Berwick-Upon-Tweed Local Customs

Most Recent Local Customs in Berwick-Upon-Tweed

• Joe_Green's Profile Photo

Berwick At war!!!!

by Joe_Green Written Jan 9, 2003

There is a rumour that goes about the place about Berwick, that somehow or other the town, just the town, is at war with Russia!! Yes, Russia, the biggest country in the world, huge nuclear arsenal, army approx 100 times bigger than berwick's entire population. Utterly ridiculous!!............... and 100% true!!!
    When Britain declared war on Russia (The Crimean War) England and Scotland (as usual) couldn't agree who owned Berwick, so the Decleration was on behalf Of Great Britain & Berwick Upon Tweed. Now Britain was victorius in this war loooong ago, but the peace treaty was on behalf of Just Britain, and not Berwick Upon Tweed!! So if anyone Russian annoys you in Berwick, you can shoot them!!
    (erm, my lawyers have advised me to distance myself from the last sentence of this tip...... Taxi!)

• Joe_Green's Profile Photo

Accents galore

by Joe_Green Written Jan 8, 2003

In Berwick (pronounced Berik, not Bur-wik) you'll encounter 2 of the greatest indeciferable accents in the english accent, Scottish, and Geordie. If you're in a shop, in a pub or anywhere, and someone turns, says what seems a slow, well considered sentence.... and you don't understand a word, panic not! I'm a Berwick resident, and I've n qualms about telling some of my friends with broad accents I've no idea what they're saying! (or in Scottish "I havnay a cloo way yee on aboot"). Don't be shy, people from Australia, canada, america, and england, all of us united and also divided by a common language!

Instant Answers: Berwick-Upon-Tweed

Berwick-Upon-Tweed Local Customs

Reviews and photos of Berwick-Upon-Tweed local customs posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Berwick-Upon-Tweed sightseeing.

View all Berwick-Upon-Tweed hotels