Nottingham Restaurants

Gluten Free canapés - delicious!
    by PrincessMonja
  • Ham Hock Terrine and Gluten Free bread - yum!
    Ham Hock Terrine and Gluten Free bread -...
    by PrincessMonja
  • A trio of Gluten Free desserts - wonderful!
    A trio of Gluten Free desserts -...

Most Recent Restaurants in Nottingham

• PrincessMonja's Profile Photo

Bistro Live: Great food, great fun!

by PrincessMonja Written May 12, 2014
    Gluten Free canap��s - delicious!

Now this isn't really a restaurant, but I was so impressed with the food that I thought it deserved it's own restaurant review.

If you've read some of my other reviews you will know that I have to follow a Gluten Free diet, and this can sometimes be difficult when eating out. I contacted Bistro Live to inform them when I was coming and that I was Gluten Free, and they emailed me back (almost immediately) with a selection of dishes that their chefs could prepare for me without gluten, so I selected my dishes and 'pre-ordered' them.

The presentation of all the food was excellent, and it didn't just look good, it tasted fantastic! The service was outstanding, even to the point of offering to bring an alternative 'lighter' fruit salad for dessert if we wanted (not needed as the desserts were all fab!!).

Favorite Dish: On arrival at the venue there were nachos on the table for everyone, once we'd sat down and made ourselves comfortable our lovely waiter brought me my own gluten free nachos! This was then followed by canapés for everyone, and again I received my own gluten free selection of goodies! Then my pre ordered food arrived, I had the Ham Hock Terrine with Gluten Free Bread, and I also given extra gluten free bread. My main course was chicken in a parmesan sauce, with cubed potatoes, green beans and roasted cherry tomatoes (sorry I ate this before I remembered to photograph it!!) For dessert I had a super yummy trio of Gluten Free desserts.

Great food, great service, great fun - Go! You'll leave with a content stomach and a smile on your face.

• Women's Travel

• King_Golo's Profile Photo

Jam Cafe: Jam Cafe

by King_Golo Written Apr 18, 2011

Jam Cafe is a very nice and independently run cafe in central Nottingham. They offer good food for a good price. The walls are decorated with old records and pictures and the TV shows NYC movies without sound. All in all a very nice place to be!

Favorite Dish: I had the soup de jour which was Tomato & Basil Soup. Highly recommendable!

Kean's Head (Revisited): Quality pub grub

by bonio Updated Apr 4, 2011

Onw of the excellent Castle Rock (a local brewery) pubs, always a good pint in their pubs and here very good food too.
    A quiet Monday afternoon visit for us, good selection of ales for me and a kriek for Mrs B, both happy there then!
    Vegetarian antipasto for herself and ploughmans lunch for me, both nicely prepared and presented and extremely tasty.
    Well worth a visit.

Canalhouse: Boats included!

by bonio Updated Apr 4, 2011

Well, the only pub I've been in that has a canal inside! certainly unique.
    It's one of the Castle Rock chain of pubs in the Nottingham area so, as ever, a good choice of beers, both foreign and locally brewed real ales. The ones we tried were excellent, sadly the food not really anything to write home about though. Interesting menu to choose from but the patatas bravas and lamb kofte were not very authentic, pizza for Mrs Bonio better recieved, I guess it's down to your own taste.
    Certainly be back for a beer!

• kat021's Profile Photo

Scruffy's: Food for all

by kat021 Updated Apr 4, 2011

A lovely restuarant that manages to be both large enough for a great atmosphere and small enough to be cosy.
    You can sit on a small table for an intimate meal or theres larger tables for big groups.

There is a variety of foods such as lasagne, pastas, lots of starters, vegetarian options etc... and a choice of deserts including the very sweet deep-fried Mars Bars!

The portions are very generous and the prices are good, i'd say average, similar to the price in any of nottingham's popular restaurants.

Hint - its called 'Scruffy's' so don't worry about getting really dressed up, i saw people there wearing a dress and heels but also people wearing jeans and trainers.

• jo104's Profile Photo

Jas Cafe: Jass Cafe

by jo104 Updated Apr 4, 2011

What have they put in this coffee!

This coffee shop is attached to the Jass interiors shop which sells some funky gadgets. There are different areas you can sit & sip lovely coffee & think my house could do with this they stock tables, chairs, lighting almost anything you can think of.

There are tables outside with a very pretty little central garden & one would never guess you're on a busy main pedestrian street - the perfect hideaway.

For me the coffee was a good hangover cure

• jo104's Profile Photo

The Larder on Goosgate: The Larder on Goosgate

by jo104 Updated Apr 4, 2011

My goal was to seek out a delicious sunday roast in Nottingham & I think we found a hidden gem in the trendy Hockley district. The decor of the restuarant is in keeping with the grade II listed orginal Boots chemist shop, the walls are neutral creams & greens. Chandeliers adourn the ceiling & complement the chesterfield sofas.

They do a special of 3 courses for £14.95 & even though I am not a dessert person I could not bear to leave without indulging in their bread & butter pudding. For starters I had the skylark goats cheese, broad bean, mint & rocket salad followed by the best roast beef with all the trimmings. The portions were very adequate and extremly tasty.

The staff were helpful & you could tell that they do not over-order & reheat as once it is gone its off the menu & we were one of the last tables to leave.

Tues - Sat they do a lunch & dinner and sunday lunch is from 12 - 2.30pm

• traceyspacey's Profile Photo

4550 miles to Delhi: Mixed feelings about this place

by traceyspacey Updated Apr 4, 2011

As you walk in you there is a warm buzzy feel to the place. It was busy and despite the fact that we hadn't booked a table we were soon seated. There is plenty of choice on the menu, our order was soon taken. Our starters and drinks arrived fairly quickly. after we finished our starters. We sat there and waited and waited. We stacked the plates up in the middle of the table (there were 5 of us) and waited. I actually took pictures of this and we still waited. We tried to get someones attention to order drinks and to find out about our food.

We were told that it had been less than an hour that we had been waiting. We were told that a table of 17 had walked in and we would have to wait. They came in after we had ordered. We were also told that as we had ordered starters we have to wait longer for our main meals to arrive. The manager came over and knocked our drinks of the bill and said our food was just coming. Only the food was for another table. Our food arrived and I discovered that my Lamb Dansak had no chilli in it at all. I was offered a plate of chilli to put in it or to have a new dish made. So the dish of chilli was brought over and the same time my dish was taken away. So I was left with rice and a plate of chilli. Everybody else had their food, but most were lacking knife and forks that had not been replaced from our starters. I did get my dish back.

When we got the bill we asked for a discount as we felt that the service and quality of dishes was not worth the full price. We were told that we had not been charged a service charge (which I had not seen stated on the menu). We said that we would not be tipping anyway. We were given a 20% discount.

It was a shame, as far as I know this place has been open a couple of years and is michelin recommended. I am not sure that I would come back.

My dish was brought back and

Favorite Dish: Seekh Kebab starter was very good. Lamb Dansak was missing the chilli! No heat to it at all.

Price's for main dishes vary from £6-£15

• iwys's Profile Photo

World Service: Stylish

by iwys Updated Apr 4, 2011

World Service is Nottingham's most exclusive restaurant. It won the Nottingham Restaurant of the Year award in 2003, 2004, 2005 and 2007. But, you can still eat a reasonably-priced lunch here, as long as you reserve a table. A 2-course lunch costs £12 and a 3-course lunch £16.50. The clientele tend to be wealthier members of the local business community, but the atmosphere is not stiflingly formal. Don't feel obliged to wear a jacket and tie, for example.

Favorite Dish: The roast lamb is superb. And, if you like a rich dessert, try the hazelnut chocolate torte with lemon ice cream. Delicious!

• Luxury Travel
    • Wine Tasting

• iwys's Profile Photo

Saltwater: Rooftop bar restaurant

by iwys Updated Apr 4, 2011

Saltwater Restaurant, at the top of the Cornerhouse is a pleasant place to eat and drink on a summer evening. There is a terrace bar, with a nice atmosphere. The food is above average, with an emphasis on modern British cuisine. If you eat before 7pm, you can get 2 courses for £6.95 and you can also get a 50p discount on any pint of beer, which as they serve delicious draft Kronenbourg weiss beer, is the drink I favour when eating here.

Favorite Dish: The parma ham and cheese salad is a tasty starter.

• Study Abroad
    • Business Travel

• Nine Spices: Zest and style Indian buffet

by janfromnottingham Updated Nov 6, 2010

It's the delightful design of this restaurant that makes it so special. Situated in a basement, the room blazes a joy of colour inspired by the colour of Indian spices, turmeric, paprika, saffron, cayenne...
    It's a buffet restaurant and there are a good number of well made dishes, nicely spicy with good ingredients.
    The freshly made naan and selection of starters was brought to our table by delightfully hospitable staff.

Favorite Dish: It's hard to choose just one dish as there were so many available and I had a little of several. My litmus test of a good Indian restauarnt is the quality of the naan and vegetables. WE were not disappointed!

• uglyscot's Profile Photo

Nottingham Castle Cafe: inside or on the terrace?

by uglyscot Updated Jul 2, 2010

view from the terrace

The restaurant is small but offers snacks for visitors to the Castle. On a sunny day the terrace woukld be ideal, but the chill wind took us indoors. Soup was a good idea on such a cold day [tomato and basil with a roll £4], quiche or chicken and bacon sandwich £6. Tea £1.50 and scone £2

Favorite Dish: The basil and tomato soup was delicious

• Castles and Palaces

• uglyscot's Profile Photo

Cafe in the courtyard: the stableyard at Woollaton Park

by uglyscot Written Jun 8, 2010

cafe in the courtyard

The cafe at Woollaton Park is very popular with mothers of young children, elderly people and students. utside is pleasant except that we found it too chilly, so moved indoors.
    There was a selection on the menu and we opted for Warm Chicken and Bacon Salad ; and I had Homemade Spicy Beef Chili with Nachos.

Favorite Dish: my Chil with Nachos was very nice indeed

• Women's Travel

• Riverbank: Much, much, better elsewhere

by wearlylegs Written May 9, 2010

Go again? No chance.
    The most disjointed service I have ever experienced, with up to 5 different staff attending your table, (all out of sync with each others deleiveries / takings away etc); small, bordering on pretentious portions, and the worst wait for service I really can remember in over 25 years off adult dining (50 minutes at one point, and no-one seemed to want to produce the asked for bill, nor take the money when it did arrive).
    Also, a really noxious smell of sewage in the gents, so much my youngster gagged to the point of throwing up.
    And don't get me started on the £3 for a lemonade...
    Clientelle? A mix expected I suppose for that location, a mix of riverbank walkers (us included), with / without families, a few 'I have heard it's new so must get dolled up to be seen there and then tell all n sundry that I have been', and a few folk (perhaps from the nearby Meadows?), who would have been more at home in a ' 2 for a fiver' establishment.
    £44 for 1 starter, 2 adult mains, and a childrens main btw!

Favorite Dish: The haddock WAS a very good sized portion, (shame the beer batter was sans any beer taste though), and the spoon of peas was just that, a desert spoon full at best.
    My daughters homemade burger WAS one of the bext tasting quality burgers any of us could remember.
    The rissotto: a strange, almost aniseed after taste, and again, another small portion.

Lion: Lion

by bonio Updated Oct 23, 2009

A lunchtime visit, several real ales to choose from (tasters no problem) and a full menu on the blackboard.
    Enjoyed a very tasty steak and ale pie and a couple of pints too. Good place to visit.
    Looks like live music most weekends, a re-visit must be on the cards soon I think.

Instant Answers: Nottingham

Comments

Nottingham Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Nottingham restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Nottingham sightseeing.