was so much that I just wasn't able to cram a dessert in - what a pity! :-) Each of the dishes comes in a small wooden tray.
    Everything is purely vegan and the menu even shows how many percent of the food contained in a dish was grown in the area.

For a drink, I had a Fentiman's as recommended by my fellow VTers, I had the ginger beer which was very good (and really tasted of ginger, as opposed to that Schweppes stuff!) There are several shakes, smoothies, hot and cold drinks, beers and wines.

Favorite Dish: Dishes I chose were:

* Tinas "a bolivian delight, quite simply carrots & spring onions, a sprinkle of salt and sugar, rolled with rice flour and lightly fried"
    * Falafels "a lightly fried lebanese favourite, just chick peas rolled together with garlic & parsley"
    * Tortilla Española "egg-free spanish omelette, the same taste without the cholesterol"
    * Corn Fritters "fiesty little corn patties with a touch of chilli, onion & fresh coriander"
    * Thai Thai "potatoes and mixed vegetables gently braised in coconut milk with lemon grass, lime leaves & a tiny kick..."
    * Dhal "an el piano stalwart, this dish has not left our menu since we opened in 1998 - curried lentils, ginger, coconut & fresh coriander"

My favourite were the tinas which I ordered twice. The falafel was not that good because I thought it too dry, but the other three were all very, very good as well.

• ettiewyn's Profile Photo

Spurriergate Centre - restaurant: More than just a restaurant!

by ettiewyn Updated Nov 24, 2012

The Spurriergate Centre is located in a former church (St Michael's Spurriergate). The main part of it is a restaurant where you can have very affordable, but tasty and homemade food. There are many tables and a counter where you can order, everything is done by volunteers and the food is really fresh and just like if it was done at home! I had a bowl of a very nice chick pea salad for just £4! You can order several different dishes, and different sizes, too, to suit your appetite and budget. Local and fair-trade ingredients are used wherever possible.
    The volunteers were very friendly and I also liked that the crowd of customers was so mixed: Many elderly people, but also young families, locals, tourists, students... It seems that everyone can enjoy this place. There is also a children's play area.
    It seems that at lunchtime it gets really crowded!

However, the Spurriergate Centre is not only a restaurant, it is a community project that offers much more. There is a small shop (see separate shopping tip), but the main aim is to provide a space where people can meet each other and don't need to spend a lot of money. The team is also there for people who need someone to talk, as there is a listening and counseling service.

My feeling is that the Spurriergate Centre is a real institution in York, and it was a great and very different place to have lunch. I enjoyed the atmosphere very much and it just felt so comfortable and friendly! The architecture and historical look of the former church add another very special touch to this.

Favorite Dish: I had the salad with chick peas and apricots, and for a quick and small lunch it was just was just what I needed!

• Architecture

Goji: Vegetarian restaurant in Goodramgate

by ettiewyn Updated Oct 9, 2012

Goji is a vegetarian restaurant in the town centre and I decided to have lunch there on my second day in York. It is a small venue in Goodramgate and the interior looked very pretty and nice. As a meal, I chose a vegan wrap ("spicy mixed bean and spinach"). The wrap tasted nice, but I must say that unfortunately it was not filling at all, in fact it was very small! Thus, I had a piece of chocolate cake for desert. The cake was good.

Staff were friendly, but always seemed to be in a hurry and thus I somehow felt not too comfortable. I personally prefer the El Piano very much to this restaurant, but I still think it is nice to go here for a snack or so.

My wrap, cake and a bottle of water came to about £10,00.

El Piano: Pure Vegan!

by spidermiss Updated Jul 18, 2012

This is probably the first restaurant that is exclusively vegan and not a trace of dairy products and ingredients are used! Britannia2 (Colin) booked us in this restaurant for our evening meal of the 'Ettiewyn in Yorkshire' VT meet. Mirijam (Ettiewyn) is vegan and also gave us an opportunity to enjoy a vegan meal.

I loved restaurant's ambiance and surroundings and it was founded by family in Southern Spain during the 1990s hence it's Spanish and Moorish influences. They also have dining available outside in their back courtyard. They also offer a takeaway service.

Favorite Dish: I ordered 'The Mains for One' (12.95 gbp (July 2012) which consisted of three vegan dishes and rice. I chose the Tinas (A Bolivian delicacy), Chilli Sin Carne and Refried Beans which were accompanied by rice. I thoroughly enjoyed my meal and to finish off I had a jug of organic coffee. I also order an organic ginger beer. It came to a cost of 18 gbp (including tip).

El Piano Restaurant, York El Piano Restaurant, York El Piano Restaurant, York El Piano Restaurant, York My Mains for One, El Piano, York

• spidermiss's Profile Photo

Stonegate Teddy Bears & Tea Rooms: A Quaint Little Tea Shop!

by spidermiss Updated Jul 18, 2012

The shop and tea rooms are housed in a 15th Century medieval building. We had a quick browse around the shop earlier on in the day but we decided to return and have a coffee in its tea room.

It was nice to have a coffee there and look out onto Stonegate and admire its historic buildings. It's a perfect place to stop and have a drink whilst exploring.

The drinks cost 2.25 gbp (April 2012) each. It wasn't the perfect coffee I ever had but enjoyed having it in unique settings.

The shop stocks specialist teddy bears (including those from Charlie Bears).

Another friend and I returned in July 2012 where we had tea. We were sat on the 2nd floor and we notice that the menu has been changed. Again I enjoyed the quaint settings.

Favorite Dish: My friend and I had coffee there.

Ruth at Teddy Bear Tea Rooms Me and Ruth at Teddy Bear Tea Rooms Teddy Bear Tea Rooms Teddy Bear Tea Rooms Teddy Bear Tea Rooms

• spidermiss's Profile Photo

Creme Cone: Ice Cream Stop!

by spidermiss Updated Jul 18, 2012

This Leeds company ice cream van is parked at the Castle Museum grounds and sells locally home made ice cream. After my visit at the Castle Museum I had a lovely chocolate ice cream (with a chocolate flake and chocolate sauce) in a waffle cone. It was delicious and you could tell the quality of ice cream. It cost me 2.50 gbp (July 2012)

Had a lovely chocolate home made ice cream in a waffle cone (with a chocolate flake and chocolate !

Favorite Dish: Ice cream!

Ice Cream Van outside Castle Museum My ice cream! Ice Cream Van outside Castle Museum

• Britannia2's Profile Photo

El Piano: Vegan restaurant

by Britannia2 Written Jul 17, 2012

This was my first ever visit to a vegan restaurant. El Piano is a Spanish themed restaurant with young and friendly staff who are eager to please.
    Three dishes are £12.95 and there is a choice of about 12 dishes to choose from. Very nice mushroom flavoured rice is served too and this is shared between two people.
    Naturally all the dishes centre on vegetables but the food is tasty and well thought up and prepared well.
    The only downside was the coffee which was rather bland and served with soya milk.

El Piano Food at El Piano

• alyf1961's Profile Photo

THE SHAMBLES COFFEE LOUNGE: HISTORY IS MADE

by alyf1961 Written Jul 14, 2012

It was in this unassuming coffee shop in the quaint historic street known as the Shambles, that history was made. The very first VT-lympics draw (or more accurately, penny toss) Davesut called the shots as the tension mounted. Hopefully contestants will be pleased with their selections, (Barney wasn’t too happy with Libya, but that’s the luck of the draw). Good luck to everybody who’s teams are in the Olympics, (especially Toonsarah, I hope your team win at least 100 gold medals).
    Just as a footnote….the coffee was good aswell.

• spidermiss's Profile Photo

Betty Cafe Tea Rooms (Stonegate): The Yorkshire Tradition Continues!

by spidermiss Updated Apr 16, 2012

My friend and I are a big fan of Betty's. Please see Betty's York link for for further information about Betty's Cafe Tea Rooms.

We wanted to visit their second cafe, Betty's Stonegate, this time round. The cafe is situated on Stonegate, one of the medieval streets, and housed in a listed building. On the ground floor there is small shop selling a range of teas and coffees, cakes and gifts and on the second floor is a lovely quaint and intimate cafe. Please see the website for a detailed description of the shop and cafe.

Please note that the cafe is unable to provide wheelchair access because the the building is listed. The website suggests wheelchair users to visit the other York branch.

Favorite Dish: We ordered Bettys Traditional Afternoon Tea which includes a pot of tea, sandwiches, freshly made fruit scone with jam and clotted cream and small cakes. This cost 17.95 gbp (April 2012). As usual it was very good and we're looking forward to our next visit to Betty's!

Betty My afternoon tea at Betty Us enjoying afternoon tea at Betty Display of Cakes at Betty Betty

• spidermiss's Profile Photo

Harlequin Coffee & Tea House: The Critically Acclaimed.....

by spidermiss Updated Apr 15, 2012

This family run cafe is not far from The Shambles. I went for one of their "proper" milkshakes and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

- The Cafe serves some of the best coffee in the country and there wide range of tea choices.
    - All the food is served fresh and is home made plus organic ingredients are used.
    - A choice of Frappes, Smoothies and "proper" milkshakes.

Look forward to returning on a future trip to York.

Favorite Dish: I had a strawberry "proper" milkshake. The milkshake was made with icecream and it was natural and delicious.

Harlequin Coffee & Tea House Harlequin Coffee & Tea House

• Myfanwe's Profile Photo

Chandini: Tasty food

by Myfanwe Written Jan 7, 2012

We visited Chandini's on a cold December night after a day looking around the St Nicholas Christmas Fayre. It is situated right in the Heart of the City Centre. As luck would have it, it was a Sunday night and we could take advantage of the eat as much as you like buffet for £7.99. We enjoyed Poppadoms with pickles, a selection of mixed starters and then could choose from a selection of main meals accompanied by rice and naan bread....aaaaah heaven. The food was delicious, mix this with a lovely spacious restaurant with really good service, it resulted in a great value for money meal.

The 'All you can eat' Buffet is available on Thursday and Sunday Nights, see website for up to date details.

Chandini's Chandini's Starters at Chandini's Choice of Main meals at Chandini's Choice of Main meals at Chandini's

• Myfanwe's Profile Photo

York Hog Roast: Hearty Pork Buns

by Myfanwe Written Jan 7, 2012

There are two Hog Roast take away shops in York, one in Goodramgate and the other in Stonegate. The shops have been established in the City for over ten years and sell the most delicious hot meat sandwiches. You can choose from a selection of Pork, Beef, Ham, Turkey or Lamb 'Hogget' all served with a choice of sauces. If you're really hungry you can go the whole 'hog' and accompany your meat roll with home cooked roast potatoes or sample one of their giant Yorkshire puddings filled with a choice of meat and accompanied with a vegetable of the day and roast potatoes.

I enjoyed a rather lovely hot pork roll with apple sauce, it was really delicious.

A great pitstop...

Parsonage Country House Hotel
Travelodge York Central
Latest: Jul 10, 2014

Instant Answers: York

Comments

York Restaurants

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and York locals.
Map of York