York Shopping

• LoriPori's Profile Photo

NEWGATE MARKET: 110 STALLS - A VARIETY OF GOODS

by LoriPori Updated Sep 24, 2008

Entrance to Newgate Market

Located in a market square between the Shambles and Parliament Street, NEWGATE MARKET has 110 stalls offering a wide variety of dried goods, fruit and vegetables as well as fresh fish and meat.
    I really enjoyed browsing around the stalls in this wonderful outdoor market, taking in the fragrant smell of the fresh flowers and fresh fruit.
    Newgate Market is open daily from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. and until 4:30p.m. on Saturday & Sunday.

• Balam's Profile Photo

Minster Gate Book Shop: A Real Book Shop

by Balam Written Jul 8, 2010

Minster Gate Book Shop

This fantastic book shop is at the Minster end of Stonegate and is a veritable paradise for book lovers and Students. it is a higadily pigadily array of small rooms on numerous different levals that has books piled on shelves as well as the floors stairs and anywhere else you can fit a book. we had a look around but had to make a hasty retreat before we bought half the shop.

What to buy: second hand books, Discount new books to full price ones and Antique books

• leics's Profile Photo

York Beer & Wine Shop.: Excellent food.

by leics Written Jun 2, 2004

Worth a visit.

Mentioned in Rick Stein's 'Food Heroes', this tiny shop sells a wonderful range of cooked meats and cheeses, as well as providing beer and cider on tap (take your own container)!

Open Sun & Mon 1800 - 2200
    Tues - Sat 1100- 2200

What to buy: All sorts of cheese, wine and beer.

• Beer Tasting
    • Wine Tasting

• DAO's Profile Photo

YORK MINSTER SHOP: THE BEST SOUVENIRS

by DAO Updated Jan 12, 2007

York is both blessed and cursed with Gift Shops. Many are cheap in quality and expensive in price. If you are looking for thoughtful quality gifts, definitely go and visit the York Minster Shop. You can access it from outside of the Cathedral without having to pay. They sell the best Gargoyles (inside use only) that are based on actual gargoyles found in the Chapter House, inside the Minster. Go here first before you get bogged down in cheap tourist shops.

The gifts they sell include:
    • Tapestries
    • CD’s
    • Books
    • Food
    • Jewellery
    • Stationery
    • Roundels (small stained glass ornaments to put in a window)

The Minster Gift Shop is open from 10.00am to 5.00pm Monday - Saturday and from 11.30am - 5.00pm on Sundays. During the summer they stay open later.

You can also get into the Mintster for free with my sneaky way of getting to the Gift Shop from INSIDE the Minster.

• lou31's Profile Photo

Markets: City Markets

by lou31 Updated Jul 30, 2005

Mouthwatering displays

Not sure what the name of these markets was but it sure filled an hour looking around. It was very popular and pleasantly set out.

What to buy: There were so many stalls...clothing, books, antiques, china, fruit and veg, bags...
    I picked up a good travel bag for 4 pound and some nice fruit. If you leave it till mid afternoon the fruit and veg are discounted drastically.
    It is open Saturdays till 4pm.

What to pay: Strawberries...99 pence to 2.20 pound a punnet..
    Mandarines...10 for 1 pound.

• John Bull - Fudge & Toffee Makers: Sweets!!!

by sabsi Written May 13, 2003

A beautiful Fudge shop

One of England's wonderful sweet shops. Whereever you go - make sure you visit one and get yourself some tasty sweets and Fudge!

What to buy: Homemade Fudge. And sweets. Hmmmm lovely!

What to pay: Depends on what you are getting

• Britannia2's Profile Photo

The Teapottery Retail Outlet: Tea pots galore

by Britannia2 Written Sep 16, 2007

The firm have the largest collection of eccentric teapots in England at their main base in Leyburn but there is now a sales outlet in York. The teapots for sale are certainly not usual teapots and there are some wonderfully designed items for sale from teapots that look like cars or others that have mice on their lids. Usually very colourful too and each tea pot comes with a certificate of authenticity.
    Fully disabled accessible.

• Seniors

• carfan's Profile Photo

The Shambles

by carfan Written Jul 12, 2005

The Shambles is perhaps one of the prettiest areas for shopping in York.

The name comes from the traditional name for a street containing butcher shops and slaughter houses!. Thankfully, these have been swapped for a selction of small shops offering a variety of goods.

The street was built narrow to keep the light of the meat.

The buildings over hang the street and looking either up or down the Shambles gives you an idea of what life would have been like in York in days gone by.

Various: Bookshops all around town

by ettiewyn Updated Oct 13, 2012

All around town, I saw wonderful bookshops, many of them secondhand bookshops. I must say that I did not visit many of them, mainly because I knew I would be flying home this time, so no chance to take all those extra bags of books with me like on my last trip when I went home by train! But exploring more of those shops is certainly something I will do on a future visit to York.
    Secondhand bookshops are not that common in Germany and I am crazy for them whenever I visit Australia or the UK!

There is one bookshop in a pretty blue house in Bootham that I passed by every evening when I walked to my accommodation. The Little Apple Bookshop is located in High Petergate, you can't miss it because of the distinctive shop sign! There are also plenty of charity and other bookshops in the Goodramgate area.

National Trust Gift Shop: National Trust books & gifts

by ettiewyn Updated Oct 13, 2012

In Goodramgate, I discovered a National Trust shop and of course couldn't resist having a look. I like National Trust shops because of the things that are on offer: Interesting history books, guidebooks and coffee table books, quality souvenirs and gifts, and just a different range than your average souvenir shop. I also like that they usually focus on the local region and not on England or the UK in general. On the other hand, you need to pay a little more than in other shops.

What to buy: Souvenirs, books about Yorkshire, gifts

• barryg23's Profile Photo

Newgate Market

by barryg23 Updated Feb 27, 2006

Entrance to Newgate Market

Newgate Market is a daily outdoor market on a square between Shambles and Parliament Street. It's a nice antidote to all the regular high street shops on Parliament St. and Coney St. There are over 100 stalls here, selling a wide variety of items, though it's mostly food from what I saw.

Tullivers: Healthfood & Vegan

by ettiewyn Updated Oct 9, 2012

Tullivers is located at the junction of Goodramgate and Colliergate, in a very busy and lively area. Walking into the shop, I was first a little disappointed because all I saw was a huge arrangement of certain health pills, supplements etc. When I walked further into the corners, though, I also found a good choice of foods, including bread, cookies, spreads, tofu and other soy products (mainly Provamel). This is certainly a good place to go if you want vegan food, with some things that you can't find in a normal supermarket.
    Staff were very friendly, and I liked the more "traditional" look of the shop!

• ettiewyn's Profile Photo

Newgate Market: Fruit and veggies galore!

by ettiewyn Written Oct 9, 2012

Newgate Market is a wonderful market right in the town centre. It is very big and there are many different stalls, and I am sure I did not even see a fraction of it all, but what I saw I liked very much. I first went to the market during our VT meeting, and bought some grapes and peaches. On other days, I also bought tomatoes and bananas. It was all good quality, and much cheaper than in a supermarket, so I absolutely recommend it. Apart from these obvious advantages, it is also just fun to stroll around and see the stalls, do some people watching and enjoy the look and smell of all that wonderful food!

Opening times: 09.00am t 04.00pm daily, to 4.30pm Saturday and Sunday.

What to pay: I did not write down the exact prices, but it was about half of what I paid in a supermarket.

• Dabs's Profile Photo

Various: Gift shops

by Dabs Updated Jun 1, 2006

You could literally spend all day popping into shops, the entire center of town is filled with gift shops selling any kind of souvenir you could possibly want from York and more sweet shops than I've seen anywhere.

What to buy: I couldn't resist the clotted cream fudge and shortbread, I bought it for my mother in law and let's just say that not all of it made it home ;-) For my young nephews, they had all kinds of figures of knights and warriors in a variety of styles, I bought these really heavy pewter ones and regretted it later as I was lugging them home. But they really liked them!

• Marpessa's Profile Photo

John Bull: Mmm...fudge!

by Marpessa Updated Oct 3, 2004

Fudge!!

Sigh! One of my favourite snacks/food is fudge - yes, I admit it, I'm a fudge-aholic- so how could I go past this shop!

What to buy: Um, fudge is a good idea!! They have all kinds of flavours. There is also chocolate, peanut brittle, nougat, lollies and sweets. Basically everything you need to rot your teeth!!!

What to pay: Fairly good pricing (some stuff a bit on the expensive side)

Instant Answers: York

Comments

York Shopping

Reviews and photos of York shopping posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for York sightseeing.