Nottingham Restaurants

Gluten Free canapés - delicious!
    by PrincessMonja
  • Ham Hock Terrine and Gluten Free bread - yum!
    Ham Hock Terrine and Gluten Free bread -...
    by PrincessMonja
  • A trio of Gluten Free desserts - wonderful!
    A trio of Gluten Free desserts -...

Most Recent Restaurants in Nottingham

Lion: Lion

by bonio Updated Oct 23, 2009

A lunchtime visit, several real ales to choose from (tasters no problem) and a full menu on the blackboard.
    Enjoyed a very tasty steak and ale pie and a couple of pints too. Good place to visit.
    Looks like live music most weekends, a re-visit must be on the cards soon I think.

• The Banyan Tree: Style? over Substance

by youspurs1 Written Aug 13, 2009

I've wanted to visit this restaurant for a long time. It's my daughter's favourite and she keeps telling us how wonderful it is.
    We went last night (wednesday) and first impressions were good, it's a very attractive restaurant with a nice, modern decor. The music was a bit intrusive - a medley of bollywood numbers that was too loud.
    We were seated by the bar and offered drinks while we looked at the attractive and varied menu.
    I eventually chose the chicken vindaloo and my wife had a king prawn dish from the 'chef's specialities'
    We decided to have the non vegetarian starter to share, some popadoms with the optional extra pickles, and to accompany our mains we had pilau rice, and aloo gobi (potato and cauliflower) and a stuffed paratha.
    I always choose a basic curry on my first visit to a new place, because from the quality of that I feel able to judge how well the chef is likely to prepare the more exotic dishes.
    Our popadoms arrived and we were guided to our table. The extra pickles that I'd ordered were not there and it took a couple of attempts before the lady that was seating us understood what I wanted.
    I didn't rate the pickles at all. The mint riatha was plain nasty and the chilli and ginger tasteless.
    I finished my drink, and was not offered another for at least 15 minutes..I know I could have asked, but the place wasn't busy and I wanted to see how attentive the waiters were. Perhaps it didn't help that we'd been seated quite a distance from the bar/serving area.
    Our starter arrived and it was cold. It was a selection of the meat starters from the menu and without exception, every item on the platter had been overcooked and was tough and dry. The salad that accompanied it was miserable, a few strands of shredded cabbage.
    We were not asked if we had enjoyed the starter.
    Our mains arrived and, quite honestly, I was staggered. It was hot, at least, but my vindaloo had no flavour whatsoever and the chicken was dry again. I tried a bit of the sauce from my wife's dish - a vague taste of coconut, but not much else. The bhaji was the right colour, but again tasted of absolutely nothing. The paratha was wafer thin and had the look - and taste - of a circle of cardboard.
    The absolute final straw though were the king prawns that were the main event for my wife. They looked magnificent but hadn't been cooked! They were raw in the middle.
    We stopped eating after only a coupleof mouthfulls and asked our waiter (luckily he was resetting a neighbouring table) to clear the dishes and bring the bill. I explained that we thought the meal was unsatisfactory in every respect (well, the rice was OK) but would pay the bill and just never return.
    The head waiter appeared and apologised to my wife, saying that the chef had made a mistake (with one of his 'specialities'?) and forgot to slice the prawns in half, which had led to them being undercooked.
    As a consequence of this, he was not going to charge us for them.
    Whoopee do.
    What about the rest of the meal? He assumed, I suppose, that my wife could have just eaten the rice and bhaji on their own and, therefore, should have to pay.
    No mention was made of the fact that I had returned my meal almost untouched as well.
    The bill arrived - and was presented to my wife!?! We paid it and left.
    I really did have high hopes for The Banyan Tree, I absolutely love finding a good Indian restaurant - and everything about this place says it should be good.
    It's in the middle of nowhere, so it won't get any passing trade but must rely on quality and value.
    For me, I'm afraid, it was very much a case of style over subtance - and there wasn't that much style.
    Avoid. Like the plague.

Fox and Crown: Fox and Crown

by bonio Updated Aug 11, 2009

A short tram ride from the city centre, and in truth first impressions of the tram stop are not good, it's in an industrial area - anyway press on it's worth it. This pub is the home of the Alcazar brewery, several very good beers to try and also excellent Thai food at pub prices.
    A new favourite of Mr and Mrs Bonio, a return visit on the cards very soon.

Revisited in June 2009, beers and food still very good, a couple more photos now.
    Good outdoor seating on a warm day.

Le Bistrot Pierre: French cuisine

by iwys Updated Jan 24, 2009

Le Bistrot Pierre won the 2008 Best Casual Restaurant in Nottingham award, having won the Best Value for Money award at the Nottingham Restaurant Awards three years running. Their head chef has also won the Best Chef in Nottingham award.

The food is superb. The best time to eat is from 6 to 7pm, when there is a special pre-theatre dinner offer of two courses for £11.50. Also, after 7pm it is usually completely full. So, you'll need to make a reservation. The atmosphere is informal, so don't feel you need to dress up to go there, although you can if you want to. Two evenings per month there is a Soiree Gastronomique with 6 courses for £18.60.

I would say if you are only going to be in Nottingham for one day, then this is the restaurant you should eat in.

Favorite Dish: The carpaccio of beef entree is superb and the rib-eye steak, with peppercorns and garlic, is a delicious main course.

• Business Travel

• nylo's Profile Photo

Las Iguanas: Latin Luxury

by nylo Written Dec 3, 2008

We went there for the cocktails, but stayed for the food. And we're glad we did! Ended up being cheaper and tastier than what we wouldve eaten anywhere else. We'll be going back, should be come across another Las Iguanas :)

Favorite Dish: The bar food. 3 dishes for a tenner (i think)

Las Iguanas in Nottingham
    • Beer Tasting
    • Wine Tasting

• jo104's Profile Photo

Delilah: Delilah (Deli)

by jo104 Written Jul 11, 2008

Delilahs is an independent Deli, fine food store & wine merchant - you will find some of the most unusual foods here and a wonderful choice of hard to come by fine wines.

We started our boozy evening here with a few glasses of the recommended Saviougn Blanc together with a deli platter of cold meats and cheeses it was completely delicious. The sell biltong a south african delicacy. The staff are wonderfully helpful & will let you sample what they sell this is top quality stuff. There are seats to sit around a service bar so you can nibble your deli platters or sandwiches freshly prepared before your eyes.

Larder On Goosegate: Great British Cooking

by raquelitalarga Written May 15, 2008

The chef is keen for customers to be aware British ingredients, such as Cropwell Bishop cheese (local area) or Herefordshire beef, are mainstays on the menu. There are good deals for customers eating early and the 2 course lunch menu was good value.
    This building is important in the history of Nottingham. It is the site that the first BOOTS the chemist shop was opened by John Boot in 1850. His son Jesse Boot was a founding father of Nottingham University.

Favorite Dish: Brixham fish on the lunch menu.

Refurbished interior Facade more or less same today

Kayal: Southern Indian cuisine

by raquelitalarga Updated Apr 5, 2008

This restaurant opened August 2007, got rave reviews and still seems to be jam packed every night, including the cold damp Tuesday evening we ate there.
    The food is from the 'backwaters of Kerala', which means there is quite a lot more fish /seafood options on the menu than in the run-of the-mill Indian restaurants. This time we went for a choice of ... 3 course veggie, some amazing fried bananas(boli), and 'mutton stew' with 'appam' bread. It was all excellent, great value and the service was very friendly. The wine we ordered was not available so they gave us a more expensive bottle for the same price and instead of having to share the rice dessert they brought us an extra for free!

• raquelitalarga's Profile Photo

Higoi: All my friends rate this place!

by raquelitalarga Written Mar 25, 2008

Higoi is an intimate restaurant of about 8 tables with outstanding food.
    We ordered about seven dishes which we shared between the three of us. You cannot watch the chef at work but when it arrived ... we had to draw lots over who had the last piece of seared tuna or the melt in the mouth beef teppanyaki! So although less entertaining than the Ginza restaurant in Sherwood the food is probably higher quality. We were first there at 7.30 but by 8pm it was full. A couple of customers came in to order takeout.
    The only downside is that the location is outside the city centre and not on a good bus route, therefore we arrived by taxi.

• Sat Bains: The best, but expensive

by hnswst Written Oct 3, 2007

It's without doubt the best restaurant in Nottingham, and has the awards, including a Michelin star to prove it. The style is difficult to classify as it is so unique. It's expensive, but is actually better value for money than many chaeper restaurants

• northeast80's Profile Photo

Dim T

by northeast80 Written May 24, 2007

We were quite a large party of around 15 so we booked ahead and had the set menu to choose from at £15 each.
    Starters were prawn toast, dim sum served in nice woven baskets to keep them warm. We had seperate soy and wasabi sauce and ginger.
    For a main there three choices, all available as vegetarian with tofu. However one of my friends wasn't very happy when she was served a chicken dish instead of her tofu dish and was very releved when the none-vegi noticed before she eat the meat! This was the waitresses fault for getting them mixed up. We could have had Thai Green Curry, a Black Bean curry or a sweet and sour one.
    Desert was decidedly less Chinsese - chocolate foundu! Which was a great idea though we could have done with a lot more food to dip into the chocolate than we were given.

The finished starter Dessert Table setting

Kean's Head: Good pub food

by bonio Written Jan 9, 2007

City centre pub with good food and beers to go with it. Very tasty food on our visit in a small and comfortable pub, Mrs Bonio very happy with the vegetarian choices, Mr Bonio impressed by the food and real ales on offer. Recommended, give it a try.

• The Larder: don't complain they'll refuse to serve you

by stan_norman Updated Dec 20, 2006

I orderd chicken liver and wild mushroom parfit with whalnut bread. It arrived without the whalnut bread and when I complained I was offered some whalnuts to scatter on my plain white bread my companion had a rissoto which was wonderful except it had been served on a stone cold plate. When I suggested that good food deserved to be served on hot plates I was asked to leave the restaurant. The manager did not feel that his restaurant was able to serve food of a sufficent quality to be edible by anyone with discerning tastes.

Loch Fyne Oster Bar: Expensive Oysters

by iwys Updated Jun 7, 2006

I used to really like Loch Fyne Oyster Bar. The oysters really are superb, but the place has just got too expensive, in my opinion: one oyster costs £1.50 and half a dozen cost £7.95. However. Loch Fyne oysters, from Scotland, are even sent by plane to the best 5* hotels in Hong Kong, because they are considered to be the best in the world.

Oh, I love those oysters, but should I pay that much?

• Study Abroad
    • Business Travel

Beeston Tandoori Restaurant: Indian

by iwys Updated Jun 7, 2006

Beeston Tandoori is the nearest restaurant to the University of Nottingham hall of residence, so it attracts a lot of students, especially for the Sunday and Monday night buffets.

It opened about 18 years ago and it is beginning to get a little bit shabby. I think they are still using the original 1980s plastic flowers as decoration.

Favorite Dish: The tandoori chicken is not bad, but you have to pay extra for a very small portion of rice.

• Study Abroad

Instant Answers: Nottingham

Comments

Nottingham Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Nottingham restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Nottingham sightseeing.